Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

Saw this article today... looks like Russia doesnt agree with NK's actions either.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/10/world/asia/koreas-tensions/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Wednesday told CNN that despite being an ally of North Korea, it stands with the United States.

"On North Korea, we have no differences with the United States. One just shouldn't scare anyone with military maneuvers and there's a chance things might calm down," he said.

What if China is secretly pulling the strings to escalate this conflict while publicly chastising NK?

I think the chances of this are less than 1 percent.

China is trying to get rich and powerful. The last thing it wants is a war on its borders, a war that would involve 1) millions of starving refugees pouring into China and 2) massive amounts of US troops on its border.

I have no illusions that the Chinese do anything for altruistic reasons, or that they play fair in politics or business, but they are not some sort of Dr. Evil supervillains either.

Think about what would happen if a NK missle intended for the ocean drilled Japan?
Hopefully it just hits the tsunami-damaged nuclear plant where everything is already radioactive - no harm no foul.
What if China is secretly pulling the strings to escalate this conflict while publicly chastising NK?
War in Korea would be way worse for China than for any other country (other than the Koreas of course). They are the only country that shares a border with North Korea, and there are already a lot of ethnic Koreans living on the China side of that border. They don't want to deal with millions of Korean refugees.

And a strong South Korean economy is also good for China. It reinforces the supply chain between China, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan that is building a majority of the world's electronics. It moves capital and engineering knowledge into that supply chain. Having a large destabilizing war in east Asia would hurt the Chinese economy significantly. China wants to avoid war much more than we do (as illustrated by China staying out of every war that we have gotten ourselves involved in over the past few decades).

http://news.yahoo.com/south-korea-u-remain-missile-watch-north-lauds-033019709.html

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea and the United States were on high alert for a North Korean missile launch on Thursday as the hermit kingdom turned its attention to celebrating its ruling Kim dynasty and appeared to tone down rhetoric of impending war.

Despite threats it will attack U.S. bases and the South in response to any hostile acts, North Korea started to welcome a stream of visitors for Monday's celebrations marking the birthday of founding father, Kim Il-sung.

North Korea has stationed as many as five medium-range missiles on its east coast, according to defense assessments made by Washington and Seoul, possibly in readiness for a test launch that would demonstrate its ability to hit U.S. bases on Guam.

"There are signs the North could fire off Musudan missiles any time soon," an unnamed intelligence source in Seoul told Yonhap news agency.

Musudan missiles are medium-range missiles that have the potential to hit U.S. bases on Guam, although it is not known whether they have been tested or can fly that far.

Was doing some research on North Korea and apparently their military is heavily involved in the farming industry. Defectors of the military who frequently had to farm said that this was a highly important part of their job. Because of this, pundits questioned that NK would actually go to war

I can see how this is rhetoric which ramps up Kim Jong Il's profile in a society based on Confucius values which value elders over the young.

That being said, the April 15th anniversary of Kim Il Sung's birth is coming up, so they might fire off a missile then to make a statement, like they have in the past. But I doubt they'd be stupid enough to fire off a rocket at a US Ally and risk wrath.

CNN: North Korean missile in upright firing position, official says

(CNN) -- North Korea has raised at least one missile into its upright firing position, feeding concerns that a launch is imminent, a U.S. official told CNN Thursday.

This comes as the world continued to keep watch for a possible missile launch by the secretive government, and a day before U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is expected to arrive in the region.

In the latest daily tough talk from the North, a government agency is quoted by the state-run media as saying that "war can break out any moment."

More at link...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/11/world/asia/koreas-tensions/index.html

Missile movements: Is N.Korea trying to 'mess' with the world?

Is North Korea serious about military action? Or is it just testing the world?

A missile had been briefly raised to an upright firing position, stoking concerns that a launch is imminent, a U.S. official told CNN Thursday.

Later, another U.S. official said it's been tucked back into its launcher.

This comes amid another round of daily tough talk from the North. A government agency is quoted by the state-run media as saying that "war can break out any moment."

The latest move could signify that a much-feared launch is less imminent. It could also mean the government was testing the equipment.

media induced fear mongering. nothing is going to happen.

Unless someone screws up. When the powder kegs are lined up a spark is all it takes. A ship or plane moves too close and gets fired upon... and suddenly we could be at war. Think of all the people, the individuals, on either side that could do something stupid. With nukes in play this level of tension is bad.

I agree with you that NK is not going to do anything. I just prefer that everyone be a little further away from the edge.

The only thing we have to fear from a war with NK is China, because things could get dicey then. But China does not want a war with us because we rely to much on each other. So if NK were to do something stupid (attack us or our allies) they might be alone which would be doomsday for their regime. I do not fear a war with NK cause I don't think they are that dumb. The only fear I have is a nuclear attack on people who do not deserve it.

If you think that the father was bad, the son seems to be dangerous. Not as bright as the father. But still very dangerous. As China and US do rely upon one another. And to go to war with one another would be not good!

He is just flexing his muscles and trying to get some respect from those around him. Nothing that the world hasn't seen before.

Edited by HogNose

He is just flexing his muscles and trying to get some respect from those around him. Nothing that the world hasn't seen before.

I agree. I think this is just more of the same. The fact that he's new and unknown is the only thing giving this story any legs. Normally people would be yawning and rolling their eyes. I think that reaction still fits.

This is a tough spot. On the one hand no one wants war for the obvious reasons. On the other hand, how long do we let N Korea continue their nuclear program. It's an endless cycle the way we have been handling it. N Korea works on nuclear program, the world condemns and punishes, they threaten war while kicking and stamping their feet, we give them dialogue where they agree to stop working on nuclear program for a few concessions, N Korea goes against their word and keeps working on nuclear program. Process repeats. Meanwhile all this time keeps ticking by and their nuclear program advances further and further. 2-3 years from now they might be able to actually use a nuke. Glad I'm not in power because I don't really see how to stop the cycle short of wiping out their entire upper chain of command all at once so no one can go rogue and launch missiles. I don't see them ever stopping their nuclear program through diplomacy. Admittedly I'm not a historian but as someone that has been paying attention to world news since 2000, this seems to be the process. It's truly going to be put up or shut up time at some point and I hope our leaders can figure it out as soon as possible without war because the longer this drags out, the greater chance N Korea will be nuclear if it comes to put up time. This problem isn't going away.

Edited by Zazzaro703