Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

He had 13 tackles that game, 10 solo, aside from the INT that lead to the game winning FG.

He more or less single handedly won that game against the eventual SB champs last year the way he made crucial plays against a high powered O.

Hail.

He also knocked out one of their best players in the first series. I repented last year. LaRon won my heart.

Some of the posts in this thread from some usually very reasoned posters seriously have to be seen to be believed.

Even as we stand on the verge of a very promising season watching the young guys develop and grow, the most positive we've felt about this team in years by general consensus; STILL we find time to ***** and moan about one of the very few established, top level talents we actually do have.

Gota' love Redskins fans.

Hail.

That's what happens when a player like Landry who has shown flashes of promise but hasn't been able to string together a long period of consistent play starts to mouth off to the media. After years of this team tolerating the inmates running the asylum, I'm in favor of taking care of this behavior quickly before it becomes a distraction.

No one is bigger than the team.

That's what happens when a player like Landry who has shown flashes of promise but hasn't been able to string together a long period of consistent play starts to mouth off to the media. After years of this team tolerating the inmates running the asylum, I'm in favor of taking care of this behavior quickly before it becomes a distraction.

No one is bigger than the team.

Or when hes put back in his position by a real coaching staff. He had good rookie season as well.

Redskin fans (gotta love us)

Hail!

Alof of the time before last he's been playing out of position at FS. Blache was trying to use him as we used sean taylor and that is not his strong suit. He didnt complain he just did his job. Last year when used more like Polamalu he excelled and shown how good he can be when used correctly.

i would have agreed until last year. last year before he was hurt he was in the running for defensive MVP. he was everywhere, making big plays, much more disciplined. i wanna see him in this defense another year and healthy before we run him off, but hes not helping his contract status by not being able to stay on the field.

He has a hurt hamstring, not a pulled titty muscle. :ols::ols:

This **** is preposterous. You guys all wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something?

Hell, let's toss one of the few bright spots this team has and has had under the bus for what? A guy like Reed? A guy like Kareem Moore? Where's his thread? What about Cooley. From what I can tell he eats jelly doughnuts and makes pottery in the offseason. He's injured, frequently, where's the thread suggesting he change his habits too?

*Steve Buckhantz voice* Dagger! :ols:

You do realize you're not supposed to criticize the golden child Chris Cooley right?

Why the hell am I even getting upset? These same genuises will be ****ing and moaning Sunday when Reed gets burnt for a TD and I hope that none of you are in the Live Game thread complaining.

KG you have to be the biggest negative Nancy on this board. Have you ever said anything positive about the Redskins?

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 09:55 AM ----------

i would have agreed until last year. last year before he was hurt he was in the running for defensive MVP. he was everywhere, making big plays, much more disciplined. i wanna see him in this defense another year and healthy before we run him off, but hes not helping his contract status by not being able to stay on the field.

This

You do realize you're not supposed to criticize the golden child Chris Cooley right?

Not to defend the constant whining, but you realize you just did the same thing that the "negative nancies" are doing, too, right?

Just sayin'. The truth with Cooley probably lays somewhere in the middle as well, the same as LaRon. Both help our team tremendously... When healthy.

Good thread, and I agree for the most part.

He's insanely overrated by people on this board. He's not physically reliable, and I expect to see him start only 8 games this year.

We might be looking for another safety in the draft next season.

*Steve Buckhantz voice* Dagger! :ols:

Why the hell am I even getting upset? These same genuises will be ****ing and moaning Sunday when Reed gets burnt for a TD and I hope that none of you are in the Live Game thread complaining.

Well I personally will be rooting 100% for the players that are playing on Sunday regardless if it is Chris or Fred / Laron or Reed.

Not to defend the constant whining, but you realize you just did the same thing that the "negative nancies" are doing, too, right?

Just sayin'. The truth with Cooley probably lays somewhere in the middle as well, the same as LaRon. Both help our team tremendously... When healthy.

Yes I know I have no problem with constructive criticism, but let's not single out certain players and give a free pass to the cool,quirky guy you'd wanna hang out with and name your firstborn son after.

Explain to me how Landry deserves to be higher than Hall on your list, when you openly admit that they have both made boneheaded plays, yet, I think anyone who looks at both players' resumes in the Burgundy and Gold would have to agree, Landry's bad plays have been extremely more costly than Hall's, and Hall has made a significant amount more of key, game changing plays than Landry has.

It's my list first off, thats how. hahaa secondly I played corner and safety so IMO Landry brought more to the defense than Hall did. And that is just it, IMO, from by experience and observations. I am not going to convince you obviously. But last year Landry was playing as an elite safety whether you see it or not is up to you.

I don't think he's over rated. Sure he might be a bit of a head case on the field at times. He also was playing out of position and coaching was attrocious at times.

Having said that, it's the fan base that makes him over rated. His play on the field is what should be judged. Of course he's not the best, but when 100,000 fans say he is, there's always gonna be the 5 fans that say other wise.

Dud was playing at an all pro level last year before his injury. Now he has a set back. Does that make him overrated or injury prone? I say no! He does have David Boston syndrome it appears.

Having said that, tell me which 1st round safety in the years around him you would rather have?

Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Jason Allen, Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson, Brandon Meriweather?

The best of the bunch is Griffin, who has had stability at coaching and was drafted to join one of the best defense in the NFL and not asked to do things outside his strength. That's what makes him a great player and probowler.

LaRon is NOT over rated!

Um...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhV1ZZSn4EM

Didn't he also have that stop against the Eagles his rookie year?

I'm not saying I agree with the OP. I think Landry totally turned it around last year. I am a little frustrated he may not be out there Sunday but don't consider him injury prone.

However, did you watch that highlight video before you linked to it? It shows the highlight plays Landry made but it also shows some of the inconsistencies in his game the OP mentions.There's a missed tackle that should have been made, there are three large pass plays given up in his zone, there an awful angle he takes on the huge Jackson run, Jackson also carries Landry three or four yards for a 1st down on another play.

Even the INT cannot be credited to Landry single handedly winning the game. Jennings was open on the play. The ball from Rodgers was low and behind his right shoulder. That play was made by the pressure applied by Jarmon.

I know the above may sound like I am dissing Landry, which I don't intend to but it's an honest appraisal of the video you linked to.

Here is one article: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/laron-landry/laron-landry-1st-half-defensiv.html

There were more. Give me a number you are looking for and I can find them :)

I am not trying to be a jerk here, but if Jason Reid is the guy your are using to back up Landry's DPOY nomination, you're really standing alone.

Understand, my argument in this thread is not that Landry is not a great player. He has shown flashes of that at times. Sure, last year he looked great in most games (let's not pretend that he didn't get flat out embarrassed last season as well), but his track record is still there with many more bad decisions and plays than great ones. He needs to be more consistent and prove that he is actually the player he has shown he is capable of being from time to time all the time, or at least the majority of the time. We have play-makers on our defense that have shown much more consistency; therefore, Landry would not make my list of top three players on our defense.

Having said that, tell me which 1st round safety in the years around him you would rather have?

Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Jason Allen, Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson, Brandon Meriweather?

The best of the bunch is Griffin, who has had stability at coaching and was drafted to join one of the best defense in the NFL and not asked to do things outside his strength. That's what makes him a great player and probowler.

LaRon is NOT over rated!

I like Eric Berry better than any of the guys listed. Sean Taylor, Eric Berry and Laron were the highest safeties to ever be drafted - 5th, 5th and 6th respectively.

It's my list first off, thats how. hahaa secondly I played corner and safety so IMO Landry brought more to the defense than Hall did. And that is just it, IMO, from by experience and observations. I am not going to convince you obviously. But last year Landry was playing as an elite safety whether you see it or not is up to you.
True, it is your opinion, your list. However, most people trying to form a genuine opinion look at all the facts, not just the one's they want to. Like I mentioned in my post, Hall's plays have been more frequent and numerous in contributing to winning than Landry's. I don't know how you can dismiss that, unless you're trying to be disingenuous.

Archived