Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Should Snyder/Allen Publicly Guarantee that Shanny's Job is Safe?

Cool as Crud

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Who would Snyder get? If things do not end well with Shanahan, no one worth a damn will come here. We would be stuck with the likes of Jim Fossil. Shanahan is Snyders last chance for redemption for the way he treated coaches in the past.

I think the Redskins should publicly guarantee that Mike Shanahan will NOT BE FIRED after this season, regardless of our record. My reasons are several:

(1) lack of coaching continuity over the years has set this franchise back as much as lack of talent;

(2) starting over with a new coach next year would undo the small but important steps made in the draft and free agency - to wit, finding young players that fit a particular scheme;

(3) we probably won't make the playoffs this year, and no one expects to;

(4) the weaknesses in the team cannot be solved in two years;

(5) Shanahan should be free to take risks throughout the season in order to thoroughly evaluate talent, at the risk of losing a game here or there - especially given the lack of OTA's and truncated free agency period this summer;

(6) taking such risks is NOT the same as tanking the season;

(7) retaining the Shanahan regime is our best chance of competing for a championship within the next few years.

Do you agree? Do you think there is already a private understanding in place?

[/size]

A 4 game suspension is usually a substance abuse policy.

Well' date=' I asusme that Snyder occasionally talks to Shanahan. No owner does what a lot of posters here want Snyder to do - sign the checks and shut up. It's their business after all.[/quote']

You are correct.

And, please bear in mind, a lot of posters here are complete imbeciles. For years Snyder was an absolute advantage to us in achieving the acquisitions he was asked to achieve. This year he's been an absolute advantage, similar to when Gibbs was here, allocating money for the acquisitions his people want. Snyder loves the team and loves the business of the team. He'll be involved every day he owns the team, as each and every one of us would be if we owned the team. If, magically, John Beck is the next Brees, Warner, Green, etc., this team will suddenly become surprisingly good for a surprisingly long period. And, by that same magic, Snyder will go from "terrible" owner to "great" owner. I do not believe Snyder, or any owner, deserves a SINGLE bit of credit for the success or failure of their team UNLESS they fail to do their primary job as an owner, which is to sign checks and facilitate moves for their team, or unless they serve in an active function as a football person for their team.

Snyder, to me, succeeds or fails based on whether his people get what they tell him they want, and in this, Snyder is a GREAT owner.

If anyone we'd identified as a possible QB could have actually played a lick, we'd be building statues to the man.

As we will once we find someone who can legitimately lead this team on the field for more than a year at a time. If that ever happens.

Snyder, to me, succeeds or fails based on whether his people get what they tell him they want, and in this, Snyder is a GREAT owner.

On the flip side my analogy has always been this.

You take your kid to the candy store, left without any boundaries, your kid buys everything in the store. Any piece of candy that looks interesting, they buy. Now if you keep them to a budget, or a limited choice of candies, your kid carefully makes their choices.

Snyder's biggest flaw is not setting boundaries. Leaving the inmates to run the asylum without rules leads to unrest.

He should provide a fairly rigid $$ amount, and then let the inmates pick their poison.

His greatness is his biggest flaw.

You are correct.

And, please bear in mind, a lot of posters here are complete imbeciles. For years Snyder was an absolute advantage to us in achieving the acquisitions he was asked to achieve. This year he's been an absolute advantage, similar to when Gibbs was here, allocating money for the acquisitions his people want. Snyder loves the team and loves the business of the team. He'll be involved every day he owns the team, as each and every one of us would be if we owned the team. If, magically, John Beck is the next Brees, Warner, Green, etc., this team will suddenly become surprisingly good for a surprisingly long period. And, by that same magic, Snyder will go from "terrible" owner to "great" owner. I do not believe Snyder, or any owner, deserves a SINGLE bit of credit for the success or failure of their team UNLESS they fail to do their primary job as an owner, which is to sign checks and facilitate moves for their team, or unless they serve in an active function as a football person for their team.

If anyone we'd identified as a possible QB could have actually played a lick, we'd be building statues to the man.

As we will once we find someone who can legitimately lead this team on the field for more than a year at a time. If that ever happens.

Well said Mr. Mills. I am sure a lot of fanbases would kill to have Dan Snyder as an owner, Raider fan and Bengal fan immediately come to mind.

It would be absolutely devastating to our franchise if Snyder were to **** can Shanny after 2 years. I believe in year 4 we become stable and dominant. We start filling gaps through the draft as players progress older. We splash 1,2,3 names in FA if we become playoff contenders. Doesn't have to be HUGE names, just good FA talent that would fit the scheme of defense/offense and make our team better. Just my wishes....

On the flip side my analogy has always been this.

You take your kid to the candy store, left without any boundaries, your kid buys everything in the store. Any piece of candy that looks interesting, they buy. Now if you keep them to a budget, or a limited choice of candies, your kid carefully makes their choices.

Snyder's biggest flaw is not setting boundaries. Leaving the inmates to run the asylum without rules leads to unrest.

He should provide a fairly rigid $$ amount, and then let the inmates pick their poison.

His greatness is his biggest flaw.

This is insanity to me.

Under Snyder the Washington Redskins have NEVER had a problem with salary cap management. We, also, have not always signed a ton of people in an offseason for a ton of guaranteed money. Typically we'd do that once, then have a year or two to filter those guarantees through, then do it again. The salary cap Is the rigid amount of money Snyder and each team has to spend. Some teams have the competitive advantage to allocate larger portions of that in guarantees than other teams. This new CBA limits our advantage here to a substantial degree by forcing teams to spend more, so you will see a LOT more guaranteed paragraph 5 base salaries than ever before to achieve it.

We'll see how we navigate these new waters.

So far Snyder has provided tens of millions to his people.

And his people have done what with it?

Signed largely young, largely still unproven free agents. Most of us LIKE the moves. But, in another universe, a lot of us would be asking how come we're spending $40 million or so in guaranteed money to Josh Wilson, Barry Cofield and Stephen Bowen. Seriously, only our fan base can look at what we've done and actually consider it somehow "good". It may be good, but, for the first time we're signing guys for a **** ton of money who have largely not proven themselves in the roles they will be asked to play here. Other than Brandon Lloyd we've never done this many for this much. I like the potential. But if the acquisitions suck, people here will still blame Snyder. As if he did it.

He didn't sign Lloyd. He didn't sign Bowen. He just made sure his people got who they targeted.

We just have to hope his people make good decisions :).

This is insanity to me.

Under Snyder the Washington Redskins have NEVER had a problem with salary cap management.

Don't misinterpret my position. This year has been outstanding. I think there has been incredible control by the front office.

But prior to Shanny, it was my kid in the candy store. Uncontrolled reckless spending. Sure they did a great job with the salary cap, while allowing the kids to raid the candy story :)

The fact that this thread exists proves that people want Dan to make a statement supporting what is going on with HIS (!!!) team. Regardless of anything else, this is Dan Snyder's team, not Coach Shanahan's or Bruce Allans, it is Dan Snyder's. I believe that a statement from him would go a long way.

Ridiculous poll.

One option should be "No, because there's no reason to affirm someone's stability when NO ONE ANYWHERE thinks they lack it."

My feelings exactly. Hows that saying go? Not every thread should be a thought... no thats not right, hmmm what is it

P.S. Kidding aside, " Not every thread should be a thought" is also sometimes true

Don't misinterpret my position. This year has been outstanding. I think there has been incredible control by the front office.

But prior to Shanny, it was my kid in the candy store. Uncontrolled reckless spending. Sure they did a great job with the salary cap, while allowing the kids to raid the candy story :)

Chip.

If Zorn and Vinny were here and we were spending ALL these millions on Wilson, Bowen and Cofield, we'd all be here wondering what the hell was going on. ONLY because it's not Vinny and Zorn do we give it the benefit of the doubt. We have spent similar to other seasons this offseason. No difference in core spending. We believe we're identifying good people for our weak areas, which is nice. But, the spending levels is exactly the same.

Chip.

If Zorn and Vinny were here and we were spending ALL these millions on Wilson, Bowen and Cofield, we'd all be here wondering what the hell was going on. ONLY because it's not Vinny and Zorn do we give it the benefit of the doubt. We have spent similar to other seasons this offseason. No difference in core spending. We believe we're identifying good people for our weak areas, which is nice. But, the spending levels is exactly the same.

Agreed, but this year for the first time it's spending on the trenches, and most importantly it's not shipping picks, or multiple picks for other teams players.

I could go through the list, but you know who they are. 2 picks for Lloyd and tearing up his contract before he plays a game :) You know those 2 picks for a running back that never really touched the ball (forget his name). Or picks for Brunell, McNabb. The old jetskins. Remember them.

Untethered access to do anything. It's your kid in the candy store.

For the first time since I can remember (I know they shipped one pick out this year) we currently go into the next two drafts with a full array of picks.

AND, we didn't sign the highest profile FA on the market.

BTW, Gibbs is as much to blame as Vinny and Zorn.

I can't remember the Schottenheimer FA year, perhaps it was like this one. A rarity.

Ridiculous poll.

One option should be "No, because there's no reason to affirm someone's stability when NO ONE ANYWHERE thinks they lack it."

Another option should be, "no, because public votes of confidence never mean a thing in professional sports." How many times each year does an owner say, "our coach has my confidence," only to follow it up a month later with a firing? Public votes of confidence really only occur when a desperate owner is trying to temporarily prop up a coach whose locker room is on the verge of mutiny.

If anyone's job is under pressure, it's probably Haslett's. Last year's D was awful, but Haslett gets a pass because it was a transition year, into the 3-4. This year, we have better personnel and a year of familiarity with the system, and statistically, there's nowhere to go but up. If the D improves significantly, as it should, then he should be okay. If we tread water and don't make solid progress, I could envision Shanahan bringing in a new D.C. next year.

I don't even want to think about another head coach or GM for the Washington Redskins for the next 7 to 8 years. I'm not even kidding. I want Shanny and Allen to retire from football as Washington Redskins, with their heir apparents groomed and ready to take over when they leave. If this organization is ever going to have any long-term continuous success it must have stability and

CONTINUITY

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 02:09 AM ----------

You really need to take Snyder's name out of this since Bruce is running the show.

Was just about to add something like this to my post, but then read yours. Admittedly, I rarely read the whole thread anymore. 1/2 the posts make no sense.

I really can not for the life of me understand how some of the questions here are formed to be complete sentences of understanding.

:ack:

No disrepsect to the OP, but the questions of Dan's leadership is growing old.
None taken, especially since I wasn't questioning anyone's leadership.
No need to go public with it, since it should already be understood. By the way, your poll options suck.
Thanks for your thoughts, that makes sense. I'll try harder next time.
DAN SNYDER IS A [insert adjective] OWNER, WHY CAN'T YOU REALIZE THAT??!
Chill out guys. This thread, ill-conceived as it may be, was not remotely intended to raise debate on Snyder's qualities as an owner. My "reasons" in the OP were not to make an argument against Snyder's decision making, but just accepting those very obvious points as a given, so they wouldn't be the object of wasteful debate. :(

I simply wanted to know if others thought it would be nice for the owner to publicly voice his patience and support for the direction of the team. My bad for choosing the extreme "guarantee not to fire" vehicle for launching that discussion.

Time to give this thread the ol' cyanide pill.

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 01:18 AM ----------

Was just about to add something like this to my post, but then read yours. Admittedly, I rarely read the whole thread anymore. 1/2 the posts make no sense.

If you had read the entire thread, around Post #43 you'd see that is not a given. Art and TK disagree about who would have that authority. I'm assuming you don't know better than they do?

Shark Week Analogy: I don't want Snyder Shark chasing after Shanny Swimmer all season long.

:shark:

I think the Redskins should publicly guarantee that Mike Shanahan will NOT BE FIRED after this season, regardless of our record. My reasons are several:

(1) lack of coaching continuity over the years has set this franchise back as much as lack of talent;

(2) starting over with a new coach next year would undo the small but important steps made in the draft and free agency - to wit, finding young players that fit a particular scheme;

(3) we probably won't make the playoffs this year, and no one expects to;

(4) the weaknesses in the team cannot be solved in two years;

(5) Shanahan should be free to take risks throughout the season in order to thoroughly evaluate talent, at the risk of losing a game here or there - especially given the lack of OTA's and truncated free agency period this summer;

(6) taking such risks is NOT the same as tanking the season;

(7) retaining the Shanahan regime is our best chance of competing for a championship within the next few years.

Ultimately, my primary concern is that our coaching staff will feel pressure to "play it safe" at the expense of evaluating our players and tweaking the playbook. I know that Shanny had no problem benching McNabb and Haynesworth last season, but that was his first year. I want the same level of security for this season.

Secondarily, it would prevent countless "Shanny's DONE In Washington" threads over the next few months (but admittedly not all). :silly:

Do you agree? Do you think there is already a private understanding in place?

I don't agree because it doesn't matter. MS made an agreement when he took the job and all of that was spelled out. Its the BA and MS show for now until the contract runs out and there is no reason to think that a 1,2,3,4, and 5 yr. plan wasn't in place and committed to at that negotiation. Snyder knew he would have to be patient. He put together the A-Team and is going to 'Love it when a plan comes together!'

Chip.

Add in that we're spending on 25-28 year olds and not 29-34 year olds.

If you had read the entire thread, around Post #43 you'd see that is not a given. Art and TK disagree about who would have that authority. I'm assuming you don't know better than they do?

I don't presume to know more than anyone with regards to the inner workings of the Washington Redskins, certainly not TK and Art. My own eyes are telling me that clearly Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are in 100% in charge of this team. Of course Snyder as the owner of the team has the ultimate final authority on everything to do with the Washington Redskins.

I see no situation right now where he would have to make a public vote of confidence in either Allen or Shanahan. Everybody knew this was not going to be an overnight fix, and all indications are Snyder (who hired Allen, who in turn "hired" and introduced Shanahan) is completely removed from Football operations and is content to let these men do their jobs, even if it takes a few years.

I have completely bought into Snyder being a changed man. For him to give any kind of public "vote of confidence" would be defeatist in and of itself. The reason, is that at this state of the team's development, wins and loses on the field are not the only way to measure success and failure. Frankly, for Snyder to have to give a public vote of confidence at this point assumes a dumb fan base. :)

Archived