Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider (McShay) 2012 Mock Draft - Skins #3 pick - Matt Barkley QB

Rypien1191

So what's your point? What is the reason the same teams are good every year?

Better scouts?

Yes? I mean, was that a real question?

That does not make sense. People knew guys like Lloyd and Haynesworth were risks given their checkered past (though neither Lloyd or Moss was a free agent signing).

The same teams are good because they have a good QB. The Colts haven't drafted wll in 4-5 years, but they did fine up until when Manning went down. The Patriots have also blown a lot of picks over the last 6 years. Seriously, look up their draft history. But you get a QB, and the team overall will be respectable. You need just enough complimentary pieces to fill out the roster.

Remind me where Manning was drafted again. Also, remind me how many times you can blow a pick if you don't have it. Sorry, but I'll take the entire Patriots roster even with the guys that they took chances on given their plethora of picks and excellent free agency.

The reason the Patriots are good every year is NOT because of how well they draft, trust me lol :ols:...over the past 4+ years they make Vinny look like Bethard.

They can afford to eff up because they've drafted or signed the key players already. They can afford to take fliers while we, even if we hit gold on all eight draft picks, still need players.

Yes? I mean, was that a real question?

Remind me where Manning was drafted again. Also, remind me how many times you can blow a pick if you don't have it. Sorry, but I'll take the entire Patriots roster even with the guys that they took chances on given their plethora of picks and excellent free agency.

They can afford to eff up because they've drafted or signed the key players already. They can afford to take fliers while we, even if we hit gold on all eight draft picks, still need players.

It really depends on the positions of those 8 picks if we need alot more or not. Lets say we hit on 8 picks this year. The positions are QB, RT, C, CB, WR, G, ILB, and NT. You don't think we are a good team then?

That's not it.

In the 4 drafts between 2006 and 2009, the Patriots had 38 draft picks.

TEN of those draft picks are still on the team. Ten draft picks out of 38 still remain on the team. That's it.

Out of those 38 picks, a whopping four players have become starters.

Four.

If you have good scouts, those 38 draft picks should be helping form the nucleus of the next core of players. The Patriots draft record during those years has nothing whatsoever to do with "taking fliers" on players.

If we're not there thanks to our record, look to trading up to get Luck, Jones, or Barkley. If we can get one of those three, we'll be in a good position.

And, if we can trade up again and get a BIG SPEEDY PHYSICAL WR ... we will be GREAT shape!

Being wishful, would love to have Tyrann Mathieu (LSU) don our colors. He is an incredible playmaker.

I'm a little skeptical about Barkley. The last two great USC QBs have played below average in the NFL. I'm talking about Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez. Carson Palmer is the last great QB from USC that wasn't a bust although the jury is still out on Sanchez. Judging from what I've seen of Barkley, he is indeed worthy of a top tive or top 10 draft choice. But I'd rather have RG3 because he's simply the better athlete and the better QB. But Barkley isn't far behind.

Blaine Gabbert:
Strengths:

Excellent size and strong arm

Can make all the NFL throws with accuracy and touch

Decent mobility, quickness, and speed for a big quarterback

Throws accurately on the run

Has a fairly quick release

Reads defenses well at the line of scrimmage

Rarely tries to force the ball into receivers who are covered

Great leadership skills

Tough guy who is willing to play through nagging injuries

Blaine Gabbert:

10 games played

48.5% completion

6 tds

6 ints

5.19 ypa

qb rating 62.2

Yeah, I remember watching tape of him last year when we were rumored to draft him. And thinking the draft "evaluations" for his strengths were dead wrong. He definitely could not make "all the NFL throws with accuracy and touch", he very rarely ever even tried to put touch on the ball.

His quick release only happened when he could set his feet beforehand, which means it's not a quick release. His release was much longer when moving around. The great leadership skills thing is hilarious, there was a Mic'd up segment of him with the Jaguars, god it was awful. He does not come across as a leader at all.

I'm a little skeptical about Barkley. The last two great USC QBs have played below average in the NFL. I'm talking about Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez. Carson Palmer is the last great QB from USC that wasn't a bust although the jury is still out on Sanchez. Judging from what I've seen of Barkley, he is indeed worthy of a top tive or top 10 draft choice. But I'd rather have RG3 because he's simply the better athlete and the better QB. But Barkley isn't far behind.

Don't forget about Matt Cassel either. I will, however say this. Sanchez and Leinart were/ are both a bit immature. They have a rap for not being dedicated to Football, and goofing off and partying.. I have heard that Barkley is a little more down to earth than those two. He has the tools, but if you see character/ immaturity concerns, run like the wind.

• 3 weeks later...
Could someone with the insider please post what McShays updated mock looks like.

Thanks

Indianapolis Colts

Record: 1-13

Andrew Luck*, QB, Stanford

Luck is a once-in-a-generation quarterback prospect, and Colts legend Peyton Manning will be 36 next season and is coming off multiple neck surgeries. Given the financial implications, it looks like the smart decision is to draft Luck and part ways with Manning.

St. Louis Rams

Record: 2-12

Matt Kalil*, OT, USC

The Rams need to better protect the investment they made in 2010 No. 1 overall pick QB Sam Bradford, and current LOT Jason Smith has not lived up to expectations as the No. 2 overall pick in 2009. Given Kalil's size and athleticism, he is ready to step in right now and take over at left tackle.

Minnesota Vikings

Morris Claiborne*, CB, LSU

Claiborne is the premier cover corner in the 2012 class, and the Vikings rank 30th in the NFL in pass defense (260 ypg). He has size, fluid hips, good top-end speed and outstanding body control, and he excels at locating and attacking the ball over his shoulder.

Cleveland Browns

Record: 4-10

Trent Richardson*, RB, Alabama

Richardson is a more complete back than former Crimson Tide teammate Mark Ingram, the No. 28 pick to New Orleans in 2011. Richardson has a rare combination of size, speed, power, agility, burst and versatility, and is the rare exception to the don't-take-an-RB-in-the-top-10 rule.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

The Jaguars have a pressing need at defensive end, and while Coples is not a speed rusher, his blend of size, power and quickness allows him to be a productive pass-rusher (17.5 sacks the last two seasons) and disruptive against the run.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Dre Kirkpatrick*, CB, Alabama

Ronde Barber is aging and Aqib Talib's future is up in the air, so Kirkpatrick makes sense. He flashes good instincts in off-man coverage, is physical in run support and has great size. Kirkpatrick is not elite in man-to-man coverage, but he's made huge strides in the last two seasons.

Washington Redskins

Record: 5-9

Robert Griffin III*, QB, Baylor

Finding a quarterback is a must for the Redskins, and this will be an interesting call if Griffin and USC's Matt Barkley are still on the board. Barkley would make sense, but it might be hard for Washington coach Mike Shanahan to pass on a dynamic athlete like Griffin.

Indianapolis Colts

Record: 1-13

Andrew Luck*, QB, Stanford

Luck is a once-in-a-generation quarterback prospect, and Colts legend Peyton Manning will be 36 next season and is coming off multiple neck surgeries. Given the financial implications, it looks like the smart decision is to draft Luck and part ways with Manning.

St. Louis Rams

Matt Kalil*, OT, USC

The Rams need to better protect the investment they made in 2010 No. 1 overall pick QB Sam Bradford, and current LOT Jason Smith has not lived up to expectations as the No. 2 overall pick in 2009. Given Kalil's size and athleticism, he is ready to step in right now and take over at left tackle.

Minnesota Vikings

Morris Claiborne*, CB, LSU

Claiborne is the premier cover corner in the 2012 class, and the Vikings rank 30th in the NFL in pass defense (260 ypg). He has size, fluid hips, good top-end speed and outstanding body control, and he excels at locating and attacking the ball over his shoulder.

Cleveland Browns

Trent Richardson*, RB, Alabama

Richardson is a more complete back than former Crimson Tide teammate Mark Ingram, the No. 28 pick to New Orleans in 2011. Richardson has a rare combination of size, speed, power, agility, burst and versatility, and is the rare exception to the don't-take-an-RB-in-the-top-10 rule.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

The Jaguars have a pressing need at defensive end, and while Coples is not a speed rusher, his blend of size, power and quickness allows him to be a productive pass-rusher (17.5 sacks the last two seasons) and disruptive against the run.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Dre Kirkpatrick*, CB, Alabama

Ronde Barber is aging and Aqib Talib's future is up in the air, so Kirkpatrick makes sense. He flashes good instincts in off-man coverage, is physical in run support and has great size. Kirkpatrick is not elite in man-to-man coverage, but he's made huge strides in the last two seasons.

Washington Redskins

Record: 5-9

Robert Griffin III*, QB, Baylor

Finding a quarterback is a must for the Redskins, and this will be an interesting call if Griffin and USC's Matt Barkley are still on the board. Barkley would make sense, but it might be hard for Washington coach Mike Shanahan to pass on a dynamic athlete like Griffin.

Wow, McShay actually makes sense for once.

Don't forget about Matt Cassel either. I will, however say this. Sanchez and Leinart were/ are both a bit immature. They have a rap for not being dedicated to Football, and goofing off and partying.. I have heard that Barkley is a little more down to earth than those two. He has the tools, but if you see character/ immaturity concerns, run like the wind.

I like this mock draft -- makes us realize that not everybody is desperate at QB like we are.

I want Barkley. Should RG3 might have more upside but I also see him as more of a risk. Barkley is definitely not a can't miss, but he has more time at USC than Sanchez and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Downsides are maybe his size and the fact that he has great WRs supporting him now.

For those following along, this is incorrect. Vick almost pulled a Cam Newton his last year at Tech, almost single handedly beating one of the best Nole teams Bobby ever put on the field. As with Cam, Vick willed his team to the National title game. None of that with RGIII.

Vick was the unanimous #1 draft pick coming out much like Luck is today or Bradford was two years ago.

Make no mistake. RGIII is not the better prospect in the eyes of the NFL. "Prospect" being the key word.

While I'm not trying to say RGIII is the best, I think this is a tough comparison. Both Auburn and VT has had ranked teams for years and both tend to have strong defenses. In the last 15 years Baylor has a record of 43-107, including 20-17 with RGIII at the helm (4-8 as a true freshman).

I do think that RGIII preformance in the game against Oklahoma matches up with the NC games, at least in terms of RGIII carrying a team to a victory. It was the first time Baylor had ever beaten Oklahoma.

Is he better than them, I don't know...not trying to be a scout. I do think the Heisman Trophy winner will be shooting up draft boards just like Cam did last year (he was in the 10-15 range up until the combine if I remember correctly).

Blackmon will go to either St. Louis or Jacksonville. And to be honest with you, us picking that far down makes me worry we'll lose RG III.

I agree, I don't see RG III lasting that long so maybe we will have to trade up a few spots. I'd be very happy if our draft ended up like your mock Tarantula. I do see us adding a few more picks like last year though.

Archived