Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

Sad that he is hurt and not able to play, but there is no need in kicking the guy while he is down. He and Orakpo are the best players on the Redskins defense.

Dude where have you been , No way that laydown Landry and Orakpo are the best we have on defense .....Hands down our best player on defense is #59 London Fletcher and second is Ryan Kerrigan Orakpo is third but he needs to quit over running the play. Landry is a quitter everytime we play dallas he says hes hurt Trade him and cut D hall and get players that have heart and want to play instead of finding reasons they cant play. Trade Cooley and Davis too the lack of desire is there for both of them too. Im tired of losing 20 years of failure is way to long....Redskins are the worst team in football it shows every sunday. Dont say the colts because they r tanking the season Theres not one team in the NFL that the skins could play now and you could say and believe (we will win this one) They look like the walking dead week in week out. A perfect record since the bye WINLESS. What a shame.3-13

Dude where have you been , No way that laydown Landry and Orakpo are the best we have on defense .....Hands down our best player on defense is #59 London Fletcher and second is Ryan Kerrigan Orakpo is third but he needs to quit over running the play. Landry is a quitter everytime we play dallas he says hes hurt Trade him and cut D hall and get players that have heart and want to play instead of finding reasons they cant play. Trade Cooley and Davis too the lack of desire is there for both of them too. Im tired of losing 20 years of failure is way to long....Redskins are the worst team in football it shows every sunday. Dont say the colts because they r tanking the season Theres not one team in the NFL that the skins could play now and you could say and believe (we will win this one) They look like the walking dead week in week out. A perfect record since the bye WINLESS. What a shame.3-13

I suggest you check the dates of posts your are responding to. And yes I missed on Fletcher and admitted such later in the thread. And Dude I have been here, right here on ES, where have you been?

And this mess......oh boy I should have skipped the whole post.

=Landry is a quitter everytime we play dallas he says hes hurt Trade him and cut D hall and get players that have heart and want to play instead of finding reasons they cant play. Trade Cooley and Davis too the lack of desire is there for both of them too.

I love all the hate for Landry. It's so stupid. The guy is a physical freak and before his injury last year was playing at an elite level. I believe he is still hampered by it this year and that's why he hasn't been as effective. The guy is great around the line of scrimmage. People ***** and moan because he flexes after a tackle, awww get over it. He. Plays with more emotion than 90% of players on the field. It would be stupid to not resign him. We have too many holes to let our homegrown talent walk. People cry about never developing our own players and then want to get rid of what we have. Lol. Gomes will make a great rotation with him. We can't afford to be searching for another SS when we have obvious needs elsewhere.

I love all the hate for Landry. It's so stupid. The guy is a physical freak and before his injury last year was playing at an elite level. I believe he is still hampered by it this year and that's why he hasn't been as effective. The guy is great around the line of scrimmage. People ***** and moan because he flexes after a tackle, awww get over it. He. Plays with more emotion than 90% of players on the field. It would be stupid to not resign him. We have too many holes to let our homegrown talent walk. People cry about never developing our own players and then want to get rid of what we have. Lol. Gomes will make a great rotation with him. We can't afford to be searching for another SS when we have obvious needs elsewhere.

So this makes a full year and a half that he's hasn't been able to get healthy. Not exactly who I want to throw a boat load of cash at....

• 2 months later...

If he can't stay healthy, he can't contribute.

I just do not see Allen paying this guy what he thinks he is worth. 4 years 26M is what I saw on another website as a contract prediction. For a guy that has missed 15 of the last 32 games, with a nagging injury that he will not get surgery for... It just does not compute.

PFF just graded Landry out as the best SS in the NFC East this past year, despite injury limitations.

For a team lacking playmakers, it seems like a luxury to not exercise our ability to retain short term control over one when healthy.

No reason to cut off our nose to spite our face because he's not quite the player we hoped.

PFF just graded Landry out as the best SS in the NFC East this past year, despite injury limitations.

For a team lacking playmakers, it seems like a luxury to not exercise our ability to retain short term control over one when healthy.

No reason to cut off our nose to spite our face because he's not quite the player we hoped.

It doesn't matter what kind of player he is if he's always on the bench.

Remember that Landry not playing means Reed Doughty IS playing.

You want that situation.. or would you rather have an upgrade over Reed that will stay on the field?

I know my answer.

If I guy with shocking fundamental tackling ability, who often takes piss poor angles and misses his man completely but comes up with some big highlight reel hits is the best SS in his division; then that's a sad indictment of the other teams SS.

Hail.

It doesn't matter what kind of player he is if he's always on the bench.

Remember that Landry not playing means Reed Doughty IS playing.

You want that situation.. or would you rather have an upgrade over Reed that will stay on the field?

I know my answer.

It will actually mean Gomes is playing, but good emotional hyperbole.

If you can determine today that he will never be healthy again, sure, you let him walk.

But neither you, nor any doctor in the world can say that.

A one year deal allows you to continue to evaluate his health. If he refuses a one year deal, franchise him. $6.2 MM is a very reasonable gamble for a player with Landry's potential.

Or you can impetuously draw a line in the sand today and hope he stays injured.

The lack of loyalty here is upsetting to me. Granted, I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who still plays so I'm a bit biased, but I also understand that players aren't just robots who can just trot out to entertain you every week without injury. That's to the people that seem to fault Landry for his ONE nagging injury. An injury that has lingered because he's tried everything to get back on the field to help OUR team. He has done nothing but continue to put his body on the line for our team, for better or for worse, and to bail on him because of it shows a lack of character in my opinion. Yeah it's a business but let the FO handle that. Fans are supposed to have their players backs. If it gets to the point that Landry has to be let go because of injury, let Allen make that call. Until then, I'm gonna support the player that's been limping around just so he can entertain me on Sundays.

To those that have been trying to downplay Landry's value in this thread, I'll simply say that I strongly disagree. His tackling isn't as bad, nor are his angles or coverage. He gets beat from time to time just like the best in the league. I STUDY the top defensive players all the time. Troy P, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, Patrick Willis; none of them are these perfect androids our fans like to believe. I've seen them all miss tackles, over pursue, give up a play. That's because there are world class athletes on the other side of the ball, too. The difference between those guys and an average player is that those guys make plays, many times game changing. That is the same type of player Landry is in my opinion. The INTs, the forced fumbles, the big hits- they make a difference. We haven't seen as much, but that hoes back to him not being at 100% trying to play for his team and the fans. He still has strong value on this defense/team. He just needs to get better this off season. That's the biggest obstacle.

The lack of loyalty here is upsetting to me.
I have zero loyalty to Laron Landry. I don't know him, don't know if he's a great guy or a world class butthole. All I care about is how he fits into the team getting more wins. That's it. I root for the uniform.
That's to the people that seem to fault Landry for his ONE nagging injury. An injury that has lingered because he's tried everything to get back on the field to help OUR team.
First off, I have no idea if he's tried everything. I have no idea if he embraces his rehab 100%, but I'll assume that he does, and that he's a professional in all aspects. But from a contract issue, if he thinks he's worth guaranteed money on a 4 year deal, he's just not. There is too much up in the air. I'm all for keeping the guy on the team, because I think he makes the team better...when healthy of course. But that's the point. Best for the team will be a one year deal, and I have a feeling that is what the team will offer. It isn't an insulting low ball 4 year deal, and it isn't the moon which he will (and should) try to get. I'm all for him trying to get the best contract for himself. I just don't think the Redskins should pay a contract with a bunch of guaranteed money to a guy that simply can't stay on the field right now.

I have zero loyalty to Laron Landry. I don't know him, don't know if he's a great guy or a world class butthole. All I care about is how he fits into the team getting more wins. That's it. I root for the uniform.

First off, I have no idea if he's tried everything. I have no idea if he embraces his rehab 100%, but I'll assume that he does, and that he's a professional in all aspects. But from a contract issue, if he thinks he's worth guaranteed money on a 4 year deal, he's just not. There is too much up in the air. I'm all for keeping the guy on the team, because I think he makes the team better...when healthy of course. But that's the point. Best for the team will be a one year deal, and I have a feeling that is what the team will offer. It isn't an insulting low ball 4 year deal, and it isn't the moon which he will (and should) try to get. I'm all for him trying to get the best contract for himself. I just don't think the Redskins should pay a contract with a bunch of guaranteed money to a guy that simply can't stay on the field right now.

My thoughts exactly. As soon as this season was over, he should have opted for the surgery so that he could have been 100% by summer 2012.

He's too good to just let him walk, but he's too injured to offer all guaranteed money. Offer him a three year deal for $20M. $6M guaranteed this year, $1M 2013 and 2014. Divide the remaining $12M as roster bonus of $6M for the 2013 and $6M for the 2014 season. If he can't stay healthy then cut him after this year or trade him.

He's too good to just let him walk, but he's too injured to offer all guaranteed money. Offer him a three year deal for $20M. $6M guaranteed this year, $1M 2013 and 2014. Divide the remaining $12M as roster bonus of $6M for the 2013 and $6M for the 2014 season. If he can't stay healthy then cut him after this year or trade him.

We don't even need to offer him that much.

I can understand your stance. I'm a bit more empathetic to the actual players, and I admit that probably comes from me being a player myself. As long as a player has on our uniform, and until he gives me a reason not to(like Haynesworth), I will supprt him. Especially when the issue is a nagging injury that has lingered because the player has been axious to get back out there and help his teammates. I know that feeling, and sometimes you don't make the best choice- like surgery- but it doesn't come from ill will. He is just trying to get back for his team and us fans. I can respect that, and I just hope that going forward he can put aside those feelings and do what's best for the long term.

This has nothing to do with loyalty.

This has to do with smart business decisions based upon limited resources.

Being a fan has a lot to do with loyalty in my opinion. We aren't GMs. It's not our job to be cut throat businessmen. I'm not saying that I don't understand you all's sentiment. If Landry can't heal up, he will have to be let go by the FO. I just think that he should get support from the fans until then since afterall, the injury has lingered so long because he's been rushing himself to get back out there to help his teammates and to entertain US.

We seem to hate him when he doesn't play and love him when he plays. He was one of our leading tacklers on D and I'd give him benefit of the doubt. Lets not pretend Landry is taking up a precious roster spot that we could use on another all pro SS and I thought we have enough cap space to tag him for another year.

Landry despite his swagger, is one of our few playermakers on D, cause last time I checked, we do not have many on this team. We chuck him out now, who are we depending on Gomes or a draft pick this year or Doughty!

Lets wait this out and give him time. We have time, money and space for him. Lets not create another unnecessary.

Archived