Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Permissive parents: Curb your brats

GhostofSparta

Out eating the other day and a about 8 yr old was throwing a fit,then started beating on the mother when she attempted to talk to him,she then takes him outside where he continues slugging her

turned my stomach

At least she took him outside.

Dude, that drives me crazy. I was in Lowes today and some guy had his 150 lbs dog on one of those retractable leashes that is rated for a large rodent. Dog was getting into everything.

It's that or their tails removing stuff from the lower racks,(which of course,the owner doesn't put back).

My sister who raises some uncontrollable brats told me she read a study that kids who are allowed to argue with their parents turn out to be more successul in life because they learn things like negotiation, independent thought, and all that other good stuff. WHATEVER.

Call me crazy, but I care about other people and their experiences. I try not to take my 1 YO out to restaurants. She's well behaved for the most part but she has her moments.

Somebody mentioned the kids on an airplane dilema. I usually have lifesavers for flights because the sucking helps my ears. There have been many flights where (- not duplicate in edit screen) the life savers helped the ears of an entire section of the plane after I give one to a screaming kid whine the cause is the change in preassure. Of course getting candy as a bribe is also a perfectly reasonable reason for a kid to stop crying...

If the candy, coloring books and dollar store toys aren't working for my kids (or me), I've occassionaly fallen back on the Chinese preassure points taught to me by a fellow airline passenger when I was a kid. On my 24 hours trip to Saipan, these were very useful (and I finally found a write-up at http://taichi.snowcron.com/chigun.htm):

He Gu

If you put your thumb close to the side of the palm, the little "bump" will form at the back side of the palm, between the thumb and the rest of the fingers.

Press the point on the top of this bump, and then move the pressure a little bit sideways, as the point is located a little bit under the first (hidden) bone of the pointing finger.

Massage is perforned by the thumb of the opposite hand.

The point can be used as a "pain-killer", for headache, toothache and so on.

Vai Guan and Nei GuanT

wo points, located at the hand, 3 fingers above the wrist, at the inner and outer (where we wear the hand watches) side of the hand. These points are more sensitive to pressure, then the rest of the hand.

The massage is performed by hitting the points with the bottom side of the fist (where the baby finger is), or using fingers, with strong circular motions.

my favorite is how every ****ing one of them says "don't worry, he won't bite. he's nice." even if he's growling his face off and pulling the owner on the leash.

I used to give them a stern look. Then I tried a firm "keep your ****ing animal under control", when they'd complain about my use of language. So now I reply simply "If your animal does anything that I consider a threat I will kill it. Have a nice day".

Gotta love the parent's whose kids **** doesn't stink :ols:

New Rule: If you have children, they have annoyed the **** out of someone in public.

My kid would never do that. :ols:

If you are a parent, your kids have embarrassed you in public. And if they haven't, then you are naive.

When you take your kid to get new tires, or a pharmacy, or a restaurant, or wherever odds are they have been a pain in the ass.

What YOU find acceptable is NEVER acceptable to everyone else.

Get over yourselves :ols:

Have a kid and enjoy everyone else thinking you are raising the incorrectly. Trust me they do.

I have girls, so as youngsters their **** never stank :ols: Now that they are teens...well....

I agree with this, kids are challenging and it's just not that easy to make them behave up to everyones "standards".

MassSkins Fan - some people are so rude. We told you not to bring your kids. You can't read?

When my sister and I were kids before Mom pulled out of the driveway she gave us "the look" and said if either of you embarrass me today we will never leave the house again. It worked.

Yep. Rude. That's why I like the article - kids are great and you can expect them to misbehave from time to time (they're learning social behavior after all) but parents need to provide correction effectively.

One nice thing I'm seeing from this thread is that lots of you who are parents seem to have all this relatively under control. Either that or your child is running your life and you just don't know it.:silly:

Seriously though, nice to see you all doing your best. That's all anyone can ask of you.

#1, ive never seen a dog in a home depot. :wtf:

#2, ive gotten a lot less polite about things over the past like, 2 years. I have no problem telling people to control their obviously out of control kids in public places where it's inappropriate.

#3, most places, there is pretty much an expectation that there are going to be kids, and they are going to be out of control, annoying ****s. In fact, that is probably the rule, and places like the movie theatre, NICE restaurants, and Hooters (in Kilmers case) are the exceptions.

In my later years in Boy Scouts as a senior leader I always knew whose kids were brought up right. When push came to shove they'd do it without putting up a hissy fit. Kids always mess around and sometimes it's downright funny to watch them learn their lesson, that's the same for mammals that aren't even human. But there is a point where they need to be put in their place (not violently), just that they know who's in charge for the next 20 years.

I occasionally had to watch my niece and nephew. Very well-raised. Always behave

Dude, that drives me crazy. I was in Lowes today and some guy had his 150 lbs dog on one of those retractable leashes that is rated for a large rodent. Dog was getting into everything.

How in the hell do these people get away with bringing dogs into public stores? Aren't there laws against this unless it's a seeing eye dog? If I were the manager, he'd have to take the dog outside.

---------- Post added July-7th-2011 at 01:31 PM ----------

As for dogs....well I hate ours, I want to spend LESS time with him, not more.

:ols::ols::ols::ols:

I agree with this, kids are challenging and it's just not that easy to make them behave up to everyones "standards".

You don't have to live up to "everyone's" standards...but come on you can at least try to control your kids [not you specifically]. Seriously 99% of what drives me nuts is when the parents simply refuse to try. What's more is that consistency in discipline reaps massive rewards. You will always have your exceptions, but those exceptions simply prove the rule.

---------- Post added July-7th-2011 at 01:51 PM ----------

:ols: This reminds me of a crazy/eccentric professor from my undergraduate school, Dr. Margaret Earl Harper she was an old battle axe of a woman and with a middle name like Earl, you can only imagine what type of woman she was...simply a force both physically and interpersonally. Anyways, she and her husband bred Irish Wolfhounds and she would take them two at a time to the beauty salon in town, and I remember once they were standing with the robust backsides pointed at and mere feet away from the primped older ladies who were sitting under the hair-dryer domes; their eyes directly level with the south bound end of the northbound wolfhound. The looks on their faces....hilarious....it was everything I could do to keep from exploding.

I don't have kids, my sister has 6. the boys are wild- and the parents have never really been consistent disciplinarians. I hate being around them in a private setting, let alone public places.

When my now 13 yr old nephew was about 3, I took him to Old Navy to buy a winter coat. It was near Christmas time, so the store was busy. Everything was going great, until we got into the checkout line, and he wanted gum. I told him I'd buy him gum as soon as we bought his coat. Heck, he was the only kid at the time, so I had no problem buying him gum, ice cream etc.

Well, waiting until we were done buying the coat was not fast enough for him. He threw himself on the ground, screaming - the whole works. My first thought is a swat on the butt, thats what my mom would have done. But afraid at what all these women staring at me would say- I tried talking to him, but nothing was working.

I finally just drug him out of that store and told my sister she could buy his damn coat.

I'm really not a kid person at all, especially uncontrollable, undisciplined brats.

Actions have consequences, and bad actions have very bad consequences.

A simple, yet profound statement! And the reason why you have such wayward adults today. :doh:

---------- Post added July-7th-2011 at 01:21 PM ----------

You don't have to live up to "everyone's" standards...but come on you can at least try to control your kids [not you specifically]. Seriously 99% of what drives me nuts is when the parents simply refuse to try. What's more is that consistency in discipline reaps massive rewards. You will always have your exceptions, but those exceptions simply prove the rule..

YES!!^^ Last summer we had a house warming party for our new home. One of our married couple friends came over with thier children; 5 in all, which ages range from 5 to 11. They pretty much know how we are about children running and playing around the house. Unfortunately, this didn't translate to thier children.... I spent about half the afternoon telling these kids to stop running up and down my steps. BTW they were actually running from the 2nd floor all the way down to the basement...It drove me bat-crazy!!! I decided from there that we may not be having too many get-togethers if folks can't monitor thier children. I was more upset with the parents, because they didn't do much at all....And what made it worse is that, they know for sure that i wouldn't dare allow my children to do that at thier home. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

YES!!^^ Last summer we had a house warming party for our new home. One of our married couple friends came over with thier children; 5 in all, which ages range from 5 to 11. They pretty much know how we are about children running and playing around the house. Unfortunately, this didn't translate to thier children.... I spent about half the afternoon telling these kids to stop running up and down my steps. BTW they were actually running from the 2nd floor all the way down to the basement...It drove me bat-crazy!!! I decided from there that we may not be having too many get-togethers if folks can't monitor thier children. I was more upset with the parents, because they didn't do much at all....And what made it worse is that, they know for sure that i wouldn't dare allow my children to do that at thier home. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

I dunno, we had the wife's niece over and she brought her spawn, who are borderline feral.

Gave me a whole new appreciation for where my son is at. Gotta see the bright side of things like this.

I dunno, we had the wife's niece over and she brought her spawn, who are borderline feral.

Gave me a whole new appreciation for where my son is at. Gotta see the bright side of things like this.

The bright side was when they left....:ols:

Kids aren't dogs. They will misbehave sometimes. And when they do, you can't just yank on the choke collar and give them a stern "no" and expect them to sit down and shut up immediately every time. The author's comments about "the look" border on preposterous. Then again, my daughter is 2, not 5, so maybe things will change, but I'm skeptical.

I totally disagree, my daughter is 17 months and she knows "the look", although it doesn't work so well with her yet, but she responds to it. It definitely works wonders with my two 4 year olds. After a few years, kids know, for the most part, when they're doing something that they probably shouldn't be doing and for parents who have boundaries at home, and discipline and regulate their child, all it takes is "the look" in public for the child to straighten up immediately. At least from my experience.

Archived