Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

Can you tell me when I said that?

That's not okay. Which is why I said he didn't play very well against the Bills.

That's still not a problem covering the receiver.

Well you said that in post 499. Just scroll to the top of the page.

If you can't recognize the play, you are going to be out of position which is what 3/4 of the gripes in this thread have been about. It is a chronic issue with Landry. He isn't super smart as Gibbs would say.

Well you said that in post 499. Just scroll to the top of the page.

If you can't recognize the play, you are going to be out of position which is what 3/4 of the gripes in this thread have been about. It is a chronic issue with Landry. He isn't super smart as Gibbs would say.

Can you watch it again please.

That wasn't a problem with coverage, that was a problem with play recognition. And yes, that TD was on him, but it wasn't bad coverage.It was bad recognition.

When did I say it was OK???

No, 3/4 of the gripes have been... He poses (True) He can't tackle and goes for kill shot (Was true in 2009, not now) and he can't cover (Was true in 2009, not now). Is he out of position sometimes? Yes. Is that a problem? Yes. Does that mean he is a bum? Absolutely not.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 04:21 PM ----------

I won't lose any sleep if we don't re-sign him. He is becoming injury prone and his immaturity flashes more then his talent. When this team is rid of all Vinny dealings, it will truly be a clean slate.

Yeah, injury prone. That whole 1 injury he had is making him injury prone.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 04:22 PM ----------

Either way, the guy screwed up.

And I acknowledged that.

I won't lose any sleep if we don't re-sign him. He is becoming injury prone and his immaturity flashes more then his talent. When this team is rid of all Vinny dealings, it will truly be a clean slate.

Ok then what do we do? Waste another draft pick on a position we already have one hell of a athlete at? Sign another free agent to a large contract when said player probably wouldn't be able to hold Landrys jock strap?

Landry is not injury prone, he damn near tore his Achilles. He healed up and has been on the field ever since. Please tell me how he is injury prone?

The guy makes mistakes, EVERY player makes mistakes, yet Skins fans expect players to be perfect ALL the time.

I'm so sick of fans wanting to get rid of what young talented players we have, Landry Orakpo Hall etc. Sure let's get rid of all those guys and in turn create even more holes to fill. We don't need a QB. We don't need OLine. We need to waste more money/picks on positions we already have filled. Give me a break. I'm so glad fans don't have ANY say in personnel decisions.

Ok then what do we do? Waste another draft pick on a position we already have one hell of a athlete at? Sign another free agent to a large contract when said player probably wouldn't be able to hold Landrys jock strap?

Landry is not injury prone, he damn near tore his Achilles. He healed up and has been on the field ever since. Please tell me how he is injury prone?

The guy makes mistakes, EVERY player makes mistakes, yet Skins fans expect players to be perfect ALL the time.

I'm so sick of fans wanting to get rid of what young talented players we have, Landry Orakpo Hall etc. Sure let's get rid of all those guys and in turn create even more holes to fill. We don't need a QB. We don't need OLine. We need to waste more money/picks on positions we already have filled. Give me a break. I'm so glad fans don't have ANY say in personnel decisions.

Another person with sense. Thank you for making your way to this thread

Another person with sense. Thank you for making your way to this thread

I can tell you're 17, because when I was that age (I'm not that much older now, and I still have a ton of learning to do) I thought that anyone that disagreed with me lacked sense, too. You learn that sometimes it really is just a difference of opinion.

I can tell you're 17, because when I was that age (I'm not that much older now, and I still have a ton of learning to do) I thought that anyone that disagreed with me lacked sense, too. You learn that sometimes it really is just a difference of opinion.

Somethings are fact, though.

Landry can tackle and cover.

But I understand your stance. You think LL is good, but you don't want to re-sign him. Although he is completely affordable.

You're not wanna of the posters I can't stand.

I dislike the posters who make up things that "WERE" true and acts like they still are true.

Somethings are fact, though.

Landry can tackle and cover.

So can anyone else who made it to the NFL.

But I understand your stance. You think LL is good, but you don't want to re-sign him. Although he is completely affordable.

Correct. If we can REALLY resign him, and get EVERY piece with need in the next two years without having his contract be an issue, I wouldn't be completely against it. But, I think the best overall move for both Landry AND the Redskins would be to part. *shrug*

So can anyone else who made it to the NFL.

Correct. If we can REALLY resign him, and get EVERY piece with need in the next two years without having his contract be an issue, I wouldn't be completely against it. But, I think the best overall move for both Landry AND the Redskins would be to part. *shrug*

You know what I meant, KDawg.

He tackles at an all pro level.

He has shown this year and somewhat last, he is not a liability in coverage, and in fact, he is quite good.

Landry is not doing enough thus far to win himself that big contract. I can't see the FO making that commitment based on his performances this season. He needs to be playing great football to earn that.

Looks to me like he's getting the tag as things stands, as it is unlikely the FO just let him walk.

Once he's tagged, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to be traded though, imo.

Landry is not doing enough thus far to win himself that big contract. I can't see the FO making that commitment based on his performances this season. He needs to be playing great football to earn that.

Looks to me like he's getting the tag as things stands' date=' as it is unlikely the FO just let him walk.

Once he's tagged, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to be traded though, imo.[/quote']

Great that they don't make that decision after 5 games.

Not a fan. The guy is a showboat after every opposition first down. Don't set the market with him, pay him an average salary (for an average player) or let him walk.

I'm tired of this guy.

You want to get rid of him for celebrating? Its not like he is T.O. The dude works hard and he plays hard, and plays smart. Can you forgive him his goofy behavior?

i have to throw my two cents into this. Landry is NOT the problem with the defense. The team as a whole has been playing like **** therefore it's easy to pick out players with poor performances and drudge up some dumb old thread to make your points. The defense as a whole is much better than it was last year and that's something to hang your hat on. Landry does showboat and make some mistakes here and there but overall he makes the defense MUCH better when he's healthy and in the game. Do you remember what happened last year against Houston? The idea of having Doughty play the season out or even next season as a starter is sickening.

That's all I'm going to say because I think they rest has been covered in this 13 pages of back and forth arguing. When the skins start winning again, whenever the hell that is, this entire thread will be forgotten. Like it was until a few days ago.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 12:07 AM ----------

Maybe it it time to start working Dejon Gomes into the mix and see what he can do.

Btw, I'm all in favor of this only because I'd love to see what the younger players can do. What's his natural position? Does he play the same position as Landry or Otogwe who hasn't exactly lived up to expectations.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but i was listening to Sirius with Tim and Pat yesterday and they had one of the Bills players on, i forget who. They asked him about the Redskins D which is "loaded with talent". The guy replied basically with "They have two great pass rushers which makes them not need to send so many guys on the blitz every down. Then there is London Fletcher who is probably the best in the league at his position. They have two pretty aggressive safeties, and we tried to take advantage of that." Then Tim came on to say "I noticed Fletcher on on of the TD plays drop into coverage with (i forget the player's name), and he expected Landry to come with him and then we he saw Landry had passed the LOS you could see the frustration on his face."

I'm not sure how anyone could argue that Landry is a disciplined player. He's not. At all.

Say what you want about Doughty (and believe me, I have) but he can play the position and at least be in the vacinity of the play. He doesn't bite on playaction where he crosses the LOS. Undisciplined play is the same as getting burned.

When teams watch film, if a guy bites on a playfake and gets beat, that's still considered getting burned... You don't have to lose a foot race to get burned.

Landry is a freak athlete, but he doesn't have Sean Taylor behind him covering ground. He has a good safety in OJ Atogwe. Atogwe is a lot different than 21. 21 was All World... he had some discipline problems as well on the field, but he made up for it. I have yet to see Landry really make up for mistakes and they hurt us.

I realize my opinion is unpopular, and so be it. He's a talented football player that has a mean streak that I love. But his lack of on-field discipline is damning for him.

Hes way more disciplined than he used to be. In his absence Reed Doughty was missing tackles and taking horrible angles on plays (week 1 NYG). I think he was caught out of positon by the Giants slow TE on a big pass play as well.

LaRon Landry with the help of Mike Shanahan is one of the best SS in the NFL today. Coach isn't asking him to be 30 yds deep and giving him a plethora of coverage responsibilities hes actually utilizing him where he thrives most.

Several are making it seem like hes incapable of making mistakes so as a result they magnify his shortcomings. He hasn't bit on ever play fake like some make it seem. Last years Detroit game he was in coverage and was fine. He was in coverage against Green Bay when he caught his pick. He has been coverage several times this year and been fine.

Mike and Jim have committed to him and hes devoted to their system and way of doing things. I can't wait until he gets his contract extension. LaRon, Brian, Ryan and maybe Jarvis are here to build around.

If our offense could capitalize off of the great things LaRon, Brian, and Ryan did the world would be a better place in Redskins land

Hail!

EDIT* Also, there seems to be this unwritten rule of lets see whats behind door 2 & 3 here with allot of our fans. Sometimes I can't blame you given the history of crap we have dealt with from old has beens here for the money. However, just because you don't "like" a player the player that behind him may not automatically be as efficient.

I remember the cries for cutting Carlos Rogers just because Kevin Barnes showed flashes here and there. Well here it is a year later Kevin Barnes is horrible.

I remember the cries about Doughty being one of the best Safeties in the NFL. Well given opportunities to produce in this new system he looks well below average. Now there is the Gomes cries. Lets see what Gomes has got? hmm, really guys? I think we should calm down. Nothing is wrong with having one of the better defensive players on your team. No he's not perfect and no he's not Sean Taylor. I upped a thread here before the season that showcased the attacks SEan Taylor got when he was alive here. Same old criticisms.

Bruce runs the show

I'm not sure how anyone could argue that Landry is a disciplined player. He's not. At all.

Say what you want about Doughty (and believe me, I have) but he can play the position and at least be in the vacinity of the play. He doesn't bite on playaction where he crosses the LOS. Undisciplined play is the same as getting burned.

When teams watch film, if a guy bites on a playfake and gets beat, that's still considered getting burned... You don't have to lose a foot race to get burned.

Landry is a freak athlete, but he doesn't have Sean Taylor behind him covering ground. He has a good safety in OJ Atogwe. Atogwe is a lot different than 21. 21 was All World... he had some discipline problems as well on the field, but he made up for it. I have yet to see Landry really make up for mistakes and they hurt us.

I realize my opinion is unpopular, and so be it. He's a talented football player that has a mean streak that I love. But his lack of on-field discipline is damning for him.

I agree with you for the most part.

Although I'm not sure we can let him walk after this year because we have no legitimate options to replace him with. Reed is a good guy to have on the team in a small role, but the thought of starting him for 16 games makes me cringe. A couple years ago I would have said Moore or Horton, but those guys didn't work out at all. They had less discipline than Doughty, and nowhere near the athleticism of Landry, I don't think Horton is even in the NFL anymore.

Archived