Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Should Snyder/Allen Publicly Guarantee that Shanny's Job is Safe?

Cool as Crud

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Thread: (March, 2011) Hey, Mike. You're Losing Me, Man
No front office that is engaging in a rebuild is going to be fired after year 1.

Overall, if this plan continues in the same fashion, it will fail, and we will be conducting a coaching search before Mike Shanahan's contract is up.

Good thing the plan has decidedly changed with a sincere commitment to rebuilding the team.

I would consider this year to be the first full year of a rebuild. As I said, no front office in year one of a multi-year rebuild is in jeopardy.

Any way you cut it, Shanahan's job is not in question this year.

But good work with the 3 month old quote taken severely out of context.

I don't think that Snyder needs to say anything publicly. What is between Shanny, Allen and Snyder is between them. Sndyer is also proving that he is taking more of an ownership role and less in operations and his making a statement like that would put him back in operations.

What would be the point? Nothing Snyder does or says will keep people from speculating. Best thing for him to do is ignore the rumors and speculation and just go about business.

This. Only I'd add that at this point I don't think there should be any concern about Shanahan's future as he's just starting his second year. If Snyder were to come out now with a statement I think it would have the opposite effect and would begin speculation about Shanahan's future, because there is no reason for anything to be said now.

Channeling my inner Larry there. :)

I like this answer too. I guess I just have battered-girlfriend syndrome and want the abusive man to promise he won't hit us again. :chair:

disclaimer: not actually making fun of battered women!

When a batterer says he won't do it again, he's lying.

I concur with ouvan59 on this. Silence is golden, and any public announcement won't do anything to quiet the segment of fans who will call for Shanny's head for any number of reasons.

You really need to take Snyder's name out of this since Bruce is running the show.

Actually, no, TK. Shanahan is running the show. He's the ultimate authority for football organizations. Allen, unlike the past, is running the signings and the like utilizing the money granted him by the owner, but, the structure is Shanny then Allen. Of course, Snyder owns the team, so, he's technically always in charge.

Art,

One thing I've never been clear on is whether Shanahan can fire Allen. I understand the structure of the FO, but Allen was hired first which makes it a little confusing. It vaguely reminds me how Jim Zorn did not choose his coaching staff. I was never sure if Zorn actually had the ability to dismiss coaches. I assumed he could not whereas I assume Shanahan can get rid of anyone he wants to (in general). I would guess he would have to clear firing Allen with Danny first whereas I doubt he would have to clear firing an LB coach.

I really can not for the life of me understand how some of the questions here are formed to be complete sentences of understanding. All the questions about management who should come who should go, who should be drafted, who should be fired, who should be given a vote of confidence. I do not know of an organization in prefessional sports that allow the fans to dictate all of the above. Skins fans have a belief that management should listen to them and do what the Public feels best. I said and say it again, if you owned your own franchise (whatever that may be) and it was your dream and idea, I doubt any of you would allow anyone to come in and tell you how it should be done. No matter what your success or failure was. Why do any of you believe management should listen to and react to your knee jerk reactions. It amazes me. I totally agree with Art. No disrepsect to the OP, but the questions of Dan's leadership is growing old. Dan was once the envy of the league. Our players and Other players loved him and owners probably hated him, hearing how Dan would pay them. Unfortunately, the former acquisitions did not pan out oh well, lets move on.

Relax and enjoy the show. With a lot of folks here he cannot win any way in any form.

Hail

I feel like Shannahan is going out of his way to make sure his job is safe. Fire him and unless you bring in someone with the same systems we've suddenly got a team that would have to be scrapped and rebuilt again.

No reason to go public with the issue in my opinion, but I think that they should keep him beyond a shadow of a doubt. You can't give a coach 2 years to perform a youth movement and expect a playoff berth. If we get one, great, but if not, we are making progress. Just give the proven winner the time and opportunity to work his magic.

Like others have said, no reason to go public with it now, it won't do any good nor will it do any harm. If he really wants to go public with that, save it for when the team, fanbase, and organization need it most (strategically). For example, if we are 2-10 and competing in our games still, and the fans are bitter because we are losing (which the fans WILL be if we lose). That would cement Shanahan for another year, and put pressure on the coaches to actually succeed the next year.

Art' date='

One thing I've never been clear on is whether Shanahan can fire Allen. I understand the structure of the FO, but Allen was hired first which makes it a little confusing. It vaguely reminds me how Jim Zorn did not choose his coaching staff. I was never sure if Zorn actually had the ability to dismiss coaches. I assumed he could not whereas I assume Shanahan can get rid of anyone he wants to (in general). I would guess he would have to clear firing Allen with Danny first whereas I doubt he would have to clear firing an LB coach.[/quote']

Shanahan can fire anyone he wants. If he fires Allen, you can bet Snyder would take interest and wonder why.

Again, no matter how much authority Shanahan has in the organization and no matter how much autonomy Snyder gives Allen on contract details, Snyder owns the team. He's the ultimate say-so on just about everything he wishes to be, including firing a linebacker coach. Now, I think Snyder relishes the JKC role of, "Do what you want, but you better be right."

Hell No! Thats like Saying Shanny should go publicly and Guarantee that he will never go 6-10 again, or never miss judge talent,or be at the bottom of the division again.SMH at the poll this is a "play it by ear situation" The fans will turn on MS this season trust that. Mcnabb & Big Al will preform too good this season.Fans will not be able to take the Brainwashing by the Media when they continue to run Dmac and Al redemption stories. Truth be told they(media) Have already began. While eating my lunch in the Naval cafe what did I see on SC a "Haynesworth hard day of work" story Followed by a "Mcnabb owes his kicker for his Jersey" fun story.SC painted a picture for big AL. Pats fans cheering him on,Big Al smiling and laughing having a good time.Then they Showed Big Al dominating the Pats in practice yup I will say it has started already. Big Al might be in the Probowl this season

I think Shanny /should/ be granted further season beyond this, but I don't think the organization should announce such publically. Doing so gives the impression that it needs to be said. Why even engender a public perception that there was a question about it in the first place? I prefer quiet confidence.

I don't like the poll choices. I see no reason to publicly guarantee that Mike Shanahan will NOT BE FIRED. What's the point? The only person who really cares is Shanahan and he'll get paid regardless. But there's no point in guaranteeing anything. You never know what might come out. IT could come out that Shanahan has a secret underground dog fighting ring with his Nazi friends. Not probable mind you, but who knows?

That said, there's little chance he is fired or deserves to be fired no matter the Redskins record in 2011.

Archived