Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Adam Schefter Twitter: Fred Davis, Trent Williams among 11 players facing discipline for testing positive

mzkp54

It is amazing to me how many people I'm hearing on the radio saying to just cut them/

It's bad to get a positive test.

But lets face it. If there ever WAS a "good" time to have to deal with a four game suspension it's now.

We're done. We've got nothing left to play for, and that includes pride.

Having them on the field isn't going to change that, and they are not players i'd say MUST get every rep they can get. ~Bang

They would have got this suspension regardless of our record. Let's say the Dallas games went the other way? What if we were actually leading our division? I don't buy the "it doesn't matter now" excuse.

If Allen and Shanahan really want to change the culture here then they have a couple big decisions on their hands right now. Will they say what they mean and mean what they say or will the party environment live on and we will remain the laughing stock of the league?

It is amazing to me how many people I'm hearing on the radio saying to just cut them/

But lets face it. If there ever WAS a "good" time to have to deal with a four game suspension it's now.

Having them on the field isn't going to change that, and they are not players i'd say MUST get every rep they can get.

It's a big fat red flag, and should bear a hell of a talking-to and intense scrutiny in the future.

But it's not the end of the world, not the end of their careers, not the end of our season, and not the end of the rebuild.

Other than the fact that they have to absolutely clean up and cannot ever again test positive, there really isn't all that much about it that is as bad as people seem to want to make it in our illustrious local media.

~Bang

The issue isnt' when they got the suspension. The issue is that this is their third positive test since they've been in the NFL. Another test and they're gone for a year. They have a problem. Do we want that problem on the team in the future?

Don't NFL players have access to better drugs? Why don't they get scripts for Oxy like adults.

They get tested for that too. If they're on Oxy they can't play on Sundays.

The issue isnt' when they got the suspension. The issue is that this is their third positive test since they've been in the NFL. Another test and they're gone for a year. They have a problem. Do we want that problem on the team in the future?

yes, we want that potential problem on this team. because the possibility also exists that they will not test positive again.

The answer is not to get rid of them and immediately create two more massive holes we had successfully filled with very good young players on the chance they may be suspended.

May as well write off this rebuild and hire the next coach.

Babysit them.

~Bang

yes, we want that potential problem on this team. because the possibility also exists that they will not test positive again.

The answer is not to get rid of them and immediately create two more massive holes we had successfully filled with very good young players on the chance they may be suspended.

May as well write off this rebuild and hire the next coach.

Babysit them.

~Bang

On the chance they are likely to get suspended again. Honestly, one time I get. But they have a problem that borders on addiction. If you can't NOT do something illegal, when you know you're going to be tested, you have a problem. Keep in mind, there were concerns about Davis coming out of college as well.

Babysit them? For an entire offseason?

Honestly, who in recent history has popped for the test and gotten a 4 game suspension and never had a problem again?

On the chance they are likely to get suspended again. Honestly, one time I get. But they have a problem that borders on addiction. If you can't NOT do something illegal, when you know you're going to be tested, you have a problem. Keep in mind, there were concerns about Davis coming out of college as well.

Babysit them? For an entire offseason?

Honestly, who in recent history has popped for the test and gotten a 4 game suspension and never had a problem again?

Who cares. Your answer is to once again go fishing for a franchise left tackle, and a starting tight end. (Cooley ain't it.)

How about Warren Sapp as an example of a guy with substance problems early on and turned it around?

Cris Carter?

Randy Moss?

Yes babysit them all offseason. Hire some guy for 25,000 bucks to follow around millions of dollars in investments and make sure it stays clear.

Babysit them as long as they're here if need be. Make them accountable, that is how you address these kinds of problems.

You don't just throw young talented homegrown (pardon the pun) starters in the trash can and start over.

~Bang

So now we have to be babysit players? Unbelievable and ridiculous. And I highly doubt it will work if they want to smoke weed.

Moss and Sapp didn't fail three drug tests.

Davis is a free agent. His upcoming contract should reflect is current drug policy status

Crazy idea, and I'll probably get flamed for this, but hear me out. The facts:

1) from the reports, Williams and Davis have each tested positive 3 times now for marijuana. If they get caught again, it will be a year's suspension.

2) based on fact #1, both players have to be extremely careful, obviously, going forward. One misstep at an off-season (or heck, mid-season) party and we lose them for a while.

3) medical marijuana is legal in D.C. to treat certain ailments and conditions, if authorized by a doctor. Not sure how the D.C. law works, but here in California, a prescription can be given for an ailment as mild as a sleeping disorder, or back pain.

4) NFL players have access to lots of special doctors

5) Would it be reasonable for Davis and Williams (assuming they have D.C. residences, and if they don't, to rent apartments there) to get prescriptions? Seems possible.

6) If Davis and Williams can get prescriptions, would their medical marijuana use therefore be an exception to the NFL ban, going forward? Is that how the NFL/NFLPA rule works?

Assuming all this is possible (which it may or may not be), it seems like it'd serve as an effective insurance policy against a future, long-term suspension. Of course, neither player should really be going anywhere near the bong after 3 positive tests, but I'm curious as to what the rule is.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 01:51 PM ----------

But they have a problem that borders on addiction. If you can't NOT do something illegal, when you know you're going to be tested, you have a problem. Keep in mind, there were concerns about Davis coming out of college as well.

I'm not sure if it's a problem that borders on "addiction," but it certainly borders on a lack of willpower.

3) medical marijuana is legal in D.C. to treat certain ailments and conditions, if authorized by a doctor. Not sure how the D.C. law works, but here in California, a prescription can be given for an ailment as mild as a sleeping disorder, or back pain.

4) NFL players have access to lots of special doctors

5) Would it be reasonable for Davis and Williams (assuming they have D.C. residences, and if they don't, to rent apartments there) to get prescriptions? Seems possible.

6) If Davis and Williams can get prescriptions, would their medical marijuana use therefore be an exception to the NFL ban, going forward? Is that how the NFL/NFLPA rule works?

Hey great idea! How about if all the players on the team get prescriptions and we can become the Washington Marleys. They always wanted to change our logo anyway. :silly: Below could be our new helmet logo.....

3684645207_19ed055a23.jpg

Having them on the field isn't going to change that, and they are not players i'd say MUST get every rep they can get.

It's a big fat red flag, and should bear a hell of a talking-to and intense scrutiny in the future.

But it's not the end of the world, not the end of their careers, not the end of our season, and not the end of the rebuild.

Other than the fact that they have to absolutely clean up and cannot ever again test positive, there really isn't all that much about it that is as bad as people seem to want to make it in our illustrious local media.

~Bang

It works out in our favor now, but when the two knuckleheads get busted in 2013, and are out for the year, what then?

So now we have to be babysit players? Unbelievable and ridiculous. And I highly doubt it will work if they want to smoke weed.

Moss and Sapp didn't fail three drug tests.

Davis is a free agent. His upcoming contract should reflect is current drug policy status

I agree, his contract negotiation should begin with this problem and the price should be according.

They're young. They made some mistakes.

I'd rather babysit them then look at the coming offseason with Starting Left Tackle and Starting TE on our "must have now" list.

Ridiculous? sure. But throwing them away and essentially putting us another 2 years behind (prodiving we can find replacements.) isn't any kind of answer. the fear is they'll be gone and we'll be left short... which is exactly what we'd be if we gave up and cut them.

They need one of those patented sit downs to explain to them what is in front of them, and how easy it would be to lose it.

we dont have a Ray Lewis type, other than fletcher,, someone who can make a difference and get through to these guys.

Help them grow up, don't toss them.

~Bang

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 07:23 PM ----------

It works out in our favor now, but when the two knuckleheads get busted in 2013, and are out for the year, what then?

Then we're in the same place we'd be now if we cut them, wouldn't we?

I'd rather take the chance they won't, and have them next year than dig holes beneath the footholds that we've managed to secure.

~Bang

They won't listen. Thats the problem with drugs, alcohol and other addictions. Until you hit rock bottom, you won't fix it yourself. Until you are able to look yourself in the mirror and say this stops, I need help, it will continue.

This is some pot, not heroin. They'll be in the NFl program now, and the redskins ought to put them on a program of their own.

Ken Harvey.. forgot about him. He's our director of player responsibility. He needs to get heavily involved.

~Bang

They won't listen. Thats the problem with drugs, alcohol and other addictions. Until you hit rock bottom, you won't fix it yourself. Until you are able to look yourself in the mirror and say this stops, I need help, it will continue.

They were just smoking weed right? I don't think weed is a drug that makes people physically dependent or require a rehab clinic. It's not like they were doing coke or hard drugs. IMO, getting into trouble should be enough to keep them from Cheech and Chonging.

Please, we are talking about pot. Also, guys like Brett Favre have had real addictions and got their act together. I see no reason not to give the both of them a chance to correct their actions. Remember these guys are in the early 20s with a lot of money, so they will make some boneheaded decisions. Pot is a very mild offense compare to other things guys in the league have been in trouble for.

They were just smoking weed right? I don't think weed is a drug that makes people physically dependent or require a rehab clinic. It's not like they were doing coke or hard drugs. IMO, getting into trouble should be enough to keep them from Cheech and Chonging.

Agreed. Not to rat-hole on how bad it is for you, but I personally put it on par w/ alcohol - imagine if alcohol was banned, but guys made mistakes and had the occasional beer. Weed isn't performance-enhancing, and it obviously hasn't impacted Williams' or Davis' on-field performance, since they're both on the cusp of becoming stars in this league.

Issue is around compliance. I honestly fear that with 3 strikes already against each player, they'll screw up in the future and we'll lose one or both of them for an entire season. What a catastrophe that would be. Someone needs to sit down and explain to them that if they want to light up, there will be plenty of time for that once they're retired. In the meantime, get your Friday night buzz on with some beers and leave it at that.

~Bang

I think you're greatly underestimating the fact that if either of them screws up again they're gone for at least a year.

For Davis it's not that big of a deal, we don't even have to bring him back next year; i would hope if we do it'll be an incentive laced contract with an out if there is a suspension.

For Williams it sets us up for a disaster. In 1 1/2 years he's tested positive 3 times now, and will be suspended for four games; one more offense and we lose him for a year. I hope he never has an issue off the field again, and I think he can learn from it. But i'm not going to ignore the fact that we're set up to have our 4th overall pick, and most important offensive lineman (when we have noone else), suspended for a year for doing something dumb.

This is some pot, not heroin. They'll be in the NFl program now, and the redskins ought to put them on a program of their own.

Ken Harvey.. forgot about him. He's our director of player responsibility. He needs to get heavily involved.

~Bang

Please, we are talking about pot. Also, guys like Brett Favre have had real addictions and got their act together. I see no reason not to give the both of them a chance to correct their actions. Remember these guys are in the early 20s with a lot of money, so they will make some boneheaded decisions. Pot is a very mild offense compare to other things guys in the league have been in trouble for.

We're not talking about the legal ramifications, nor whether or not pot should be legalized.

These are banned substances in the NFL. You cannot do them and play. Thy knew that. But despite that, they can't stop themselves from doing it. They have a problem. They both knew the rules. They both willingly broke them. This is a repeated pattern of behavior and it needs to be addressed.

Archived