Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

Sad that he is hurt and not able to play, but there is no need in kicking the guy while he is down. He and Orakpo are the best players on the Redskins defense.

There is always a need to question why a "professional" is not prepared to perform. There are always injuries to deal with, however in this case, you have to ask if we would be having this discussion if Landry spent as much time training his lower body as he has his flex pose. If only he could run on his arms. Then again, maybe the injury is no big deal, he just can't shake the Jacobs trucking he endured a couple of years ago. Get paid; get prepared; and get on the field!

I agree with you to a point. I don't think he has reached his potential and that is sad to me. He looked fantastic until we moved him to FS. Once we moved him back he looks fantastic but got injured. I'm sure the most frustrated with this situation would be LL himself (If he is not upset about not playing at the level we all know he can for 16+ games, let him go i don't want players that don't leave it all on the field on Sundays). We have all seen LL leave it ALL on the field on Sundays. Here's to hoping he achieves his potential, while playing for the Redskins would be even better.

What potential did he leave untapped last season? He came out of the gate mastering the new scheme faster than everybody on the defense and utterly dominated last season. He had 85 tackles in 9 games last year--that's a pace for almost 160 tackles and he had a messed up wrist for almost the entire year and was slowed by his Achilles injury towards the end.

When he's healthy, Landry is the biggest difference maker on the defense. He's the most gifted tackler and hitter I've watched in a long time. He's also a versatile weapon that gets used in all sorts of ways. He walks over and covers the slot; covers opposing 1s on corner blitzes; comes up in box duty and shoots gaps; blitzes; covers deep halves, deep curls, hashmarks, and flats; and he makes all kinds of plays in the open field. He saved the butts of our OLBs and McIntosh so many times during the first half of last season. He saved touchdowns that DHall would have given up.

There just isn't a debate on the matter. Landry is an elite talent who played at an elite level last season. You simply can't watch his tape and come to any other conclusion. Detractors are just throwing arguments like, "oh he can't cover" (false) or "he's never lived up to his potential" (vague and unsubstantiated--prove the negative).

Don't agree with your whole post, but I do absolutely agree with this. Rak is a STUD pass rusher. And a mediocre (at best) OLB.

Half because the rest of this thread is ridiculous, half because I actually want to know your opinion:

Would it be more precise to say that Orakpo is, at this point, not as good as a pass rusher at OLB in this particular system? The way that I take your post is that an OLB is inherently not a pass rusher, but I don't think that's what you meant.

There's some wholehearted support for Landry on this thread and some fairly aggressive posters responding to ANY criticism of him. I find it an interesting contrast to the lack of such support for Cooley on the "trade Cooley" thread. Cooley is a player who has reached pro bowl level for the Skins. Had 1 injury year but came back and had a great year last year yet most posters are happy to ditch him for draft picks.

Yet Landry has never reached pro bowl level, was putting together a decent year after a lousy one before getting injured and he's the cornerstone of our defence? I don't get it.

There is always a need to question why a "professional" is not prepared to perform. There are always injuries to deal with, however in this case, you have to ask if we would be having this discussion if Landry spent as much time training his lower body as he has his flex pose. If only he could run on his arms. Then again, maybe the injury is no big deal, he just can't shake the Jacobs trucking he endured a couple of years ago. Get paid; get prepared; and get on the field!

I find it hilarious that just because the guy is built up top, fans think they actually know his workout routine...this isn't 10th grade where you only workout your arms and chest so you have arm muscles to subtly flex for the girls when you tie your shoes or some ****. :ols:

Do you REALLY think a pro athlete is working out his lower body, and his core, any less than his upper body? Do you REALLY think that would fly with our training staff, or with Haslett, and then Shanahan, once the training staff told them about Landry's insistence to NOT follow their suggestions/directions?

Come on. This is just ridiculous. A guy in the NFL spends THAT much more time working out his arms, so that he's ripped, that his legs don't get enough work. :doh:

Just think about that. And think about all the money teams have invested in players...he might work out on his own a lot, but if it was actually a detriment to his play, his lower body, and hence his health, it would not be going on. Not with this regime.

There's some wholehearted support for Landry on this thread and some fairly aggressive posters responding to ANY criticism of him. I find it an interesting contrast to the lack of such support for Cooley on the "trade Cooley" thread. Cooley is a player who has reached pro bowl level for the Skins. Had 1 injury year but came back and had a great year last year yet most posters are happy to ditch him for draft picks.

Yet Landry has never reached pro bowl level, was putting together a decent year after a lousy one before getting injured and he's the cornerstone of our defence? I don't get it.

Chris Cooley has a backup with a higher ceiling and was a higher draft pick in Fred Davis.

Laron Landry has Reed Doughty....

**bangs gavel**

I see Landry as one of those freakish athletes that may not be a great football player. It could be that Haslett is using him more effectively than other coaches have so he had a better season last year. I hope that continues.

I'm a little weary that perhaps his obsession with being a body-builder contributes to his injuries and makes him less agile/mobile... and that fringy, cut-up half shirt has got to go. Dude is way too concerned with his looks.

Half because the rest of this thread is ridiculous, half because I actually want to know your opinion:

Would it be more precise to say that Orakpo is, at this point, not as good as a pass rusher at OLB in this particular system? The way that I take your post is that an OLB is inherently not a pass rusher, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Erm, I'm not even sure what you're saying...

Orakpo lacks skills to be a traditional 3-4 OLB, in fact, my guess is that he's only given that label because people have to classify him as something. His role is more of a pass rusher than it is anything else. But an OLB generally must be sound against the run and able to cover somewhat. Rak has struggled in the past in both of those categories. He excels in the pass rushing aspect. I've seen us use two down linemen sets with our OLBs as walk up DEs. His primary job is to pass rush and contain. Which is why he's not an actual OLB. He's called that by name only. His position is more of a Shark role (which is my own terminology, meaning he's going to get the QB the majority of the time, and only cover to keep defenses off balance on where the rush is coming from). If you asked him to play a traditional OLB role, where there is a bit more balance in coverage, I don't think he'd be as good. This is another guy who Haslett (as much as I can't stand him) is using his personnel correctly. Rak was a DE, it's a tough transition to go from DE to OLB... Which is why I don't necessarily blame him. But, he's not really an OLB... In my opinion.

\

Your so full of crap. LL was asked after Taylor passed to play FS when he is a SS, but he still covered better than say oh, ROY WILLIAMS. He had a great year last year, why? He was put in the proper position to do so. And yeah I missed Fletcher, which I acknowledged already.

wrong. Roy's first 3 years was way better then any of Landry's years in the league, and especially in coverage. The man cant cover...to argue otherwise is to show that you dont watch close enough to what is gong on.

Why don't these threads come up when a players healthy?

Seems like piling on to me

Oh and BTW, injuries happen...LL is no different from anyone else playing this game

But when he plays like he did last year he's great

At least we didn't pay him over 50 million this season without taking a physical like the Colts did

http://thejetpress.com/2011/09/09/colts-peyton-manning-signed-contract-without-physical/

I bet the OP would be sick of PM as well, lol

Um... no dude. Landry is a better SS than Orakpo is an OLB.

London is the best player on the defense. He's the best player on the team. Followed by Landry.

But Landry could pass him this season if he gets healthy.

And Landry's coverage skills are fine.

I completely disagree with that Rak is one of the best OLB in the game, LL cant cover, which strong or free matters not, because a safety has to cover......especially in the skins system, they brought in OJ for a reason....because he can play. And they (Skins) play a "safety high" defense. They switch free and strong throughout......

I completely disagree with that Rak is one of the best OLB in the game, LL cant cover, which strong or free matters not, because a safety has to cover......especially in the skins system, they brought in OJ for a reason....because he can play. And they (Skins) play a "safety high" defense. They switch free and strong throughout......

Orakpo can't cover either, and up until this pre-season, he struggled against the run.

Orakpo can't cover either, and up until this pre-season, he struggled against the run.

ok, nevermiond, if you think a 3-4 backer has coverage responsibilities compared to a SS....then never mind.I dont wanna debate something that is UN-winnable......because no matter what my point or counterpoint is, it want matter.......

I actually cant wait for LL to get healthy. I think teams pick on him the second he gets on the field. (andy reid style)

ok, nevermiond, if you think a 3-4 backer has coverage responsibilities compared to a SS....then never mind.I dont wanna debate something that is UN-winnable......because no matter what my point or counterpoint is, it want matter.......

I actually cant wait for LL to get healthy. I think teams pick on him the second he gets on the field. (andy reid style)

I'm not saying that a backer has the same coverage responsiblitiy as LL. Not saying that for a second.

But other than the D-Jax catch last year... Can you think of a bad play Landry had in coverage last year??

He allowed nothing deep. I actually think the deepest pass he allowed was the one in the Packers game...He then forced a fumble after the catch.

I rememeber in the game vs the Colts he had BEAUTIFUL coverage on Dallas Clark. Timed the hit perfectly and jarred the ball loose..

Serously though, tell me 1 blown coverage by Landry last year. He wasn't AMAZING last year im coverage, but he certainly wasn't a liability.

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but as most of you know, I don't give a damn.;)

I am tired of Landry. This guy has been so overrated by 'skins fans. Yeah, the "potential" is there for him to be a top safety, but the guy for one reason or the other can't and might not ever meet that "potential."

Now I know he's made some spectacular plays here and there, but he's also a bonehead whether it be going for the highlight tackle and whiffing, getting beat in coverage, costly penalties, over-pursuing plays because of going for the aforementioned highlight tackle and finally injuries.

Former great Redskins defensive coordinaot Richie Petitbon recently said in an interview that he doesn't care how good a player may be, but if he's injured a lot he doen't want them on his defense. (Paraphrasing of course)

Landry has one us several games Green Bay last year comes to mind the phili game where he kept a last second touchdown from occuring among many other games name me one redskins player that had a significant play on defense to actually put us in position to WIN a game...just one...also look around the league its not like the best safeties never get hurt and never get beat deep every one of em have been hurt or have been beaten deep as well has made a boneheaded play...Yes maybe we did stretch the 6th pick overall or wherever we drafted him but him and taylor would have been an amazing combo for years...its sad that we have to elude that very fact and come out and critiscize a player because of where we drafted him.

Again, I know he's made the occasional play that makes you say "Wow!" but he is not consistent enough IMO to warrant the praise he gets from 'skins fans and he certainly isn't on the field to warrant that praise either.

Laron Landry-More hype (and muscles) than substance.

Landry has one us several games Green Bay last year comes to mind the phili game where he kept a last second touchdown from occuring among many other games name me one redskins player that had a significant play on defense to actually put us in position to WIN a game...just one. Yeah hes hurt now but hes definately an upgrade to most safeties around the league defensive backs are gonna be beat safeties are gonna be beat its just part of the game i know very few safeties in the league that have not gotten burnt deep if ne....as well as not gotten hurt...

They don't in comparison to a SS... But they do have coverage responsibilities... And that, along with ability to play run are two of Rak's weaknesses. What makes Rak stick out as a stud is his pass rush ability. He is playing out of position at OLB and still serviceable in that role and a STELLAR pass rusher. But he's NOT a complete OLB. But, then again, that's not his role in this defense... To be a complete OLB. OLB is a label for the media to call him, not his actual position.

Landry has one us several games Green Bay last year comes to mind the phili game where he kept a last second touchdown from occuring among many other games name me one redskins player that had a significant play on defense to actually put us in position to WIN a game...just one. Yeah hes hurt now but hes definately an upgrade to most safeties around the league defensive backs are gonna be beat safeties are gonna be beat its just part of the game i know very few safeties in the league that have not gotten burnt deep if ne....as well as not gotten hurt...

He actually sealed 2 games vs the Eagles. 1 his roookie year on Monday night and 1 his 2nd year in like week 16...He and Smoot knocked Jason Avant back like 4 yards on the last play.

Didn't read the thread, only the OP.

I'm not tired of Landry.

I thinks he's a good S at both FS and SS.

I just wonder/worry that his addiction to getting 'big' is becoming a liability rather then a benefit.

I don't think it's a huge issue. He needs to be big considering the way we use him. He rushes the passer a lot more than most realize and he's taking on offensive linemen and holding his own. Landry has an extremely rugged playing style that generates heavy, heavy contact. In addition to this, Landry also has an enormous playing range. He's gettng involved in the play on almost every single snap and he gets involved on basically every single running play. His body wears as much as a lineman's without the benefit of a rotation plus the need to run the field in coverage. If Landry wasn't so big then he couldn't play the way he does and we couldn't use him like we do nor rely on him in against the run like we did.

Not to speaking to you DG, but it seems like most of the people complaining about Landry in this thread have no memory of last season. How about some youtube videos to refresh us on how spectacular a player he is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yz6DrpwJV8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3bEgrL1YY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhV1ZZSn4EM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7xlWLkGlE

They're long but very thorough and extremely entertaining. If watching those videos doesn't get your juices flowing then you're either a Cowboys/Eagles/Giants fan or have no pulse.

Actually, watching the vids above reminded me of what I hate most about Landry: His reckless tackling that WILL get one of our own players injured eventually, and his dancing around like a jackass after he lays a hit when the ball carrier gained 10+ yards and a first down.

He needs to reel it in a bit. It made ST a better overall player. If he keeps throwing his body around the way he does, he's going to be the most penalized player in the league (given the new rules about receivers inability to defend themselves, whatever the hell that means).

Erm, I'm not even sure what you're saying...

Orakpo lacks skills to be a traditional 3-4 OLB, in fact, my guess is that he's only given that label because people have to classify him as something. His role is more of a pass rusher than it is anything else. But an OLB generally must be sound against the run and able to cover somewhat. Rak has struggled in the past in both of those categories. He excels in the pass rushing aspect. I've seen us use two down linemen sets with our OLBs as walk up DEs. His primary job is to pass rush and contain. Which is why he's not an actual OLB. He's called that by name only. His position is more of a Shark role (which is my own terminology, meaning he's going to get the QB the majority of the time, and only cover to keep defenses off balance on where the rush is coming from). If you asked him to play a traditional OLB role, where there is a bit more balance in coverage, I don't think he'd be as good. This is another guy who Haslett (as much as I can't stand him) is using his personnel correctly. Rak was a DE, it's a tough transition to go from DE to OLB... Which is why I don't necessarily blame him. But, he's not really an OLB... In my opinion.

No, you understood. Question answered.

Kind of reminds me of Chris Cooley being classified as a tight end when he had different responsibilities than a typical tight end has, at least in 2005.

Archived