Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am So Tired of Laron Landry

KingGibbs

No, you understood. Question answered.

Kind of reminds me of Chris Cooley being classified as a tight end when he had different responsibilities than a typical tight end has, at least in 2005.

Right, back when he was really more of an H-Back for Gibbs.

I don't even think the TS really wants him gone. But, this idea that he's infallible is ridiculous. He's a beast. But he needs to control himself, and unlike GW, Haslett seems to be doing it. Still won't call him ST, but he's way beyond serviceable WITHOUT the stupid penalties. His skill is useless if he continues to make stupid penalties. And with the new rules, he has an opportunity to do more damage to the team than he does benefit.

It's been repeated in here pretty much numerous times. His struggles were his growing pains and in his first year in this defense he was beast, playing injured. The stupid penalties haven't been that bad lately. The only damage he will do is to other players rather than his own team.

Some people in here (not you herrmag) have some madden fantasy draft mindset that we can just drop our starting safety and acquire a new ones in the blink of an eye. This isn't create-a-player where you can just make someone up. Obviously he is on the team for a reason, and I would bet my lunch that it's for the right reasons. So far no one has answered my question as to whom they would want us to get to replace a more than decent safety in LL.

Actually, watching the vids above reminded me of what I hate most about Landry: His reckless tackling that WILL get one of our own players injured eventually, and his dancing around like a jackass after he lays a hit when the ball carrier gained 10+ yards and a first down.

He needs to reel it in a bit. It made ST a better overall player. If he keeps throwing his body around the way he does, he's going to be the most penalized player in the league (given the new rules about receivers inability to defend themselves, whatever the hell that means).

LOL, you're just ridiculous at this point. You say that he's not good, then you're presented with balanced reviews of his stellar play, and you backpedal to say, "Well, no, because, um, he is going to hit one of our players [WTF are you talking about?], he dances, and he sort of maybe might be the most penalized player in the league."

Yeah, good argument there.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 01:28 PM ----------

And for this penalties BS, please refer:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/11/3/1791651/redskins-are-nfl-4th-worst-in-penalties-heres-the-breakdown

Yeah, that's LaRon Landry with one, 1, uno, a single, less than two, just over zero, ONE penalty. For ten yards. For those keeping track at home, there is no ten-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct or a personal foul.

Yes, that's as of November 4. The Eagles game, his last, was November 15.

Sorry, guys making stuff up. Those pesky facts sometimes get in the way. :(

his dancing around like a jackass after he lays a hit when the ball carrier gained 10+ yards and a first down.

He needs to reel it in a bit.

I think LL is a great player but I have to agree with this part of your statement. I can't stand it when ANY player in the NFL does that stuff. It makes them look silly.

Skins Fans are so jaded, I swear. Before his injury last season he was on pace to have a all pro season stat wise and a almost guaranteed probowl spot. Lets not forget that he was used out of position like we have done with so many players before him. You can be tired of him all you want but you arent going to be able to replace him as easily as you think. Not to mention this is the first serious injury he has had since joining the team. Geez. Calm down.

I don't think it's a huge issue. He needs to be big considering the way we use him. He rushes the passer a lot more than most realize and he's taking on offensive linemen and holding his own. Landry has an extremely rugged playing style that generates heavy, heavy contact. In addition to this, Landry also has an enormous playing range. He's gettng involved in the play on almost every single snap and he gets involved on basically every single running play. His body wears as much as a lineman's without the benefit of a rotation plus the need to run the field in coverage. If Landry wasn't so big then he couldn't play the way he does and we couldn't use him like we do nor rely on him in against the run like we did.

Not to speaking to you DG, but it seems like most of the people complaining about Landry in this thread have no memory of last season. How about some youtube videos to refresh us on how spectacular a player he is?

[video=youtube;3yz6DrpwJV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yz6DrpwJV8

[video=youtube;ud3bEgrL1YY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3bEgrL1YY/video]

[video=youtube;LhV1ZZSn4EM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhV1ZZSn4EM

[video=youtube;_f7xlWLkGlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7xlWLkGlE

They're long but very thorough and extremely entertaining. If watching those videos doesn't get your juices flowing then you're either a Cowboys/Eagles/Giants fan or have no pulse.

Actually, watching the vids above reminded me of what I hate most about Landry: His reckless tackling that WILL get one of our own players injured eventually, and his dancing around like a jackass after he lays a hit when the ball carrier gained 10+ yards and a first down.

He needs to reel it in a bit. It made ST a better overall player. If he keeps throwing his body around the way he does, he's going to be the most penalized player in the league (given the new rules about receivers inability to defend themselves, whatever the hell that means).

I watched all those videos, and, frankly, I'm underwhelmed. Refering to last year's defense is probably a mistake. Landry looked bad in most of those clips. Late to the ball. Missing tackles. Over pursuing plays.

Landry is a beast. Plain and simple. Redskins fans just need something to ***** about. The guy was playing stellar football before his injury last season. ANYONE who says he is overrated apparently does not watch the actual games. Does his constant celebrating get on old after a while? I am sure it does to some folks, but not me. The guy can celebrate all he wants as long as he does his damn job. I swear some of you people on here are never going to be happy with anything.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 01:46 PM ----------

I watched all those videos, and, frankly, I'm underwhelmed. Refering to last year's defense is probably a mistake. Landry looked bad in most of those clips. Late to the ball. Missing tackles. Over pursuing plays.

Well lets just say I am not seeing what you are seeing. Landry is a absolute freak when healthy. But hey I'm sure you know best....

I give up. It's like casting pearls before swine.

I had the opportunity to watch an amazing player perform at an all-pro level last year, and I loved it. I'm sorry that some of you missed that; it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Landry is a beast. Plain and simple. Redskins fans just need something to ***** about. The guy was playing stellar football before his injury last season. ANYONE who says he is overrated apparently does not watch the actual games. Does his constant celebrating get on old after a while? I am sure it does to some folks, but not me. The guy can celebrate all he wants as long as he does his damn job. I swear some of you people on here are never going to be happy with anything.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 01:46 PM ----------

Well lets just say I am not seeing what you are seeing. Landry is a absolute freak when healthy. But hey I'm sure you know best....

Well, I like to think I do :)

But, please explain to me what you're seeing. The defense as a whole was AWFUL last season.

Landry is athletically gifted, but that doesn't equate to being a great football player. He's good, but not irreplaceable. The vids show very little. They show a guy who gets to the ball carrier, usually after the first down marker. He, obviously, makes some good plays, but more often than not, his plays are average. Making a tackle on a running back 4-5 yards bast the LOS is not really anything special.

LOL, you're just ridiculous at this point. You say that he's not good, then you're presented with balanced reviews of his stellar play, and you backpedal to say, "Well, no, because, um, he is going to hit one of our players [WTF are you talking about?], he dances, and he sort of maybe might be the most penalized player in the league."

Yeah, good argument there.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 01:28 PM ----------

And for this penalties BS, please refer:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/11/3/1791651/redskins-are-nfl-4th-worst-in-penalties-heres-the-breakdown

Yeah, that's LaRon Landry with one, 1, uno, a single, less than two, just over zero, ONE penalty. For ten yards. For those keeping track at home, there is no ten-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct or a personal foul.

Yes, that's as of November 4. The Eagles game, his last, was November 15.

Sorry, guys making stuff up. Those pesky facts sometimes get in the way. :(

As I stated in my post, your videos REMINDED me of what I dislike most about him. Have I once said LL is a bad player? Have I once stated that I want him off the team? Let's reconsider who's "making stuff up".

I for one am glad he's on the team, but this mentality that he's infallible is retarded. And I believe he's going to be a heavily penalized player THIS season due to the new rules about receivers (and I don't agree with the rules, but they are the reality). As for the dancing, I absolutely abhor it. At least do it when it's warranted. If a running back is 25 yards down field and you tackle him from behind, there is no reason to celebrate. Your defense just ****ed up.

I agree. It amazes me about how much fans are throwing our players under the bus and we haven't played a down of football yet this regular season. However, I disagree about the constant celebrating after he makes a hit on a player who just got a first down. Unless a player does something extraordinary then he just needs to act with class, walk back to the huddle and light a fire under his team's collective **ses while IN the huddle. Too much posturing after doing your job is just something I think happens far too often in this league. I would prefer if LL wasn't one of those guys. Doesn't make me think he is a lesser player for it though.

But, please explain to me what you're seeing. The defense as a whole was AWFUL last season.

Landry is athletically gifted, but that doesn't equate to being a great football player. He's good, but not irreplaceable. The vids show very little. They show a guy who gets to the ball carrier, usually after the first down marker. He, obviously, makes some good plays, but more often than not, his plays are average. Making a tackle on a running back 4-5 yards bast the LOS is not really anything special.

Haha dont we all:D I personally see a young extremely talented STRONG safety who is always around the ball. True our defense sucked terribly last year that i agree with. But that made Landry stand out more in my opinion. The guy has elite speed and strength and now that he has a guy like Otogwe across from him he can focus on his responsibilities now. Im not saying he is a HOF'er but the he is a excellent football player and if he wouldnt have gotten injured last year he would have been DPOY hands down. I also believe Landry would be quite hard to replace. HAIL.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 02:03 PM ----------

I agree. It amazes me about how much fans are throwing our players under the bus and we haven't played a down of football yet this regular season. However, I disagree about the constant celebrating after he makes a hit on a player who just got a first down. Unless a player does something extraordinary then he just needs to act with class, walk back to the huddle and light a fire under his team's collective **ses while IN the huddle. Too much posturing after doing your job is just something I think happens far too often in this league. I would prefer if LL wasn't one of those guys. Doesn't make me think he is a lesser player for it though.

I agree. Trust me I understand the whole celebrating thing, it does get a little old after a while but it just doesnt bother me like it seems to bother others. But to my other point, It seems to me that Redskins fans in general need to whine about something. They pick a player, normally a good one, and pile on and bash the hell outta him until he performs well and even then some folks still continue to pile it on. Let the man get on the field and play before condemning him is the way I feel about it.

:confused:I don't understand what you are trying to say in your quote. What do you mean by "referring to last years defense is probably a mistake."?

I would bet my house that you weren't even watching the season last year. This was a season where the coaching staff moved Landry back to his natural position (SS) so that he could wreak havok; and wreak havok he did. Landry was running up and down the scrimmage line and in the opponents backfield like a rabid dog. He was all over the place making fantastic plays.

Landry was regarded by many last season as being one of the top three safeties in the league up until he got hurt.

The bottomline is that you either did not watch enough of the season last year to critique Landry's play and are trying to with this threads video footage. Or, you did watch, totally forgot and are trying to remember through said video footage.

I believe it to be the first of the two.:)

Ah, now back to complaining about irrelevancies. Good. Two things:

1.) His full tilt playing style is probably the single thing the staff loves the most about him.

2.) The celebrations complaint is a typically petty and irrelevant complaint for a hater considering EVERY NFL player dogs it after making plays, including London Fletcher. Hell Aaron Rodgers was doing it last night.

Landry's energy and enthusiasm on the field is one thing I would never chage about him. It's not like he's regularly blowing assigments like Lavar. He's making plays and setting a tone. Lots of safeties are strong and fast but don't make plays like LaRon. His mentality is what sets him apart.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 04:42 PM ----------

You're full of it. In 30+ minutes of video he probably misses less than five tackles and makes more than 40 or 50 unassisted or open field tackles, many on big receivers and backs that he single handedly brings down and impedes forward progress. He's an incredible tackler and he looks incredible in those videos. Maybe you should go back and watch them again...

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 04:43 PM ----------

You're lack of football knowledge is showing...

You do know a SS's responsibility right?

This post is nonsense. Landry has missed EIGHT games in his 4 years. His rookie year he was exceptional playing beside you know who and then in 08 & 09 he was playing 30 yards off of the line which doesn't play to his strengths. The reason he was drafted 6th overall is because he's a menace playing in the box and that's what he was doing last year while playing with a torn achilles and was a NFL Defensive MVP candidate for the first 8 games. LaRon’s health this year is the key to the defense.

You can be tired of LaRon all you want but I'm tired of people that are football illiterate.

Landry is more concerned with body building. I'll get flamed for this again but I don't care, but, he needs to leave the juice alone or the injuries are gonna continue to pile up.

I think he's a good player when used right, but he isn't great. Next year we should look at bringing in some young safeties and phase out the Redskins version of Barry Bonds.

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 01:03 AM ----------

This post is nonsense. Landry has missed EIGHT games in his 4 years. His rookie year he was exceptional playing beside you know who and then in 08 & 09 he was playing 30 yards off of the line which doesn't play to his strengths. The reason he was drafted 6th overall is because he's a menace playing in the box and that's what he was doing last year while playing with a torn achilles and was a NFL Defensive MVP candidate for the first 8 games. LaRon’s health this year is the key to the defense.

You can be tired of LaRon all you want but I'm tired of people that are football illiterate.

Playing with a torn achilles? You have a link for this because it doesn't seem possible~

Please don't compare him to Sean Taylor. ST used to make game winning plays. Landry has yet to ever do that.

Rookie year against the Eagles at the 3 yard line on 4th down. 1:30 mark....

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 09:12 PM ----------

Landry is more concerned with body building. I'll get flamed for this again but I don't care, but, he needs to leave the juice alone or the injuries are gonna continue to pile up.

I think he's a good player when used right, but he isn't great. Next year we should look at bringing in some young safeties and phase out the Redskins version of Barry Bonds.

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 01:03 AM ----------

Playing with a torn achilles? You have a link for this because it doesn't seem possible~

It was an achilles tendon Injury. Do you want to split hairs? Torn? Ruptured? He played through whatever degree it was injured and played at a very high level until being shutdown. And to you're point, players are usually better "when used right".

It was an achilles tendon Injury. Do you want to split hairs? Torn? Ruptured? He played through whatever degree it was injured and played at a very high level until being shutdown. And to you're point, players are usually better "when used right".

His achillies was near rupturing, which they opted to try alternative treatment rather than surgery.

Why was it near rupturing? Most likley because his tendons have not had a chance to naturally strengthen enough to support his muscle growth.

its not just him either though... achillies and other tendon injuries are on the rise huge in football.

Again why?

Because HGh only stays detectable for a relatively short period of time. Days.

Where as anabolic steroids would remain for months depending on the compound. 4-18 months.

You need a prescription for HGh.. but teams have their own doctors and HGh has legitamite uses for recovering from injury.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 09:45 PM ----------

Just a reminder:

You're a Redskins fan.

yeah.. doesnt mean i have to be all over Landry's jock.

I personally think it would be a really bad mistake to extend Landry to some big contract next season.

Just a reminder:

You're a Redskins fan.

+1.

Everyone hating on every single Redskins player but they all claim to be Redskins fans.

If he was so overrated how come all the other coaches praise his workload and such? forward to 13:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDNCCzbqisg&feature=player_detailpage#t=796s

Laron Landry backed even by other team's coaches > Landry haters

Know your place before speaking out.

HTTR.

Archived