Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Permissive parents: Curb your brats

GhostofSparta

Permissive parents: Curb your brats

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/05/granderson.bratty.kids/index.html

By LZ Granderson, CNN Contributor

July 5, 2011 8:31 a.m. EDT

Grand Rapids, Michigan (CNN) -- If you're the kind of parent who allows your 5-year-old to run rampant in public places like restaurants, I have what could be some rather disturbing news for you.

I do not love your child.

The rest of the country does not love your child either.

And the reason why we're staring at you every other bite is not because we're acknowledging some sort of mutual understanding that kids will be kids but rather we want to kill you for letting your brat ruin our dinner.

Or our plane ride.

Or trip to the grocery store.

Or the other adult-oriented establishments you've unilaterally decided will serve as an extension of your toddler's playpen because you lack the fortitude to properly discipline them, in public and at home.

More at the link

Out eating the other day and a about 8 yr old was throwing a fit,then started beating on the mother when she attempted to talk to him,she then takes him outside where he continues slugging her

turned my stomach

This is going to rapidly turn into one of those "The way I do things is perfect" thread.

That's what I'm expecting. And I also fully expect to be reminded every time that I foolishly decide to venture my opinion that "You don't have any kids, so you just don't understand!" But I will put this out early on: I agree with the part of the article that says that, as a teacher (even if I'm only a sub) you can tell which kids are given free reign at home and which kids have boundaries set.

It's a rarity, but even worse are the people who tell parents not to discipline their children. I've seen it happen at my hometown Safeway several times over the years. Example:

Mother: "JENNY, stop screaming and stop running around! Do you want this candy? THEN STOP RUNNING AROUND!"

Some Random Hero: "Um, mam I don't think that's the right way to talk to your child."

-- Ridiculous argument ensued and needed to be broken up by stockers and management. I love when people discipline their children. Thoughts like, "yeah mom, tell 'em how it is!" always cross my mind.

It must be just a coincidence that the looser the discipline, and the more kids can do what they want, the lower the test scores, the dumber the kids and the more bullying and trouble they get into earlier and earlier. People who believe that they are actually the adults and should train the kids to act like civilized humans? Those people are just old fuddy-duddys, religious nuts. No, kids are the be-all, and end-all, they should be allowed to express themselves however they want. What's the worst that could happen?

I have a problem when they do it at 9:30 in a seafood place.

wouldn't want to interrupt your admiral's feast at Red Lobster

That said, I agree with the part of the article that was posted. Quite frankly I feel the same way about dog owners. Here's a memo to dog owners: I DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT YOUR DOG. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL BECAUSE YOU HAVE A DOG IN A PUBLIC PLACE. And if you let it just walk up to me as I'm minding my own business and start nosing around in my crotch, you are a ****ing douche.

Which encompasses about 99% of dog owners that bring their dogs in public places. They are convinced everyone loves not only dogs, but THEIR dog especially.

Many parents are no different, and its maddening

Agreed with Z on both. I have patience with kids when they run,but no right through me in the middle of the store or,as others have stated,where I'm eating. I see them run to the doors where I work,and as long it's not wet ground or something,I'm cool with that. Kids like to run. Soon as they get inside though. Nope. Not enough space for that and lawsuits suck. As for the dogs. Home Depot? Really? WTF. That dog going to give a good opinion on that set of fixtures for the bathroom? Hold the dumb end of the tape when you're measuring that crown mold? Maybe help load that set of 2x4's on to the cart? :doh: Mind you,dog probably wouldn't mind being at home either. Sleeping on that couch or bed that he/she isn't supposed to be on in the first place. ;)

I work at a tuxedo rental store. I often have children to be measured for wedding parties. Many of them are quite well behaved, though inevitably there are those that are cranky about having to try on dress clothes and many of them are too young to be in tuxedos anyways but are forced into it because it's just too cute.

I have, however, once refused to do a child's measurements. This was a 10-12 year old kid who was physically assaulting his mother. Not open hand, slapping away her arms. Straight up, closed fists, punching his mom in the face and gut. I told her that I was trained in self defense and that I would no allow his attacks to come near me. I told her that I would try once, and only once, to take his measurements around the neck and for his sleeve length as well as his pants length and waist measurement. She agreed, and when I got down on my knees the child tried to punch me in the face. I actually did block it, and I'm quite glad I did. The kid was old enough to require actual force behind my block and probably could have given me a black eye. I kindly asked the mother to leave and come back when the child was calmed down. I also gave her instructions on how to measure him herself from home. In my mind, a black eye is not an assumed risk of a job as a formalwear consultant.

And I agree about the dogs. Last week in the mall I saw a 300 pound man riding around in a scooter wearing a pink halter top with a purse in his lap and a Chihuahua in the purse. I almost shoved him out of the scooter.

Agreed with Z on both. I have patience with kids when they run,but no right through me in the middle of the store or,as others have stated,where I'm eating. I see them run to the doors where I work,and as long it's not wet ground or something,I'm cool with that. Kids like to run. Soon as they get inside though. Nope. Not enough space for that and lawsuits suck. As for the dogs. Home Depot? Really? WTF. That dog going to give a good opinion on that set of fixtures for the bathroom? Hold the dumb end of the tape when you're measuring that crown mold? Maybe help load that set of 2x4's on to the cart? :doh: Mind you,dog probably wouldn't mind being at home either. Sleeping on that couch or bed that he/she isn't supposed to be on in the first place. ;)

Dude, that drives me crazy. I was in Lowes today and some guy had his 150 lbs dog on one of those retractable leashes that is rated for a large rodent. Dog was getting into everything.

I remember sitting at the pharmacy sick as hell waiting for my antibiotics. Someone precious snowflake walks over and kicks my chair a few times. My restraint was having a strong day and I didn't punt the **** across the store instead choosing to ask his distracted mom to kindly ask him to stop. She did as asked and got screamed at by her little angel. He kicked my chair again after giving his mom a tongue lashing and I lost it.

Zoony's dig reference is a good one. If, like dogs, your damn kids are poorly socialized and incapable of being out without annoying everyone... Keep them in the damn house.

It's a rarity, but even worse are the people who tell parents not to discipline their children. I've seen it happen at my hometown Safeway several times over the years. Example:

Mother: "JENNY, stop screaming and stop running around! Do you want this candy? THEN STOP RUNNING AROUND!"

Some Random Hero: "Um, mam I don't think that's the right way to talk to your child."

-- Ridiculous argument ensued and needed to be broken up by stockers and management. I love when people discipline their children. Thoughts like, "yeah mom, tell 'em how it is!" always cross my mind.

mother: "Jenny, stop screaming and stop running around or you are getting the belt. you arent getting candy cuz you were acting like a little brat, but you can still save yourself some punishment.":ols:

Gotta love the parent's whose kids **** doesn't stink :ols:

New Rule: If you have children, they have annoyed the **** out of someone in public.

My kid would never do that. :ols:

If you are a parent, your kids have embarrassed you in public. And if they haven't, then you are naive.

When you take your kid to get new tires, or a pharmacy, or a restaurant, or wherever odds are they have been a pain in the ass.

What YOU find acceptable is NEVER acceptable to everyone else.

Get over yourselves :ols:

Have a kid and enjoy everyone else thinking you are raising the incorrectly. Trust me they do.

I have girls, so as youngsters their **** never stank :ols: Now that they are teens...well....

There are awful parents and awful kids. My kids have embarrassed me at times with their behavior, and will so in the future as well. People could do to have some tolerance though. I've seen grown-ups get pissed off in a grocery store because a <1 y/o baby was crying (loudly) as the mother was trying to check out her groceries.

As for dogs....well I hate ours, I want to spend LESS time with him, not more.

I used to have pretty strong opinions about this pre-parent, and even though I have a one year old now, I have to admit my opinions are still pretty strong. I'm not naive enough to think our kid is perfect, but when we go out to eat, she's generally alright as long as she has a pacifier, a sip cup, and some food to randomly nibble on. However, she's in the "discovering her voice" stage and is now prone to random high pitched shrieking and babbling, which is embarrassing as hell in public, even if other patrons and the waitress all smile at her. I'm convinced they secretly want to kill me, because I used to secretly want to kill everyone else who brought a kid into the restaurant.

Note, the shrieking and babbling is good-mood type of stuff. We've taken her outside once or twice when she's cried past a few seconds, or if she ges overly fidgety because she wants to walk.

I've never seen anyone take a dog into Lowe's before, I can't imagine how self absorbed that must be to think that no one cares.

Kids aren't dogs. They will misbehave sometimes. And when they do, you can't just yank on the choke collar and give them a stern "no" and expect them to sit down and shut up immediately every time. The author's comments about "the look" border on preposterous. Then again, my daughter is 2, not 5, so maybe things will change, but I'm skeptical.

We do our best not to bother other people, particularly at restaurants. If my 2 year old is crying or yelling or uncontrollable, we get her out. I've had plenty of dinners, particularly when she was a baby, where my wife and I switched off, with one of us sitting and eating while the other took care of the kid outside. You can't do that in a plane. As long as the parents are making a reasonable effort, I don't care, but I have grown much more tolerant about such things since I had mine. Besides, nice restaurants are one thing, but many restaurants cater to families. If you can't tolerate kids, don't go to a Chili's at 6 pm on a Saturday.

And a kid "ruining your trip to the grocery store"? Give me a freaking break. Who the heck cares if a kid is crying in a grocery store?

But this article does remind me of a dinner last Saturday. While my kid sat nicely in her chair and colored, these two bratty boys at the table next to us were going completely wild. Not listening to the parents, causing all sorts of problems, being extremely loud.... Our waiter told us they were there every week, and always like that. You could tell the parents had no idea how to discipline. All sorts of empty threats with no follow through. The craziest thing to me was that despite all this, both of them had some handheld video games they were playing at the table, even after the food came, and the parents made no effort to take it away until well into the dinner. I told my wife right then, if our daughter ever has one of those things, it never comes out at the dinner table, even if we haven't ordered yet. I see it, and they lose it for 2 days (the first time).

I have a 7yr old son and consider him to be the center of my existence but I agree 100% with this article. A parent's job is not to be the magic wish fairy for every whim that they have, it is to parent, to help a child learn to grow up into a respectable, responsible human being.

I confess, I have had occasions when his highness acted up in public, but the result was leaving immediately, not just expecting everyone else to smile and endure it, and there were consequences for it. Draconian? No, but attention getters.

IMO the vast majority of problems stem from lazy parents taking the path of least resistance, just giving in to mollify the child right now, no matter what the longterm effect may be. "Parent" is a verb as well as a noun.

Archived