Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

Landry and Orakpo are each largely overhyped players right now. Both have tremendous physical assets that few players in the league can match but neither has actually attained elite status. Landry looked to be on the right path last year but for him the biggest question mark is going to be whether or not he can maintain that kind of effort over the long haul. A lot of people like to drum up the fact that people had similar questions about Sean Taylor's development during the 2006 season but these are truly two different kinds of players and two different kinds of people we're talking about. They do not compare as well as many of us would like them to.

As for Orakpo, he's a good pass-rusher but his repertoire of moves and his command of leverage is more limited than it ought to be for a guy with his talent. He gets defeated time and time again by that little hook around the neck that we have to accept is not going to get called far more often than not. It happened all last season and at least a few more times in the preseason that I noticed. Great pass-rushers need to be able to overcome that. My gut feeling based on the little of him I have seen is that Kerrigan might actually wind up being the best pass-rusher on the team, although I doubt the stat line will fully bear that out this year.

Don't get me wrong in all of this, I like both Landry and Orakpo. I just want people to be realistic about their limitations and the question marks surrounding them.

A reminder of what? We've been beaten by the Giants 9 out of the last 10. F Brandon Jacobs and his whinning about LaRon being the bully instead of being bullied around.

well... 1) Landry got trucked over by Jacobs... 2) Landry shoved him and got a 15 yard penalty .. 3) Landry almost got another 15 yarder on the same play...

so... he gets trucked.. gives up yards.. then goes out of control and gets a 15 yard personal foul and almost another one.

i'm just tired of everyone acting like he's the 2nd or 3rd best player on our team.. cause he's not.

He could be, he has the potential.. but he has some problems to fix.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 10:03 PM ----------

Landry and Orakpo are each largely overhyped players right now. .

Orakpo is not overhyped. Landry is.

Orakpo has a couple technique problems, but he's a solid player who will shortly be a great player.

Landry is a hot head question mark.

His achillies was near rupturing, which they opted to try alternative treatment rather than surgery.

Why was it near rupturing? Most likley because his tendons have not had a chance to naturally strengthen enough to support his muscle growth.

its not just him either though... achillies and other tendon injuries are on the rise huge in football.

Again why?

Because HGh only stays detectable for a relatively short period of time. Days.

Where as anabolic steroids would remain for months depending on the compound. 4-18 months.

You need a prescription for HGh.. but teams have their own doctors and HGh has legitamite uses for recovering from injury.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 09:45 PM ----------

yeah.. doesnt mean i have to be all over Landry's jock.

I personally think it would be a really bad mistake to extend Landry to some big contract next season.

Thanks for the inaccurate info and labeling LaRon. FYI..HGH has a half life of 3 hours but there are protein markers, and trace markers in blood that can detect longterm use. Steroids can leave your system in as little as 4 days (clenbuterol) and can last as long as 18 months (nandrolone). Nobody (even gym meatheads use steroids anymore) unless they have an IQ of less than 70. To suggest that team doctors would Rx HGH to their players to aid in healing is laughable.

C'mon man it's ok to like your team and it's players even if you're envious of them.

Orakpo is not overhyped. Landry is.

Orakpo has a couple technique problems, but he's a solid player who will shortly be a great player.

Landry is a hot head question mark.

Orakpo is overhyped inasmuch as many Skins fans (among others) already consider him to be great. You clearly agree with me that he's not quite there yet, though. I am admittedly much less wary of him than I am of Landry because Orakpo will be a pretty good player even if he doesn't improve. Landry still has some potential to bust out completely, although that potential is much lower now than where I would have placed it a year ago.

This isn't just about his injury. This is something I've felt for some time now. He's over-rated in my eyes and please don't put him in the same category as 'Rak or Fletcher for that matter.

I can't say that I disagree. I have felt the same way as you for some time as weill. I don't know how a guy makes it to the NFL level & still needs to be taught how to tackle. Isn't tackling a basic tool for football? Especially on defense? Yeah, I agree. He's overrated.

Once again thanks. I'm well aware of HGH and no... Redskin's doctors and trainers are not Rx'ing hgh to their players.

HAHA! you sound so confident in yourself. do you work for the redskins medical staff. How do you know. Just wait till the commish starts testing for it. More than half the league will be suspended.

I have to agree LL hasn't done anything on a consistent level, except for being injured. If he doesnt perform this year Shannahan should get all he can for him. Tired of seeing him flex his muscles after every play. what a moron. steroids rot your brain.

1. He's missed 8 games in 4 years.

2. This is a contract year for him, can't trade him if he's a FA.

3. You must hate the NFL. At the end of every player there is a player that celebrates

4. Stupid,

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 10:30 PM ----------

HAHA! you sound so confident in yourself. do you work for the redskins medical staff. How do you know. Just wait till the commish starts testing for it. More than half the league will be suspended.

If the NFL would have tested last year then half the league would be suspended. Same goes for MLB, NHL, Tennis, a few in the PGA. HGH is very accessible however it's not coming from the team doctors.

This post is nonsense. Landry has missed EIGHT games in his 4 years. His rookie year he was exceptional playing beside you know who and then in 08 & 09 he was playing 30 yards off of the line which doesn't play to his strengths. The reason he was drafted 6th overall is because he's a menace playing in the box and that's what he was doing last year while playing with a torn achilles and was a NFL Defensive MVP candidate for the first 8 games. LaRon’s health this year is the key to the defense.

You can be tired of LaRon all you want but I'm tired of people that are football illiterate.

You're one of my favorite posters to read Diesel. Smart, very knowledgeable, and well spoken. Your posts are always a edifying and entertaining. This one is one of my favorites. It perfectly sums up my feelings and frustrations reading this board at times.

I hope you stick around and keep posting.

Landry and Orakpo are each largely overhyped players right now. Both have tremendous physical assets that few players in the league can match but neither has actually attained elite status. Landry looked to be on the right path last year but for him the biggest question mark is going to be whether or not he can maintain that kind of effort over the long haul. A lot of people like to drum up the fact that people had similar questions about Sean Taylor's development during the 2006 season but these are truly two different kinds of players and two different kinds of people we're talking about. They do not compare as well as many of us would like them to.

As for Orakpo, he's a good pass-rusher but his repertoire of moves and his command of leverage is more limited than it ought to be for a guy with his talent. He gets defeated time and time again by that little hook around the neck that we have to accept is not going to get called far more often than not. It happened all last season and at least a few more times in the preseason that I noticed. Great pass-rushers need to be able to overcome that. My gut feeling based on the little of him I have seen is that Kerrigan might actually wind up being the best pass-rusher on the team, although I doubt the stat line will fully bear that out this year.

Don't get me wrong in all of this, I like both Landry and Orakpo. I just want people to be realistic about their limitations and the question marks surrounding them.

Fair point and I agree to an extent, but let's realize that these guys (Landry & Orakpo) have done very good on a team devoid of talent. They've managed to shine at times with little help. I like to think they'll get even better when we start putting some serious, legitimate talent around them. This is gonna open up a lot of stuff for both of them.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 10:34 PM ----------

And I just can't believe the overall negativity towards Landry. I've been hard on him in the past (the Zorn years) but after what we saw last year, what's not to like? He was beastly last year and was a huge impact player. He was a damn tackling machine, period.

1. He's missed 8 games in 4 years.

2. This is a contract year for him, can't trade him if he's a FA.

3. You must hate the NFL. At the end of every player there is a player that celebrates

4. Stupid,

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 10:30 PM ----------

If the NFL would have tested last year then half the league would be suspended. Same goes for MLB, NHL, Tennis, a few in the PGA. HGH is very accessible however it's not coming from the team doctors.

First of players dont celebrate at the end of each other. that would be pretty weird, what do they do sniff each others asses like dogs? secondly the real good players dont celebrate after a bad play. Third once again how do you know for a fact that the redskins medical staff is not giving players HGH. Please show me proof otherwise your just another moron with an opinion.

But, please explain to me what you're seeing. The defense as a whole was AWFUL last season.

Landry is athletically gifted, but that doesn't equate to being a great football player. He's good, but not irreplaceable. The vids show very little. They show a guy who gets to the ball carrier, usually after the first down marker. He, obviously, makes some good plays, but more often than not, his plays are average. Making a tackle on a running back 4-5 yards bast the LOS is not really anything special.

What do you expect a safety to do, get tackles for losses on every play? Most safeties are making the tackle 10-15 yards down the field, and you're complaining that Landry is making the tackle at 4-5 yards?

As for the "not irreplaceable" part...well...no

If he was replaceable, Doughty would come in and do just as well. Carlos Rogers was replaceable. LaRon Landry is the definition of irreplaceable.

I have to agree LL hasn't done anything on a consistent level, except for being injured. If he doesnt perform this year Shannahan should get all he can for him. Tired of seeing him flex his muscles after every play. what a moron. steroids rot your brain.

Please explain how missing 8 games over 4 years is "consistently injured"

You're one of my favorite posters to read Diesel. Smart, very knowledgeable, and well spoken. Your posts are always a edifying and entertaining. This one is one of my favorites. It perfectly sums up my feelings and frustrations reading this board at times.

I hope you stick around and keep posting.

Appreciate that Mr. McQueen. Spurtibility (Clark Kellogg) is how I would describe my posting behavior. Sometimes though I get frustrated with the content, negativity, lack of football IQ, etc that I lose interest. I will say that as I peruse posts you are one of a few that I stop and read.

Anyways certain current players like DHall, Landry, Cooley, Banks, etc will always be polarizing which makes for an occasionally interesting dialogue. With Landry and this thread, not so much.

Please explain how missing 8 games over 4 years is "consistently injured"

Pleae explain why everyone loves him so much. he has given up more big plays than make them. he is talented, but not fundementally sound. i started a thread last year stating this same thing. we could have gotten some good draft picks for him.

. Third once again how do you know for a fact that the redskins medical staff is not giving players HGH. Please show me proof otherwise your just another moron with an opinion.

Okay. So how do you know that over half the players in the league would get suspended for using HGH. Show some proof. Also,show some proof,absolute proof,that the the Redskins medical staff is giving players HGH. Show some proof otherwise your'e just another moron with an opinion that also better read the read the rules.

Pleae explain why everyone loves him so much. he has given up more big plays than make them. he is talented, but not fundementally sound. i started a thread last year stating this same thing. we could have gotten some good draft picks for him.

How about you answer his question instead of dodging it and asking your own instead? :)

First of players dont celebrate at the end of each other. that would be pretty weird, what do they do sniff each others asses like dogs? secondly the real good players dont celebrate after a bad play. Third once again how do you know for a fact that the redskins medical staff is not giving players HGH. Please show me proof otherwise your just another moron with an opinion.

Sorry for the typo, You had to know that I meant "at the end of every play". AND yes I am just another moron (not as much as you clearly) with an opinion.

Okay. So how do you know that over half the players in the league would get suspended for using HGH. Show some proof. Also,show some proof,absolute proof,that the the Redskins medical staff is giving players HGH. Show some proof otherwise your'e just another moron with an opinion that also better read the read the rules.

First of all learn how to spell. Now as for me i dont know that, but you seem so confident that im guessing you work for them or have proof.

Archived