Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Beck play-by-play log

SkinsTillIDie

FIRST DRIVE

1-10, Redskins 33: (Gaffney, Austin, Davis, Stallworth, Torain) -- play action pass complete to Fred Davis for 11 yards.

1-10, Redskins 44: (Gaffney, Moss, Davis, Paulsen, Torain) -- play action pass incomplete to Ryan Torain

2-10, Redskins 44: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Torain) -- Beck scramble for 12 yards (NOTE: Beck misses his open read: Davis on a 7 yard out)

Timeout burned.

1-10, Eagles 44: (Gaffney, Moss, Davis, Young, Torain): -- play action pass incomplete, Beck throws at the shoelaces of an open Gaffney at the 25 yard line.

PENALTY: FALSE START

2-15, Eagles 49: (Stallworth, Austin, Paul, Davis, Helu) -- pass incomplete, Beck throws at the shoelaces of an open Davis at the 43 yard line.

3-15, Eagles 49: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Helu) -- pass complete to Santana Moss for 23 yards.

® 1-10, Eagles 26: (Gaffney, Stallworth, Davis, Torain, Young) -- run for -1 yards by Ryan Torain

2-11, Eagles 27: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Torain) -- pass incomplete, dropped by Ryan Torain at the 24 yard line. (NOTE: Torain and Stallworth run the same route, Stallworth seems to blame Torain) (PENALTY ACCEPTED: ILLEGAL USE HANDS TO THE FACE BY JAMAAL BROWN)

2-21, Eagles 37: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Helu) -- pass complete to Dante Stallworth for 4 yards

3-17 , Eagles 33: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Helu) -- pass incomplete, dropped by Jabar Gaffney at the Eagles 2

PENALTY: DELAY OF GAME

PUNT

SECOND DRIVE:

1-10, Redskins 20: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Helu) -- pass incomplete, dropped by Fred Davis at the Redskins 26

2-10, Redskins 20: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Helu) -- pass complete to Jabar Gaffney for 10 yards

1-10, Redskins 30: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Helu) -- pass incomplete, dropped by Roy Helu at the Redskins 35

2-10, Redskins 30: (Stallworth, Moss, Paul, Davis, Torain) -- pass incomplete, dropped by Dante Stallworth at the Eagles 22 (PENALTY ON EAGLES: DEFENSIVE HOLDING)

1-10, Redskins 35: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Paulsen, Torain) -- pass complete to Santana Moss for 15 yards

1-10, Midfield: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Paulsen, Helu) -- pass complete to Roy Helu for 8 yards.

2-2, Eagles 42: (Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Davis, Torain) -- Beck fumbles for -7 yards

3-9, Eagles 49: (Gaffney, Stallworth, Moss, Davis, Helu) -- pass incomplete to Jabar Gaffney downfield

4-9, Eagles 49: (Stallworth, Moss, Austin, Davis, Helu) -- pass complete to Dante Stallworth for 15 yards

1-10, Eagles 34: (Stallworth, Austin, Paul, Davis, Helu) -- pass complete to Terrance Austin for 32 yards

1-2, Eagles 2: (Gaffney, Austin, Moss, Stallworth, Davis) -- QB draw for 2 yards, touchdown

good job with the thread... man we have some dedicated fans smh lol.. Beck looked a little shaky at first but he did a decent job considering the circumstances. I wanted Beck to be the starter from day 1 (proof is somewhere on the forums) but I think we all knew that he would eventually see the field. I wont judge John until after he has a full week of practice and plays a whole game.

FIRST DRIVE1-10, Eagles 44: (Gaffney, Moss, Davis, Young, Torain): -- play action pass incomplete, Beck throws at the shoelaces of an open Gaffney at the 25 yard line.

That's the only one I have a problem with. Though the pass was low, I wouldn't consider it at the shoelaces, it was very catchable.

How many practise time does Beck get? He looked rusty on some plays.

I would give him a two game chance to win us over. Playing against Carolina with limited time of practise (split with Rex) and then against Buffalo as a fulltime starter. Both D#s are good but not great...show us what you are made of.

Way too many drops. But I can see underthrown balls and drops if he hasn't been getting much work and reps with any of the starting WRs. He looked much better back there than Grossman did. I think I'll vomit if I ever have to see Grossman back in the pocket again for this team.

I would give him a two game chance to win us over. Playing against Carolina with limited time of practise (split with Rex) and then against Buffalo as a fulltime starter. Both D#s are good but not great...show us what you are made of.

zero since the season started. he's been running the practice squad so he never throws to these receivers or works on timing.

It's not like Beck jumped up and seized the job from Grossman. He played OK, nothing special, but clearly this is the way to go. But I gotta say putting your season in the hands of a QB who took a horrible sack, and fumbled, and then on the very next play had the ball somehow slip in his hand when he had a wide open receiver deep was more than a little concerning.

It's not like Beck jumped up and seized the job from Grossman. He played OK, nothing special, but clearly this is the way to go. But I gotta say putting your season in the hands of a QB who took a horrible sack, and fumbled, and then on the very next play had the ball somehow slip in his hand when he had a wide open receiver deep was more than a little concerning.

Nothing special.. just came in cold and despite 3-4 drops managed a TD in two drives. Grossman ended 4 drives with picks and didn't find the endzone all day long.

I was pleased to see a few things out of Beck.

His first few throws were low, short,, not good, but he settled down and that went away.

His mobility is 10000000% better than Rex. His escapability is even better.

He steps up in the pocket and surveys the field, he has his eyes downfield while he is avoiding the rush with SMALL movements.. steps up, slides, slight shifts to avoid the rush and open a passing lane. This can'/t be understated. He will remain where his OL can protect him. He will utilize their protection with those movements to make their jobs easier. Considering we had two backups in yesterday and for the next few weeks, that is a large boost to their ability to be efficient.

~Bang

Way too many drops. But I can see underthrown balls and drops if he hasn't been getting much work and reps with any of the starting WRs. He looked much better back there than Grossman did. I think I'll vomit if I ever have to see Grossman back in the pocket again for this team.

yeah, i made that note to myself as well. There were alot of dropped balls. IDK if it was because he didn't have alot of touch on the ball or what. Again i'm not sure. however, i think he did a solid job in there especially with his mobility.

In the wake of Grossman's implosion yesterday, you gotta believe Beck has earned his chance to start with those two drives. That said, just like all other 'Skins fans, I have no idea how Beck will measure up to Grossman.

One thing that is clear, Beck is 10x quicker than Grossman with every function involved in QB play. This alone should give every single player on offense a better opportunity to succeed...:2cents:

Agree, too bad the bye week is gone and the next two games are not at home but Carolina, the Redskins have a strong contigent there and it has never been a hostile place to play for them. Buffalo is in Toronto, might be as close to neutral as you get so as far as a QB change for two road games, doesn't get much better as far as where they are playing.

Absolutely correct.

If Beck is the starter next week, it's because of Rex's regression and losing the job. Not because Beck has gone out and won it.

Personally I feel that it should be an open competition this week. Best QB in practice gets to start Sunday. But if Shanahan wants to commit to Beck and give him 4 games without fear of a yank, I think that is fair too. While I have been a Rex supporter, mostly due to my contempt for McSuck and thus rooting for Rex, I do agree that Rex has lost the "right" of not looking over his shoulder.

Shanahan gave him 4 games and while he hasn't been as bad as his detractors want to say he has been, he has certainly been getting a little worse each week despite the level of competition not being particularly tough. So looking to change things up does make sense, especially with the Oline being in a mess.

I agreed with the decision to start Grossman to start the season due to his experience and preseason performance. Also it seemed like he had a bigger arm. But I don't think you can continue to start Rex with his stunning propensity to commit turnovers.

i counted 3 blatent drops and one by Helu that was iffy, but still a drop. sure he got cracked on the play, but if you rewatch it, the ball was dropped way before the hit.

Tandler posted a link to this page on twitter with a vid breakdown oif Beck. I thought he played pretty good under the circumstances, and his mobility obviously makes him a better option with a banged up oline. I think I woke up last night cursing at Grossman in my sleep.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/10/17/video-breakdown-john-beck-throw-by-throw-analysis/

He steps up in the pocket and surveys the field, he has his eyes downfield while he is avoiding the rush with SMALL movements.. steps up, slides, slight shifts to avoid the rush and open a passing lane. This can'/t be understated

great call Bang ... Beck was so noticeably more adept to pocket presence and feel. he stepped exaclty like you said, using small, quick and efficient movements. bought him butt loads of time on several plays.

What I liked was the zip on his throws. Compared to the way I've seen Rex float them, it was nice to see the intermediate passes come in on a line. I'm curious to see how he can throw the deep ball, but I love the way he throws the ball short and medium so far.

What will be interesting to see is what Beck does pre-snap. For all we know, Rex was flawlessly putting us in the right plays based on the defense he saw. We know he couldn't make all the plays he needed to, but only the coaches know if the QBs are equal in the strategic department. I'd like to think Beck has been here long enough to know what to do, but we'll see.

Beck's escapability is kind of surprising, but I have a feeling that it's a trick that will stop working rather quickly. Once teams figure out that they can't rush him like the statue that is Rex Grossman, I have a bad feeling that you will see him run himself into a lot of disasters.

Having said that, I guess you have to start him now.

I agree that it seemed Beck needed to settle in for a second before the offense started really moving again with the TD drive. I can respect Shanny for sticking with his guy (Rex) as long as he could, but 4 ints was too many. Might have been a different game if Beck came in earlier, but it is what it is.

*one note - as much as we hate rexy's turnover ways, one fumble and the way Beck runs with the ball was driving me crazy. He has to stop that sH*t immediately if he wants to be the starter for any period of time.

good job with the thread... man we have some dedicated fans smh lol.. Beck looked a little shaky at first but he did a decent job considering the circumstances. I wanted Beck to be the starter from day 1 (proof is somewhere on the forums) but I think we all knew that he would eventually see the field. I wont judge John until after he has a full week of practice and plays a whole game.

Probably not even then, should give him the same 5 game window that we gave Grossman.

Tandler posted a link to this page on twitter with a vid breakdown oif Beck. I thought he played pretty good under the circumstances, and his mobility obviously makes him a better option with a banged up oline. I think I woke up last night cursing at Grossman in my sleep.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/10/17/video-breakdown-john-beck-throw-by-throw-analysis/

Thanks for posting this as I missed the game yesterday. Some of his passes were underthrown or too low, but it's understandable considering he gets no reps with the first team during the week. Still I didn't see any balls that were completely off. He also needs to hold on to the ball. That ball to Austin was great though - I'd really like to see Hankerson, Paul and Austin in more. Also, WHAT was with all the dropped balls?

Although Beck should probably be starting next week, I think Shanahan is very stubborn and won't let this bad (actually horrible) by Rex deter him from changing QBs. Kudos to the OP with that drive chart. :applause: Although Beck started out slow and erratic, the guy really settled in despite the chaos around him.

Archived