Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Beck play-by-play log

SkinsTillIDie

Great OP.

Beck didn't look as good as he or Rex did preseason,,nor as good as Rex did the first two games. But he looked a lot better than Rex did yesterday and week before last, and that's what counts.

It should be Beck's job to lose now, IMO. I'm expecting that to happen. But would love to see a replay of 2007 this season instead.

I think if Shanny wants to keep up the team culture, of nobody getting a free pass for poor play, he's gotta start Beck this Sunday.

I was pleased to see a few things out of Beck.

His first few throws were low, short,, not good, but he settled down and that went away.

His mobility is 10000000% better than Rex. His escapability is even better.

He steps up in the pocket and surveys the field, he has his eyes downfield while he is avoiding the rush with SMALL movements.. steps up, slides, slight shifts to avoid the rush and open a passing lane. This can'/t be understated. He will remain where his OL can protect him. He will utilize their protection with those movements to make their jobs easier. Considering we had two backups in yesterday and for the next few weeks, that is a large boost to their ability to be efficient.

~Bang

Couldnt have said it better myself bang!!!

We know what we have in rex. Lets see where Beck can take us!

I died laughing when I saw that on replay. During the play I was like Did he just knocked the ball out of his own hand? Nobody was around him. Then they showed the replay and I couldn't stop laughing.

he wanted to prove that even if he caused his own turnover he could still recover it.

it's like if tom brady threw it straight into a corners chest, just to make sure he was still magical enough to have the guy drop it.

beckgruber makes no mistakes, only touchdowns.

he wanted to prove that even if he caused his own turnover he could still recover it.

it's like if tom brady threw it straight into a corners chest, just to make sure he was still magical enough to have the guy drop it.

beckgruber makes no mistakes, only touchdowns.

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good, I suppose. Is there any doubt in anyone's minds that, had that been Rex, its a lost fumble?

Nevermind the fact that John Beck actually moves in the pocket like something resembling an NFL QB. I don't know what that endless trot backwards, followed by an offbalance throw over the middle to the waiting safety that Rex does constantly is all about.

Funny, it's like he's so terrified of getting blindsided, he just keeps trotting backwards while staring down the passrush. Rarely does Rex Grossman ever step up past outside pressure, he just keeps backstepping and throws it away, since he can't get anything on the ball falling back....or says **** it and blindly throws over the middle anyways....Ugh.

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good, I suppose. Is there any doubt in anyone's minds that, had that been Rex, its a lost fumble?

Nevermind the fact that John Beck actually moves in the pocket like something resembling an NFL QB. I don't know what that endless trot backwards, followed by an offbalance throw over the middle to the waiting safety that Rex does constantly is all about.

Funny, it's like he's so terrified of getting blindsided, he just keeps trotting backwards while staring down the passrush. Rarely does Rex Grossman ever step up past outside pressure, he just keeps backstepping and throws it away, since he can't get anything on the ball falling back....or says **** it and blindly throws over the middle anyways....Ugh.

actually after watching the game last night, Cutler is the king of the backfoot throw. he looks insanely awkward even without pressure. but then again at least when he has a 4 int day we win.

I feel like Beck played great yesterday. I feel bad for Rex, he's done a good enough job overall... but it's too bad that he's still capable of these implosion games. At least when Vick or Brady throw 4 picks, they throw for crazy yards and lead scoring drives. Rex's upside probably doesn't warrant the downside that he showed yesterday.

Beck, albeit with some clear rust, was pretty impressive. It seems like the play calling we want to use is more geared for Beck and his athleticism. The offense just seems to be a little crisper. Plus Beck just moves faster. His drop back is faster and it felt like he was just going to make good things happen. If his receivers didn't drop a handful of balls, I think yesterday's game would have been even closer. Torain's drop on the first drive was key. That catch would have given us a first in their redzone. Ah well.

actually after watching the game last night, Cutler is the king of the backfoot throw. he looks insanely awkward even without pressure. but then again at least when he has a 4 int day we win.

Some of it may be shellshock, rather than bad mechanics. I can understand how QBs would want to keep the passrush in sight, especially when they've taken quite a few big hits that they didn't see coming.

The problem with this is, once they start staring down the passrush, the progressions are going to suffer, and INTs will pile up, which we've seen from both QBs mentioned.

The big difference between the two being, Cutler has the arm strength required to throw the deep out vs cover 3.

Some of it may be shellshock, rather than bad mechanics. I can understand how QBs would want to keep the passrush in sight, especially when they've taken quite a few big hits that they didn't see coming.

The problem with this is, once they start staring down the passrush, the progressions are going to suffer, and INTs will pile up, which we've seen from both QBs mentioned.

it's the patrick ramsey effect.

it's the patrick ramsey effect.

That must be why I always preferred Brunell. Ramsey scared me with the football almost as much as Rex does now....

Anyways, thanks for the responses. A lot of time this place feels more like an angry town hall mob than a reasonable discussion between adults..

That must be why I always preferred Brunell. Ramsey scared me with the football almost as much as Rex does now....

Anyways, thanks for the responses. A lot of time this place feels more like an angry town hall mob than a reasonable discussion between adults..

i got my angry town hall out in the gameday thread.

i'm more confused about why people act like taking rex out is the end of the world.

the level that rex is playing at is just not acceptable, and i think if you're going to tell your guys that the best man plays then it should be at every position.

i understand the qb gets some leash, but 11 turnovers in 5 games from a "veteran" who has 3 years experience in this system and who is not being sacked a whole lot (something that has been ignored) is not acceptable.

i got my angry town hall out in the gameday thread.

i'm more confused about why people act like taking rex out is the end of the world.

the level that rex is playing at is just not acceptable, and i think if you're going to tell your guys that the best man plays then it should be at every position.

i understand the qb gets some leash, but 11 turnovers in 5 games from a "veteran" who has 3 years experience in this system and who is not being sacked a whole lot (something that has been ignored) is not acceptable.

Hehe, don't ask me! I wanted him benched after the Dallas game.

Seems pretty apparent to me what the biggest problem is the last few games...but, as this site continues to prove, it takes all kinds.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because of the general consensus in the media that starting John Beck is laughable. Of course, most who have watched the Skins games this year will say he can't be worse than Rex. I would have to agree, very low bar set here.

Maybe its just b/c his Madden ratings are terrible.

Haven't read through the entire thread, but my opinion on Beck was that he was making way better reads than Grossman has all season. I don't particularly remember any throws that were into tight/double/triple coverage that we see with Rex on a constant basis. Even the early passes that were short throws into the ground were to the right read and open receivers. He will need to work on that but the mental aspect of not locking down on a receiver and forcing throws is a huge positive over the sex cannon.

Where's that Candle guy at when you need him?

God no...Brunell was pretty good until he got hit a few too many times, got hurt, and developed checkdownitis. He hit Moss downfield quite a bit at first.

Jason Campbell was just risk averse from day one, not to mention being slow with his reads and inaccurate downfield. Hmm, pretty far offtopic, I'll leave it at that.

To be fair,I think OL depth has played a major part in all of our QB failures in recent years. Most of these guys weren't too bad at the start of seasons, but once an OL or two went down....things turned ugly fast. Not a good sign for Rex or Beck for the next few weeks.

First 3rd down was converted by Beck, and he didn't throw picks, and he passed the ball to the WR's, when they were open.

Hopefully his accuracy improves after practicing but he can't be any worse than McNabb was last year and I doubt he'll have any 4 Int games

Gotta go with Beck. Let's grow with him. He's more the immediate future then Grossman. It's inevitable, might as well start now. I think he will get better and better, and by the end of the year he may be playing at a high level. He seems to want it badly. I like that about him. Did you see the way Rex was watching him. Like he knew, he could be in trouble with his first string status.

I waited until knowing who was starting to get into this thread, but I will say, the team looked different after Beck came in. It was kind of the same thing during the preseason, they just seem to be more up tempo (not saying that's always a good thing).

I know that's not a stat or really anything defensible but does anyone else notice the speed of the offense seems to pick up when he goes in?

I waited until knowing who was starting to get into this thread, but I will say, the team looked different after Beck came in. It was kind of the same thing during the preseason, they just seem to be more up tempo (not saying that's always a good thing).

I know that's not a stat or really anything defensible but does anyone else notice the speed of the offense seems to pick up when he goes in?

You mean how Beck ran the clock down to 0:05 or less every snap despite needing 2 scores in the 4th quarter? I noticed a significant slow down in the tempo when Beck got it. I think it was because his helmet didn't have a radio. That's my guess. But I hope he gets our team up to the LOS a lot quicker this week.

Yeah...Gaffney, Stallworth, and Torain all dropped passes that hit them right in the hands.

I think Torain ran the wrong route on his drop. You don't often see a back and a WR running crossing patterns in unison , lol.

I'd guess he's not quite as polished as THT in the passing game/passpro, likely from lack of reps this season.

Archived