Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Beck play-by-play log

SkinsTillIDie

2-10, Redskins 30: (Stallworth, Moss, Paul, Davis, Torain) -- pass incomplete, dropped by Dante Stallworth at the Eagles 22 (PENALTY ON EAGLES: DEFENSIVE HOLDING)

not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread or not, but this was the missed play of the game. stallworth WIDE open, ball is WAY underthrown, 48 yards in the air. i will blame this on beck being rusty tho. (or maybe he has no arm.) stallworth had time to stop, wait for the ball, and DROPPED it. that ball is thrown in stride, 70 yard td. if its even caught, 48 yard completion, making becks stat look way better.

not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread or not, but this was the missed play of the game. stallworth WIDE open, ball is WAY underthrown, 48 yards in the air. i will blame this on beck being rusty tho. (or maybe he has no arm.) stallworth had time to stop, wait for the ball, and DROPPED it. that ball is thrown in stride, 70 yard td. if its even caught, 48 yard completion, making becks stat look way better.

Yeah Beck definitely should have led him, but Stallworth still had an opportunity to catch the ball and dropped it. It could just be a timing thing, hopefully everyone gets on the same page in practices really hard the next two days.

Honestly I think we could have won this game with Beck had our WR's caught the darn balls. I'm so tired of saying "could have." Its so disappointing. I jump off my couch only to return slow to it with a sad face.

I don't think John is our answer but he did play a lot smarter ball than Rex was. Even though some were underthrown, he threw it safely. He seemed to have opened a lot more possibilities with his run game. I really like the guy. Quote me on this when I rage on Beck next week.

You mean how Beck ran the clock down to 0:05 or less every snap despite needing 2 scores in the 4th quarter? I noticed a significant slow down in the tempo when Beck got it. I think it was because his helmet didn't have a radio. That's my guess. But I hope he gets our team up to the LOS a lot quicker this week.

You may be right. Like I said, I don't have any factual information, it just seems, over the preseason and when he got into the game this week, that the offense runs a little more up tempo, where Rex seems to run it very laid back. It's not a good or bad thing, just something I noticed.

With where Dante was in relation to the sideline on that play, I thought it was a very good throw that just had to be caught.

Beck's got an arm, that's for sure.

I thought Rex's was better, and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about that.

How many practise time does Beck get? He looked rusty on some plays.

I would give him a two game chance to win us over. Playing against Carolina with limited time of practise (split with Rex) and then against Buffalo as a fulltime starter. Both D#s are good but not great...show us what you are made of.

The backup gets about 25% of the practice split.

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 03:45 PM ----------

zero since the season started. he's been running the practice squad so he never throws to these receivers or works on timing.

Crompton would be the one who runs the scout team although we might have used Beck for the Eagles and the Cowboys. Your number 2 QB's primary job is to take over for the first team guy if he goes down and give practice reps to the guys who backup starters, not run the scout team.

Wasn't Beck scrambling out on that play as well? It's easy to say he should of led them, but aside from Rodgers, I haven't really seen any QB who is running for his life throw a leading deep pass for a td with no time to set their feet and step into a throw. But I have seen similar passes where the receiver has to come back for the ball constantly in the league.

Crompton would be the one who runs the scout team although we might have used Beck for the Eagles and the Cowboys. Your number 2 QB's primary job is to take over for the first team guy if he goes down and give practice reps to the guys who backup starters, not run the scout team.

Beck said today that he ran the scout team.

Beck said today that he ran the scout team.

That's interesting and I'll admit it was a bit of a guess since the 3 QB is usually who gets tabbed to run the scout team else he really hasn't much to do unless you are developing him for the future. Given the practice reps in a Bill Walsh influenced offense usually gives to the 2nd team QB is around 25% of the reps, I may be wrong there.

His mobility and ability to extend plays is an asset(Beck). He's short-ish, and lacks experience but I don't see him being worse than Grossman. I think it was that close, a toss up and Grossman got the nod due to experience, playing better in the pre-season, Beck was hurt, and Grossman's connecction with Kyle. I hope Beck has room to grow and has a higher ceiling. The Story on Grossman was well documented and just further proven in this stint.

Wasn't Beck scrambling out on that play as well? It's easy to say he should of led them, but aside from Rodgers, I haven't really seen any QB who is running for his life throw a leading deep pass for a td with no time to set their feet and step into a throw. But I have seen similar passes where the receiver has to come back for the ball constantly in the league.

cant remember if he was running or not. the bottom line is stallworth should have caught that ball. i know he had a defender jumping in front of him but thats no excuse.

ive been pro-grossman anti-beck since the start, but i was calling for grossmans head after his 2nd int. and i must admit that the offense looked alot better with beck behind center. he actually took his shots downfield which i didnt think he would do. im tired of grossman tho, he had his shot to prove himself and he blew it, so now beck gets his.

What was the purpose of posting this? What is the point?

Of posting the preseason play? If you read through the thread there is clearly a discussion about Beck's ability to lead his receivers, like on the play to Dante Stallworth during the Eagles game and I posted the video to show that again if he would have led AA that is probably a TD. The ball isn't in a ball spot, it just could have been in a better one like in the Eagles game (the ball to Stallworth).

I think Beck can make almost every throw he will be asked to make, I just question his ability to lead our receivers. Not that the ball was in a bad spot, but if people a bit more in front of AA that's a TD (much like the Stallworth throw in the Philly game)

Could you post the play from the eagles game?

I think Beck can make almost every throw he will be asked to make, I just question his ability to lead our receivers. Not that the ball was in a bad spot, but if people a bit more in front of AA that's a TD (much like the Stallworth throw in the Philly game)

Could you post the play from the eagles game?

It's at about 56 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIU-bUtEaLY&

Actually if that ball was caught the safety was coming in such an angle going for the ball and not the receiver he would have missed Stallworth completely so he could have walked the rest of the way for a TD.

The biggest problem I saw with Beck seemed to be his lack of chemistry with his receivers. That should be better over time, I like his ability to streach the play and be smart with the football. But seriously, can someone pull these guys aside and teach them how to protect the ball when they run?

Archived