Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)


Recommended Posts

On 7/4/2020 at 4:27 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I hate musicals too. But I’m excited for Hamilton. 
 

also, I’m more open to it because despite my hatred for musicals, La La Land is a masterpiece so that’s warmed me up to them a bit

 

Hamilton is more of a Hip-hopera than a musical. I don't mind musicals, but I'm not a massive fan or anything. I watched Hamilton last night and it is absolutely incredible. Every line is so precise and well written it's impossible not to appreciate the craftsmanship (not to mention the stellar acting and choreography). Absolutely deserves to be in the conversation for the best piece of theatre ever written - it's THAT good. Lin spent literally one full day writing two lines of this show. His dedication shines through. As a show, it is fully worth the hype.

 

Lin Manuel-Miranda said that the reason he wrote it, and the spark for the idea was he read up on Hamilton and couldn't help noticing a lot of parallels to Tupac. 

 

This is the first song from the play (out of context). I won't take the thread any further OT by banging on about how good it is, watch the below and decide for yourself whether the show is worth watching. I feel it gives a pretty fair representation of the tone of the rest of the show, and the calibre of the writing so if you don't like it, then the show probably isn't for you.

 

 

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like some musicals, depends on the songs.  Rocky Horror Picture Show is probably my favourite.

 

I would love to watch Hamilton, but I don't have Disney + currently.  Will that performance be on that platform over the long term, or is it temporary? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I like some musicals, depends on the songs.  Rocky Horror Picture Show is probably my favourite.

 

I would love to watch Hamilton, but I don't have Disney + currently.  Will that performance be on that platform over the long term, or is it temporary? 

 

They've not given any set time frame for it to be available... I haven't got D+ either but was at my sisters place at the weekend and she has it so watched it there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I Come in Peace (1990). Dolph Lundgren and Brian Benben take on a drug dealer from outer space. If that sounds like a terrible idea that’s because it is.

 

But fear not, this piece of **** is like a fine wine. Endlessly entertaining in it’s awfulness, there’s enough action and gore to bring home the goods.

 

There’s nothing quite like watching Dolph Lundgren think his way through a crime scene. Highly recommend.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Only on Netflix.  Hated it.  Maybe if I hadn’t spent the last few months watching America follow its overactive sense of individualism into a mass pandemic grave this movie would have hit different.  That’s life right now though and so all I’m able to see here is a film that romanticizes individualism and demonizes altruism and sacrifice.  Quarantine is literally labeled a prison in this movie, and the solution to this would make anti-maskers proud indeed.  This just wasn’t the right time for me to see a film arguing that what matters most in a pandemic is going out on your own terms.

 

You guys might get a different message out of it.  Who knows?
 

Pacing wasn’t great either, though I think this is mostly because of the decision to go with a non-chronological set up.  Bouncing between past and present can back fire, and did so here robbing the movie of any real sense of suspenseful build up.  
 

Wasn’t all bad though, I thought Frida Pinto and Leslie Odom did a fine job.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 11:22 AM, Springfield said:

Extraction has a GREAT one shot that lasts for like 30 minutes.

 

King of Staten Island was MUCH better than I was expecting (which was not much).

 

Looking forward to Hamilton though I decidedly hate musicals. So, hope the music part of this thing doesn’t suck balls.


HAMILTON IS THE ****! I’ve watched it no less than 3 times and listened to the soundtrack a handful more. Love it! It’s life changing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tread.  It's a documentary on Netflix.

 

Basically, this guy living in small town Colorado is tired of being an outsider.  He is a master welder but he feels that since he's new to the area he's not being taken seriously and the old money people there are squeezing him out.

 

So what does he do?  He buys a bulldozer and at night he turns it into a moving fortress complete with a 50 caliber mount with his welding skills.  He then rampages the small town, the businesses that he felt that wronged him and city hall.  Police are helpless to stop him.

 

True story.  Crazy documentary.  5 stars, bravo.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Old Guard was okay. I thought it would be more fast paced. 

 

Has anyone seen the Bruce Willis movie Extraction? Any comparison to the new one with Chris Hemsworth?

 

 

Edited by zskins
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

 

Basically, this guy living in small town Colorado is tired of being an outsider.  He is a master welder but he feels that since he's new to the area he's not being taken seriously and the old money people there are squeezing him out.

I was wondering what Zoony was upto these days.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 11:26 PM, Destino said:

I watched Only on Netflix.  Hated it.  Maybe if I hadn’t spent the last few months watching America follow its overactive sense of individualism into a mass pandemic grave this movie would have hit different.  That’s life right now though and so all I’m able to see here is a film that romanticizes individualism and demonizes altruism and sacrifice.  Quarantine is literally labeled a prison in this movie, and the solution to this would make anti-maskers proud indeed.  This just wasn’t the right time for me to see a film arguing that what matters most in a pandemic is going out on your own terms.

 

You guys might get a different message out of it.  Who knows?
 

Pacing wasn’t great either, though I think this is mostly because of the decision to go with a non-chronological set up.  Bouncing between past and present can back fire, and did so here robbing the movie of any real sense of suspenseful build up.  
 

Wasn’t all bad though, I thought Frida Pinto and Leslie Odom did a fine job.  

 

 

 

Reminds me of when I watched Purge for the first time, at the height of mass shooter craziness, and the 2016 Election fallout.

 

I would've walked out had I been watching it at a theater. Just hit every single wrong button. Classic case of blatantly deceiving your audience.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Elizabeth Harvest (Netflix).  I’m not sure how to describe this movie without giving too much away. If you like scifi horror, not the alien type but the “what the hell is going on here” kind, maybe give this one a look.  I liked it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...