Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

I feel the same way, but Lin Manuel-Miranda seems to be a special talent so I'll give it a shot.  I would have watched it tonight but I was out voted 2-1.  It's hard to beat cartoon options in this house. 

I would say you gotta put your foot down on such matters, but weren't you the one whose wife basically barricaded him in the bedroom with a limited food supply (like the ending to Sphere)?

Probably not a good idea

My wife and daughter are Hamilton fanatics. I’ve had to endure listening to the soundtrack in the background almost daily, and them singing along for almost 2 years.

And I take everyone opportunity to ruin it for them. It’s a source of great contention in our household. 

Musicals are fine. Pick your spots, and only add good songs. But singing the entire show? **** off with that ****.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

I feel the same way, but Lin Manuel-Miranda seems to be a special talent so I'll give it a shot.  I would have watched it tonight but I was out voted 2-1.  It's hard to beat cartoon options in this house. 

I used my newly invented DAD VETO POWER or it would have been more The Floor Is Lava. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So it's a musical???

I don't do musicals

13 minutes ago, Destino said:

Ironic musical cultural appropriation not your thing?

A couple of reasons.  First, Sin nailed it...I hate musicals, too.  I hate people spontaneously bursting into song and dance to advance a storyline, and that includes Disney movies.  The only exception to my rule is the Blues Brothers.  

Second, I used to work with an insufferable narcissist douchebag who before meeting his wife had no interest in culture, no interest in really doing anything other than getting drunk, hitting golf balls and chasing girls.  Which is absolutely fine if that's your thing...but upon meeting his wife who was extremely well educated, into the arts and culture...all of a sudden he was into it too, going up to NYC to visit her on weekends and coming back and ranting and raving about the broadway shows he'd seen.  And then he saw Hamilton and he just couldn't shut up about it.  

But for me and others that were there listening to him, it seemed more about the fact that he was THERE.  And it was a hot ticket.  And therefore he was cool, cultured and informed and of course it was just SOOOOOOO DOPE.  He was the same kind of guy who, when the Redskins or Nationals reached the playoffs, all of a sudden got interested when he didn't care about sports at all.

There's this good show on Netflix right now called The Politician, I watched a lot of the first season a few weeks ago.  In the pilot episode, the very first scene is a kid who's visiting Harvard and meeting with the admissions guy.  The admissions guy is like, "Well, why do you want to come to Harvard?"  The kid goes "Well, I want to be President one day, Harvard's produced the most Presidents so if I come here I increase my chances significantly." And they keep going back and forth, the kid is sharp, presentable, calculated, knows all the right words, knows all the things to say to make a good impression.  And the admission guy knows it, so he goes "Well, you obviously present very well, but I want to know WHO you are.  When was the last time you cried?"  The kid goes, "Well, last year at Christmas when we watched 'It's a Wonderful Life.'" The admissions guy goes "Everyone cries at the end of 'It's a Wonderful Life'.  Did you cry because you were moved?  Or you felt like you were supposed to?"   And the kid just gets really uncomfortable and goes "What's the difference?"

IMO, that sums up exactly everything I couldn't stand about that guy, no original thoughts of his own, everything was just a show, everything was just done to impress everyone else and make you like him.  And I'm pretty positive that he just raved about Hamilton because he knew he was supposed to.  All he wanted to do was to make you think that he was interesting, well cultured, well rounded...when deep inside he was incredibly insecure and empty.  I don't think he knew who he was because none of us knew who he was, either.

So when Hamilton comes up, I think of him and how he couldn't shut up about it all week after seeing it and I just roll my eyes.  I also like the arts, I can appreciate talent but I also don't feel the need to glom onto a cultural phenomenon if I'm already not inherently interested in it.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Jesus H Christ Spiffy. Instead of writing 5000 words about why you are avoiding it, just watch the first 7 minutes of the thing and go from there. 

Then come hang out tomorrow and drink my booze. I HAVE PLENTY. 

We are way overdue to hang but I'm not watching that ****.  Right now Sgt. Murtaugh is trying to talk Marky Mark into doing something patriotic for his country.

• Haha 2

Someone should make a movie about Spaceman refusing to watch a movie because he once knew a guy he didn’t like.  Interesting structured dialogue in noisy happy places sandwiched between quiet scenes of Spiff moving about his life.  End it with his friends watching the movie and loving it.  Final scene Spacemen outside lighting their house on fire.  

• Haha 5

Hey man, we all have our... Stuff

I cant watch One Hour Photo because throughout my child life, Robin William's was always the do-good, down on his luck funny guy... Or a robot.

Him being a creepy pervy guy was such a shock to the system

Edited by Mr. Sinister

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

Someone should make a movie about Spaceman refusing to watch a movie because he once knew a guy he didn’t like.  Interesting structured dialogue in noisy happy places sandwiched between quiet scenes of Spiff moving about his life.  End it with his friends watching the movie and loving it.  Final scene Spacemen outside lighting their house on fire.  

The point is that EVERYONE likes Hamilton.  I'm sure it's great but that whole **** musicals thing gets in the way.

Oh **** off. Hamilton is a way above average musical that, despite taking liberties with history, is worth every minute of attention it gets. Book of Mormon, Avenue Q, Jersey Boys, Wicked are also way up there too.

Anyone watch Thor's movie Extraction? Yay or nay?

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Anyone watch Thor's movie Extraction? Yay or nay?

If you like military action movies, yes.  I thought it delivered on the things you expect from an action movie.  Very straightforward plot.

• Thanks 1

Extraction has a GREAT one shot that lasts for like 30 minutes.

King of Staten Island was MUCH better than I was expecting (which was not much).

Looking forward to Hamilton though I decidedly hate musicals. So, hope the music part of this thing doesn’t suck balls.

• Like 1