Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Beck play-by-play log

SkinsTillIDie

sportjunkie we needed a stop from our defense and we should have gotten the ball back. it was good clock management they were playing for the defense to make one more stop and could not find McCoy not taking away from the defense holding the eagles to 20 instead of 59, we got to be happy. plus we threw 4 interceptions thats a lot of stops.

We need the mobility and speed...roll outs, play action, quick slants, screens etc. Gotta get it out of his hands quickly because our O line is screwed right now. The run game is all but gone unless we open it up with a mobility of Beck and then sneak in the run plays when the opposing D is off balance.

Beck fits our needs more at this point and he overall fits the offensive structure of Shanny's right now.

Beck did some things well yesterday and some not so well. Tough to judge someone who hasn't taken any reps in a while. We'll see how he does after a week of practice.

Beck brings energy to the offense. He moves so much better in the pocket, and can make plays with his legs. He also doesn't throw into double and triple coverage. That's a nice change. Watching Rex go back to pass is like sticking your hand into a covered jar you can't see into; there might be a cookie inside, and there might be a snake :)

At least Rexy made the decision easy, his 66.5 QB rating is the second worst in the NFL.

I am hereby bequeathing a new name for John Beck:

THE REX-ORCIST.

Just as an exorcist supposedly casts out demons, John Beck will cast out Rex Grossman and the stench of his ineptitude (sorry, Rexy) from this team's psyche. Or so I hope.

Good clock management? They ran the play clock down to 5 seconds every play and never hustled back to the line or anything while being tackled in the middle of the field. Down 2 TDs with 6 minutes left to begin the drive. I was shouting at the TV the entire drive because players were walking back to the huddle. It was pretty clear they didn't "believe" they could win the game. It wasn't time to go into panic mode, but at the same time a little hustle and getting the play off a little sooner could have made that 3 minute drive into a 2.5 minute drive, giving us a chance at getting the ball back. I'm sure it had a lot to do with Beck not being as familiar with the plays coming in, etc but it was brutal to watch.

Thanks for posting this as I missed the game yesterday. Some of his passes were underthrown or too low, but it's understandable considering he gets no reps with the first team during the week. Still I didn't see any balls that were completely off. He also needs to hold on to the ball. That ball to Austin was great though - I'd really like to see Hankerson, Paul and Austin in more. Also, WHAT was with all the dropped balls?

No problem on the post. I'm sure there will be much better breakdowns here and a few other places, but knew people would be chomping at the bit for all the info onthe game and Beck they could get this AM. I'm totally with you on Austin and Paul. I keep thinking there must be a good reason we haven't seen Hank yet.

what else was beck supposed to do?

he hasn't practiced with the first team since the preseason, hasn't played a regular season game in 4 years, and came out and lead a field goal drive (which was ruined by a delay of game) and a TD drive. he only had two possessions THE ENTIRE GAME. both of them should have resulted in points, and the guy who was in before him had turned the ball over 4 times and put up less points in 2 1/2 quarters with two extra possessions from turnovers by the defense, one at the opponents 20.

what are the people saying "psh, beck can't do anything better" watching?

i mean sweet moses, no one said we're going to the super bowl because beck is in. he's better than grossman. it is going to be pretty hard to be worse than grossman, but somehow i keep seeing people blaming the OC, DC, Defense, etc. in a game that we lost by 7 and the QB threw 4 INTS.

i just cannot understand why beck is getting dumped on.

Beck's escapability is kind of surprising' date=' but I have a feeling that it's a trick that will stop working rather quickly. Once teams figure out that they can't rush him like the statue that is Rex Grossman, I have a bad feeling that you will see him run himself into a lot of disasters.

Having said that, I guess you have to start him now.[/quote']

Teams will play him differently to Rex. With Rex you want to make him move because, well, he can't. With Beck you will want to keep him in the pocket and make him read and beat your coverage from there whie getting an inside rush to stop him stepping up. Beck will probably be dangerous to defend outside the pocket - getting him a running game so he can go play action and use that boot off the stretch will be vital IMO.

I missed the game yesterday as I was at a company function in purple land, but I'll admit my mistake in supporting Grossman. It's time to start Beck and see what he has. From the game log, it looks like Beck actually hit his receivers. It's time to make the switch. Better to make it at 3-2 and still in the hunt.

I have no doubt that if we got the ball back with a respectable amount of time left that we would have scored a touchdown. Beck only had two drives and when you factor in the circumstances and the lack of running game, it makes it even more impressive that we were still able to move the ball. Beck should be this starter next week and if he isn't, shame on Mike Shanahan because anybody can see that the offense performed better with Beck under center for those two drives.

Beck's fatal flaw is that he is physically inconsistent. That was evident in preseason and should not necessarily be attributed to rust. It should also be noted that his fumble was unforced -- he punched it out of his own hand.

The guy had two drives. One punt and the other would have been a punt if we weren't in 4 down territory. The guy can make plays, but he needs a certain amount of mulligan plays to overcome his inconsistency. It's basically like having McNabb back there, when we had to give him a lot of attempts in order to sustain drives, sacrificing rucking opportunities.

Honestly, I'm not going to be very shocked or upset if Rex is still the starter.

Good clock management? They ran the play clock down to 5 seconds every play and never hustled back to the line or anything while being tackled in the middle of the field. Down 2 TDs with 6 minutes left to begin the drive. I was shouting at the TV the entire drive because players were walking back to the huddle. It was pretty clear they didn't "believe" they could win the game. It wasn't time to go into panic mode, but at the same time a little hustle and getting the play off a little sooner could have made that 3 minute drive into a 2.5 minute drive, giving us a chance at getting the ball back. I'm sure it had a lot to do with Beck not being as familiar with the plays coming in, etc but it was brutal to watch.

yeah, its too bad, cuz they easily could have won this game. i was worried about the clock at 13 minutes, when they were taking the full time between each play. the announcers considered it at about 6 minutes. our offense never really seemed to consider it at all.

hopefully this is something that beck can work on as he gets more familiar with the offense.

overall though, beck did a decent job. some of his passes were off (and uncharacterstically so imo), but hopefully once he knocks the rust off he'll be better.

I really feel John Beck could have won that football game for us. You can tell he had a better feel for the WR's that he plays with during the week. He hit stallworth pleanty of times and we have our first Austin sighting of the year. I wouldnt be at all suprised to see Paul and maybe ever Hankerson (outside chance, i know) getting thier first catches with Beck as the starter.

At worst....he might be a 4 int type of guy...and well......

I died laughing when I saw that on replay. During the play I was like Did he just knocked the ball out of his own hand? Nobody was around him. Then they showed the replay and I couldn't stop laughing.

did you see the play where he stepped up into the pocket and launched a duck over the middle. i couldnt tell if his arm hit the center, but it looked pretty hillarious.

did you see the play where he stepped up into the pocket and launched a duck over the middle. i couldnt tell if his arm hit the center, but it looked pretty hillarious.

Oh yeah that was another one. It came out his hand funny. My cousin said it looks like he didn't have a grip on the ball when he threw it, That is the only explanation I can come up with because he had enough space, the motion was good, but it just came out funny. :whoknows:

Beck's fatal flaw is that he is physically inconsistent.

What does "physically inconsistent" mean? Does that mean he's nonathletic some plays, and athletic on others?

If you mean that he's an inconsistent passer, I'd agree. He throws ropes most times, and ducks on others. I think his ability to move from the pocket and scramble are consistent...as in he does it well. I think he has jittery feet in the pocket and that's why his throws can be off target at times.

Oh yeah that was another one. It came out his hand funny. My cousin said it looks like he didn't have a grip on the ball when he threw it, That is the only explanation I can come up with because he had enough space, the motion was good, but it just came out funny. :whoknows:

yeah the annoucers were saying his arm might have hit the center, but i didnt see it. it was just an awkward release.

yeah the annoucers were saying his arm might have hit the center, but i didnt see it. it was just an awkward release.

His elbow hit Chester's helmet. I watched the replay several times. The ball didn't slip. Unfortunately, they didn't show a good angle on the replay but by the way his arm swung outward, it was pretty obvious to me.

two awesome breakdown videos.

After watching these again, I've changed my stance on Beck. Aside from one or two throws where it looks like he was just a little off, I think Beck put the ball where it needed to be. Sometimes the receivers would just drop it or be a step away from making the play for the ball. I'm all for seeing what he can do with a weeks worth or reps with the number 1s. thanks for Posting Silky

*That one duck that he threw did bother me. I remember reading that he will throw a few of those every now and then. Was that one hit by a player?

Well we all knew that Rex was a turnover machine but if we could limit his mistakes then we will win some and lose some. Then we have the unknown in Beck with his limited action as a NFL starter, he came in with no pressure on his shoulders and managed a touchdown.A back up to any starting quarterback has nothing to fear because all of the fault and blame is going to be targeted toward the starter. So if he wins he's a hero he loses then the excuses start pouring in, limited practice, he's cold, and so on. I hope I'm wrong and Beck comes in with a week of practice and given more than one game to prove he is the better option at quarterback.

Archived