Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

I have an admitted bias against Landry.

I hated the pick the moment it was made. It's not fair to him I know but I was disgusted that we just blew the 6th pick in the draft on a second safety and the third secondary player we've drafted in the top 10 in 4 seasons.

Unfortunatley, Landry hasn't done anything to change my opinion. His type of play (can't cover/glorified linebacker) doesn't warrent a top 10 pick. It only merits a first round choice if at least he could be a playmaker and force turnovers (like another notorious limited safety Roy Williams). But he doesn't do that.

So we have a one dimensional player who doesn't force turnovers. This then gets compounded with his poor tackling, poor angles and most frustrating his continued insistance to pose and flex. The other thing that has been noted and I saw it myself on Sunday, he half asses it alot. He pulls up when the play appears to be away from him.

Bottom line, I don't like him. I doubt I ever will (though he got in my good graces for a short while after knocking Vick out). I think we can spend that money much better and hopefully he walks after this season. He won't be missed.

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but as most of you know, I don't give a damn.;)

I am tired of Landry. This guy has been so overrated by 'skins fans. Yeah, the "potential" is there for him to be a top safety, but the guy for one reason or the other can't and might not ever meet that "potential."

Now I know he's made some spectacular plays here and there, but he's also a bonehead whether it be going for the highlight tackle and whiffing, getting beat in coverage, costly penalties, over-pursuing plays because of going for the aforementioned highlight tackle and finally injuries.

Former great Redskins defensive coordinaot Richie Petitbon recently said in an interview that he doesn't care how good a player may be, but if he's injured a lot he doen't want them on his defense. (Paraphrasing of course)

Again, I know he's made the occasional play that makes you say "Wow!" but he is not consistent enough IMO to warrant the praise he gets from 'skins fans and he certainly isn't on the field to warrant that praise either.

Laron Landry-More hype (and muscles) than substance.

Let's not forget his posturing and preening after a team gets a first down on a short-yardage play.

Landry makes plays that change games. Green Bay last season come to mind. This season he has made plays that could have big results had our offense been competent. DaWan is lucky he hasn't played for a team as sorry as ours.

Green Bay was the best game he has played in years, probably his best game ever. I was hoping that would be the Landry that we would see for the rest of his career.

What plays has he made this year? One forced fumble and a big hit on a scrub wide receiver who already dropped the pass?

These examples you guys are bringing up are really nothing too special. I mean my god, Kurt Coleman had 3 picks in a game against us this year. That guy is a 7th round scrub. No-name players all over the league are making more plays than Landry on a regular basis.

LaRon has more raw talent than 95% of the safeties in the league, but he has no idea how to use it. He's like a shark; he knows how to kill...and that's about it.

Landry makes plays that change games. Green Bay last season come to mind. This season he has made plays that could have big results had our offense been competent. DaWan is lucky he hasn't played for a team as sorry as ours.

You keep convincing yourself. It's okay though, plenty of people have a mancrush on Landry due to his physique and his posing after tackling a guy 25 yards downfield. Because his "impact" plays are far and few between for a guy playing a position that allows him to make plenty of impact plays and there is no other explanation as to why his followers can explain their relentless defense of him other then the aforementioned physique and posing.

One of the biggest (of many) mistakes this organization has made is not re-signing Ryan Clark and drafting Mr. Olympia wannabe. That pick could've been used in an actual area of need.

Also, his apologists are running out of excuses because he's now playing his "natural position."

Laron does makes plays that change games. He misses tackles (being stiff armed in the dirt on sunday was embarrassing). He tried to load up for the home run when he just needed a single and whiffed. He takes gambles and cheats and then gets burned. I'd rather have his thinking brother than the freelancer. This is why Antonio Pierce was such a good linebacker and Lavar was horrible. AP played in the scheme of the D where Lavar would deliver a highlight hit a game but also get caught out of position and give up plays all game long. Same with D-Hall, sure he is good for a few picks a year and maybe even a TD. But how many does he give up? I would much rather have a slower, non jumping RD in there being where he is supposed to be than Laron. Is it a coincidence that the D has tanked since Laron is back in? Laron is definition of being overrated.

this will forever be my fav Landry clip of all time. it just gets no better then this:

That is one of the most serious cases of ownage from a RB on a defensive player in years. I'm surprised that it happened though, being that Landry is supposed to be a "beast."

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 10:41 AM ----------

Landry will be an FA after this year, so we only have 9 more games of flexing, showboating, taunting, and hotdogging.

You forgot missed tackles because his head was down and he was going for the kill shot. You also forgot getting outrun by the ball carrier because of a bad angle. Oh yeah and you forgot to add seeing the back of his jersey because he can't cover for ****. If I forgot anything please feel free to add to it.

couldn't agree anymore with the OP on this, LL has the ability (at least we think) to be a top Safety in the NFL, but his inability to wrap up a would be tackle, getting himself out of place because he over ran or made a bad angle on the runner and his total lack of knowledge of the score and his continued celebrating (when he actually does make a good play) when we are down and not in the game.

Stats lie people, film doesn't..LL makes plays when it doesn't matter..sort of like the 3 run Home Run in baseball when your team is down by 7 or more runs in the 9th inning....it doesn't matter, make that play when it does matter..imo this team would be better without players like D.Hall, Landry...

It baffles me how many Skins fans actually think that LL and Orakpo are beasts at their positions...if these 2 were on other teams we'd all be saying this, decent but nothing to write home about. There isn't 1 play maker on the Defensive side of the ball on a normal basis...situational yes, not consistent though

couldn't agree anymore with the OP on this, LL has the ability (at least we think) to be a top Safety in the NFL, but his inability to wrap up a would be tackle, getting himself out of place because he over ran or made a bad angle on the runner and his total lack of knowledge of the score and his continued celebrating (when he actually does make a good play) when we are down and not in the game.

Stats lie people, film doesn't..LL makes plays when it doesn't matter..sort of like the 3 run Home Run in baseball when your team is down by 7 or more runs in the 9th inning....it doesn't matter, make that play when it does matter..imo this team would be better without players like D.Hall, Landry...

It baffles me how many Skins fans actually think that LL and Orakpo are beasts at their positions...if these 2 were on other teams we'd all be saying this, decent but nothing to write home about. There isn't 1 play maker on the Defensive side of the ball on a normal basis...situational yes, not consistent though

you cannot be ****ing serious.. im to the point where im about done with idiots on this site saying **** like this..

So who would you rather have?

Horton?

Doughty?

For the money Landry is going to cost to resign? Sure. You won't get as many freak hits/athletic plays, you also won't get as many blown tackles or assignments... So they are slightly worse, for a much better contract. Not sure why people view that as bad. Landry would be great... if we had the trenches and QB spot in order. We don't. He's a luxury. A luxury that is expendable at this point.

You're right, film doesn't lie. And that's why Matt Bowen, who played the game and does nothing but watch film, said he was the best SS in the game.

And that's why John Keim has named him a defensive stud TWICE this year after watching film. Rich Campbell also gave him 2 game balls after watching film.

Face it, you don't know what you're talking about.

You have literally no proof of anything you're saying.

Missed tackles? Well last year he had 90 (in 8 games)tackles, and he had no more than 10. But Rocky McIntosh did.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/broken-tackles-2010

Face the facts. Since he was moved to the SS spot, he's been one of the best in the league.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 02:52 PM ----------

That was a long time ago.

And so was that video of Brandon Jacobs trucking him.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 02:54 PM ----------

That is one of the most serious cases of ownage from a RB on a defensive player in years. I'm surprised that it happened though, being that Landry is supposed to be a "beast."

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 10:41 AM ----------

You forgot missed tackles because his head was down and he was going for the kill shot. You also forgot getting outrun by the ball carrier because of a bad angle. Oh yeah and you forgot to add seeing the back of his jersey because he can't cover for ****. If I forgot anything please feel free to add to it.

Yeah, you forgot to add that you don't know what you're talking about.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 02:56 PM ----------

this will forever be my fav Landry clip of all time. it just gets no better then this:

What about this?

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwS3gdgTW4&feature=related

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 03:07 PM ----------

I also find it funny that still no one has given an example of his coverage being bad.

Can you think of a time this year where he was burned? No. Because he hasn't been this year.

When Landry is good, he's real good. When he's bad, he's real bad. He's the Rex Grossman of safeties. Except, well, better.

That was the case in 2009. Well, no, he was "Real bad" every game that year.

But can you think of a game he was bad in this year or last?

Yes, last year he gave up that TD to Jax, but that was 1 play. Just like the TD on Sunday.

He has been good all year, just not against Buffalo. And he wasn't BAD. Against the Bills, he just wasn't very good.

People are always talking about him giving up on plays, which is the CRAZIEST thing I've ever heard in this argument.

He and Fletch NEVER give up on a play.

Look at this play. This is seriously nuts.

Landry gets BLOWN UP and gets right back up and keeps pursuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaFpAwxDng

The stuff that I hate the most is people making stuff up.

You say DeAngelo Hall can't cover, and even though I think that is some what false, you can think of examples from this year where he got abused.

Same for Josh Wilson

Same for Barnes

Same for Doughty

Think your hardest of a time this year where he was burnt.

You can't. Because so far this year and last year...He has improved DRASTICALLY.

I guess I still don't understand why most people here hate him.

I get that he runs his mouth, often times at points in the game that he shouldn't, but the guy is passionate. He also gets inside players heads. Steve Smiths Alligator arms is an example, same with the hit on the Dallas WR. These guys know he's back there waiting to throw a big hit on them. I hate "his fans are annointing him a HOF ticket". No one with any brain is saying that , and I'm pretty sure you guys who are saying anyone who doesn't hate LL is, can't pull a quote and prove it.

He is one of the few players who is playing decently this season. I understand we need a QB, and some OL help, but that doesn't mean throwing away positions we already have set. If he wants crazy money, then yes we can debate him leaving then, but we don't know anything about the contract situation now. Starting over with a new guy, or a guy like Doughty (who I like as a player, but not as a starter) is clearly regressing us as a team.

Landry is thrown a ton of blame by fans, much of it not deserved at all. Fletcher got on his case, which he should do. Fletcher would do that to ANYONE on the team, because he is the veteran in the locker room. He'd do the same to Deangelo, or OJ even. Maybe we should be talking about how OJ shouldn't have even played against the Bills, because he clearly wasn't healthy, and looking at him attempting to tackle was clear evidence for it.

Bottom line is, right now, he is the best we have, and in the top half of the league for SS, throwing him to the curb before even attempting to work out a contract with him is stupid, and just adds another position to worry about in the off-season. It is about the dumbest logic I have ever heard here. "We have needs, lets throw some of our best guys to the curb to get a need over here, and create another need here with some unproven players".

I guess I still don't understand why most people here hate him.

I get that he runs his mouth, often times at points in the game that he shouldn't, but the guy is passionate. He also gets inside players heads. Steve Smiths Alligator arms is an example, same with the hit on the Dallas WR. These guys know he's back there waiting to throw a big hit on them. I hate "his fans are annointing him a HOF ticket". No one with any brain is saying that , and I'm pretty sure you guys who are saying anyone who doesn't hate LL is, can't pull a quote and prove it.

He is one of the few players who is playing decently this season. I understand we need a QB, and some OL help, but that doesn't mean throwing away positions we already have set. If he wants crazy money, then yes we can debate him leaving then, but we don't know anything about the contract situation now. Starting over with a new guy, or a guy like Doughty (who I like as a player, but not as a starter) is clearly regressing us as a team.

Landry is thrown a ton of blame by fans, much of it not deserved at all. Fletcher got on his case, which he should do. Fletcher would do that to ANYONE on the team, because he is the veteran in the locker room. He'd do the same to Deangelo, or OJ even. Maybe we should be talking about how OJ shouldn't have even played against the Bills, because he clearly wasn't healthy, and looking at him attempting to tackle was clear evidence for it.

Bottom line is, right now, he is the best we have, and in the top half of the league for SS, throwing him to the curb before even attempting to work out a contract with him is stupid, and just adds another position to worry about in the off-season. It is about the dumbest logic I have ever heard here. "We have needs, lets throw some of our best guys to the curb to get a need over here, and create another need here with some unproven players".

What are you doing in this thread?

You have sense, that is not popular around here.

Archived