Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but as most of you know, I don't give a damn.;)

I am tired of Landry. This guy has been so overrated by 'skins fans. Yeah, the "potential" is there for him to be a top safety, but the guy for one reason or the other can't and might not ever meet that "potential."

Now I know he's made some spectacular plays here and there, but he's also a bonehead whether it be going for the highlight tackle and whiffing, getting beat in coverage, costly penalties, over-pursuing plays because of going for the aforementioned highlight tackle and finally injuries.

Former great Redskins defensive coordinaot Richie Petitbon recently said in an interview that he doesn't care how good a player may be, but if he's injured a lot he doen't want them on his defense. (Paraphrasing of course)

Again, I know he's made the occasional play that makes you say "Wow!" but he is not consistent enough IMO to warrant the praise he gets from 'skins fans and he certainly isn't on the field to warrant that praise either.

Laron Landry-More hype (and muscles) than substance.

Yeah, I'm tired of having talented players on our team too. :silly:

With his injury history, it shouldn't be hard keeping him.

You mean like the play vs the Eagles where he forced Vince Young to throw an INT to Dhall in the 3rd Quarter of a 13 point game?

Or him making an open field tackle on Mike Vick the play before to knock him out of the game?

Or like the FF in his first series this year vs Dallas?

Or his monster hit to make Lurant Robinson drop a 40 yard pass?

Or his sack vs Carolina?

Or him giving Stevie Johnson alligator arms to save a first down yesterday?

How is he supposed to do any better than this?

He's coming back from a broken wrist and an Achilles strain. This was his 5th game back?

What does him jawing have to do with anything? Yeah, it's good to not have your players jaw after a first down, although, he never did after a first down.

He and Fred Jackson were obviously friends. They were padding each other on the helmets after almost every play.

Face it, it doesn't matter what you guys say.

Matt Bowen has said that he is the best box safety in the league.

Jason Ried said that a coach told him that Landry is an Elite safety.

The IDP rankings have him as the second best DB this year.

Can you tell me one time other than yesterday that he had a lapse in coverage?

No, that's because he has been great in coverage this year.

Now am I saying he is perfect? No.

Sometimes (Ecspecially yesterday) he doesn't realize that a receiver that he isn't covering caught the ball, and is late to pursue.

He does bite on PA, but this year, his speed has allowed him to catch back up to the TE or the person he's covering.

I don't get ES and Skins fans when it comes to Landry. It seems like they just wait for him to make a mistake, it's like they WANT it to happen. But it doesn't matter, if he stays healthy, he will be on this team for years to come.

and I know you don't remember Ken Houston...some good play above sure, but c'mon if those plays you consider game changing ...please...I think we LOST all those games...he gets burned repeatedly and misses tackles and is out of position...#37 for the Bills outplayed LL30 by far yesterday...reading the play, range and physicality

I am looking for a Ronnie Lott type presence before I crown LL #30 anything special given his shotty history w us and the hype he receives...you can go ahead and hang on his jock if you want, I'd like to see better play and better leadership..

I DID like him standing up about #59 being pissed at him...he could have tried to duck that and he didn't..props

I think us as Skins' fans hoped, even slightly, that Landry would be able to step in for Sean Taylor. Simply put, Landry is just not a guy you want out in space. I don't know if he lacks the drive to become an elite safety in the Reed and Troy P mold, but for whatever reason he costs us in some fashion every game. The guy makes great plays from time to time, but we need a guy that makes plays every time he steps on the field. I still see Landry trying to make that knock out hit and not wrapping up. It's getting kinda frustrating to be honest with you.

I think us as Skins' fans hoped, even slightly, that Landry would be able to step in for Sean Taylor. Simply put, Landry is just not a guy you want out in space. I don't know if he lacks the drive to become an elite safety in the Reed and Troy P mold, but for whatever reason he costs us in some fashion every game. The guy makes great plays from time to time, but we need a guy that makes plays every time he steps on the field. I still see Landry trying to make that knock out hit and not wrapping up. It's getting kinda frustrating to be honest with you.

Can you please give an example of that from this year?

Because quite simply. you're wrong. Landry is the second best tackler on the team.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 06:43 PM ----------

and I know you don't remember Ken Houston...some good play above sure, but c'mon if those plays you consider game changing ...please...I think we LOST all those games...he gets burned repeatedly and misses tackles and is out of position...#37 for the Bills outplayed LL30 by far yesterday...reading the play, range and physicality

I am looking for a Ronnie Lott type presence before I crown LL #30 anything special given his shotty history w us and the hype he receives...you can go ahead and hang on his jock if you want, I'd like to see better play and better leadership..

I DID like him standing up about #59 being pissed at him...he could have tried to duck that and he didn't..props

He gave the offense two chances to score vs Dallas and Philly. What is he supposed to do? Play Offense. It's not HIS fault we lost.

He doesn't get the INTS like Wilson because teams aren't throwing at him. I swear, that might sound completely crazy, but I promise you. He hasn't really been thrown at this year. Which tells you that his coverage has improved.

landrys only issue is his stupid behavior sometimes, and i can live with that as long as he produces.

his injuries scare me, thats all i worry about. if the medical staff thinks hes ok to sign to a deal, im cool with it.

:applause:Another logical fan that just wants our best athletes to help our team win football games.

I personally don't care if Landry plays grabass after every tackle, he's embarrassing and making himself look like a fool. As long as Landry continues to roam the LOS, cause havok and fumbles in the backfield, break up passes down field and make WR's think twice about catching a pass in front of him, I want him on my team.

Can you please give an example of that from this year?

Because quite simply. you're wrong. Landry is the second best tackler on the team.

Judging by your screen name, there's probably no winning this debate.

I will say, however, I like Landry and think he's our best athlete. I just want the guy to wrap up more, maybe even be a bit more instinctive like Polamalu. He is right behind Fletcher in terms of tackling, but he definitely makes quite a few mistakes in coverage.

The only Skins fans who hoped he would replace ST, do not know the difference between a SS, and a FS. There is a big difference. The only reason LL played FS after ST's passing was desperation out of tragedy.

He is physically awesome, but even he couldn't fill those shoes. He was playing out of his natural position, and was getting burnt.

The only Skins fans who hoped he would replace ST, do not know the difference between a SS, and a FS. There is a big difference. The only reason LL played FS after ST's passing was desperation out of tragedy.

He is physically awesome, but even he couldn't fill those shoes. He was playing out of his natural position, and was getting burnt.

No one said replace, I said step in, as in become even remotely the force Taylor was for us. Landry could never, ever play FS with his mentality. He is an in-the-box kinda guy, that's where he belongs.

Every time Fred Jackson had a nice run, Landry slapped him five and fondled his balls. When you're getting your ass kicked you don't congratulate the guy who's doing the ass kicking. Laron is nothing but a punk who hasn't proven ****.

Landry needs to stay. im not sure i understand the criticism for a guy who returns after an achilles injuriy and forces a fumble in one game and knocks out a starting quarterback in another. he's tacking much better than he used to,and doesn't appear to be going for the big hit like many posters repeatedly claim. And it was extraordinarily clear that Landry and Fred Jackson are friends, and were trash talking for the fun of it.

It boggles my mind that Landry is continally critiqued, when that other safety has done absolutely nothing for us. some guy named Otogwe

Every time Fred Jackson had a nice run, Landry slapped him five and fondled his balls. When you're getting your ass kicked you don't congratulate the guy who's doing the ass kicking. Laron is nothing but a punk who hasn't proven ****.

Dude Really? Did ya ever think that they might be friends? Or in your world are Redskin players not allowed to have friends outside of the franchise.

Dude Really? Did ya ever think that they might be friends? Or in your world are Redskin players not allowed to have friends outside of the franchise.

Not friends on the field, especially not when your opponent is shoving the ball down your throat. We can be friends before and after the game, not during.

Not friends on the field, especially not when your opponent is shoving the ball down your throat. We can be friends before and after the game, not during.

So you can't help up another player if they're wearing a different jersey? I've seen Fletch do that before, yet no one jumps on him for doing it.

So you can't help up another player if they're wearing a different jersey? I've seen Fletch do that before, yet no one jumps on him for doing it.

If this team played with more hatred for the opponent, we wouldn't get manhandled the way we have lately. I'm not saying be a bunch of *******s, but cut out all the friendly **** and kick someone in the teeth!

If this team played with more hatred for the opponent, we wouldn't get manhandled the way we have lately. I'm not saying be a bunch of *******s, but cut out all the friendly **** and kick someone in the teeth!

Between the whistles, sure. After the play's over, there's absolutely nothing wrong with helping the guy up. It's not like they're not hitting as hard because they're buddies.

You mean like the play vs the Eagles where he forced Vince Young to throw an INT to Dhall in the 3rd Quarter of a 13 point game?

Or him making an open field tackle on Mike Vick the play before to knock him out of the game?

Or like the FF in his first series this year vs Dallas?

Or his monster hit to make Lurant Robinson drop a 40 yard pass?

Or his sack vs Carolina?

Or him giving Stevie Johnson alligator arms to save a first down yesterday?

How is he supposed to do any better than this?

He's coming back from a broken wrist and an Achilles strain. This was his 5th game back?

What does him jawing have to do with anything? Yeah, it's good to not have your players jaw after a first down, although, he never did after a first down.

He and Fred Jackson were obviously friends. They were padding each other on the helmets after almost every play.

Face it, it doesn't matter what you guys say.

Matt Bowen has said that he is the best box safety in the league.

Jason Ried said that a coach told him that Landry is an Elite safety.

The IDP rankings have him as the second best DB this year.

Can you tell me one time other than yesterday that he had a lapse in coverage?

No, that's because he has been great in coverage this year.

Now am I saying he is perfect? No.

Sometimes (Ecspecially yesterday) he doesn't realize that a receiver that he isn't covering caught the ball, and is late to pursue.

He does bite on PA, but this year, his speed has allowed him to catch back up to the TE or the person he's covering.

I don't get ES and Skins fans when it comes to Landry. It seems like they just wait for him to make a mistake, it's like they WANT it to happen. But it doesn't matter, if he stays healthy, he will be on this team for years to come.

You do realize these are all things that an average safety does right? well minus the extreme flex off after giving up a 15 yard gain.

His speed his speed hasn't allowed him to catch a cold this year. I see him standing around piles and giving up on pursuit. He had 1 good and 1 decent game this year. Forget the stats and watch the game. Forget your man crush based on his looks and watch him play.

You do realize these are all things that an average safety does right? well minus the extreme flex off after giving up a 15 yard gain.

His speed his speed hasn't allowed him to catch a cold this year. I see him standing around piles and giving up on pursuit. He had 1 good and 1 decent game this year. Forget the stats and watch the game. Forget your man crush based on his looks and watch him play.

Um, what? Average safeties do this?

Not watching other NFL games, are you?

Here's the problem with Landry:

He's not enough of a difference maker at this point (not totally his fault, but he does find himself WAY out of position sometimes) to warrant a huge salary. With him being a free agent this year, there's a combination of issues in resigning him.

From the team perspective: His cost far outweighs his value due to his position and the fact that he doesn't dominate games. The money it would take to resign him could go into a couple offensive linemen.

From his perspective: We stink, and we're still a few years away.

My guess is Landry will not be a Redskin next year, and that's probably good for everybody, including Landry.

Exactly. He seems to get out of position often during games, which is why he is "standing around piles" and not making tackles himself. Heck if I were him THIS YEAR I might be purposively doing the same thing trying to protect myself so I could collect the big pay day. Someone will pay him. Just hope it is not us.

Actually, Dawan was only drafted 1 year ahead of LaRon.

But they are different molds.

Brian Billick, who coached Dawaan for 3 years, said it best during the Rams game...

"I've coached Dawan and I've watched film on LaRon. Dawan is a thinker, he makes plays by knowing what the offense is gonna do. LaRon is a different animal. The guy is just a player. A beast."

Yes, it would appear they are from two different molds.

One makes game-changing plays, the other hits hard.

If you want to say that DaWan is only better because of the defense he plays for, just look at other safeties around the league then. Even safeties on terrible defenses are making big plays. 22 NFL safeties had 3 or more interceptions last year, something LaRon has never done in his career.

Landry isn't a bad player, but he's been severely overrated by some. He is not a playmaker, which is what you expect from a safety drafted in the top 10. Last year was the best he has ever played in his career, and even then he had only 2 turnovers in 9 games. Until he starts forcing turnovers and making big plays with some regularity, he will never be a top-level safety.

Yes, it would appear they are from two different molds.

One makes game-changing plays, the other hits hard.

If you want to say that DaWan is only better because of the defense he plays for, just look at other safeties around the league then. Even safeties on terrible defenses are making big plays. 22 NFL safeties had 3 or more interceptions last year, something LaRon has never done in his career.

Landry isn't a bad player, but he's been severely overrated by some. He is not a playmaker, which is what you expect from a safety drafted in the top 10. Last year was the best he has ever played in his career, and even then he had only 2 turnovers in 9 games. Until he starts forcing turnovers and making big plays with some regularity, he will never be a top-level safety.

Landry makes plays that change games. Green Bay last season come to mind. This season he has made plays that could have big results had our offense been competent. DaWan is lucky he hasn't played for a team as sorry as ours.

Archived