Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider (McShay) 2012 Mock Draft - Skins #3 pick - Matt Barkley QB

Rypien1191

I don't know why anyone listens to theses idiots. It would be alright if they just gave info about players but predicting how good they'll be its a freakin joke. Not even the best GMs or Scouts can predict that. The NFL Draft is a crap shoot plain and simple.

Exactly, both of them weren't high on Newton, but slobbed on Gabbert.........

No he didn't.

I will post a transcript of what he did say in a few minutes.

Yes he did I was looking at it. He said that. He doesn't have ELITE tools but does a lot of good things. If he maximize on those tools he should be a SOLID Starting QB.

And if anyone listening to these clowns I don't know whats wrong with you. When they have Griffin at 21 and says Landry Jones is still in the running for #2 QB is laughable.

Yes he did I was looking at it. He said that. He doesn't have ELITE tools but does a lot of good things. If he maximize on those tools he should be a SOLID Starting QB.

And if anyone listening to these clowns I don't know whats wrong with you. When they have Griffin at 21 and says Landry Jones is still in the running for #2 QB is laughable.

Wait, first you use them to bolster your argument that Barkley is only going to be a solid QB in the NFL, but not great. And right after that you ridicule people for listening to them because they have Griffin much lower than you do. :ols:

I don't know why anyone listens to theses idiots. It would be alright if they just gave info about players but predicting how good they'll be its a freakin joke. Not even the best GMs or Scouts can predict that. The NFL Draft is a crap shoot plain and simple.

Then why do the best teams draft well and the worst teams draft poorly? The draft is a crapshoot is a myth.

Wait, first you use them to bolster your argument that Barkley is only going to be a solid QB in the NFL, but not great. And right after that you ridicule people for listening to them because they have Griffin much lower than you do. :ols:

No because I think Barkley is Elite in somethings. Like reading defenses and his pumpfakes are good. I think he can be a Great Starter. Not Solid. But does he have that ability to be the best on our team? I don't know about that. I would like to think my QB will be the best player on my team. RG3 has that ability.

Transcript of Kiper/McShay discussion of Robert Griffin on Sportscenter a few minutes ago:

Kiper- Todd, Robert Griffin III, outstanding QB at Baylor, we know he is one of the supreme athletes to ever play the position at the college level, my question to you is- Todd, how has Robert Griffin III improved as a pure quarterback moving forward to the NFL in the not-to-distant future?

McShay- I think he's improved a lot, and I think mostly with his accuracy, Mel, that's the difference I'm seeing. When I watched tape of him coming into the year I thought to myself- great athlete, maybe he'll have to move positions in the NFL but certainly has a place to play at the next level. But the more tape I've watched of him this year, I've seen him throw with more touch, being able to lead receivers to yards after the catch, and putting the ball in spots. I think that kind of improvement is promising for him to be able to make that jump to the next level. Phenominal athlete, what he can do moving outside the pocket, and all those things are great, but ultimately he's got to be an accurate passer to be successful in the NFL. The improvement I've seen has really improved his draft stock and is why he now is in the mix with these first-round qb's behind Andrew Luck.

Kiper- I want to put an exclamation point, Todd, on what you said about Robert Griffin III. What I see is intelligence and character. When he is interviewed by the NFL brass, they are going to be wowed over by the way he comes across, how smart he is, how dedicated he is, how good of leadership qualities he brings to the table. Combine that with the fact that he is that athlete with the mobility, the speed and the quickness, and the ability to make those throws from the pocket that the NFL is looking for. Another thing to- is he 6'2, is he 6'1, is he 6'0.5? We won't know that until the combine, the height will be critical, but I agree...I think right now I have Robert Griffin III at #21 on the big board with that arrow moving up.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 03:26 PM ----------

He did say that about Barkley. My fault, I thought this had become a RGIII thread. ;)

(And, for the record, I'll take those clowns over most of the clowns in here.)

When you say Mike Vick is that a bad thing? Never said he got the best deep ball in history. Just said he's better than the other 2 QBs that are Elite. Never said he's the best QB ever either. People don't see Mike Vick in RG3. They see RG3! You still don't get it! Alot of people don't even associate Vick with RG3 only running. That's it. RG3 for one at the time coming out of college he is WAY better passer. More experience. Better student. I'm mean its so much more to RG3 than it is to Mike Vick. Mike could have been great if he had studied more and worked on his craft. He even said that. He just got out of prison and just now applying himself as a pocket passer. What 10 years from his draft year? But you want to compare him to RG3? As prospects RG3 is far superior to Vick coming out as a QB. Its not the hype its just the truth. Dude is that good.

For those following along, this is incorrect. Vick almost pulled a Cam Newton his last year at Tech, almost single handedly beating one of the best Nole teams Bobby ever put on the field. As with Cam, Vick willed his team to the National title game. None of that with RGIII.

Vick was the unanimous #1 draft pick coming out much like Luck is today or Bradford was two years ago.

Make no mistake. RGIII is not the better prospect in the eyes of the NFL. "Prospect" being the key word.

Anybody that listens to Heckle and Jeckle has to be completely intoxicated or just want to be entertained. McShay and Kiper are jokes because they both make absurd predictions about a player that never materialize. Kiper pumping up Claussen one year. McShay stating Gabbert is the better qb in the class last year. Please. The analysts that have credibility to me are Parcells and Mayock. Parcells has even came out and stated slow down with the Luck talk because it is too early in the process. Mayock has been dead ready on the majority of his assessments in the past. Mayock and Parcells both have NFL credentials be it coach, player, and front office. Beavis and Butthead are Espn fluckies.

For those following along, this is incorrect. Vick almost pulled a Cam Newton his last year at Tech, almost single handedly beating one of the best Nole teams Bobby ever put on the field. As with Cam, Vick willed his team to the National title game. None of that with RGIII.

Vick was the unanimous #1 draft pick coming out much like Luck is today or Bradford was two years ago.

Make no mistake. RGIII is not the better prospect in the eyes of the NFL. "Prospect" being the key word.

Yeah he did "will" his team in the NC game. But by no means was he a better "QB" prospect than Griffin is now. I remember those days because he was the talk of my town since I'm from Newport News. And VT had a squad too. Their defense was holding people to 10 points a game. Next the NC game is what made him the #1 pick. Cause FSU had a monster defense and he was killing them. People just didn't see that kind of athletic ability before with his arm. It was unseen.

Blaine Gabbert:

Strengths:

Excellent size and strong arm

Can make all the NFL throws with accuracy and touch

Decent mobility, quickness, and speed for a big quarterback

Throws accurately on the run

Has a fairly quick release

Reads defenses well at the line of scrimmage

Rarely tries to force the ball into receivers who are covered

Great leadership skills

Tough guy who is willing to play through nagging injuries

Blaine Gabbert:

10 games played

48.5% completion

6 tds

6 ints

5.19 ypa

qb rating 62.2

Then why do the best teams draft well and the worst teams draft poorly? The draft is a crapshoot is a myth.

Go look at a team like the Ravens draft history.They draft well but they have more misses than hits. For every pro bowl caliber player a team drafts they'll draft 10 others that won't ever play at a high level. At best its an educated guest.

Go look at a team like the Ravens draft history.They draft well but they have more misses than hits. For every pro bowl caliber player a team drafts they'll draft 10 others that won't ever play at a high level. At best its an educated guest.

Well, yeah. For every Gmail that Google has, it has a few Waves. That's how it works. No draft class will ever be all hits, but you can't strike gold with a pick that you don't have a good idea of how to use.

Blaine Gabbert:

Blaine Gabbert:

10 games played

48.5% completion

6 tds

6 ints

5.19 ypa

qb rating 62.2

i watched a breakdown on NFL network about gabbert and why hes struggling, and the biggest reason they had was that his footwork becomes terrible at the slightest hint of pressure. he starts moving around, doesnt step into throws or move well in the pocket, and when hes pressured even just a little it throws his entire game off. i wasnt familiar with him at mizzou but i wonder if he was ever pressured there or if he was constantly throwing from clean pockets.

i watched a breakdown on NFL network about gabbert and why hes struggling, and the biggest reason they had was that his footwork becomes terrible at the slightest hint of pressure. he starts moving around, doesnt step into throws or move well in the pocket, and when hes pressured even just a little it throws his entire game off. i wasnt familiar with him at mizzou but i wonder if he was ever pressured there or if he was constantly throwing from clean pockets.

Remind you of anyone?

Well, yeah. For every Gmail that Google has, it has a few Waves. That's how it works. No draft class will ever be all hits, but you can't strike gold with a pick that you don't have a good idea of how to use.

Exactly. The draft is absolutely NOT a crapshoot. There is a reason why the same teams are good pretty much every year. Hell I'd say Free Agency is a bigger crapshoot than the draft. For every London Fletcher there is a Jeremiah Trotter. For every Santana Moss, a Brandon Lloyd. For every Cornelius Griffin, an Albert Haynesworth. Etc. etc. etc.

Remind you of anyone?

Who are you suggesting?

---------- Post added December-2nd-2011 at 11:42 AM ----------

Exactly. The draft is absolutely NOT a crapshoot. There is a reason why the same teams are good pretty much every year. Hell I'd say Free Agency is a bigger crapshoot than the draft. For every London Fletcher there is a Jeremiah Trotter. For every Santana Moss, a Brandon Lloyd. For every Cornelius Griffin, an Albert Haynesworth. Etc. etc. etc.

So what's your point? What is the reason the same teams are good every year?

Better scouts?

That does not make sense. People knew guys like Lloyd and Haynesworth were risks given their checkered past (though neither Lloyd or Moss was a free agent signing).

The same teams are good because they have a good QB. The Colts haven't drafted wll in 4-5 years, but they did fine up until when Manning went down. The Patriots have also blown a lot of picks over the last 6 years. Seriously, look up their draft history. But you get a QB, and the team overall will be respectable. You need just enough complimentary pieces to fill out the roster.

Archived