Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Saw Adam Driver’s latest movie “65”.

A deep space transport piloted by Adam Driver gets hit by asteroids and crash lands on earth 65 million years ago.

The survivors have to cross ancient earth to get to the escape pod. They have to do this fast because the asteroid that wipes out the dinosaurs is about to hit.

I’ll give it a B-.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 2

Saw Scream 6 today.  If you like the Scream franchise then you'll like this one as well.  Lots of tense scenes although thought it unraveled some at the end.  I'll give it a B.

Few issues though

Spoiler

There was a lot of stabbing in this movie to just about every character, but as long as you weren't stabbed in the eye, mouth, neck or nose you survived no matter how many gutt stabs you took.

Also the whole set up at the end.  They do a Scooby Doo let's set a trap for the villian, but the movie and the franchise has established that there's always more then one killer and one of them is part of the group so trying to plan a trap you know you're giving it away which is what exactly happened.

Highlander III: The Final Dimension (1994)

This was a direct sequel to the first film and ignored The Quickening altogether, with the latter considered one of the worst films ever made. Like ever. Of all time. It's bad, I've seen it.

Final Dimension had some good moments where it expanded on Connor MacLeod's life and also showed a new locale (Japan)...but much of the serious content was obliterated by the amount of cheese thrown in. There are some threads left hanging, such as his current love interest being a possible descendant of his former love interest centuries before...oddly implied but never directly discussed. Mario Van Peebles (no relation to the store) is the over-the-top villain and hams it up in the most mid-90's way imaginable. He was going for The Kurgan approach but didn't stick the landing.

Final Dimension.jpg

Edited by Metalhead
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:33 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

Part Inception, part Kill Bill, part something I’ve never seen before. Definitely not a good movie to do drugs before. Need to be able to pay close attention.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:40 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Watched it again. It’s going to win best picture.

Nailed it.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Triangle of Sadness. 

I hated this, minimum 40 minutes too long. Tries to be a social commentary but is so heavy handed it’s ridiculous.

Act 1 is overly long and failed to develop either of the leads. 

Completely waste Woody Harrelson in the act 2. 

Act 3 has been done many times much better. 

Arthouse people will love it, I’m not one of those people. 

Last night the wife and I watched this movie called Margin Call.  She's in finance so she's enthralled by what's been going on this week with the Silicon Valley Bank and she wanted to watch this movie.  Whereas I'm like "What's a routing number?" (not really, but you get the point).

Anyway, this movie was really good and I'd never heard of it before.  It came out in 2011, IIRC.  It's got a surprisingly good cast, Kevin Spacey (you know, before everyone found out that he liked touching people inappropriately and was still considered a great actor), Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Demi Moore, Zach Quinto (the new Spock), Penn Badgley (the guy from the You show on Netflix), and Stanley Tucci.  

The plot of the film is fairly simple, these people work at an investment bank and they're laying off employees, one of which is the head of risk management (Tucci).  On his way out, he tosses one of the guys on his team (new Spock) a flash drive with something he's been working on.  New Spock stays late at work, crunching numbers and trying to figure out this model that Tucci was working on.  He figures out that what they've been looking at in terms of volatility for their mortgage backed securities (sound familiar?) has been wrong and their position is over leveraged.

If I had a bone to pick with this movie, they don't really dumb it down for the average layperson who really isn't into finance but that's offset by the good acting and writing to shift and show tension.  You might not understand all the lingo they're using but that's okay, you can tell some serious **** is going on.  And when Irons and Spacey square off, you don't really need to know the lingo to understand what their respective positions are.

It's really, really well done and it's got an 87% rating on Rotten Tomatoes which is in line with the B+ I'm giving it.  It's streaming on Amazon Prime right now.  I just saw that it only did 19.5 million at the box office (against a 3.5 million budget) and I'm wondering how a film like this slipped through the cracks, especially with a cast like that.

• Like 1

"The Siege of Jadotville" a pretty exciting war movieon Netflix about an Irish company acting as UN Peacekeepers is left to fend for itself in the midst of the Congolese civil war in the early 60s. 

Pretty good. I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5.
Watch The Siege of Jadotville | Netflix Official Site

~Bang

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 9:43 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Last night the wife and I watched this movie called Margin Call.  She's in finance so she's enthralled by what's been going on this week with the Silicon Valley Bank and she wanted to watch this movie.  Whereas I'm like "What's a routing number?" (not really, but you get the point).

Anyway, this movie was really good and I'd never heard of it before.  It came out in 2011, IIRC.  It's got a surprisingly good cast, Kevin Spacey (you know, before everyone found out that he liked touching people inappropriately and was still considered a great actor), Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Demi Moore, Zach Quinto (the new Spock), Penn Badgley (the guy from the You show on Netflix), and Stanley Tucci.  

The plot of the film is fairly simple, these people work at an investment bank and they're laying off employees, one of which is the head of risk management (Tucci).  On his way out, he tosses one of the guys on his team (new Spock) a flash drive with something he's been working on.  New Spock stays late at work, crunching numbers and trying to figure out this model that Tucci was working on.  He figures out that what they've been looking at in terms of volatility for their mortgage backed securities (sound familiar?) has been wrong and their position is over leveraged.

If I had a bone to pick with this movie, they don't really dumb it down for the average layperson who really isn't into finance but that's offset by the good acting and writing to shift and show tension.  You might not understand all the lingo they're using but that's okay, you can tell some serious **** is going on.  And when Irons and Spacey square off, you don't really need to know the lingo to understand what their respective positions are.

It's really, really well done and it's got an 87% rating on Rotten Tomatoes which is in line with the B+ I'm giving it.  It's streaming on Amazon Prime right now.  I just saw that it only did 19.5 million at the box office (against a 3.5 million budget) and I'm wondering how a film like this slipped through the cracks, especially with a cast like that.

Thanks, this seems like something I would enjoy.  Cast is solid, and that's what I look for. 

• Like 1