Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Adam Schefter Twitter: Fred Davis, Trent Williams among 11 players facing discipline for testing positive

mzkp54

Everyone's just assuming it's weed or has it been reported that it's weed?

Just hope it's nothing harder.

reported as weed. however, all non-performance enhancing drugs fall under the same umbrella.

long story short.. if Fred or Trent get caught again.. the suspension will be an entire season.

Yes I do. If you are trying to change the culture of a losing organization.

I think Williams is overrated. Davis has been very good this year.

Yes it will creat holes short term but long term it's better for the organization. It doesn't makse sense to tie up a boat load of money in 2 players that are a positive test from a 1-year ban.

I think Williams is overrated as well. That is a long way from "not good enough to the team" however. You say this will create a "short term" problem but I have to disagree. There is a domino effect that you aren't considering. Starting left tackles are rarely available via free agency and when they are they tend to be like Jammal Brown, old injured and not what they were when they made a name for themselves. Drafting one typically requires a high draft pick. The skins currently have the most expensive need in football, they need a starting QB. They also potentially need a RT, LG, and WR... all starters. Adding starting LT (a terribly expensive position to fill) and starting TE to the list puts other items on hold.

Right now is not the time to dig holes and retard growth. The two guys in question are not team cancers and they aren't destroying the locker room. . Cutting them would be an absurd knee jerk over reaction that would not make the Redskins better next year or the next 4 years.

Seriously. A surgeon, doctor, engineer, scientist or military member has contributed more to society than any of these lazy athletes.

I agree with you completely, out of context. But that has nothing to do with the conversation that was taking place.

How does it matter how good they are at a game?

Because that was the topic of discussion prior to being derailed a bit.

I want to reiterate that in the big picture, I agree with you and BLTO. Its just irrelevant to the question that someone else asked (which was a pretty awkward turn for the thread anyways).

I think Williams is overrated as well. That is a long way from "not good enough to the team" however. You say this will create a "short term" problem but I have to disagree. There is a domino effect that you aren't considering. Starting left tackles are rarely available via free agency and when they are they tend to be like Jammal Brown, old injured and not what they were when they made a name for themselves. Drafting one typically requires a high draft pick. The skins currently have the most expensive need in football, they need a starting QB. They also potentially need a RT, LG, and WR... all starters. Adding starting LT (a terribly expensive position to fill) and starting TE to the list puts other items on hold.

Right now is not the time to dig holes and retard growth. The two guys in question are not team cancers and they aren't destroying the locker room. . Cutting them would be an absurd knee jerk over reaction that would not make the Redskins better next year or the next 4 years.

Yeah it's a bit knee jerk. This really causes a problem for the FO because the positions you mention (QB, RT, LG, WR and maybe FS) do need to be addressed and are the biggest priorities. But now even if you keep both Williams & Davis, you stll can't ignore their positions in the draft because you have to be prepared if (when) they fail another test and immediately get banned for a year. So do you use another high draft pick on an LT for example to build depth "just in case", or do you it use it to draft a starter. (I think TE is probably easier to find later in the draft.) Forget free agency. We've tried that for 20 years.

It's just a very difficult position they have put the FO in.

Any NFL player who thought he was getting a 30 day grace period where drug testing was concerned after the lockout is an idiot. Freddie get's a mulligan from me because he's proven himself to be Vinny's only solid pick from that draft. I'm starting to worry that Trent Williams is more interested in emulating hip-hop culture (check out his plethora of tattoos and his ridiculous $100,000 "Silverback Gorilla" bling-bling chain) than he is in cultivating a successful NFL career. Some of these guys desperately need positive role models in their lives, before they get these big contracts. Small fortunes are being squandered on foolishness.

On the bright side... at least we're one step closer to better draft position... RG3 would fit well in DC!!!

a) i am not cool with this from either of these guys

B) apart from Orakpo, Kerrigan, Moss, and London Fletcher, these might be the 2 best players on the team. I am NOT saying to not drag them through the dirt for this, but this is also not a Rolando McClain situation.

not alright that these guys were recklessly selfish, but they also are our 2 best young offensive players.

You people are funny. Trent Will is a beast in his 2nd year. People crying over spoil milk. This season is lost and who cares that they gone the rest of the year. You know what that means? We get our Franchise QB without having to give up alot to get him. Another is Freddie stock has gone down now so we going to get cheaper than we thought. Its a win win. Let's see if Paulson is good and see if Willie Smith is ready. Chill out and enjoy a rebuilt even the losing.

You people are funny. Trent Will is a beast in his 2nd year. People crying over spoil milk. This season is lost and who cares that they gone the rest of the year. You know what that means? We get our Franchise QB without having to give up alot to get him. Another is Freddie stock has gone down now so we going to get cheaper than we thought. Its a win win. Let's see if Paulson is good and see if Willie Smith is ready. Chill out and enjoy a rebuilt even the losing.

Go to the book store and pick up "Uncommon" by Tony Dungy.

I won't complain about or defend these guys. But on the way home from the game today, my 14 year old caught the tail end of this discussion on the radio and he asked why these two had to be suspended? I told him why and he just kinda stared out the window. Disappointing since 2 hours earlier, he was cheering his butt off for Davis.

Forget what Dungy wrote. What ever works for him and his career ain't gonna work for everbody. You don't like the idea until we have RG3, one of the best Olines in the NFL, elite defense, and depth. Then we are going to look back at the 2011 and 2012 draft as some of the best draft in our team history. I'm sorry if this idea don't sit right with other fans but these loses are something we have to go through.

Is there a reason why every news outlet reporting this story indicates 11 players tested positive but for weeks the only 2 names that all articles mention are Fred Davis and Trent Williams. Either they are the only 2 starters to get busted or... the redskins are officially the most hated franchise in the NFL

sure, we'll get Fred cheaper now. and Trent has been playing better (minus some dumb penalties)

BUT.. we now have to live with the fact that if either of these guys get caught 1 more time.. they are gone for a year.

If its no big deal that such integral parts of our offense could suddenly be suspended for 16 games, then I guess all this is funny.

but I dont think its funny at all.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 08:33 PM ----------

Is there a reason why every news outlet reporting this story indicates 11 players tested positive but for weeks the only 2 names that all articles mention are Fred Davis and Trent Williams. Either they are the only 2 starters to get busted or... the redskins are officially the most hated franchise in the NFL

they are the only 2 to get caught multiple times.

1st offenses, your name isn't released and you face no suspension.

Those two are repeat offenders it seems, which is why they are facing suspension and the others are not.

sure, we'll get Fred cheaper now. and Trent has been playing better (minus some dumb penalties)

BUT.. we now have to live with the fact that if either of these guys get caught 1 more time.. they are gone for a year.

If its no big deal that such integral parts of our offense could suddenly be suspended for 16 games, then I guess all this is funny.

haha, its not funny, but it is kind of. the only two players to get caught are members of our beloved redskins. something to be proud of

They got caught in a Lockout year. They are young and dumb. But I for one ain't worry about it. I trust they love their millions that they are earning right now.

I lost all sympathy for these too after reading Mort's report.

Lockout or not, these two clowns had already failed 2 tests each through the end of last season. A complete lack of responsibility and common sense from both of them.

Let's just hope they get in touch with Jared Allen (another offender facing the year boot). He seems to be keeping himself clean in Minny.

They got caught in a Lockout year. They are young and dumb. But I for one ain't worry about it. I trust they love their millions that they are earning right now.

this was actually the 3rd time they got caught.. which should have been the year suspension. but they got lucky that the settlement with many players involved reduced them to the 4 game suspension for a 2nd offense rather than a 3rd. The settlement is a result of the lockout issue.

Davis isn't making millions.. he's losing about 141k over the last 4 games and its a contract year for him. The guy just isn't smart. He's building a long list of regrets at the moment.

this was actually the 3rd time they got caught.. which should have been the year suspension. but they got lucky that the settlement with many players involved reduced them to the 4 game suspension for a 2nd offense rather than a 3rd. The settlement is a result of the lockout issue.

Davis isn't making millions.. he's losing about 141k over the last 4 games and its a contract year for him. The guy just isn't smart. He's building a long list of regrets at the moment.

So this is Trent's 3rd time popping a test. Dang. Well then I stand corrected.

Morons. Complete and utter morons.

To those defending them, do you mean to tell me that "young and dumb" is an excuse for MULTIPLE offenses?

These guys are "world class" in doing what they do, but they're too stupid to know that getting caught for your 3rd time is a year suspension and will cost potentially millions of dollars?

They obviously know better, they just don't give a **** and are gonna do what they want.

Kiss them both goodbye, because even if sleepy is resigned, you know it's just a matter of time until he gets banned for a year... same with TW.

Archived