Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP, Roger Goodell says bounty investigation of Redskins is not over

Monkart

Goodell thinks he's J. Edger Hoover, he's really getting out of hand!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/roger-goodell-says-bounty-investigation-of-redskins-is-not-over/2012/03/26/gIQAVpIvcS_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider

PALM BEACH, Fla.—NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday that the league has not stopped investigating allegations that the Washington Redskins and other teams besides the New Orleans Saints had bounty programs when Gregg Williams coached for them.

Graziano is also reporting on this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37468/goodell-bounty-investigation-remains-open

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Last week, when the NFL imposed discipline against the New Orleans Saints and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for the bounty program that went on in New Orleans, I wrote that the Washington Redskins were in the clear. In spite of Washington's having once employed Williams as its defensive coordinator and been part of the league's investigation into the bounty matter, the league's release announcing the Saints' penalties seemed to indicate that Williams' former employers were not at risk of being penalized. When I asked a league official whether the Redskins were in the clear, that official referred me to that section of the release.

However, when asked about this very issue at his news conference Monday evening at the NFL owners' meetings, commissioner Roger Goodell left open the possibility that further information could come to light that could implicate people and teams who have not been implicated.

"We haven't closed the investigation," Goodell said. "We haven't stopped investigating, and if we get new information, we'll act on it. We're not saying everybody's got a free pass here. If we get credible information, we're going to follow up on it."

Potential leverage in the cap penalty case? I would think so. The Redskins and Cowboys are holding good cards, but the league has a hand to play too.

How far back do you go, what experience does he have as an investigator? how reliable is the invo you're getting from way back then?

Hey Man. Well I don't think it matters the Saints were flat out told to stop it and did not. I don't think I have seen anywhere that the Redskins or Williams when in DC was warned. I think this is a ploy and yes Roger is out to get the Redskins for whatever reason.

---------- Post added March-26th-2012 at 09:04 PM ----------

Somebody send him the NFL Films video where Deacon Jones says that he's paid to knock QB's out of games. Maybe the Rams can give up the draft picks we just donated to them. :ols:

Donating for a worthy cause. haah. Deacon crapped bigger than Godell is.

Hey Man. Well I don't think it matters the Saints were flat out told to stop it and did not. I don't think I have seen anywhere that the Redskins or Williams when in DC was warned. I think this is a ploy and yes Roger is out to get the Redskins for whatever reason.

---------- Post added March-26th-2012 at 09:04 PM ----------

Roger is out to get the Skins becuase Mara is holding his leash. Mara is just afraid because when the Skins organization, talent, and coaching all matches up to quality and excellence ( which I think is coming sooner rather than later) he knows the Skins will be a consistent power in the NFC.

so, what if he finds it was going on with the redskins? gibbs isnt here. williams isnt here. are they going to punish dan snyder? that would be ludicrous, but, then, its par for the course from what we are seeing.

I'm not worried either...none of us should be. Goodell might use the threat of bounty punishment sometime down the road to "persuade" the Skins from pushing the cap sanction issue too far, but unless there's a whole cache of written and electronic evidence that the Skins as an organization--and not just Williams--promoted and sanctioned a bounty program while Williams was on staff, the Redskins are 99% in the clear here.

This is clearly a shot over the bough by the league. I wonder if it can be used against them though. If one week they say the Redskins have been cleared and will not be penalized and then a day after they file for arbitration Goodell announces that they are reopening the investigation... it sure looks dirty.

I thought a statement was released that this investigation was closed? I guess this is just a ploy to save NFLs butts from being taken to court. It's this kind of threat that gives me confidence we will win our case.

This is clearly a shot over the bough by the league. I wonder if it can be used against them though. If one week they say the Redskins have been cleared and will not be penalized and then a day after they file for arbitration Goodell announces that they are reopening the investigation... it sure looks dirty.

I tend to agree, but the league would surely argue that a bounty case was pursued in light of new information. Of course we would know better, but what is said and what is true are two different matters.

I'm not worried either...none of us should be. Goodell might use the threat of bounty punishment sometime down the road to "persuade" the Skins from pushing the cap sanction issue too far, but unless there's a whole cache of written and electronic evidence that the Skins as an organization--and not just Williams--promoted and sanctioned a bounty program while Williams was on staff, the Redskins are 99% in the clear here.

Yes. And really, all Goodell is saying in the article is that the NFL will continue to investigate whenever new information is brought forward. Which is all he CAN say

Archived