Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Largest Picture of the Sky

Ellis

Back story on this in case some of you haven't heard about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/12/nick-risinger-milky-way-panorama_n_861223.html

Nick Risinger's Milky Way Panorama Created From 37,440 Exposures (PICTURES)

SEATTLE -- Nick Risinger has always gazed up at the sky. But last year the amateur astronomer and photographer quit his day job as a Seattle marketing director and lugged six synchronized cameras about 60,000 miles to capture an image of the entire night sky.

Risinger, 28, set up his rack of cameras in high-elevation locales in the Western U.S. and South Africa, timing photo shoots around new moons when nights were long and dark. He programmed his six cameras to track the stars as they moved across the sky and simultaneously snapped thousands of photos.

He then stitched 37,440 exposures together into a spectacular, panoramic survey sky that he posted online two weeks ago. The photo reveals a 360-degree view of the Milky Way, planets and stars in their true natural colors. Viewers can zoom in on portions of the 5,000-megapixel image to find Orion or the Large Magellanic Cloud.

*click link for more*

Incredible by the way.

That's it. I'm getting a telescope for Christmas.

Before you do, I'd encourage you to go to some of the NOVAC outreach events and look through various scopes to see what fits your interest, budget and lifestyle. Once you become a member you can borrow various loaner scopes at no cost to get hands on time, check that a particular type of scope will fit your home, vehicle and intended usage.

http://www.novac.com/join/

You can take really different approaches to the hobby.

Some folks are really into imaging and creating fantastic pictures. They spend a lot of time processing images and little or no time actually looking through a scope.

Others use their own eyes to observe and outside of really bright objects like to Moon you won't see images like you do in print, but seeing the rings of Saturn with your own eyes, the moons of Jupiter, or hunting down and making out the gray fuzzy outline of galaxies many tens of millions of light years away is a magical experience.

it would be so awesome to be able to spend some time somewhere with absolutely no light pollution to be able to just look at the stars.

If you can imagine being able to see the heavens like that thousands of years ago without the knowledge of the science we have today it's not hard to imagine how a scene like that would inspire you to think of God or Gods and stories of creation and whatever else your mind would create.

Ok, where did you find them, I just scanned it all and didn't find them.

Click on the "i" button and it will bring up the constellations. It will also bring up a green line on which the Sun and the planets in our solar system are lined along. Look along it for the bright objects and when you put your cursor over them it will tell you which planet it is.

Wow, it's hard for me to even fathom what I'm looking at there. The universe is such a vast, awe-inspiring thing.

Images like that are all the proof I need that there is a higher power out there. Something that knew what he was doing when he put as all here. Something so powerful that he could create time itself and hold our very existence on the tip of his finger. Something so loving of his children that he painted them the most beautiful picture their eyes could ever see onto the infinite canvas of the night sky.

Thank you Xenu. I only wish my e-meter readings could reflect my gratitude.

Archived