Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

wrong. Roy's first 3 years was way better then any of Landry's years in the league, and especially in coverage. The man cant cover...to argue otherwise is to show that you dont watch close enough to what is gong on.

I watched with joy many of Roy "Burnt Toast" Williams moments. Take your cowboy glasses off TRPB and put them away. LL is a better saftety than Roy Williams otherwise Roy would still be on the Cowboys and LL would not be a Redskin.

To quote the famous Yogi Berra: "80% of this game is mental. The other half is physical." Although Yogi was talking about baseball and the math is a little skewed, the point is obvious. Great physical skills do not always equate to making an NFL player the best he can be. The best of NFL players all have physical gifts, but what puts an individual in that top tier of NFL players ahead of a large group of other players with physical gifts is the mental aspect of the game.

The mental aspect of the game is made up of several ingredients. Some of it is experience. Some of it is maturity. Some of it is desire. Some is work ethic, Some is character. Some is that nebulous ingredient called "football smarts". And some of it is that some people are just smarter than others.

Landry has all of the physical gifts that God could give to an NFL football player. He has speed, size, vision, youth and strength. Since he is currently hurt we'll have to wait to see that part of his game again. If there is anything that will stop him from being listed among the best in the NFL, it is the second part of the game - the 80% that's mental that Yogi speaks of. Does he have the desire? Since he's hurt and off the field, is he in the film room every day looking at the offenses he faces? That takes maturity, character and work ethic. He has some experience in the ever-changing NFL. Does he have the smarts to listen to his coaches and see what has changed and learn about it before he faces it? Does he study his opponents and look at their moves and the "tells" (to use a poker term) they have that can give him, or the team, an edge? Maintaining the physical part probably comes easy to him. Is he working as hard on the mental aspect of the game?

Physically, I don't think there's a question to how good Landry is or can be. In my opinion, the book is still out on the mental aspect of his game. Just because he's in the NFL doesn't mean he has the mental aspect to be the best. As a Redskin fan, I hope he does.

I seem to be experiencing Deja Vu. Wasnt there a bunch of folks calling for Landry's head before last season started as well? The the season started and he came out and exceeded everybody's expectations, quieted the haters and evryone began back tracking and kissing his ass. Thats howe I remember it anyways. I cant wait til he gets healthy so he can shut up the naysayers AGAIN. As for saying Roy Williams was a better safety than Landry. PLEASE. Roy Williams was garbage compared to Landry. Typical uninformed Cowboys fan trying to act like he knows what he is talking about.

To quote the famous Yogi Berra: "80% of this game is mental. The other half is physical." Although Yogi was talking about baseball and the math is a little skewed, the point is obvious. Great physical skills do not always equate to making an NFL player the best he can be. The best of NFL players all have physical gifts, but what puts an individual in that top tier of NFL players ahead of a large group of other players with physical gifts is the mental aspect of the game.

The mental aspect of the game is made up of several ingredients. Some of it is experience. Some of it is maturity. Some of it is desire. Some is work ethic, Some is character. Some is that nebulous ingredient called "football smarts". And some of it is that some people are just smarter than others.

Landry has all of the physical gifts that God could give to an NFL football player. He has speed, size, vision, youth and strength. Since he is currently hurt we'll have to wait to see that part of his game again. If there is anything that will stop him from being listed among the best in the NFL, it is the second part of the game - the 80% that's mental that Yogi speaks of. Does he have the desire? Since he's hurt and off the field, is he in the film room every day looking at the offenses he faces? That takes maturity, character and work ethic. He has some experience in the ever-changing NFL. Does he have the smarts to listen to his coaches and see what has changed and learn about it before he faces it? Does he study his opponents and look at their moves and the "tells" (to use a poker term) they have that can give him, or the team, an edge? Maintaining the physical part probably comes easy to him. Is he working as hard on the metal aspect of the game?

Physically, I don't think there's a question to how good Landry is or can be. In my opinion, the book is still out on the mental aspect of his game. Just because he's in the NFL doesn't mean he has the mental aspect to be the best. As a Redskin fan, I hope he does.

I just don't see how a player's latest body of work does not define how good the player is. I could understand if it were a single play or a quarter or even a game or two, but it was non-stop for eight games straight. On a piss-poor defense.

If you are so good as to be leading the league in Pro Bowl voting, while NOT being a Cowboy/Colt/Steeler/Patriot/Eagle, AND being on what would be the 31st defense in the NFL, then doesn't that say SOMETHING about how good you are?

I just can't see the other side. It's not that it isn't valid, I just don't see it at all.

I just don't see how a player's latest body of work does not define how good the player is. I could understand if it were a single play or a quarter or even a game or two, but it was non-stop for eight games straight. On a piss-poor defense.

If you are so good as to be leading the league in Pro Bowl voting, while NOT being a Cowboy/Colt/Steeler/Patriot/Eagle, AND being on what would be the 31st defense in the NFL, then doesn't that say SOMETHING about how good you are?

I just can't see the other side. It's not that it isn't valid, I just don't see it at all.

But the NFL has flash-in-the pan types all the time. Players that have that one great season but never gie you another one. Hell, as Redskins fans, we've seen many, including Rypien (1991), Michael Westbrooke (1999), and even Brad Johnson had an amazing year in 1999 with us (went over half the season with amazing yards and zero INT's). Rypien was in the same boat as LL, doubted by the fans because he didn't live up to the title of starter, then had an incredible season and won the SB, then went back to being unreliable. I'm not saying that is what we have in LL, but wanting to see him prove that those eight games weren't just a mirage, and that he can do it consistantly is understandable IMO.

But the NFL has flash-in-the pan types all the time. Players that have that one great season but never gie you another one. Hell, as Redskins fans, we've seen many, including Rypien (1991), Michael Westbrooke (1999), and even Brad Johnson had an amazing year in 1999 with us (went over half the season with amazing yards and zero INT's). Rypien was in the same boat as LL, doubted by the fans because he didn't live up to the title of starter, then had an incredible season and won the SB, then went back to being unreliable. I'm not saying that is what we have in LL, but wanting to see him prove that those eight games weren't just a mirage, and that he can do it consistantly is understandable IMO.

Confused, because I could have sworn he had a good rookie year. Not average, not below average but good. Instead of the FO going and getting a true FS they failed the player by keeping him out of position and he had an average year in 2008 playing 30 yards from the line of scrim. His worst year was 2009. LaRon'S average/poor was clearly a result poor coaching. Not to mention the FO didn't help not addressing the position in the wake of STs death.

All this is coming from a guy who wanted him traded before the start of last season. However, he played out of this world last year when he was put back in the position we drafted him for. Kind of made me realize I don't know What the **** I'm talking about as it pertains to football 85% of the time.

Hail

Your point that any non-Cowbiy/Colt/Steeler/Patriot/Eagle being voted on to the ProBowl is valid. There is no denying that Landry's physical abilities put him n the top tier for a season. The physical side can carry an athlete for a season or two or three and nowhere do I say that Landry was not the best strong safety last season. But physical ability will only carry a player so far. The mental aspect will make the difference between a great season and a great career. The point is that, no matter how good Landry is, that if he concentrates on the mental aspect of the game that is under his control, he can be that much better. Think Landry's physical gifts coupled with London Fletcher's mental aspect (who, although talented, does not have Landry's physical gifts.). That's what I'm talking about.

I don't think that Rypien, Westbrook, or Johnson support what you're saying, and all for the same reason. Rypien was lights out in 1991 under Joe Gibbs, average year in 1992, and then Gibbs left. Westbrook and Johnson were tops in the NFL that year, and then Snyder went and ****ed up our team for the next twelve. Johnson went on to win a Super Bowl shortly thereafter, in the twilight of his career. Westbrook now punches people in the face professionally.

Landry was a Pro Bowl alternate his rookie year. He was a monster at strong safety and we didn't miss a beat at free safety when Sean went down. Landry then loses a coach with balls, and man I've been saying this since 2008, and he deteriorates. Landry needs a Williams who will grab his facemask and tear him a new one if he ****s up. His next coach? A coward who wouldn't even face the media. I knew that he wouldn't perform where he could until he had the right coach. Enter Haslett, enter an all-star season.

The *ONE* thing that changed between Landry being a Pro Bowler to being just a pretty good player is his coach. That's it.

There's no flash in the pan as long as the chef knows what he's doing.

Your point that any non-Cowbiy/Colt/Steeler/Patriot/Eagle being voted on to the ProBowl is valid. There is no denying that Landry's physical abilities put him n the top tier for a season. The physical side can carry an athlete for a season or two or three and nowhere do I say that Landry was not the best strong safety last season. But physical ability will only carry a player so far. The mental aspect will make the difference between a great season and a great career. The point is that, no matter how good Landry is, that if he concentrates on the mental aspect of the game that is under his control, he can be that much better. Think Landry's physical gifts coupled with London Fletcher's mental aspect (who, although talented, does not have Landry's physical gifts.). That's what I'm talking about.

Confused, because I could have sworn he had a good rookie year. Not average, not below average but good. Instead of the FO going and getting a true FS they failed the player by keeping him out of position and he had an average year in 2008 playing 30 yards from the line of scrim. His worst year was 2009. LaRon'S average/poor was clearly a result poor coaching. Not to mention the FO didn't help not addressing the position in the wake of STs death.

All this is coming from a guy who wanted him traded before the start of last season. However, he played out of this world last year when he was put back in the position we drafted him for. Kind of made me realize I don't know What the **** I'm talking about as it pertains to football 85% of the time.

Hail

Playing out of position doesn't excuse most of the boneheaded mistakes he has made though. It doesn't matter what position a defensive player is playing at, he should know how to tackle, he should not be more interested in getting on the highlight real on ESPN for a big time hit than actually stopping the player, and his position assignment doesn't have anything to do with his person foul penalties that he has committed. As Wildbill said above, the physical game is only a small part of the overall game, and I don't think anyone would question LL's physical attributes when it comes to the game of football. However, his mental game has left a lot of question marks that I don't think can all be erased after only eight games. If he proves that he can play smart, sound football this season, than I think that should put all of the doubts to rest, but I understand why some fans are still a little skeptical to accept that LL has truly come around. The only thing that can put everyone at ease is for him to just get healthy and on the field to show everyone where he is at.

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 12:56 PM ----------

I don't think that Rypien, Westbrook, or Johnson support what you're saying, and all for the same reason. Rypien was lights out in 1991 under Joe Gibbs, average year in 1992, and then Gibbs left. Westbrook and Johnson were tops in the NFL that year, and then Snyder went and ****ed up our team for the next twelve. Johnson went on to win a Super Bowl shortly thereafter, in the twilight of his career. Westbrook now punches people in the face professionally.

Landry was a Pro Bowl alternate his rookie year. He was a monster at strong safety and we didn't miss a beat at free safety when Sean went down. Landry then loses a coach with balls, and man I've been saying this since 2008, and he deteriorates. Landry needs a Williams who will grab his facemask and tear him a new one if he ****s up. His next coach? A coward who wouldn't even face the media. I knew that he wouldn't perform where he could until he had the right coach. Enter Haslett, enter an all-star season.

The *ONE* thing that changed between Landry being a Pro Bowler to being just a pretty good player is his coach. That's it.

There's no flash in the pan as long as the chef knows what he's doing.

I understand where you are coming from. I truly do. I'm just saying that I also understand why people still have doubts about the guy and want to see him play consistently like he did last season before believing he has truly come of age.

Playing out of position doesn't excuse most of the boneheaded mistakes he has made though. It doesn't matter what position a defensive player is playing at, he should know how to tackle, he should not be more interested in getting on the highlight real on ESPN for a big time hit than actually stopping the player, and his position assignment doesn't have anything to do with his person foul penalties that he has committed. As Wildbill said above, the physical game is only a small part of the overall game, and I don't think anyone would question LL's physical attributes when it comes to the game of football. However, his mental game has left a lot of question marks that I don't think can all be erased after only eight games. If he proves that he can play smart, sound football this season, than I think that should put all of the doubts to rest, but I understand why some fans are still a little skeptical to accept that LL has truly come around. The only thing that can put everyone at ease is for him to just get healthy and on the field to show everyone where he is at.

Coach Gibbs coaching staff never had issues with his mental aspect of the game. Coach Shanahan hasn't voiced any issues with it either. Seems like its just an Extremeskins thing. The guy wasn't making the mental errors last season. Of course you make mistakes here and there your not perfect. In hindsight, he isn't nearly as bad as TS is making him. He had a good rookie year, and ok sophomore year, a bad 3rd year and a great 4rth year. That doesn't equate to a one year wonder.

Coach Gibbs coaching staff never had issues with his mental aspect of the game. Coach Shanahan hasn't voiced any issues with it either. Seems like its just an Extremeskins thing. The guy wasn't making the mental errors last season. Of course you make mistakes here and there your not perfect. In hindsight, he isn't nearly as bad as TS is making him. He had a good rookie year, and ok sophomore year, a bad 3rd year and a great 4rth year. That doesn't equate to a one year wonder.

No, but it does make him sound like an average player who simply had one good (half) of a year. The big question now in my mind, is that now that he has suffered a culmination of injuries that have caused him to miss time playing the game, will he be able to adapt to overcome those injuries and continue his career at a high level? Is he becoming the "wiley vet" in front of our eyes, where as most people will tell you as they get old, they learn how to operate "smarter", not "harder". Does LL possess that quality to potentially realize that he may have to depend less on the physical attributes that got him to where he is today, and depend more on the mental aspects of the game to allow him to improve the play of his game even further, and hopefully take him to the next level? I hope he does, because I like the guy, (in fact at the moment I have to say I like all the guys that are currently playing on my beloved Skins), and I want him to succeed along with every other player on the team.

Coach Gibbs coaching staff never had issues with his mental aspect of the game.
I guess you never saw any of those games in 2007 where LL cost us 15 yards for stupid ass penalties, like for cheap-shot late hits, hitting people out of bounds, standing over receivers and making cut throat motions, etc.? His tackling was never consistent and he would take bad angles even then. That was during Gibbs time here, and I would call that some mental errors.

I guess you never saw any of those games in 2007 where LL cost us 15 yards for stupid ass penalties, like for cheap-shot late hits, hitting people out of bounds, standing over receivers and making cut throat motions, etc.? His tackling was never consistent and he would take bad angles even then. That was during Gibbs time here, and I would call that some mental errors.

Sounds like rookie mistakes. Sean got some of those his first year as well. He isn't going to be the perfect tackler (no one is lol). Seems like an Extremeskins claim as I said earlier. Never heard any of the coaching staffs say they had any worries about his mental development as it pertained to playing Safety.

Archived