Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Should Snyder/Allen Publicly Guarantee that Shanny's Job is Safe?

Cool as Crud

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Shark Week Analogy: I don't want Snyder Shark chasing after Shanny Swimmer all season long.

:shark:

I think the Redskins should publicly guarantee that Mike Shanahan will NOT BE FIRED after this season, regardless of our record. My reasons are several:

(1) lack of coaching continuity over the years has set this franchise back as much as lack of talent;

(2) starting over with a new coach next year would undo the small but important steps made in the draft and free agency - to wit, finding young players that fit a particular scheme;

(3) we probably won't make the playoffs this year, and no one expects to;

(4) the weaknesses in the team cannot be solved in two years;

(5) Shanahan should be free to take risks throughout the season in order to thoroughly evaluate talent, at the risk of losing a game here or there - especially given the lack of OTA's and truncated free agency period this summer;

(6) taking such risks is NOT the same as tanking the season;

(7) retaining the Shanahan regime is our best chance of competing for a championship within the next few years.

Ultimately, my primary concern is that our coaching staff will feel pressure to "play it safe" at the expense of evaluating our players and tweaking the playbook. I know that Shanny had no problem benching McNabb and Haynesworth last season, but that was his first year. I want the same level of security for this season.

Secondarily, it would prevent countless "Shanny's DONE In Washington" threads over the next few months (but admittedly not all). :silly:

Do you agree? Do you think there is already a private understanding in place?

I don't remember where it is, but I'm pretty sure it was reported on ES somewhere. However, I remember last season reading a report where Snyder said, like Coach Gibbs, Shanny would be a life time coach and would not be fired by him as long as he wanted to coach for the Redskins.

Again, I don't remember exactly where I read that, I'm 99% sure it was here on ES, but don't feel like searching for it, just to lazy.

I'm pretty sure Danny has no choice but to stick with him due to past decisions.

Moreover, I believe Danny fully expects the team to not perform at a playoff level and may even have okayed a youth rebuild that nets us a QB next year.

It's OBVIOUSLY the plan. Bowens over Jenkins is all the proof you need.

..........this is really his first year IMO. The inheritance year is a throw away. He's off to a good start with the draft and FA. First full eval for me will be after this season so I have to say that even the thought of public endorsement by the FO is very very premature.

A 5 year 35 million dollar contract gurantees Shanny doesn't get fired.

No way Dan pays him 21 million to not coach here

Good point, I forgot about the buy-out he'd have to make.

I don't remember where it is, but I'm pretty sure it was reported on ES somewhere. However, I remember last season reading a report where Snyder said, like Coach Gibbs, Shanny would be a life time coach and would not be fired by him as long as he wanted to coach for the Redskins.

Again, I don't remember exactly where I read that, I'm 99% sure it was here on ES, but don't feel like searching for it, just to lazy.

I didn't see that, but I'll try to search for it. Also, I was never totally clear that Gibbs left on his own terms, without any sort of pressure from up top. But I don't want to start that debate again.

---------- Post added August-3rd-2011 at 09:57 AM ----------

How about "No, because he doesn't need any puclic guarantees."

I like this answer too. I guess I just have battered-girlfriend syndrome and want the abusive man to promise he won't hit us again. :chair:

disclaimer: not actually making fun of battered women!

Ridiculous poll.

One option should be "No, because there's no reason to affirm someone's stability when NO ONE ANYWHERE thinks they lack it."

Other than Marty who had to be fired, who has Snyder demonstrated a lack of patience with, exactly? Norv wasn't his guy. Marty was a disaster (and, yes, the further we get from him the more people fondly remember 8-3 and think it was good without remembering there was an open mutiny against him and that team was done). Spurrier QUIT, though Snyder likely would have kept him another year. Gibbs quit. Zorn was fired and NO one seriously thinks that was from a lack of patience, do they? Shanahan is here. And he'll stay. If he does well ANOTHER Shanahan will be our head coach soon.

And, YES, Gibbs left on his own. Not ONLY on his own, but the ONLY pressure from the top was, "Please, please, please stay." I think the team expected him to fulfill his contract THEN leave. They were surprised when, and did not like how he left.

Please.

That is the LAST thing anybody needs. If Snyder released a presser today saying "Hey Skins fans! Just want to confirm that Shanny's job is safe!" it would raise disturbing questions that are not being asked right now. It would be a monumental blunder and up the bar for Redskins stupidity (and that's saying something).

Really pointless discussion at this time.

---------- Post added August-3rd-2011 at 11:27 AM ----------

Ridiculous poll.

One option should be "No, because there's no reason to affirm someone's stability when NO ONE ANYWHERE thinks they lack it."

Exactly. This board is getting even weirder than usual lately.

How about. What the hell? We are clearly a team in transition, and If shanahan is committed to the team, There is NO reason not to keep him next year. What a crock!

If people are already bailing on Shanahan before year 2? THen they are not the kinds of Skins fans I am. Yeah I want to win every game, it rarely happens in the NFL. And we may be down this year, that's okay, we are building for longterm success and that takes TIME folks.

Why would the organization have to tell us anything? This crap irks me, if you can't tell that there is a rebuild going on you are retarded. I'm pretty sure Danny is on board, I mean he removed 10K seats from FedEx to avoid blackouts during some lean times. Hell, there's not even a marketing blitz that usually goes on this time each and every year. Danny's trying to build his reputation and making every attempt to build a winner, Shanny has to be here to see the plan through.

Jesus, we're a week into his second season and a screwed up season at that. We've seen an injection of youth, classy players in the draft who were leaders at their schools, we are signing talented blue chippers, instead of future mortgaging superstar has beens and somebody wants the owner, who we've been asking for over a decade to get out of the spotlight, to say he isn't getting fired and replaced by a coach from a nonexistent list?

If you can't tell from my OP, I agree that it would be absurd to consider removing Shanahan. I created the poll because it's apparently NOT obvious to everyone, as observed by some of the same people bashing me for creating the poll :finger:

Thread: Concern about John Beck's arm?

Trust me if we loose more games than last year he is GONE!!!

Thread: (March, 2011) Hey, Mike. You're Losing Me, Man.

No front office that is engaging in a rebuild is going to be fired after year 1.

Overall, if this plan continues in the same fashion, it will fail, and we will be conducting a coaching search before Mike Shanahan's contract is up.

Thread: Redskins only have 7 players on active roster aged 30 or above

I'm expecting about 6-8 wins this year, and lots of "sky is falling" and calling for Shanny to be fired from ES members.

Thread: Question: Who will be the first head coach in the NFC East to be gone (fired or quit)?

As for end of the season, if we have another disaster like last year, not in terms of losing (because let's be honest, we're going to suck regardless) but in terms of off-field distractions/PR disasters, etc, Snyder probably has to at least entertain the thought of firing Shanahan.
Dont know about the rest but Shanny will be gone by the end of 2012. He has no QB which equals very few wins. He was a good coach years ago.. now he is just too old and only seems to care about protecting his son. He has never drafted all that well and for that matter, neither has Allen, so I expect that his stockpiling of camp fodder and special teams bodies from Aprils draft will lead to a disaster this year and next - especially with no QB, at all.
Shanahan "seems" to be trying to get something legit going here so I dont think Danny Boy will just dump him unless we have another horrible season then hes a maybe.
Shanahan could be gone if the Skins don't win more than 5 or 6 games this season.

I could find more, but I think you get the point.

Archived