Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Permissive parents: Curb your brats

GhostofSparta

One of the great things about growing up in a colorful and highly dysfunctional extended family is that you don't buy nostalgia about how good things used to be.

This is a family story from the 50s. My dad had older first cousins who were both star athletes and good students and also borderline juvenile delinquents with the most accomodating Italian mother in history. It made up for the fact that they had the most domineering Italian father in history who beat them until her ran away with his mistress.

Anyway, one night during football season, the high school football coach calls my aunt and asks to speak to her son, his quarterback. This is on the Thursday before the game. The mom (my aunt) says, "I'm sorry, Coach _____. He can't come to the phone right now. He went to bed fifteen minutes ago and is sound asleep." The coach says, "That is interesting considering I'm in my car right now across from (Town Slut's name)'s house and am watching him make out with her on the porch."

Anyway...I like that story.

And your children are not special.

Some of it's simply numbers. Our two kids have always been great. Having a friend over has never been a problem, irrespective of the friend. Three kids is a totally different dynamic. Four? Go ahead and call 911 now.

#1, ive never seen a dog in a home depot. :wtf:.

My guess is you visit the home depot once a year or so. Wait till you own a house in suburbia, you will know the entire staff by name

---------- Post added July-7th-2011 at 04:12 PM ----------

2 kids?

I thought you were married for longer than 20 months.

See what I did there?

Actually, no. WTF are you talking about

Anyway' date=' one night during football season, [b']the high school football coach calls my aunt[/b] and asks to speak to her son, his quarterback. This is on the Thursday before the game. The mom (my aunt) says, "I'm sorry, Coach _____. He can't come to the phone right now. He went to bed fifteen minutes ago and is sound asleep." The coach says, "That is interesting considering I'm in my car right now across from (Town Slut's name)'s house and am watching him make out with her on the porch."

So your town's football coach, in the 1950s, owned a functioning car phone?

Riiiiiiiiight.

07%20cool%20story%20bro.jpeg

You see' date=' he is Irish and they breed.

[/quote']

You have me confused with a Catholic. Try Zoony.

I hear the evangelicals like to breed in large numbers too.

EDIT: One of these days you'll get your Irish stereotypes right. As much by random chance if nothing else.

Usually its nothing that a lil spanking in the parking lot cant cure.

Oh wait...

http://www.star94.com/cindyandray/Story.aspx?id=1447108

Texas Woman Fined $50 and Sentenced to 5 Years Probation For... SPANKING

Woman sentenced for spanking child. Fair or outrageous?

Spanking is no longer up for debate, says one Texas Judge; it's just plain wrong.

On Friday, Rosalina Gonzales was sentenced to five years probation and a $50 fine by Judge Jose Longoria, after pleading guilty to causing injury to a child. The mother was originally arrested when her 2-year-old daughter's paternal grandmother (who has custody of the child) noticed red marks on her bottom.

"You don't spank children today," Longoria told Gonzales.

A recent study published in the journal Pediatrics found that toddlers who are spanked are more likely to become aggressive later on. It's also been linked to addiction, depression and spousal abuse.

What's more, the definition of spanking varies from parent to parent blurring the lines of what's child abuse. Proof of that is in the statement on spanking from the Texas DA's office. "Texas law allows the use of force but not deadly force, against a child by the child's parent, guardian, or other person who is acting in loco parentis."

Oh wait...

http://www.star94.com/cindyandray/Story.aspx?id=1447108

Texas Woman Fined $50 and Sentenced to 5 Years Probation For... SPANKING

Woman sentenced for spanking child. Fair or outrageous?

Spanking is no longer up for debate, says one Texas Judge; it's just plain wrong.

On Friday, Rosalina Gonzales was sentenced to five years probation and a $50 fine by Judge Jose Longoria, after pleading guilty to causing injury to a child. The mother was originally arrested when her 2-year-old daughter's paternal grandmother (who has custody of the child) noticed red marks on her bottom.

"You don't spank children today," Longoria told Gonzales.

parents get in trouble for spanking now? wow.

Where would the fun be in that? Stupid Irish, always raining on parades and practicing your Kung Fu.

I'm hoping his stereotypes on lawyers, Jews, blacks and Latinos are funnier.

---------- Post added July-7th-2011 at 06:11 PM ----------

Oh wait...

snip

If she "caused injury" to a two year old, such that the kid's grandmother felt the need to report it to authorities, I'm not sure it would fall under most definitions of 'spanking'. At least the definitions of those who defend the practice.

I totally disagree, my daughter is 17 months and she knows "the look", although it doesn't work so well with her yet, but she responds to it. It definitely works wonders with my two 4 year olds. After a few years, kids know, for the most part, when they're doing something that they probably shouldn't be doing and for parents who have boundaries at home, and discipline and regulate their child, all it takes is "the look" in public for the child to straighten up immediately. At least from my experience.

Boy I'm looking forward to that.

The look does not work at 2. Let me tell you...:)

We're still at stern voice and threat/imposition of timeout. Count of 3. My daughter has, at least, long since learned that there is no "2 1/2", and no credit for doing something right after I say 3.

---------- Post added July-7th-2011 at 06:23 PM ----------

I got great Jewish stuff.

What do you call a Jew who can't stand the sight of blood? A lawyer!

(as a Jew and a lawyer, I'm allowed to tell that joke)

It must be just a coincidence that the looser the discipline, and the more kids can do what they want, the lower the test scores, the dumber the kids and the more bullying and trouble they get into earlier and earlier. People who believe that they are actually the adults and should train the kids to act like civilized humans? Those people are just old fuddy-duddys, religious nuts. No, kids are the be-all, and end-all, they should be allowed to express themselves however they want. What's the worst that could happen?
Sometimes, the dumbest people I know are the result of over-controlling parents. They have no personality, and they don't know how to make good decisions on their own because they've never had to.

That being said, kids with self-discipline usually have parents who discipline.

THAT being said, every kid is different. My first daughter was insane, and we literally could not control her from the time she was 2 to 5 years old. Our second kid was great during that age. Our first child (now six) has outgrown her craziness and is now a listening machine.

As for the story of the eight year old who was hitting his mother... I can't imagine ever letting a kid like that out of the house. By eight, you know better. He's learning that from somewhere, and I imagine his father treats her like crap.

Hey now.

5143642412_055244e52d.jpg

Head Coach Nancy Drew checks up on the late-night social escapades of her young gridiron talent.

Twin-threat linebackers the Hardy Boys, place kicker Encyclopedia Brown, and star running back Billy Jo Jive had better think twice about necking with any loose girls up at Overlook Ridge, boy howdy!

I was at Home Depot tonight and a man was loading two dogs in his shopping cart. I actually turned around and walked back to the car to get my phone to take a picture and post it for all you nonbelieving ****s. Alas, he dissapeared. I suspect he took the dogs to go pee on the mailboxes. I had to buy cove and quarter round.

I will get a picture, damnit, and post it here.

Hey now.

:ols: :ols:

---------- Post added July-7th-2011 at 08:26 PM ----------

I was at Home Depot tonight and a man was loading two dogs in his shopping cart. I actually turned around and walked back to the car to get my phone to take a picture and post it for all you nonbelieving ****s. Alas, he dissapeared. I suspect he took the dogs to go pee on the mailboxes. I had to buy cove and quarter round.

I will get a picture, damnit, and post it here.

dogs in shopping cart @ Home Depot.... yeah right :rolleyes:

Archived