Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

Last year.

Prior to last year it didn't look like landry knew how to play football at all.

I semi agree with the OP.

It's like Michael Westbrook all over again.

~Bang

2009 was really the only year in which he struggled, and our entire team was awful. Safeties usually end up looking the worst when everyone else fails at their job because they have to do clean-up. Granted, he didn't clean up too well since he kept flying in way too fast and missing too many tackles, but that was also because we had him lined up so far off the LOS he had to run 20 yards before he could get to the ball carrier.

It's like in 2006 when everyone was on Sean's case. The guy obviously was an incredible talent and was the most productive guy on our defense, but he looked awful in 2006 because of how poorly everyone else was playing.

I could never understand Landry's critics, to be honest. For the most part, he's been solid for us as a Skin. His rookie year he played at SS and was making plays all the time. Then Sean died and we moved him at FS, where he excelled in both the end of 2007 and 2008. He was our single high safety and he covered the entire field, almost completely taking the deep ball out of opposing offense's arsenals (the fact that offense's used to drive down the field on us in crunch time and eat up all the clock was because everyone else didn't do their jobs as well as Landry). He allowed us to have everyone else up close to the LOS.

The entire team was pathetic in 2009, yet all of us single out that year as the year to judge Landry on. I challenge anyone to say he had a poor season before that. People just seem to totally forget that he was solely responsible for taking away the deep ball and he did that very well 2007-2008. Teams had to look at him as two safeties back there (remember Matt Haselbeck saying after the playoff game in 2007 that his coaches told him that when Landry is lined up by himself in the backfield, consider it as two safeties there because he can cover both sides of the field?)

To those who pose a legit concern with LL. Who would you rather have? FA or next draft.

I was about to ask the same ?

- He's still young and extremely talented. As long as he doesn't turn out like Bob Sanders with this injury bug, then he's someone to be feared on our defense.

The guy hasn't called out not one of his teammates or coaches... The medical staff has in recent years received more direct shots than anyone in the orginization. As a result his frustration was directed at them. He wants to play... He wants to prove he can be an enforcer for this team in this system. If you question this, his desire or his motivation to do so then you are sadly mistaken.
Wow, after reading your quote I get the feeling that you are either Laron Landry, his agent or of direct relation to him. I'm not accusing you of being a fan of a player above being a fan of the team. But, the way that you profess Landry's wants, desire and motivation does kind of make you come across as somewhat extreme. No pun intended.:)

Last season I actually thought that Landry was on his way to the Probowl and was playing just as good as any safety in the league up until the time of his injury. I also believe that Landry has the physical tools to become the best safety in the game. But, at the same time I don't understand things like this...http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/laron-landrys-tweets-hint-at-setback-teams-involvement/2011/09/06/gIQASO8W7J_blog.html?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

I saw the first tweet in another thread. But, I didn't see that second tweet that they quote in this article.

I guess that I'm just confused as to what Landry is blaming the "genius circus staff" for exactly.

Guy was going to be the defensive mvp of the league last year before he got hurt. Not just of the redskins, of the league. I remember threads like this for another safety we had before it all clicked and he started to dominate also. I think he wore 21.

Great call, sometimes they just need to take a step back and see the whole picture. I'm hoping Atogwe is that influence. I mean he had some huge shoes to fill since 2left. None of the other safeties we've had were sure enough to just let him focus at

SS. As far as coverage I don't hear anyone complaining about Polamalu in

coverage. Why, because he really only plays around the LOS. As far as him being a

workout warrior so what!! I'd rather see the effects of his gym time rather than

hearing about his club time at 2a.m.

Last season I actually thought that Landry was on his way to the Probowl and was playing just as good as any safety in the league up until the time of his injury. I also believe that Landry has the physical tools to become the best safety in the game. But, at the same time I don't understand things like this...http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/laron-landrys-tweets-hint-at-setback-teams-involvement/2011/09/06/gIQASO8W7J_blog.html?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

I saw the first tweet in another thread. But, I didn't see that second tweet that they quote in this article.

I guess that I'm just confused as to what Landry is blaming the "genius circus staff" for exactly.

I think Landry was leading the league in tackles early last season. He was playing well.

Maybe I'm reading Landry's tweet wrong, but I don't think it's a bad thing when a player expresses frustration over not being allowed on the field due to injury.

This is a contract year for him, so I expect big things out of him.....I get the feeling after his big payday he will lose quite a bit of that drive that has shown up over the past year.

I agree with this. I think that risk is there with Landry.

This new contract is in the forefront on his mind, no doubt. I think that's why he's so hacked off now. He's stayed clear of the pre-season to avoid injury, yet has still suffered a set-back that stops him getting out on the field to chase that pay-day.

I think EVERYBODY gets a pass from the Vinnie/Jim Zorn years.

I mean, seriously.

Fix'd , but spot on/

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 03:23 PM ----------

I think he's in trouble, I mean who has ever bought a monkey and had things turn out great??? Elvis?? Michael Jackson??? Not a good sign. ;)

hahahaaa. good point.

Wow, after reading your quote I get the feeling that you are either Laron Landry, his agent or of direct relation to him. I'm not accusing you of being a fan of a player above being a fan of the team. But, the way that you profess Landry's wants, desire and motivation does kind of make you come across as somewhat extreme. No pun intended.:)

:ols: I'll never tell....

HTTR!

I want to put this Bob Sanders comparison to bed. You cannot compare Landry's injury history w/ Bob Sanders.

http://www.nfl.com/player/bobsanders/2506123/profile

Bob Sanders

2004 - GP=6 GS=4

2005 - GP=14 GS=14

2006 - GP=4 GS=4

2007 - GP=15 GS=15 * The DPOY*

2008 - GP=6 GS=6

2009 - GP=2 GS=2

2010 - GP=1 GS=1

http://www.nfl.com/player/laronlandry/2495658/profile

LaRon Landry

2007 - GP=16 GS=16

2008 - GP=16 GS=16

2009 - GP=15 GS=15

2010 - GP=9 GS=9

I mean... come on. He's hurt. It's unfortunate but as physical of a player as he is those are pretty damn good numbers. Let's not call him brittle just yet

Referencing the OP, I'd rather have what LaRon is now than try and find someone to replace him or do a saftey by committee thing. He isn't an elite safety but there are 20 teams ready to sign him if we let him go.

I think if you are listed among those players whom the DPOY award from last year were voted from - you are inherently an elite safety.

I'm not saying that it leads to feelings like the OP's, but I think that Landry's eccentricity throws people off in some ways. He's got a weird facial piercing, a monkey, wears his LSU pads under his Skins uniform, seems to spend more time in the gym than around human company, and generally comes off like a meat-head sometimes...he's really a conundrum to anyone who doesn't know him, and I'd even hazard a guess that he's perceived comparably by many that DO know him. But that's just me. He's kinda like McIntosh in that he's...well, a weird dude.

But what I DO know is that when he's healthy and playing in this scheme, he's probably the best player on our team. Not just our defense, but our team. Orakpo and Fletcher are both studs, and Cooley has been great. Portis was a boss when he was here, and Moss has been our only real receiving threat outside of Cooley for years. Kerrigan could be a beast, as could other members of our defense...and Williams is an athletic freak with a mean-streak. But Landry is the only player on the team that can be the best in the league at his position RIGHT NOW when he's healthy. He's already shown the ability.

I'm not going to look down on that, especially since I don't think he's a cancer at all.

I think if you are listed among those players whom the DPOY award from last year were voted from - you are inherently an elite safety.

When he starts getting mentioned in the same sentence as Polamalu or Reed then he will be elite. When he starts impacting games like those two then he will be elite. He is a good safety but he could be a bit better.

I read the title and knew it was a KG thread :ols:

But as a whole, I agree. If you're consistently injured, you're no good to the team. And prior to him being consistently injured, he wasn't playing well. I think part of that had to do with him being moved to free safety, as his skillset fits the strong safety mold much better. Part of that probably had to do with the defensive scheme he was playing in. But, he is over aggressive, which is good sometimes and bad sometimes, it depends on the system. He may fit Haslett's need for a safety to a tee, or he may not. The problem now is the amount of injuries that are piling up.

Landry is a dynamic player. Those players get beat. Troy Polamalu is pretty universally regarded as the best SS in the game and he gets beat and gives up plays every game because he sells out to make spectacular plays. It's what great, dynamic players do and the flip side to that is the failures are pretty spectacular as well.

Landry is a gem and he's super important to our defensive success moving forward. I hope he gets healthy soon.

People were all over Malcolm Kelly for not being able to get on the field, but somehow Landry is a different story. Sure, he's proven to be a stud playmaker at times, but he's gotta get on the field.
I think it's stupid for fans to blame players for getting injured period. But to say that Landry and Kelly are in the same boat isn't accurate. Landry has been a starter since day one and Kelly barely saw the field.

Regarding the training staff, Landry isn't the type to shoot his mouth off. If he's voicing frustration then something is probably wrong.

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 04:07 PM ----------

When he starts getting mentioned in the same sentence as Polamalu or Reed then he will be elite. When he starts impacting games like those two then he will be elite. He is a good safety but he could be a bit better.

He did have that kind of impact last season. How soon we forget I suppose.

No doubt they are a class above him, but he was in serious contention for DPOY - that says something. Elite is one of those amorphous designations like saying a player is "clutch", I get what you are saying though.

I have never liked LL as a player. He does make some good plays and was playing at a very high level last year, however he only played half the games. All pros that start make some great plays, but most don't make so many mistakes and boneheaded plays. LL should be playing at his peak now, but still seems to play like a 2nd year player. He just never seems real football smart.

I don't think he will be too hard to replace in the coming years. If he doesn't stay healthy this year, look for him to not be re-signed.

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 01:32 PM ----------

People are saying that he was in the DPOY running - SO WHAT. Jason Campbell was in the OPOY/MVP running a few years back. LL didn't make a single tackle in Nov or Dec and that means he was worthless to our team at that time.

I live in San Diego and watch LT during his last years here. San Diego had some great teams, but LT was hurt 3 straight years come Dec and January. He was no longer great.

LL has never been great. Very good at best, but only for half a season. LL - Stay healthy or you will be gone.

Any player in the NFL needs what coach Gibbs used to say, accountability and availability. LL has the former in his early years here and the latter at the beginning of last season. This year is pivotal for him. He must step up and show he has both in order to secure the contract he wants. If either ends up missing he could be somewhere else next year. I'm rooting for him to come out and dominate.

I'm not saying that it leads to feelings like the OP's, but I think that Landry's eccentricity throws people off in some ways. He's got a weird facial piercing, a monkey, wears his LSU pads under his Skins uniform, seems to spend more time in the gym than around human company, and generally comes off like a meat-head sometimes...he's really a conundrum to anyone who doesn't know him, and I'd even hazard a guess that he's perceived comparably by many that DO know him. But that's just me. He's kinda like McIntosh in that he's...well, a weird dude.

But what I DO know is that when he's healthy and playing in this scheme, he's probably the best player on our team. Not just our defense, but our team. Orakpo and Fletcher are both studs, and Cooley has been great. Portis was a boss when he was here, and Moss has been our only real receiving threat outside of Cooley for years. Kerrigan could be a beast, as could other members of our defense...and Williams is an athletic freak with a mean-streak. But Landry is the only player on the team that can be the best in the league at his position RIGHT NOW when he's healthy. He's already shown the ability.

I'm not going to look down on that, especially since I don't think he's a cancer at all.

i agree with this..

ill take it a step further and say that Landry has the ability to be the best defensive player in the league.. we saw that in the first half of last year.

KG you have to be the biggest negative Nancy on this board. Have you ever said anything positive about the Redskins?

You mean like these?

The one guy I really want to make the roster because he will not survive waivers or PS (I know I know) is Markus White.

This kid has become a favorite of mind and he has made the transition from DE to LB a lot quicker than most anticipated. If he doesn't make the 53 man roster I will be red in the face.

Another guy that stoodout is Rob Jackson. I would go as far as saying bye bye Lorenzo Alexander because IMO White and Jackson have way more upside.

QUOTE=KingGibbs;8497770]I am so on the Banks bandwagon now. Banks threat alone will give the 'skins good starting field position on punts whether they kick to him or not.

Another great read murf. You and Keim are my favs.

The thing I really like about Kerrigan is that he is a student of the game. If it's not film, it's tapping into the minds of the vets and soaking in the info. Hope he turns into the player we all hope.

BTW murf. Send AC our best wishes. Some of us appreciated his drive and desire. He was the epitome of the word team player.

The less you hear of a corners name the better. I've liked his play also, but it could be a numbers game and PS for Thompson.

Cue the he won't survive the PS crowd.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to roster spot. If Banks did get cut someone would swoop him up immediately IMO. Banks not only has speed., but the one thing he has that is rarely mentioned is his vision. He has a knack to find that hole almost every time he fields a KO/punt. He is extremely valuable.I hope he has cleansed himself of the that dumb ass Dougie though.:)

Let me know if you want me to keep going. I'm as neutral as they come. Maybe you are just a flat out Nancy?

I'm not a fan either. A ton of talent and we saw last year what he could do. But still, have to deal with missed tackles and blown coverages when he goes for the big hit or the big play. And his injury history might not be that bad yet, but I would bet money durability is going to become a big part of his future.

I just don't think he'll be worth what he commands on a contract. There was an opportunity to sell high on him this offseason and I think we missed it.

Tell me 1 missed tackle from last year. Tell me 1 blown coverage. Jackson wasn't entirely his fault. But seriously, tell me a missed tackle he had last year? He saved 2 HUGE gains last year against the Eagles in the first game by giving Djax Alligator arms. I'm ashamed that this thread has even been started, let alone gone 12 pages.

This is seriously pathetic.

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 07:09 PM ----------

2009 was really the only year in which he struggled, and our entire team was awful. Safeties usually end up looking the worst when everyone else fails at their job because they have to do clean-up. Granted, he didn't clean up too well since he kept flying in way too fast and missing too many tackles, but that was also because we had him lined up so far off the LOS he had to run 20 yards before he could get to the ball carrier.

It's like in 2006 when everyone was on Sean's case. The guy obviously was an incredible talent and was the most productive guy on our defense, but he looked awful in 2006 because of how poorly everyone else was playing.

I could never understand Landry's critics, to be honest. For the most part, he's been solid for us as a Skin. His rookie year he played at SS and was making plays all the time. Then Sean died and we moved him at FS, where he excelled in both the end of 2007 and 2008. He was our single high safety and he covered the entire field, almost completely taking the deep ball out of opposing offense's arsenals (the fact that offense's used to drive down the field on us in crunch time and eat up all the clock was because everyone else didn't do their jobs as well as Landry). He allowed us to have everyone else up close to the LOS.

The entire team was pathetic in 2009, yet all of us single out that year as the year to judge Landry on. I challenge anyone to say he had a poor season before that. People just seem to totally forget that he was solely responsible for taking away the deep ball and he did that very well 2007-2008. Teams had to look at him as two safeties back there (remember Matt Haselbeck saying after the playoff game in 2007 that his coaches told him that when Landry is lined up by himself in the backfield, consider it as two safeties there because he can cover both sides of the field?)

Tied for by far the best post in the thread!

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 07:09 PM ----------

Also tied for best post in thread!

Archived