Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but as most of you know, I don't give a damn.;)

I am tired of Landry. This guy has been so overrated by 'skins fans. Yeah, the "potential" is there for him to be a top safety, but the guy for one reason or the other can't and might not ever meet that "potential."

Now I know he's made some spectacular plays here and there, but he's also a bonehead whether it be going for the highlight tackle and whiffing, getting beat in coverage, costly penalties, over-pursuing plays because of going for the aforementioned highlight tackle and finally injuries.

Former great Redskins defensive coordinaot Richie Petitbon recently said in an interview that he doesn't care how good a player may be, but if he's injured a lot he doen't want them on his defense. (Paraphrasing of course)

Again, I know he's made the occasional play that makes you say "Wow!" but he is not consistent enough IMO to warrant the praise he gets from 'skins fans and he certainly isn't on the field to warrant that praise either.

Laron Landry-More hype (and muscles) than substance.

Sad that he is hurt and not able to play, but there is no need in kicking the guy while he is down. He and Orakpo are the best players on the Redskins defense.

Last year.

Prior to last year it didn't look like landry knew how to play football at all.

I semi agree with the OP.

It's like Michael Westbrook all over again.

~Bang

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but as most of you know, I don't give a damn.;)

I am tired of Landry. This guy has been so overrated by 'skins fans. Yeah, the "potential" is there for him to be a top safety, but the guy for one reason or the other can't and might not ever meet that "potential."

Now I know he's made some spectacular plays here and there, but he's also a bonehead whether it be going for the highlight tackle and whiffing, getting beat in coverage, costly penalties, over-pursuing plays because of going for the aforementioned highlight tackle and finally injuries.

Former great Redskins defensive coordinaot Richie Petitbon recently said in an interview that he doesn't care how good a player may be, but if he's injured a lot he doen't want them on his defense. (Paraphrasing of course)

Again, I know he's made the occasional play that makes you say "Wow!" but he is not consistent enough IMO to warrant the praise he gets from 'skins fans and he certainly isn't on the field to warrant that praise either.

Laron Landry-More hype (and muscles) than substance.

Fine.

Go ahead and try to replace him.

I suspect it won't be so easy.

Sad that he is hurt and not able to play, but there is no need in kicking the guy while he is down. He and Orakpo are the best players on the Redskins defense.

This isn't just about his injury. This is something I've felt for some time now. He's over-rated in my eyes and please don't put him in the same category as 'Rak or Fletcher for that matter.

Last year.

Prior to last year it didn't look like landry knew how to play football at all.

I semi agree with the OP.

It's like Michael Westbrook all over again.

~Bang

London Fletcher is the best player on the defense. Landry does need to play under control more as well.
Fletch and Orakpo are the best.

Get well soon, Dirty 30!

My bad, totally overlooked Fletcher, wow. Still Landry last year was a great player and I was looking forward to him playing next to another decent safety this year in Atogwe. I would hate to see him rush back from this injury only to get hurt worse and miss more time this year.

prior to getting hurt last year, he looked like the best player on defense. but yes i do agree that if a player is injured, he is no use to the team. he kinda reminds me of bob sanders.. good player, but always hurt. one thing he needs to do is stop bulking up. thats probably one of the reasons he keeps getting injured, he has TOO MUCH muscle. dude looks like a linebacker on steroids. theres no need for a safety to be that buff.

Guy was going to be the defensive mvp of the league last year before he got hurt. Not just of the redskins, of the league. I remember threads like this for another safety we had before it all clicked and he started to dominate also. I think he wore 21.

This isn't just about his injury. This is something I've felt for some time now. He's over-rated in my eyes and please don't put him in the same category as 'Rak or Fletcher for that matter.

If you said that last year at this time I would agree, however last year he played to his potential.

I think this is the case b/c hes been playing out of position. He's a SS not a FS where we have had him. He was having a great season last year and im sure when he gets on the field he will continue to help our D.

I'm not sure why this myth is so well believed. Orakpo definitely fits the bill, but why would you put Landry on this list if you're not being a complete homer? The OP is right; Laron Landry is over-hyped by Redskins fans. For every great play he has made, he has made two boneheaded ones. He is directly responsible for the Eagles going for the jugular out of the gate during that Monday night massacre last season. He started talking trash and messing with the players before the game, and then proved that he cannot back up his mouth on the very first defensive play. Landry has much to prove before he should be classified as one of our best defensive players. London Fletcher definitely deserves to be spots ahead of him on that list. And, I would put Hall before him as well. :2cents:

Guy was going to be the defensive mvp of the league last year before he got hurt. Not just of the redskins, of the league. I remember threads like this for another safety we had before it all clicked and he started to dominate also. I think he wore 21.

Was going to say the same thing. It took a few season for it to click for ST. I feel like LL is almost there.

I read the title and knew it was a KG thread :ols:

But as a whole, I agree. If you're consistently injured, you're no good to the team. And prior to him being consistently injured, he wasn't playing well. I think part of that had to do with him being moved to free safety, as his skillset fits the strong safety mold much better. Part of that probably had to do with the defensive scheme he was playing in. But, he is over aggressive, which is good sometimes and bad sometimes, it depends on the system. He may fit Haslett's need for a safety to a tee, or he may not. The problem now is the amount of injuries that are piling up.

People were all over Malcolm Kelly for not being able to get on the field, but somehow Landry is a different story. Sure, he's proven to be a stud playmaker at times, but he's gotta get on the field.

The only hang up I have on completely throwing Landry (or Kelly) under the bus is the constant nagging of our training staff. I wonder how much (or how little) they have to do with these injuries taking longer to heal than they should.

Is he the best safety in the league? No.

Is his game, inconsistent as it may be, good for the Redskins? Yes.

It's much like D-Hall's game. The good is there mostly because of the risks they take.

And injuries happen. I'm more worried about Torain's injury-prone game than Landry's.

Quit it with this "always injured" nonsense. He's missed a grand total of 8 games in his career. Anyone want to guess when those 8 games were? He played, at a high level, with a broken wrist. When he was at FS, yes, he took bad angles. When he was at SS though, he was playing on the same level as Polamalu. He's that good.

And the Eagles game? Let's look at the whole play and not just Landry's assignment. Hall missed his assignment too and let Jackson get a free run off line.

Bottom line is, Landry's a baller.

Criticism of Landry was fair prior to last season. reports of him booking vacations before the season was over and not putting in the proper work showed on the field. Despite enormous physical abilities, his play on the field was sloppy and undisciplined. It was clear he didn't want to put in the work to be a great player. Of course, that doesn't stop thousands of clueless redskin fans worshipping him because he's a first round pick and has big muscles. That's good enough for a large portion of our fanbase.

Last year that changed. He had an outstanding first half of the season last year and it was clear he was putting in the work. Frustrating that he got injured, and even more frustrating that we're here almost a year later and he's still freakin' injured. I hope he gets on the field soon.

This is a contract year for him, so I expect big things out of him. Honestly though, after this season a part of me hopes he signs somewhere else. I get the feeling after his big payday he will lose quite a bit of that drive that has shown up over the past year.

I don't remember those threads.

I do remember plenty of threads wondering if Landry needed glasses because he whiffed so much.. if he needed a rulebook because he was so ou of control he'd tack 15 yard on the end of a lot of plays..

I used to call him "The Flash".. not because he was so fast. but it was usually all you saw of him when he went flying by a ballcarrier. That flash of white missing totally..

He got turned around, bent over, run over, and last year he finally showed up. And now he's out.

~Bang

Criticism of Landry was fair prior to last season. reports of him booking vacations before the season was over and not putting in the proper work showed on the field. Despite enormous physical abilities, his play on the field was sloppy and undisciplined. It was clear he didn't want to put in the work to be a great player. Of course, that doesn't stop thousands of clueless redskin fans worshipping him because he's a first round pick and has big muscles. That's good enough for a large portion of our fanbase.

Last year that changed. He had an outstanding first half of the season last year and it was clear he was putting in the work. Frustrating that he got injured, and even more frustrating that we're here almost a year later and he's still freakin' injured. I hope he gets on the field soon.

This is a contract year for him, so I expect big things out of him. Honestly though, after this season a part of me hopes he signs somewhere else. I get the feeling after his big payday he will lose quite a bit of that drive that has shown up over the past year.

Um, don't forget he has his pet monkey...:D

And, is there something you're not telling us there, Zoon? staring at the guys big muscles? do we hear a closet door squeaking? lol...JUST KIDDING

It's possible that light switch went off and he suddenly got it last year or that the move to SS really made that big a difference. His play for the first half of last year was outstanding. His play prior to that was inconsistant and sometimes downright awful. I'm sure he will not keep any tape of his 09 season to show his grandkids one day.

I'm not sure why this myth is so well believed. Orakpo definitely fits the bill, but why would you put Landry on this list if you're not being a complete homer? The OP is right; Laron Landry is over-hyped by Redskins fans. For every great play he has made, he has made two boneheaded ones. He is directly responsible for the Eagles going for the jugular out of the gate during that Monday night massacre last season. He started talking trash and messing with the players before the game, and then proved that he cannot back up his mouth on the very first defensive play. Landry has much to prove before he should be classified as one of our best defensive players. London Fletcher definitely deserves to be spots ahead of him on that list. And, I would put Hall before him as well. :2cents:

If you rate Hall above Landry and call me a homer, I would say you are a hater. Hall has more boneheaded plays to date. But they both fall under the same predictament, playing in a defense where the complimentary DL was missing. Both suffered from a lack of line and had to compensate for it.

If this would of been pre-Shanahan, I'd of agreed and be shouting louder than you KG man. (Aside from missing playing time which we'll get to.).

His first three years in the league, he was a complete waste of natural God given ability. Doing his own thing in pre-season; a very questionable practice guy and studier, per numerous reports from both players and coaches coming out of Redskins Park; and a complete bonehead on the field, often going for the big highlight reel hit and totally messing it up instead of doing his job and getting the fundamental's right. His tackling overall was shockingly bad for a player as blessed as LaRon, often not only failing to bring down his man, but taking shocking angles and blowing the coverage completely. His signature hit was becoming the gutless late hit out of bounds, incurring dumbass penalty's that doubly hit his teammates. It didn't matter which safety position he played, when the personal dedication wasn't there, he was on a loser to begin with. Just another starting safety in this league rated highly only by Redskin fans.

But last year, a light finally went on with LaRon. He started putting football first, totally dedicating himself to his craft. By all accounts, he's become a a real dedicated film studier, and works as hard as anyone in the weight room and on the practice field. And it was really beginning to show on the field of play. If there was a more dominating, fearsome SS in the NFL through the first 9 games last year I'd like to hear of him. 2 or 3 times he was in double figures for tackling through that spell. He was a PB certainty the level he was playing at.

And then sadly, 9 games in, the achilles hit and the HC wisely put him on IR when it became apparent there was no hope of the play-offs and complete rest was the best option. And now he has the hammi, which IMHO we'd be foolish to rush him back on. He's not been able to play a single second of pre-season, and to rush him back from a hamstring strain which are niggly injuries at the best of times on top of no game fitness would potentially be to our detriment in terms of loosing him for longer. Easing him back is the correct approach. And for a man that's missed a mere 8 games out of a possible 64 his pro career, starting the other 56, this recent myth on here that Landry's injury prone and misses game time needs to be put to bed. He patently both isn't and hasn't until the current ones.

Your a year too late man IMHO with your concerns on LaRon. Unless he regresses this year, which I don't see being allowed under this coaching staff, we finally have the top echelon SS we drafted so high back in 2007.

Hail.

Archived