Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

People are essentially upset because Laron took the natural learning curve of most players in the NFL. It just so happens that at the position he plays, much like a QB, early mistakes stand out a lot more. When Laron misses a tackle or takes a bad angle, it stands out because it's a large gain. Hypothetically speaking, when Orakpo doesn't shed his blocker or doesn't fill his gap correctly, it can easily go unnoticed because there are so many other players around the play down there. Add to that most young players don't have to play out of position at such an early stage in their careers, and it's understandable that Landry was trying to rely on his athletic ability so much.

I think people should pay closer attention to the progress that was made last year as a sign of what to expect going forward. He had finally seemed to settle into a role that FIT HIM and he was making major contributions to our defense. Once he is back from injury, I expect to see more of the same.

Would you resign him if - this upcoming season - he has the same year he did last year (played well, but got injured), and wanted #1 safety money? Which is, I think around $8MM a year.

It depends. Did he miss the first 8 games and then play the second half injury free or did he play the first 8 games and then end the season injured?

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but as most of you know, I don't give a damn.;)

I am tired of Landry. This guy has been so overrated by 'skins fans. Yeah, the "potential" is there for him to be a top safety, but the guy for one reason or the other can't and might not ever meet that "potential."

Now I know he's made some spectacular plays here and there, but he's also a bonehead whether it be going for the highlight tackle and whiffing, getting beat in coverage, costly penalties, over-pursuing plays because of going for the aforementioned highlight tackle and finally injuries.

Former great Redskins defensive coordinaot Richie Petitbon recently said in an interview that he doesn't care how good a player may be, but if he's injured a lot he doen't want them on his defense. (Paraphrasing of course)

Again, I know he's made the occasional play that makes you say "Wow!" but he is not consistent enough IMO to warrant the praise he gets from 'skins fans and he certainly isn't on the field to warrant that praise either.

Laron Landry-More hype (and muscles) than substance.

I rather have a LaRon Landry than some of the other boneheaded safeties in the league. He has done everything asked of him and hasn't complained a bit about his role. All the things you mentioned about him like getting beat deep, costly penalties and everything else have been because of rookie mistakes and playing out of position because of the loss of Sean Taylor. He got injured last year and now he is injury prone? The only time he gets injured and misses games he is labeled as injury prone. And who cares what Ritchie Petitbone says. He isn't the DC here. I remember guys that played for him that played injured and sometimes injured a lot. So he says one thing but did another. I much rather have a guy that is playing hard and occassionally makes a mistake than a guy that looks like he is playing in quick sand. Players make mistakes and I much rather him and everyone on the team flying around trying to stop the other team from getting first downs or scoring. If you don't want that effort then either you forgot what happens in football or you have never played it in your life.

I kind of agree with the OP in some aspects.

I think part of the issue is that when Landry was drafted, he was seemingly originally intended to be a hard-hitting run-stopping Strong Safety to compliment Sean Taylor who was on his way to becoming the best Free Safety in the NFL. When Taylor passed away it created an unrealistic shadow over Landry to step in and try to get out of.

People saw Landry's hard-hitting style of play and assumed with time he might be able to develop into a Sean Taylor type of Safety. He was moved to free safety for a little bit in hopes he could fill in that role, but it became pretty clear that he did not have the same type of ball-hawking coverage skills as Taylor. Landry often takes bad angles on ball carriers, often going for the impact hit over good coverage.

Unfortunately Landry will never be that good. I am not sure if some of the fanbase is still holding out hope that Landry is going to magically get way better, but I think we have already seen the best he has to offer.

He certainly isn't a bad at his position, but I don't think he is nearly the player some fans want him to be.

To me this all just really shows the void that was left when Sean Taylor passed away.

Same as last year. Played the first 9, then out the final 7.

No, In that case I do not pay him top 5 safety money since it shows he came back from one injury and then either hurt it again or hurt something else causing him to miss half the year.

If he missed the first half of this year and then came back I would be more willing to pay him as you can see one injury (the ach) resulting in the other (hamstring) and he has showed he is back to being healthy again.

Um...

Didn't he also have that stop against the Eagles his rookie year?

The first play in that video is beautiful. Landry makes a strong tackle, forces the fumble, then pops right back up and blocks the **** out of someone while the ball is being returned back.

Can't ask for more than that.

...Yeeeaaaaahh, I'm not in the business of badmouthing one of the real blue chipper players we have. I'm a little miffed that he didn't simply have the offseason surgery necessary to repair the injury, so possibly he'd be okay-ish by now, but the guy was an absolute monster for us last season, playing in his natural position. I think he goes hard for his team, he isn't a headcase, and he wants to be out there. So...yeah. I've got no problem with Dirty 30.

Sorry that he's annoyed you. Sorry that in the past, our DC's tried to make him a free safety and he wasn't good at free safety, even though everyone knew he wasn't going to be good at free safety and he was better in the box as a strong safety. The guy played like a monster most of last season. We're a much better defense with him than we are without him.

This thread is yet another example of the "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" trope.

Explain to me how Landry deserves to be higher than Hall on your list, when you openly admit that they have both made boneheaded plays, yet, I think anyone who looks at both players' resumes in the Burgundy and Gold would have to agree, Landry's bad plays have been extremely more costly than Hall's, and Hall has made a significant amount more of key, game changing plays than Landry has.

Hall allowed more recieving touchdowns than any player in the league last year. I believe the number was 9.

i get a little tired of him at times..skins fans overrate him because he is one of the most talented players in the league and has great potential. it sucks seeing him sidelined or making boneheaded plays/comments, because i know he can be better than that. he needs to make the step forward and become that great player that we know he can be (ie last year) and perform like that all the time.

his developement actually reflects ST in many ways, and i hope he can become and remain the type of player that ST became.

The difference between FS and SS is as great as Strongside LBer and Middle LBer, or Center and Tackle.

It was horrible coaching and game planning that lead to most if not all of Landry's struggles. If you say otherwise I don't understand what you've been watching. I mean his lip ring was a little swishy and people are going to hate on anyone that physically fit - but really every analyst I heard last year was drooling over him finally being in a position to succeed.

:ols: @ why we can't have nice things. Skins fans are like bulls in a china shop

The difference between FS and SS is as great as Strongside LBer and Middle LBer, or Center and Tackle.

It was horrible coaching and game planning that lead to most if not all of Landry's struggles. If you say otherwise I don't understand what you've been watching. I mean his lip ring was a little swishy and people are going to hate on anyone that physically fit - but really every analyst I heard last year was drooling over him finally being in a position to succeed.

:ols: @ why we can't have nice things. Skins fans are like bulls in a china shop

I agree with everything u said here. When he is at SS hes a beast when hes playing FS not so much. I remember that one year Blache had him like 30-35 yards off the ball. Show me anyone who can come up and make a tackle everytime from that far away!

Said it in the other thread, I'll be happy when he's gone... Last of the cancers the Redskins need.

This is laughable. Any dude who puts on button ups and collared shirts and does push ups the night before games in his "work clothes" and deliberately maintains a blue collar "meat and potatoes" work ethic is the opposite of a damn cancer. He's eccentric and you're flat out wrong.

I think the reason the fanbase is so split on Landry is because of his inconsistent play. He's had a few good years, and a bunch of bad ones. It's hard to tell which Landry is the real one, the one that played horribly at FS under Zorn, or the one who played lights out under Shannahan. I'd venture to say the one from last year is the real one, and shows he is coming into his prime. It took a while for Taylor to learn the mental aspects of the game. I think that light finally clicked for Landry last year at SS.

Um...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhV1ZZSn4EM

Didn't he also have that stop against the Eagles his rookie year?

Nice video. Yes, Landry took a few bad angles and made some mistakes, but his athleticism and speed are amazing and on full display in those clips. I'd say his positive plays easily outweighed his negative plays in that game, and honestly, no player is going to ever play a perfect game.

Archived