Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider (McShay) 2012 Mock Draft - Skins #3 pick - Matt Barkley QB

Rypien1191

I like this mock draft -- makes us realize that not everybody is desperate at QB like we are.

I want Barkley. Should RG3 might have more upside but I also see him as more of a risk. Barkley is definitely not a can't miss, but he has more time at USC than Sanchez and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Downsides are maybe his size and the fact that he has great WRs supporting him now.

Forget all this risk stuff. Upside trumps Barkley Safeness. We have a coach that offensive coach. He knows how to get the best out of his QBs. I have no worries of a QB busting under him. Especially with all the talent RG3 has. So Eff safe cause none are safe I go with the talent and I'm pretty sure Mike thinks the same.

Beating Minnesota could be disastrous, I really hate this position and hope the Redskins are never in it again. It is just not fun but the Redskins have to get RG III or Barkley and I'd prefer not to mortage the farm, a win over Minnesota we're probably 10 or 11 and falls behind Miami.

Forget all this risk stuff. Upside trumps Barkley Safeness. We have a coach that offensive coach. He knows how to get the best out of his QBs. I have no worries of a QB busting under him. Especially with all the talent RG3 has. So Eff safe cause none are safe I go with the talent and I'm pretty sure Mike thinks the same.

Most people will go with the crazy athlete with the good arm and thats sometimes what gets teams in trouble.

But i'd rather have a QB with a average to above skillset but reads coverages,throws on time and has all the intangibles you look for in a leader.

And I love RG3 and Barkley i've studied both alot the last 2 weeks so its not a shot at RG3.

I agree, I don't see RG III lasting that long so maybe we will have to trade up a few spots. I'd be very happy if our draft ended up like your mock Tarantula. I do see us adding a few more picks like last year though.

We could definitely use a few more picks, which I'm sure Shanny and Allen will work on come draft day.

Does Barkley have those attributes?

Yes.

Maybe RG3 does as well but it can't show in the offense Baylor runs. He does'nt have to make reads or munipulate safetys on a consistent basis. He stays in the gun and has a great running game to run action off of. He only has to read half the field and very rarely progresses thru more then 2 reads. He is great at scrambling around buying time for one of his big play wideouts to break free.

RG3 your projecting can he fit in my timing based offense? Can he make quick decisive decisions on 3 step and 5 step drops and get the ball out.

With Barkley I think his percieved weaknesses will showup in workouts and either cause more doubts or solidify his stock. Will he be big enough? Will he show scouts he can make all the throws? If those answers are yes then I stay put and keep my draftpicks and take him.

Something alot of people don't realize is this offense is timing based and requires you to throw on time to areas of the field, wide recievers have to be precise route runners.

Barkley has that built in clock and sometimes he can make mistakes because of it like with a fumbled snap, he knows the timing is messed up and will rush to get it out.

I said it before and I'll say it again pry Ryan Mallett from the Pats he is the perfect Shanny Qb 6'6 238 strong arm and pro ready

He sure is, except for this part: "Due to his long legs, Mallett struggles to reset his feet when forced to step up or shuffle outside the pocket, making him a slower and significantly less accurate passer on the move. Mallett's slow, heavy feet were confirmed with a pedestrian-like 5.37-second 40-yard dash at his Pro Day. Mallett's below-average athleticism means he doesn't fit in the West Coast offense and any other scheme that asks the quarterback to roll out. He fits in best in a traditional deep passing offense similar to the ones used by the Dallas Cowboys and San Diego Chargers."

does anyone out there have an Insider ESPN account? It would be cool if we could get a copy/paste job to see where they have us ranked and who we're now projected to take.....

Anybody? Anyone? Bueller?

**Edit: Doh! Just read the last page, sorry mods :)

---------- Post added December-21st-2011 at 04:32 PM ----------

Dang, how in the world are the Buccaneers so bad?! I would have put them in the playoffs for sure this year, young team too.... shouldn't have put the cancer of Fat Al on their team

They have cancer all over the organization in Fat Al, Lagarrette "let me have my friends mug you" Blount and Aqib "play myself out of the league" Talib. Their coach is a dead man walking. On the plus side, they're great fade material the rest of this year if you're into gambling.

. And to be honest with you, us picking that far down makes me worry we'll lose RG III.

This doesn't concern me at all. Just look at Shanny's history. If he sees a QB that he really likes, he will do what it takes to get him. He jumped up to get Cutler and no one knew it was coming. Even when he made the trade, for the slot, no one expected Cutler. It's all going to depend on if Shanny really really likes one of them.

Am I the only one who finds it funny that McShay and others call Luck a once in a generation type QB when the team who will likely draft him (Indy) drafted another once in a lifetime QB less than 15 years ago? Either generations are getting much shorter or the Colts franchise is the luckiest on the planet.

As much as I would like for the Redskins to draft Robert Griffin III, I doubt if they will. Just knowing how much of a micro manager Mike Shanahan is, he's going to go with a safer draft choice, which would be Matt Barkley. Barkley has prior experience of running a pro style offense at USC. The only knock on Barkley is his arm strength, something that the conditioning coaches will look to improve upon. The remaining aspects of Matt Barkley's game is excellent near flawless.

on ESPN this morning they were talking the value of the #1 overall. Shefter and Kiper were saying that three #1's and two #2's would be a fair price....and started talking about the Elway trade. But was it that much for Eli and Vick?

I don't see the Skins going for #1 overall after maybe a few feelers. But for the rights to RGIII or Barkley, I could see them packaging their #1 and maybe trying giving a #3/#4 along with a player or two. Moss, Hall, somebody like that. Give Bradford or Ponder another weapon and let them move back a few spots. That's like 3 picks and a player.

on ESPN this morning they were talking the value of the #1 overall. Shefter and Kiper were saying that three #1's and two #2's would be a fair price....and started talking about the Elway trade. But was it that much for Eli and Vick?

I don't see the Skins going for #1 overall after maybe a few feelers. But for the rights to RGIII or Barkley, I could see them packaging their #1 and maybe trying giving a #3/#4 along with a player or two. Moss, Hall, somebody like that. Give Bradford or Ponder another weapon and let them move back a few spots. That's like 3 picks and a player.

Kiper for one, has hitched his wagon to Luck, so I can believe he'd think that was a fair price. I personally wouldn't trade three 1's and two 2's for anyone.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2011 at 11:12 AM ----------

I heard on the Sportsfix recently the idea of taking a QB in the 1st and then again in the 4th or 5th. Question is....what QB's will be around then? I guess that's a nice insurance policy is your 1st rounder is a bust or gets injured.

They've got to develop some depth at the QB spot in general, whether it be the draft or somewhere else. I wouldn't have a problem with drafting two QBs.

Kiper for one, has hitched his wagon to Luck, so I can believe he'd think that was a fair price. I personally wouldn't trade three 1's and two 2's for anyone.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2011 at 11:12 AM ----------

They've got to develop some depth at the QB spot in general, whether it be the draft or somewhere else. I wouldn't have a problem with drafting two QBs.

Kiper also hitched his wagon to Clausen and Quinn. So, I was more interested in what Shefter was saying. Kiper to me is clown shoes with a fresh haircut.

Archived