Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Adam Schefter Twitter: Fred Davis, Trent Williams among 11 players facing discipline for testing positive

mzkp54

What is worse ? Smoking pot or shooting a gun in a crowded night club, being involved in murder or organizing and running an illegal dog fighting ring and illegal betting ring (combined with money laundry) - According to the NFL - pot is far far far worse ...

I know that Davis and Williams broke the rules and should face suspensions and fines . However . If what they are being suspended for is smoking pot ....which there is no evidence is harmful, or produces beneficial effects - i am a scientist not a user btw - it is a Joke that they face such harsh penalties . - Especially considering that this second offense occurred over a period that the players were told was not covered by the leagues conduct policy, while they were locked out and effectively unemployed (pot heads unemployed - am I shocked?) - it seems there is a little bit of scapegoating occurring here .

What is the point of this fine and suspension . Is it because they reflect badly on the NFL ?

People do realize that Micheal Vick for everything he did - Everything he did (Ron Mexico, Wizzinator, failed drug tests, Racketeering, directly running an illegal gambling ring, animal torture and abuse, loaning his truck to friends to DISTRIBUTE drugs, violating his probation etc etc ) - was actually only suspended 2 weeks from the NFL - Yeah he was out of football for nearly 2 years, and over that period was technically suspended, but erm he was physically in prison for 21 months and house arrest for an additional 2 months after that . Also while serving his suspension he was working out with the eagles - something players are generally not allowed to do - then a year later the NFL give him comeback player of the year award - something normally associated with players coming back after major injury or health issues (like Tedy Bruschi who came back after suffering a congenital heart problem and several minor strokes) kind of making a mockery of the award .

Ray Lewis - Was involved in murder - got a slap on the wrist and told by the NFL not to do it again . Not suspended by the NFL

Plexico Burress - His career has been littered with legal issues, suspended by the Steelers and Giants but never by the NFL takes a loaded pistol into a public place and discharges it (fortunately) shooting himself and not anyone else - was again out of football for 2 years because he was in prison - didn't even get a slap on the wrist by the NFL and was never officially suspended by the league .

There are others, some of who wear the B&G or have worn the B&G in the past and they have had major issues with the law . (Stallworth I actually think was treated badly by the NFL and has shown nothing but remorse for his actions in the DUI manslaghter event) ....

Then you have the players which Jon Jansen sugested may account for more than a third of the active NFL players putting god knows what in their bodies in the name of performance enhancing substances (or cheating the very sprit of competitive sport) who go unpunished because the NFL accepts it happens and will randomly pick someone who can be made an example of but really do not have a credible substance abuse policy because if it was enforced properly could see numerous household names dragged through the mud with the NFL as well ...

My point is the NFL has to be more consistent about these matters and really needs to look at what is more important . Using a recreational drugs is illegal but at the end of the day is not that damaging anyone but the pot head ...

Marijuana is great for medicine. I could easily see it helping the players muscles/tensions. Sadly, it remains illegal in places which includes MD and VA...

16 States wouldn't have decriminalized for no reason though. It's only a matter of time before people accept this as an official medicine. I know from experience and from observations.It was still unprofessional of them, knowing they could get busted.

Marijuana is great for medicine. I could easily see it helping the players muscles/tensions. Sadly, it remains illegal in places which includes MD and VA...

16 States wouldn't have decriminalized for no reason though. It's only a matter of time before people accept this as an official medicine. I know from experience and from observations.It was still unprofessional of them, knowing they could get busted.

If it were performance enhancing drugs, then I could probably understand it. But smoking weed and testing positive for it is just stupid. Davis could have went for over 1,000 yards this season if not for that. And T. Williams is a former 1st round draft pick. He should be more responsible than that.

breaking news: young football players smoke weed.

more breaking news: who cares.

Ummm, the NFL does and im sure Rex does seeing how he lost his number 1 target and our best OL.

So seeing how this is Davis's second time being caught do we extend his K? Figure he's prob not going to stop smoking and if he's caught again he's done for the year...so what do we do?

They are addicts. Addicts do stupid things like this all the time. They will not straighten up until they get help. Dr. Drew would love to have them on his show!

EDIT: More people go to rehab for marijuana abuse than any other drug. These guys really do need to take this seriously, or they will not be on the team much longer. It is not about them being "too stupid" to stop. They need help.

I don't know why but this made me laugh out loud hard. Marijuana junkies, hahahhaaa. More people go to rehab for alcohol than MJ. More people die due to alcohol than MJ, more people abuse, kill, rape and torture other people because of alcohol. It is just that the business of selling alcohol is so weaved into society that it can't be touched. Now that I slayed the elephant in the room, the guys doing this are just dumb kids. But nobody got hurt or died, so they need to learn and move on as best possible.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 09:03 AM ----------

If it were performance enhancing drugs, then I could probably understand it. But smoking weed and testing positive for it is just stupid. Davis could have went for over 1,000 yards this season if not for that. And T. Williams is a former 1st round draft pick. He should be more responsible than that.

Now that is the truth. This is a job.

A year would have been horrible in every sense of the word. But yeah, I don't remember hearing anything of the 2nd offense at all. Does anyone even know the date of the 2nd test they failed?

this information has been part of every single news article and story on the radio and tv since it broke.

how do so many people not know the answer?

also, why would you go around opining on the topic if you clearly haven't read the details of said topic; honestly it's like noone's even made an attempt.

(not picking on you specifically, just the general idea of it, as i've seen in across 3 different threads from multiple people.... you just happened to be on the last page :) )

Does everyone still want to trade Cooley?

If both gentlemen do not get help for their addiction then both will soon be out of the league. There is an old saying that if nothing changes then nothing changes

Lets pray that these 2 guys get the help they need for themselves

What is worse ? Smoking pot or shooting a gun in a crowded night club

The NFL didn't need to exact significant additional punishment because the individual was ALREADY IN JAIL

being involved in murder

Different commissioner at the time, and was never something that was actually charged so speculation not unquestionable fact of his culpability, unlike a drug test.

organizing and running an illegal dog fighting ring and illegal betting ring (combined with money laundry)

Again, the NFL didn't need to take additional action because he was already IN JAIL.

According to the NFL - pot is far far far worse

Except not at all.

Had Vick somehow gotten found guilty and yet just got given community service its likely the NFL would've taken actio nto suspend him for actions unbecoming of the league. Ditto for Plaxico. However, in both cases, the LAW kept them out of the game for years.

The NFL has a policy about ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES. No matter how much you dislike it, Weed currently is an illegal substance. The NFL has the punishments clearly and obviously laid out. Not to mention, if your argument was correct then the NFL would only have given a warning to Vick or Plax since on the first offense they don't do anything to you with regards to Weed.

I know that Davis and Williams broke the rules and should face suspensions and fines . However . If what they are being suspended for is smoking pot ....which there is no evidence is harmful, or produces beneficial effects - i am a scientist not a user btw - it is a Joke that they face such harsh penalties.

Forgive me if I don't buy the "I am a scientist" line. There's significant disagreement with regards to the scientific community on the potential hazards and harm of marijuana use. While it is almost universally accepted as significantly safer than something like alcohol, it still does cause impairment and there are potential issues that are still being looked at with it in regards to its reactions to other underlining conditions.

Secondly, none of that changes that its illegal to use, and thus in the leagues interest to keep their players from engaging in it.

- Especially considering that this second offense occurred over a period that the players were told was not covered by the leagues conduct policy, while they were locked out and effectively unemployed (pot heads unemployed - am I shocked?) - it seems there is a little bit of scapegoating occurring here .

They were told that it wouldn't be by thier players association which then failed to actually make that stick, and doesn't change the fact they made their choice based off speculation by the union and rather than certainty.

What is the point of this fine and suspension . Is it because they reflect badly on the NFL ?

Because the NFL finds that its in their best interest to deter their players from partaking in illegal substances and is not in the business of deeming certain illegal drugs as "okay" and others as "not okay" for their players to use.

People do realize that Micheal Vick for everything he did - Everything he did (Ron Mexico, Wizzinator, failed drug tests, Racketeering, directly running an illegal gambling ring, animal torture and abuse, loaning his truck to friends to DISTRIBUTE drugs, violating his probation etc etc ) - was actually only suspended 2 weeks from the NFL - Yeah he was out of football for nearly 2 years, and over that period was technically suspended, but erm he was physically in prison for 21 months and house arrest for an additional 2 months after that

Your argument is simply wrong, and you highlight why it was wrong. The union would've likely taken it to arbitration that he'd already been denied the ability to play football for 2 years and that an additional year or two suspsension would be excessive. Just because you wanted more of a sentence doesn't mean he wasn't suspended those 2 years.

Then you have the players which Jon Jansen sugested may account for more than a third of the active NFL players putting god knows what in their bodies in the name of performance enhancing substances (or cheating the very sprit of competitive sport) who go unpunished because the NFL accepts it happens and will randomly pick someone who can be made an example of but really do not have a credible substance abuse policy because if it was enforced properly could see numerous household names dragged through the mud with the NFL as well ...

You'd think a scientist would realize that suggesting baseless speculation and conspiracy as some sort of actual worth while fact is kind of foolish.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 10:16 AM ----------

I have no problem with people wanting to smoke weed. I actually support its legalization evne thought I don't partake. However, just as when you engage in any illegal activity you gotta do it understanding and accepting the consequences when they come. I do question their commitment, their common sense, and their judgement however when they're so interested in smoking weed that they'd justify their livelihood.

What is worse ? Smoking pot or shooting a gun in a crowded night club, being involved in murder or organizing and running an illegal dog fighting ring and illegal betting ring (combined with money laundry) - According to the NFL - pot is far far far worse ...

Buress went to jail. So did Vick. Ray Lewis was found innocent.

There is a reason he's "Sleepy" Freddie.

After failing the drug test three times and in a contract year he is now Dopey.

one blunt away from a year suspension for both of them without pay.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 11:31 AM ----------

Yet if they tested positive for alcohol it'd be okay under the law. I'd rather have them smoking pot than getting drunk.

Hmm losing a quarter of a million dollars for the rest of the season and potentially not getting a huge contract in free agency because the next failed test means a year suspension without pay or drinking Bud light?

Dope is for dopes

It is harmless. The law isn't how I determine what's right and wrong.

Yeah just because some fools in media, entertainment, etc have gone years, decades using it then admitting they wasted a significant part of their lives embracing the perfect procrastination drug instead of doing something productive is no reason to consider potheads among the weak who can't face reality or just get high on life. :rolleyes:

The 11 guys who pop positive were tested because of previous positive tests. So they are beyond being just fools or idiots they are weak pathetic addicts who are hooked on weed who need pity from those who attempt to use moral relativism to justify the players' selfish and reckless behaviour. Can you imagine if we were in the playoff hunt and this happened?

It is amazing to me how many people I'm hearing on the radio saying to just cut them/

It's bad to get a positive test.

But lets face it. If there ever WAS a "good" time to have to deal with a four game suspension it's now.

We're done. We've got nothing left to play for, and that includes pride.

Having them on the field isn't going to change that, and they are not players i'd say MUST get every rep they can get.

It's a big fat red flag, and should bear a hell of a talking-to and intense scrutiny in the future.

But it's not the end of the world, not the end of their careers, not the end of our season, and not the end of the rebuild.

Other than the fact that they have to absolutely clean up and cannot ever again test positive, there really isn't all that much about it that is as bad as people seem to want to make it in our illustrious local media.

~Bang

Archived