Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider (McShay) 2012 Mock Draft - Skins #3 pick - Matt Barkley QB

Rypien1191

the RGIII hype is becoming the most ridiculous thing ever. people talking like hes the #2 overall draft pick by miles, yet no mock has him going even close to that. hell, mcshay who is considered a very respectable and knowledgeable draft guy has him listed at #21 overall, and the 4th best QB.

at this point the RGIII hype is worse (at least on this board) than the luck hype ever was.

Let's say Luck came out this year and we traded the rest of our draft for him. No Kerrigan, Jenkins (he'll be bock), Hankerson, Paul, Helu, Royster, Nield, Gomes.... Would you trade all those guys next year for Luck? I wouldn't. The Skins have done enough mortgaging the future in the past 15 years.

Let's say Luck came out this year and we traded the rest of our draft for him. No Kerrigan, Jenkins (he'll be bock), Hankerson, Paul, Helu, Royster, Nield, Gomes.... Would you trade all those guys next year for Luck? I wouldn't. The Skins have done enough mortgaging the future in the past 15 years.

Tough call. Would you trade all of those guys for a 21 year-old Peyton Manning?

Yes.

the RGIII hype is becoming the most ridiculous thing ever. people talking like hes the #2 overall draft pick by miles, yet no mock has him going even close to that. hell, mcshay who is considered a very respectable and knowledgeable draft guy has him listed at #21 overall, and the 4th best QB.

at this point the RGIII hype is worse (at least on this board) than the luck hype ever was.

I like RGIII a lot but I couldn't agree more.

You sound stupid. Go listening to a real scout Wes Bunting and you will know why he has hype.

I like RGIII a lot but I couldn't agree more.

its pretty crazy. all the sudden he just came out of nowhere and is the savior of the skins. i dont even remember talk about him last year at all, yet i vividly remember barkley/jones/luck all being viewed as the big 3 awesome prospects that we needed to wait for. then all the sudden he has a great year in a gimmicky offense where he takes 90% of his snaps from shotgun, most draft experts have him viewed still has the 4th best prospect (right around tannehill) and everyone is acting like hes the only possible QB for this team if we dont take luck.

I wouldn't if I can get the next Steve Young and future Pro Bowlers with him.

This is a fairly obvious statement. I assume you are referring to RGIII and still having other picks to use. I don't believe RGIII is currently being viewed as the next Steve Young by anyone not on this board. He's a great prospect and I'd be excited to select him but I agree with Brand Lloyd Christmas, which I don't do that often, that his hype on here is ridiculous.

its pretty crazy. all the sudden he just came out of nowhere and is the savior of the skins. i dont even remember talk about him last year at all, yet i vividly remember barkley/jones/luck all being viewed as the big 3 awesome prospects that we needed to wait for. then all the sudden he has a great year in a gimmicky offense where he takes 90% of his snaps from shotgun, most draft experts have him viewed still has the 4th best prospect (right around tannehill) and everyone is acting like hes the only possible QB for this team if we dont take luck.

I was the highest guy on this board for Cam Newton last year. I saw "it". I admittedly haven't seen as much from RGIII but did see his Oklahoma game. I think he's a great prospect but people in here are acting like he's the second coming and then damning you if you don't agree. Very cult of Coltish. Much different from last year with Gabbert vs Locker vs Newton debates. Not sure what's up with the crowd this year. People are putting him ahead of Luck and saying it isn't close. I mean, it's out of control.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 12:36 PM ----------

I wouldn't if I can get the next Steve Young and future Pro Bowlers with him.

No offense, but Steve Young is no Peyton Manning. ;)

I was the highest guy on this board for Cam Newton last year. I saw "it". I admittedly haven't seen as much from RGIII but did see his Oklahoma game. I think he's a great prospect but people in here are acting like he's the second coming and then damning you if you don't agree. Very cult of Coltish. Much different from last year with Gabbert vs Locker vs Newton debates. Not sure what's up with the crowd this year. People are putting him ahead of Luck and saying it isn't close. I mean, it's out of control.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 12:36 PM ----------

No offense, but Steve Young is no Peyton Manning. ;)

Yeah I know that but they do got the same amount of superbowl rings. ;)

exactly, couldnt have said it better. its like if i dont want him im:

1. a racist

2. an idiot

3. know nothing about football

but you said it best man. out of control is the best way to describe it. and its much different than last years debates. and ill get flamed for this but i dont care, i seriously think people saw what mike vick did last year (he became a pocket passer at times and still incorporated his running style) and they see that in griffin and are so drawn to it that theyre going ga ga.

exactly, couldnt have said it better. its like if i dont want him im:

1. a racist

2. an idiot

3. know nothing about football

but you said it best man. out of control is the best way to describe it. and its much different than last years debates. and ill get flamed for this but i dont care, i seriously think people saw what mike vick did last year (he became a pocket passer at times and still incorporated his running style) and they see that in griffin and are so drawn to it that theyre going ga ga.

No its people like you that say people like me see MIKE VICK and then we see RG3 like him. Its not and if you really study him he's a PASSER. It the fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. You people are getting fooled not us. When a QB throws DIMES 40 yards every game its not that he can run its he can pass. What don't you guys get about it? In the first game of the season he didn't throw one not two but three perpect deep passes vs TCU. How many has Barkley even thrown this year that was perfect deep passes. Then if you just say its a fluke or it was just his day he do it the next game. Oh and then if you say all he just hot those two games he goes out and do it again and again. He has put up good numbers every game. He has the best accuracy on deep passes that people have seen in a while. But you want to keep comparing him to Mike Vick. Why? Cause he can run? But is Mike throwing like RG3? Isn't that what a QB suppose to do? Pass right, and this season he is having a better passing season than Barkley and Luck. People want to compare Luck to Peyton because he making calls at the line how hard is that? Is Luck carrying his team? How is he carrying a team when he has the second best LT in college, the Best RG in college, one of the best TEs in college, and a running game that ran for 300 yards in a game. Has Peyton have that? Has Peyton have the best line in the league? Has he have a great running game? What makes Peyton is he carries a team. I don't doubt Luck will be a Franchise player but the hype of him is too much. I don't see those WOW throws. Griffin has a WOW throw every game. EVERY GAME!

No its people like you that say people like me see MIKE VICK and then we see RG3 like him. Its not and if you really study him he's a PASSER. It the fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. You people are getting fooled not us. When a QB throws DIMES 40 yards every game its not that he can run its he can pass. What don't you guys get about it? In the first game of the season he didn't throw one not two but three perpect deep passes vs TCU. How many has Barkley even thrown this year that was perfect deep passes. Then if you just say its a fluke or it was just his day he do it the next game. Oh and then if you say all he just hot those two games he goes out and do it again and again. He has put up good numbers every game. He has the best accuracy on deep passes that people have seen in a while. But you want to keep comparing him to Mike Vick. Why? Cause he can run? But is Mike throwing like RG3? Isn't that what a QB suppose to do? Pass right, and this season he is having a better passing season than Barkley and Luck. People want to compare Luck to Peyton because he making calls at the line how hard is that? Is Luck carrying his team? How is he carrying a team when he has the second best LT in college, the Best RG in college, one of the best TEs in college, and a running game that ran for 300 yards in a game. Has Peyton have that? Has Peyton have the best line in the league? Has he have a great running game? What makes Peyton is he carries a team. I don't doubt Luck will be a Franchise player but the hype of him is too much. I don't see those WOW throws. Griffin has a WOW throw every game. EVERY GAME!

look at this post. youre freaking out about how amazing griffin is. he throws DIMES!!! hes got the best deep ball in history!! everyone else is surrounded by 1st rounders but griffin is the best QB ever and if you dont agree youre an idiot!!

again mike vick last year was a passer first, which is what i think a lot of people see in griffin. vick was throwing DIMES last year to djax regularly but could still take off when needed.

oh well, the hype machine for griffin is gonna grow and get even bigger, im glad youre on the train, i just doubt he ends up here.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 01:11 PM ----------

When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

lol, poor guy, he likes griffin so much he cant even form a coherent sentence. look what griffins hype is doing to peoples grammar!

People want to compare Luck to Peyton because he making calls at the line how hard is that?

That is not the only reason people compare Luck to Peyton, as you probably well know but you are going hyperbolic in your post. But to answer the question above: hard. To do it and be successful the QB has to read what the defense is doing to a tee, quickly decide what play best exploits the weakness of what the defense is doing, call the play, get to the line, make adjustments to protections or audible to something else if he sees the defense shifting to a different look, make sure everyone is adjusted, and get the snap off before the play clock winds down. Many NFL QBs can't and don't do that. Pretty much zero college QBs do.

look at this post. youre freaking out about how amazing griffin is. he throws DIMES!!! hes got the best deep ball in history!! everyone else is surrounded by 1st rounders but griffin is the best QB ever and if you dont agree youre an idiot!!

again mike vick last year was a passer first, which is what i think a lot of people see in griffin. vick was throwing DIMES last year to djax regularly but could still take off when needed.

oh well, the hype machine for griffin is gonna grow and get even bigger, im glad youre on the train, i just doubt he ends up here.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 01:11 PM ----------

lol, poor guy, he likes griffin so much he cant even form a coherent sentence. look what griffins hype is doing to peoples grammar!

When you say Mike Vick is that a bad thing? Never said he got the best deep ball in history. Just said he's better than the other 2 QBs that are Elite. Never said he's the best QB ever either. People don't see Mike Vick in RG3. They see RG3! You still don't get it! Alot of people don't even associate Vick with RG3 only running. That's it. RG3 for one at the time coming out of college he is WAY better passer. More experience. Better student. I'm mean its so much more to RG3 than it is to Mike Vick. Mike could have been great if he had studied more and worked on his craft. He even said that. He just got out of prison and just now applying himself as a pocket passer. What 10 years from his draft year? But you want to compare him to RG3? As prospects RG3 is far superior to Vick coming out as a QB. Its not the hype its just the truth. Dude is that good.

Robert Griffin III is doing things at Baylor that Michael Vick never did at V Tech. When Vick was in college, he wasn't completing a high percentage of his passes, and he wasn't throwing a minimal amount of INTs in comparison to throwing a bunch of TDs. Griffin III's deep ball is much like that of former Redskin Mark Rypien. Vick and Griffin III are only similar in terms of scrambling.running ability when you compare them both on the collegiate level.

But all in all, Robert Griffin III is a more complete quarterback in the NCAA than Michael Vick was.

maybe it's just me, but i see more Steve Young than Mike Vick when i see RGIII. He has better intangibles, work ethic, and a better overall mind than Mike Vick. Vick forces passes and will get shaky when the pocket collapses. RGIII, like Steve Young, will keep their composure a bit more, if there's nothing else at all, then that's when he creates something out of nothing...like Steve Young...the only common denominator between Mike Vick & RGIII is speed and race...just saying...

That is not the only reason people compare Luck to Peyton, as you probably well know but you are going hyperbolic in your post. But to answer the question above: hard. To do it and be successful the QB has to read what the defense is doing to a tee, quickly decide what play best exploits the weakness of what the defense is doing, call the play, get to the line, make adjustments to protections or audible to something else if he sees the defense shifting to a different look, make sure everyone is adjusted, and get the snap off before the play clock winds down. Many NFL QBs can't and don't do that. Pretty much zero college QBs do.

Let me tell you something it not hard. You find out who the Mike LB is. You find out if it man or zone. If the Safetys are 15 yards from the line you can autible to a run. Alot of formation and stuff can tell you this anyways. Motion your RB out of the backfield and if the LB follows its man, if he doesn't its zone. Blitz pickup have a hardcount you can find who jumps. Call for the WR to hot route. This is some stuff I do know. I'm pretty sure a Master Degree student can learn all the stuff he needs to know to be a great QB in the NFL. Robert is on the Dean's List and got a Master's in 4 years, while playing QB and running track. I have no doubt he can figure that out. Its not hard. For us who its not our job to know but I just laid basic stuff and I haven't played a lick of QB.

Archived