Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

That's surprising, sitting at 92% on RT...

Probably just a buncha shill reviews.

If you read the reviews on IMDB, even though the rating is 7.3 (when I looked earlier), like 90% of the reviews are people who think it sucked.

5 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I thought it was a lot of fun and had some genuinely tense/scary moments. It felt similar to malignant in that it wears a bit of humor on its sleeve at times and this also had some interesting things to ponder. 

The movie had great atmosphere and setup until the end of the first act.  Then it went 100% downhill with so much wrong and **** that just made absolutely no sense.  There is a laundry list of **** wrong with this movie.  Like a list that is 10 pages long.  I just cannot believe the praise it is getting.

Was talking to my brother today who recommended it and told him how bad I thought it was.  When I started to list out and mention things that were dumb/wrong, he was starting to agree with every single one of them.  

Just the decision making in the movie is as cliche/dumb as it can get. I'm talking like the Geico commercial where the chick is like "why dont we leave in the running car" and the other guy is like "are you crazy? let's go run behind the hanging chainsaws!" type of ****.  There is so much of that dumb **** in this movie after starting out so smart.  it's so bad.

8 hours ago, purbeast said:

Just the decision making in the movie is as cliche/dumb as it can get. I'm talking like the Geico commercial where the chick is like "why dont we leave in the running car" and the other guy is like "are you crazy? let's go run behind the hanging chainsaws!" type of ****.  There is so much of that dumb **** in this movie after starting out so smart.  it's so bad.

specifically regarding Tess, she mentions earlier in the movie that is her weakness, always running back to men and bad situations so it tracks that she doesn’t just leave when she could. She’s a fixer. 

I liked it for the zigs when you think it’s going to zag. The end of the first act and the start of the second. Justin Long’s character and the mini monologue he has at the end followed by what comes next. All the Red herrings throughout etc but I get where you are coming from. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

specifically regarding Tess, she mentions earlier in the movie that is her weakness, always running back to men and bad situations so it tracks that she doesn’t just leave when she could. She’s a fixer. 

I liked it for the zigs when you think it’s going to zag. The end of the first act and the start of the second. Justin Long’s character and the mini monologue he has at the end followed by what comes next. All the Red herrings throughout etc but I get where you are coming from. 

The very last scene before we are introduced to Justin Long's character is exactly when the movie got stupid.  Like literally the 5 seconds before we see Justin Long.  And from there it just went downhill.  

I thought it was good right up until that moment.

It also had some decent parts after that but the overall movie was just terrible for the most part from act 2 on.

Nope was weak AF.  Keep your expectations in check.  Just saying.

Is Smile still strictly in the theaters?  I definitely wanna see it.

I'm watching Top Gun Maverick tonight for the first time.   I'm going to ****ing BLAST my sound system for that one.  Rented it on bluray too since streaming sucks ass for sound specifically.

• Like 1

^^ Purbeast hates everything lol...

I saw Barbarian. I'd give it a B-.

What I liked: entertaining enough, creepy enough, some good laughs, some way out there violence, nice mixing up of timelines so that it's not just straight linear, had just enough twists and turns, having the setting be a derelict neighborhood with one nice house instead of the other way around (a derelict house in the middle of a nice neighborhood...think "It" for example), said "holy ****" more than once lol...

Did not like: decision making of some characters, none of the people who could have helped bothered to lift a finger (emergency phone operator, the police, the management rep for the house...all of them were rude and dismissive in service of moving the plot forward), a few cliches that didn't feel natural (especially the "convention in town so no rooms available"), no real explanation for the...um..."thing" to exist the way it did other than wanting to make it unnerving, not sure how the homeless guy knew as much as he did, and they did not stick the landing at the end.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 1

Watched See How They Run and Enola Holmes 2 tonight.

Saoirse Ronan was amazing in See How They Run, a murder mystery set at a 1950s London West End play. 

I really enjoyed the first Enola Holmes and the sequel was just as fun. Definitely recommend the sequel if you liked the first one. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

11 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Nope is one of the best looking, best imagined films in a while.

It’s not a great movie, tho.

Yeah that basically sums it up. 

@Califan007 The Constipated I just don't like bad stuff.  Barbarian was bad.

Top Gun Maverick I'd give a solid 9/10.

Football scene was LOL though what a terrible/silly concept.

One of the negatives I'd give it is how much they relied on reminding us of the first movie.  Whether it's with flashbacks, pics, music, familiar scenes (how many damn times we need to see Mav on his bike?), etc.  It reminded me of the latest Matrix in that sense, but it was actually a good movie.  

Super entertaining and man oh man, the sound and visuals in that movie are unreal.  Definitely some of the best in recent times.  It had my whole house shaking and woke my son up within the first 10 minutes lol, and we were watching in the basement and he's all the way upstairs.

8 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Watched See How They Run and Enola Holmes 2 tonight.

Saoirse Ronan was amazing in See How They Run, a murder mystery set at a 1950s London West End play. 

I really enjoyed the first Enola Holmes and the sequel was just as fun. Definitely recommend the sequel if you liked the first one. 

Enola 2 out, great. Loved the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Spirited at the theater. An Apple TV production.  Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds Star in this Musical update on the Christmas Story.   I guess they really sang, not bad singers.  A different take on the Charles Dickens classic with a new twist to the tale. You can go to the theater or if you have Apple TV, watch at home.  Gets a solid B.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thanks 1

I watched Nope and Smile.  I enjoyed the heck out of Nope.  

Spoiler

Weird movie with a truly bizarre take on aliens, and filled with memorably unusual characters. Also, I always appreciate anyone that creates a new interesting creature.  It’s a rare thing.  Most are just rehashed monsters I’ve seen a millions times before.  

Smile was good but I knew exactly how it would end about 20 minutes in.  

Spoiler

It had a bit in common with Fallen (1998) with Denzel Washington.  If you’ve seen them both, then you probably know what I mean. She has to figure out how to deal with a creature that ultimately needs to move on after the kill.  Fallen was a far better film that shot for an intelligent ending.  Denzel had a plan to end it all with himself.  Smile did the opposite, she never even considers that option.  She has no real plan other than drive somewhere predictable and I don’t know, hang out and argue with it?  

Smile delivers the creepy though.  Watch it at night with headphones on.  

• Thumb up 1