Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

For those who have an Instagram account, check out @dguttenfelder. http://instagram.com/dguttenfelder#

He is the Associated Press chief photographer in Asia. Recently did a lengthy stint in North Korea, instagramming the entire experience. They didn't place any restrictions on the 3G he was using, so many posts were not detected by the NK government. Some really cool photo insight to the country.

I would link pictures, but the web-based instagram website doesn't allow it...

For those who have an Instagram account, check out @dguttenfelder. http://instagram.com/dguttenfelder#

He is the Associated Press chief photographer in Asia. Recently did a lengthy stint in North Korea, instagramming the entire experience. They didn't place any restrictions on the 3G he was using, so many posts were not detected by the NK government. Some really cool photo insight to the country.

it's always so bleak. disturbing to see the propaganda.

~Bang

8331d1f47b0c11e2902122000a9e5160_7.jpg

With the caption: "A North Korean doctor and a bank of video monitors inside a #Pyongyang hospital."

WoooooW!!

tumblr_mkqgh9D0yZ1rwsx6co1_500.jpg

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 07:22 PM ----------

North Korea moves missile launchers, issues safety warning to foreign embassies

As tensions continued to mount on the Korean peninsula, the communist dictatorship in the North deployed mid-range missile launchers to its east coast and reportedly warned foreign embassies Friday it cannot guarantee the safety of diplomats after April 10.

'No plans to withdraw' UK diplomats from North Korea

The UK has said it has "no immediate plans to withdraw" its diplomats from North Korea after its government warned their safety could not be guaranteed in the event of conflict.

North Korea earlier asked foreign consulates in Pyongyang to consider evacuating employees.

The Foreign Office said it was discussing its next moves with international partners.

It comes amid escalating tensions on the Korean peninsula.

On Thursday, David Cameron said he was "very concerned" about North Korea.

The UK prime minster cited the nuclear threat posed by the regime led by Kim Jong-un as one of the reasons he was committed to maintaining a round-the-clock submarine-based nuclear missile system.

more at link...

A joke to us, yes. South Korea and surrounding countries will be decimated. The North Koreans have had DECADES to prepare for an offensive. Stockpiles of indirect ammunition. They have every square inch of South Korea pre-plotted with artillery. I do not think they can win a prolonged war, don't mistake what I am saying, but they will win in their own eyes - regardless of the annhilation they take in the process - because they will have inflicted casualties against those who stand in the way of communism's spread)

Every inch plotted??? Tube artillery does have range limitations and most of theirs range less than 25kms Bottomline, nK is just blustering but in the event they aren't they would be stopped before they could get through the defensive lines north of Seoul. (BTW I haven't read any news reports that they have moved their offensive forces into place to conduct a cross border invasion but I have read one that they haven't done this).

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 10:04 PM ----------

War games in the early 2000's involving the Korean peninsula basically conceded that the entire US Military contingent would be wiped out in less than 6 hours. That military contingent is a "show" of force ..........

Where did you read this?? I have first hand knowledge and this most definately is not true.

Edited by nonniey

Every inch plotted??? Tube artillery does have range limitations and most of theirs range less than 25kms Bottomline, nK is just blustering but in the event they aren't they would be stopped before they could get through the defensive lines north of Seoul. (BTW I haven't read any news reports that they have moved their offensive forces into place to conduct a cross border invasion but I have read one that they haven't done this).

Really, no military strategist is concerned that North Korea could successfully invade South Korea. You are correct about that.

However, Seoul is only 35 kms from the DMZ, and is one of the largest cities in the world. The best estimates I have seen indicate that North Korea could lob well over 20,000 artillery shells per hour into downtown Seoul where 11 million people live, and at least 3 times that amount into the northern parts of the Seoul metropolitan area (where several million people live). Even if there is no risk of ultimately losing the war, there is an overwhelming likelihood of enormous civilian casualties in the hundreds of thousands (or even millions) before we manage to silence those gun emplacements.

The nuke stuff is just a sideshow in comparison, and an actual invasion from the North would be a joke.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 10:04 PM ----------

Where did you read this?? I have first hand knowledge and this most definately is not true.

You gotta think though no matter how prepared the US and S Korea are, N. Korea has missles right on the border and surely could launch a couple 100 off causing massive damage in S. Korea no matter how prepared we are. Def don't agree with the war games, but i don't think there is much the US could to do prevent major casualties if N. Korea struck first.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

Really, no military strategist is concerned that North Korea could successfully invade South Korea. You are correct about that.

However, Seoul is only 35 kms from the DMZ, and is one of the largest cities in the world. The best estimates I have seen indicate that North Korea could lob well over 20,000 artillery shells per hour into downtown Seoul where 11 million people live, and at least 3 times that amount into the northern parts of the Seoul metropolitan area (where several million people live). Even if there is no risk of ultimately losing the war, there is an overwhelming likelihood of enormous civilian casualties in the hundreds of thousands (or even millions) before we manage to silence those gun emplacements.

The nuke stuff is just a sideshow in comparison, and an actual invasion from the North would be a joke.

Beat me to it.

You gotta think though no matter how prepared the US and S Korea are, N. Korea has missles right on the border and surely could launch a couple 100 off causing massive damage in S. Korea no matter how prepared we are. Def don't agree with the war games, but i don't think there is much the US could to do prevent major casualties if N. Korea struck first.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

Beat me to it.

I'm not disputing they would cause casualties, in the event of war they would probably cause several thousand civilian casualties in northern Seoul and the communities south of the DMZ and more if they use WMDs. I was just pointing out they're not 10 feet tall (5'1 actually). Too many think the nK Army would roll over the Americans and annihilate South Korea forgetting that South Korea has an army too. The destruction of 8th Army or 2ID in six hours is just not going to happen.

Edited by nonniey

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but my main concern is that this wackle doodle has never lost anything. He has never been punched in the mouth or watched people die. He was born and raised in the heart of non-sense, believing and "knowing" the crap his father was saying was all true. What if he is so completely clueless about how the world works, that he thinks he can take back all of Korea. Now I have zero concern for him actually succeeding, but we are very near a tipping point in history. Someone, at some point, is going to try to step up and see if they can bring down the American "Empire". What if this dude provides someone that opportunity by setting a torch to South East Asia. China, Japan, the Philippines are all ready to throw down over some uninhabited islands that happen sit right on top of the largest oil field in Asia. Iran, Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan? I mean those dudes are already at war. Argentina would probably appreciate having the Falkland Islands back at some point. And the Germans are just looking for an excuse to leave the EU. I can hear France surrendering already. Is it really going to take a whole lot for the world to go completely ape "you know what"?

Edited by jrmooref

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but my main concern is that this wackle doodle has never lost anything. He has never been punched in the mouth or watched people die. He was born and raised in the heart of non-sense, believing and "knowing" the crap his father was saying was all true. What if he is so completely clueless about how the world works, that he thinks he can take back all of Korea. Now I have zero concern for him actually succeeding, but we are very near a tipping point in history. Someone, at some point, is going to try to step up and see if they can bring down the American "Empire". What if this dude provides someone that opportunity by setting a torch to South East Asia. China, Japan, the Philippines are all ready to throw down over some uninhabited islands that happen sit right on top of the largest oil field in Asia. Iran, Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan? I mean those dudes are already at war. Argentina would probably appreciate having the Falkland Islands back at some point. And the Germans are just looking for an excuse to leave the EU. I can hear France surrendering already. Is it really going to take a whole lot for the world to go completely ape "you know what"?

A whole lot of drama in your post.

Chubby isn't stupid enough to do anything. Any move he makes will annihilate NK.

I'm not disputing they would cause casualties, in the event of war they would probably cause several thousand civilian casualties in northern Seoul and the communities south of the DMZ and more if they use WMDs. I was just pointing out they're not 10 feet tall (5'1 actually). Too many think the nK Army would roll over the Americans and annihilate South Korea forgetting that South Korea has an army too. The destruction of 8th Army or 2ID in six hours is just not going to happen.

The North doesn't stand a chance, and their heavy artillery is probably at the top of the US/SK target list. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the South Korean civilian death toll is the hundreds of thousands before we can stop the shelling.