Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

I posted about this movie a little over a year ago (I know because I just read the posts), but damn is Memento one hell of a movie. Just watched it right now with my 17 year old sister. Her mind is mush right now. It was her first time.

My main question always comes down to where does the movie actually begin? Why does Jimmy Grantz say, "Sammy," before he is killed? And where did the name John G come from? Like who came up with that name? And it is too coincidental that Teddy's real name is John G. 

Amazing movie with some slight plot holes imo. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 12:06 AM, Mournblade said:

Spiderman Into the Spider Verse: B+. Gorgeous, slick movie with superb soundtrack and a host of interesting characters (particularly "Peter B Parker" lol)

There are just too many moments of agonizing Disney sentimentality ("I love you Dad!" "I love you soon Son!") that mess with the pacing. Otherwise

a really beautifully animated film.

Spider Verse was a Sony production, not Disney.  

• Thanks 1

Justice League vs the Fatal Five. Grade A. Stunned at how good this was. IGN gave it a 7.5, go back to sleep, you probably watched 5 minutes of it. It was great -- a Justice League Unlimited episode that shifts back and forth from the present to the future. The animation is gorgeous, the voice acting (Conroy, Eisenberg and Newberry reprise their roles) is terrific, and a whole host of new characters (heroes and villains) are introduced to the JL universe, all of whom are great. If this is direction DC Animation is headed in, the future looks very bright. 

Mid 90s, the Jonah Hill movie he wrote and directed. 

Produced by A24, they usually produce really good stuff.  Was excited when their logo was at the start of the credits.  It is not a visually stunning film, it actually looks like it was filmed on some Mid 90s technology.  Colors don't pop, low light scenes are kinda murky and maybe a little grainy.  Camera work isn't anything special.  The plot doesn't really drive the movie, it's more of a character sketch/study.

Loved it.  It was great.  Basically it's about a 10 or 12 year old kid who's looking for acceptance amongst a group of skateboarders.  Little bit of a coming of age story, which can go either way for me but this is really well done.  It's funny at parts, touching at others.  The characters are believable.  Music and clothes are a great throwback to the era.  Gets an A from me.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 3

I would have never known a thing about Free Solo if those dudes didn't go on the Junkies.  I'm glad they did because I watched it when it aired on Nat Geo because of it, and it was an awesome documentary.  That dude is complete nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

yNSHbI0NotoPR0uynwKyLN5dhxl-1.jpg

I've been watching a ton of movies lately, but none have been worthy enough to mention in here the way "High Life" is. This might be #1 for me when it comes to "that is not at all what I was expecting" movies.  I read the description on Google and thought it sounded interesting enough:

Monte and his baby daughter are the last survivors of a damned and dangerous mission to the outer reaches of the solar system. They must now rely on each other to survive as they hurtle toward the oblivion of a black hole.

Dangerous space mission?  Black holes?  And it's an A24 joint?!  Hell yeah, I'm in.  But no.  NO.  It was so much more than some space mission movie.  And I didn't realize until after the credits rolled that Claire Denis directed this movie.  She's a French director that's known for pushing the envelope when it comes to sexuality, and she pulled no punches with High Life.  I've seen some of her well-known French films and this was her first ever English movie.  It was more of a study of the human mind and the effects of isolation and desperation than a deep space research mission to capture energy from a black hole. 

High Life was one of the sickest movies I've ever seen, it had just about everything human bodies put out:  spit, ejaculate, breast milk, vomit, period blood, feces, and urine.  Rape, graphic sexual content, extremely graphic violence, and dead babies.  Oh, and did I mention the spaceship has a "**** room" full of futuristic, mechanical sex toys and robots?  And With an $8M budget, to say High Life looks low budget at times is an understatement.  Half of the movie looks like it was shot in an abandoned high school.  But that was done on purpose by Denis so that the sci-fi aspect was sure to be the secondary to the human element of the story. 

High Life is a top 10 weirdest movie I've ever seen, but I really enjoyed it.  Well-acted, beautifully shot, and a story that was unlike anything I've seen.  Pattinson was amazing in the lead, the gorgeous Juliette Binoche was the ship's doctor, and rapper Andre 3000 had a small supporting role.  As dark, depressing, and violent as High Life was, I thought it did a beautiful job capturing how our basic instincts take over in dire conditions.  There's an underlying tension throughout the entire flick as you can sense that **** is gonna go south.  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 4:49 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Bohemian Rhapsody was extremely meh.

YOU’RE EXTREMELY MEH!!!

On 4/29/2019 at 10:38 AM, Mournblade said:

Probably because the band Queen was very meh. For a band with a massive catalogue of songs, they only had a few good ones (eg. "Crazy little thing called love.")

Oh my god. Line up. I’m going to fight everybody in here.

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

YOU’RE EXTREMELY MEH!!!

Oh my god. Line up. I’m going to fight everybody in here.

I'm with @Mournbladeon this one.  Not to derail this thread but Queen was too all over the place for me.  One song is a showtune, another song is a hard rocker, then another song is a ballad and then a stadium anthem.  

They don't have one album that I can listen to all the way through without skipping a track.  I can't say that about a band like Led Zeppelin where I can listen to all of their albums all the way through (except their last one).  Or Pink Floyd where they have 5 or 6 albums I can listen to all the way through.  Or Black Sabbath, their first 3 or 4.  

No one's saying Queen wasn't talented, no one is saying Freddie wasn't a great singer and no ones saying that they were all bad.  I'll just say there's a lot of filler out there on their albums.

But since that movie came out, man, it's almost like a crime to say anything bad about them.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm with @Mournbladeon this one.  Not to derail this thread but Queen was too all over the place for me.  One song is a showtune, another song is a hard rocker, then another song is a ballad and then a stadium anthem.  

They don't have one album that I can listen to all the way through without skipping a track.  I can't say that about a band like Led Zeppelin where I can listen to all of their albums all the way through (except their last one).  Or Pink Floyd where they have 5 or 6 albums I can listen to all the way through.  Or Black Sabbath, their first 3 or 4.  

No one's saying Queen wasn't talented, no one is saying Freddie wasn't a great singer and no ones saying that they were all bad.  I'll just say there's a lot of filler out there on their albums.

But since that movie came out, man, it's almost like a crime to say anything bad about them.  

Unfortunately for every big rock band out there, they always get compared with Zeppelin. And they always lose. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 3:43 PM, Chew said:

Dangerous space mission?  Black holes?  And it's an A24 joint?!  Hell yeah, I'm in.  But no.  NO.  It was so much more than some space mission movie.  And I didn't realize until after the credits rolled that Claire Denis directed this movie.  She's a French director that's known for pushing the envelope when it comes to sexuality, and she pulled no punches with High Life.  I've seen some of her well-known French films and this was her first ever English movie.  It was more of a study of the human mind and the effects of isolation and desperation than a deep space research mission to capture energy from a black hole. 

High Life was one of the sickest movies I've ever seen, it had just about everything human bodies put out:  spit, ejaculate, breast milk, vomit, period blood, feces, and urine.  Rape, graphic sexual content, extremely graphic violence, and dead babies.  Oh, and did I mention the spaceship has a "**** room" full of futuristic, mechanical sex toys and robots?  And With an $8M budget, to say High Life looks low budget at times is an understatement.  Half of the movie looks like it was shot in an abandoned high school.  But that was done on purpose by Denis so that the sci-fi aspect was sure to be the secondary to the human element of the story. 

High Life is a top 10 weirdest movie I've ever seen, but I really enjoyed it.  Well-acted, beautifully shot, and a story that was unlike anything I've seen.  Pattinson was amazing in the lead, the gorgeous Juliette Binoche was the ship's doctor, and rapper Andre 3000 had a small supporting role.  As dark, depressing, and violent as High Life was, I thought it did a beautiful job capturing how our basic instincts take over in dire conditions.  There's an underlying tension throughout the entire flick as you can sense that **** is gonna go south.  

No **** they did not do any favors with that description. I watched this Saturday night and told my wife it was "some indie sci-fi movie about a dad and daughter surviving on a space station"

At one point she looked up from her phone and asked what perverted **** I was watching

• Haha 2

On 5/18/2019 at 6:45 PM, Chew said:

Aside from End Game, Fighting With My Family is the best movie I've seen in 2019.  

Really? Damn I’ll have to check it out. I saw the trailer and I had absolutely not intentions on ever seeing it. 

• Like 1

John Wick 3. This is a good time at the movies, but it’s my least favorite of the franchise. I thought there were some casting missteps, other than Anjelica Huston who was amazing as always.

My main gripe here is that the “association of assassins” mythology that made the first two interesting gets stretched too thin for my tastes. Almost a parody of itself, which is unfortunately a common occurrence in film franchises this late in the game.

I loved Wick for gunplay. Mixing some martial arts in works as a complement, but the ratio here felt off to me. It’s not bad fight choreography, there are just movies out there that do it much better (The RAID films), so it feels a little tired. Wick works much better when he has a gun.

All in all, I enjoyed it. There are some strong rumors about an HBO show (no Keanu). I’d like to see it. (3/4).

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 4:50 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

John Wick 3. This is a good time at the movies, but it’s my least favorite of the franchise. I thought there were some casting missteps, other than Anjelica Huston who was amazing as always.

My main gripe here is that the “association of assassins” mythology that made the first two interesting gets stretched too thin for my tastes. Almost a parody of itself, which is unfortunately a common occurrence in film franchises this late in the game.

I loved Wick for gunplay. Mixing some martial arts in works as a complement, but the ratio here felt off to me. It’s not bad fight choreography, there are just movies out there that do it much better (The RAID films), so it feels a little tired. Wick works much better when he has a gun.

All in all, I enjoyed it. There are some strong rumors about an HBO show (no Keanu). I’d like to see it. (3/4).

There moments where it felt like the same old tripes used in action movies. Still I enjoyed the movie and eagerly await part 4 in 2021.  John Wick gets an A- from me.

I saw "Aladdin" and it was pretty good. Naomi Scott looked great as Jasmine. The only flaw of the movie is Will Smith's Genie was more like an extension of Will Smith himself.  I don't think anyone can outdo the late Robin Willians's voicing, in the cartoon version from Disney's animated Aladdin in 1992. I'll still give the movie a B+

Finally, saw this movie: Pokeman Detective Pikachu recently.  It was definitely different.  I enjoyed it, even though it seemed a little weird to me.  I'll give it a B.

Edited by Rdskns2000

I enjoyed Brightburn. Not related to the DCU, but definitely a different take on the "Superman" origin.

There were some scenes that made me LOL, and some they made me say "Oh ****!"

It's not for everyone, but the "R" rating is deserved.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:26 AM, Renegade7 said:

Saw into the SpiderVerse, A+, visually stunning.  Love the after scene when he's remaking that 1960s two spider and pointing at each other meme, they went hard with this one

I saw this yesterday with my nephew. Man, I used to give DC the edge in animated epics, but this tops everything they've ever had a hand in.

I liked the unfamiliarity with all the characters. Made everything feel fresh, which is hard, because I know almost everything about Spider-Man before like 1995...

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3