Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP, Roger Goodell says bounty investigation of Redskins is not over

Monkart

Extortion isn't a very big step from collusion. Which isn't a very big step from no ****ing kickoff returns. Which isn't a very big step from 10 dollar beers.

**** the NFL, and Goodell. They won't be getting any more money from me lol

'

My boycott of the NFL is not over either, douchebag.

Presuming we're not as boneheadedly moronic as the Saints to keep things on file, they've got jack on us.

Sounds like a veiled threat over the cap B/S from Herr Goodell.

Hail.

That's what worries me. This could be very, very bad for the Redskins if it turns out that management knew about it. Or that it even happened here in DC (and Matt Bowen has already stated it had).

We're still a month away, RG3 isnt ours yet...

I still think we're going to be okay.

For Goodell to implicate the Redskins in this mess he would have to conduct lengthy grilling sessions with Joe Gibbs, Vinny Cerrato, and Greg Blache. Which would be our equivalents to the Saints' top three of Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis, and Joe Vitt. As far as I know, there's been no news about Goodell going after Gibbs, Cerrato, and Blache.

Plus Goodell and his colleagues would have to disect thousands of hours of Redskins game film from 2004-2007. It took the NFL two years to diesct game footage and investigate claims of a Saints bounty program from 2009-2011.

There is still the possibility of testimony, no?

Which if it ever got that far, you'd presumably have the Redskins probable denial of any knowledge against the players at the time and Williams' alleged bounty offers.

I'm no great legal mind, but so long as there's no physical evidence tying us to this, I don't see how's there's a case.

Seem's more a case of Goodell posturing in readiness for the cap fight ahead.

Hail.

That's what worries me. This could be very, very bad for the Redskins if it turns out that management knew about it. Or that it even happened here in DC (and Matt Bowen has already stated it had).

I hate to say it, but it is not just Matt Bowen who has chimed in. Multiple anonymous sources were cited in the recent report about a 2006 bounty on Brad Johnson.

If my memory serves me, a few other players are on record about this as well (Phillip Daniels is one I think), although a lot of what they describe sounds more like performance incentives and less like bounties.

Greg Blache is also on record that we had a bounty system in place during Williams tenure. He probably helped us more than he hurt us though, because he protected Gibbs and Snyder, and said he ended the program as soon as he took over.

Which if it ever got that far, you'd presumably have the Redskins probable denial of any knowledge against the players at the time and Williams' alleged bounty offers.

I'm no great legal mind, but so long as there's no physical evidence tying us to this, I don't see how's there's a case.

Seem's more a case of Goodell posturing in readiness for the cap fight ahead.

Hail.

I would like to think that given the time elapsed and the fact that nobody who knew anything about this is still with the organization, that the league does not have much of a case. Then again, the league does not have much of a case regarding the cap penalty, and look how that fiasco is going.

I do agree this is in all likelyhood the league trying to get some leverage on us because of the cap thing, but I am by no means confident they will not actually use that leverage.

I hate to say it, but it is not just Matt Bowen who has chimed in. Multiple anonymous sources were cited in the recent report about a 2006 bounty on Brad Johnson.

If my memory serves me, a few other players are on record about this as well (Phillip Daniels is one I think), although a lot of what they describe sounds more like performance incentives and less like bounties.

Greg Blache is also on record that we had a bounty system in place during Williams tenure. He probably helped us more than he hurt us though, because he protected Gibbs and Snyder, and said he ended the program as soon as he took over..

That's what I've read too. I can't say that I would blame the NFL for punishing the Redskins if in fact there was a bounty program. They can't punish the Saints and then do nothing to a team that did the same thing.

And I have a hard time believing Gibbs didn't know about it. It was his team. It was his responsibility.

That's what I've read too. I can't say that I would blame the NFL for punishing the Redskins if in fact there was a bounty program. They can't punish the Saints and then do nothing to a team that did the same thing.

And I have a hard time believing Gibbs didn't know about it. It was his team. It was his responsibility.

Some of the players involved have already said Gibbs new nothing about it. They said when he came into defensive meetings it was like the principle showing upset school. They have also denied "bounties". It was characterized as more incentive for game changing plays, like fumbles, sacks, and interceptions.

OK but investigating us is all fine and dandy, but what all could he do to us? I mean he can take draft picks away from a team like the Saints because the coaching staff is pretty much the same minus Williams. I just do not understand how he would punish us when the coaches are not here any more?

The one thing that would happen is it would look very bad on the NFL to punish us if he did considering the whole salary cap issue, it would look vindictive.

---------- Post added March-26th-2012 at 10:12 PM ----------

Some of the players involved have already said Gibbs new nothing about it. They said when he came into defensive meetings it was like the principle showing upset school. They have also denied "bounties". It was characterized as more incentive for game changing plays, like fumbles, sacks, and interceptions.

Which ALL TEAMS DO! Some QBs give money to their OL for not letting him get sacked and stuff like that

Which ALL TEAMS DO! Some QBs give money to their OL for not letting him get sacked and stuff like that

Archived