Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider (McShay) 2012 Mock Draft - Skins #3 pick - Matt Barkley QB

Rypien1191

1.pngCleveland Browns

2010 record: 5-11 | Needs: ROT, OLB, CB, OG, WR

cle.gif

Andrew Luck*, QB, Stanford

Luck is a once-in-a-decade kind of talent with all the tools to be an elite NFL quarterback. He returned to Stanford for the 2011 season even though coach Jim Harbaugh moved to the NFL, and the team with the No. 1 overall pick in 2012 should trade its existing quarterback to draft Luck. He's that good. If not, the pick will be up for public auction.

2.pngCarolina Panthers

2010 Record: 2-14 | Needs: WR, DE, OLB, CB, RB

car.gif

Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

Coples is a 6-foot-6, 255-pound end with great versatility. He explodes off the ball, is powerful and quick and was all over the field in 2010.

3.pngWashington Redskins

2010 record: 6-10 | Needs: QB, DL, ILB, WR, CB

was.gif

Matt Barkley*, QB, USC

Barkley came into his own in 2010, showing natural anticipation and more consistency. He also emerged as a strong leader.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=mcshay2012mock

Not much confidence in us putting together a good season out there.

Outside of QB, why is DL always a "need" for this team? Heck we will be in year 3 of a 3-4 defense next year and can't find 3 "starters" to play along each other?

Because we haven't drafted one in the first round since Kenard Lang in . . . .1997 I think.

Vinny once articulated his D-Line "strategy," which basically went that you could get castoffs, low-round projects and journeyman, and just "coach them up" and as long as the linebackers and secondary are good, your D-Line will be fine.

Worse than the Bills? Really? Based on what? Oh right...this was based off noted Skins-basher Matt Williamson. Who gave SF a pass for taking Aldon Smith over Robert Quinn based on his health issues (and Blaine Gabbert), but said he couldn't condone the Skins doing the same by trading down and ultimately ending up with Ryan Kerrigan and a bevy of picks; adding a much needed infusion of youth.

No one in their right mind would say this is a good Redskins team. They deserve to be criticized. But, make your logic work. Williamson repeatedly rips on the Redskins, while crediting other teams for doing some of the same things...

I've said it before but we will draft our QB of the future in 2012.

Shanahan isn't tanking the season for Luck, but he does recognize the talent in the 2012 QB draft class and that's why he passed on Gabbert and decided to get more picks and build the defense this year.

We're finally building a team the right way and as much as it may suck right now, it will take a few seasons before the seeds start to bloom. We upgraded the team for sure in this draft and infused the team with youth, but we didn't add any fancy picks in a vain attempt to make us an overnight contender. Shanahan is building this team one piece at a time which takes time, therefore we'll be in position to draft a Matt Barkley or Landry Jones next April and that's fine by me.

Outside of QB, why is DL always a "need" for this team? Heck we will be in year 3 of a 3-4 defense next year and can't find 3 "starters" to play along each other?

Is your issue with the media's portrayal or that we always lack DL?

For myself, I don't think it will really be the latter. Cause I think we'll have a very solid DE-NT-DE group then. Nothing spectacular, no huge playmakers, just guys that know their assignments and do it well. They won't get many stats, but I think their play will cause our linebackers to produce pro-bowl caliber stats.

We arent going to tank for Luck....but I do think we will be in the top 5 next year with a better team than last year ....I know that sounds strange but last year we won some close games due to our vets (and yes we did blow some close games to)...I think next year we r unfortunately going to be on the other side of that score board however unlike this years team we r going to be improving with younger players who will contribute for years to come

As far as the 2012 draft is concerned I think everyone who is bashing us for not taking Gabbert or any qb will regret it .......next years class will be amazing and Gabbert would of easily been the 4th rated qb in the 2012 class

btw for the OU fans how does Landry Jones compare with Sam Bradford in college

btw for the OU fans how does Landry Jones compare with Sam Bradford in college

Does anyone compare to Bradford, who was the best prospect coming out since Peyton IMHO.

Ever since he stepped in for the injured Bradford, his progress has been rapid. Real strong arm, with great accuracy, both from under centre and on the run with a real quick release, if a little strange in mechanics. He always seems to know the best place to go with the ball ya' know? And Stoops O has a lot of pro comparisons to it that requires a bunch of tough throws. By no means the finished product, but a fantastic talent that by all accounts works his tail off to get better as per his coaches and teammates.

This year will be real big for him as up to press, despite great numbers, he's kinda' been overlooked and underated. Now the attentions really gona' step up.

Hail.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think we're going to be that bad.

Definitely not "3rd pick in the draft" bad.

No way in hell are we that bad.

I mean, have these mock drafters even checked out the schedule? We play the NFC West, the Panthers, Vikings, Bills, and Dolphins. The only tough teams outside of our division are the Pats and Jets.

At the very least we'll be better than we were last season.

Every year in the past decade or more we were forecast to be in the hunt we failed badly. Perhaps we can surprise and give a good showing.

If we go 9-7 make Shanahan "Coach of the year"

I do not see much that makes me feel we will be a competitive team at this time.

Questions at almost every position.

A lack of leadership among the players. London Fletcher and Chris Cooley are the ones that come to mind.

Most the players on our roster have no experience with what it takes to win in the NFL.

We are year 1 in a REAL rebuilding campaign. 2010 was the end of the fix it quick and try to win now mentality.

I just hope the Owner and we the Fans can allow Allen and Shanahan the time to do this right.

Archived