Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider (McShay) 2012 Mock Draft - Skins #3 pick - Matt Barkley QB

Rypien1191

Not sure I follow you. You dont have confidence in any QB drafted but you would give up every pick we have... to draft a QB??

Yea I didn't word that very well. I don't trust any qb, this is correct, but I realize the importance of drafting one. I guess after Heath shuler, Patrick ramsey, and jason campbell, I'm a little freaked out. So while I don't trust drafting a qb, I do actually trust Luck. The guy is amazing, I'm ok with this risk.

LL I am sure you know what you are talking about, but I don't think the guy was out of line or deserves this hazing. Remember we are all on the same team. If the Skins make the right choice, we all win. If they choose poorly, we all suffer. Disagreements aside nothing we believe or say is going to make a damn bit of difference on draft day. As Redskin fans we should want to buy a guy a beer not bash him.

LL I am sure you know what you are talking about, but I don't think the guy was out of line or deserves this hazing. Remember we are all on the same team. If the Skins make the right choice, we all win. If they choose poorly, we all suffer. Disagreements aside nothing we believe or say is going to make a damn bit of difference on draft day. As Redskin fans we should want to buy a guy a beer not bash him.

Seriously, the animosity about which prospect is better is getting out of control. I understand people are frustrated that this is all we have to tall about in November (sigh), but these prospects still have a long road ahead including more games, bowls, combine, pro-days, and individual workouts.

There is yet much to discover.

You might want to watch RG3 a little more closely.. .

With the Colts at the top no way do i see them taking RGIII...however if any other team is up there i would def see them considering RGIII. Look how Cam's draft stock took off after the season. At times he was projected to go to us at 10. RGIII is going to blow scouts away at the combine and personal workouts.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 07:28 AM ----------

Awesome!! I like him A LOT and dont think he compares at all to Eli. Would be very happy if he's still there when we pick.

The two NFL quarterbacks I've heard Matt Barkley compared are Jimmy Clausen and Mark Sanchez. When people talk about Robert Griffin III, they say he's somewhere in between "a bigger, more accurate" Mike Vick and "a smaller" Cam Newton. If that's the case, then I think it's safe to say I'd much rather have RG3 in D.C. next season. Not only because we've never had anything like him on the Redskins, but because he's exactly the type of leader this team needs on the field and as the face of the franchise. Maybe I'm biased because of my military background, but the fact that both of his parents are Army noncommissioned officers (so he knows a thing about discipline and teamwork) makes him that much more appealing to me.

Basically, he's been my mancrush of the college season for months now and I'm going to be as bummed about missing out on him as I was about Ryan Williams.

I think almost all of us would like RGIII over anyone else (maybe some people would take Luck, I wouldn't) but i dont think he's going to be there after last weeks win and possibly another one this week and against the Vikes. Might have to trade up a lot to get him.....not sure if Shanny and Bruce will do that...But if the Rams are sittting there @ 2 i would give them a call.

The two NFL quarterbacks I've heard Matt Barkley compared are Jimmy Clausen and Mark Sanchez. When people talk about Robert Griffin III, they say he's somewhere in between "a bigger, more accurate" Mike Vick and "a smaller" Cam Newton. If that's the case, then I think it's safe to say I'd much rather have RG3 in D.C. next season. Not only because we've never had anything like him on the Redskins, but because he's exactly the type of leader this team needs on the field and as the face of the franchise. Maybe I'm biased because of my military background, but the fact that both of his parents are Army noncommissioned officers (so he knows a thing about discipline and teamwork) makes him that much more appealing to me.

Basically, he's been my mancrush of the college season for months now and I'm going to be as bummed about missing out on him as I was about Ryan Williams.

YES! Please RG3! I have a feeling Barkley will be good, yet pretty pedestrian and not blow anybody away at the NFL level. He appears to me to be solid, but no potential to be great. RG3 has that factor where he could be a HUGE superstar if his potential pans out. Same with Luck. As for Tannehill and the lower guys, not so sure I haven't looked at them much yet. But going to a school in the FBS division (JMU) I saw a quarterback in competition from Eastern Washington that I think should be getting some looks as a lower round pick low risk high reward guy. He his putting up 400 yds 4+ td games like its nothing. He is probably another Colt Brennan with the system and slinging the ball around but Bo Levi Mitchell could be a steal as an UDFA just to look at. He was highly recruited coming out of college and transfered away from a D1 school where he was going to be the back up. Hopefully I didn't stray away from the topic too much...

Lol, cuz apparently all football knowledge in the world is only available on espn and nfl network. Just because you're ignorant to what a lot of people that pay attention to this stuff say doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Go check out Wes Bunting (legit draftik) who literally says on his twitter that the only QB that could give Luck a run for his money is RG3. We're not your servants to provide you the information you don't seek.

I dont think Savannah looks at NFL.com either cause Bucky Brooks wrote a thing on RG3 and basicly said the samething Wes said. He's going to be a top ten pick. And could possiblly compete with Luck.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 07:53 AM ----------

I think almost all of us would like RGIII over anyone else (maybe some people would take Luck, I wouldn't) but i dont think he's going to be there after last weeks win and possibly another one this week and against the Vikes. Might have to trade up a lot to get him.....not sure if Shanny and Bruce will do that...But if the Rams are sittting there @ 2 i would give them a call.

I think we had our feel good last week. We will go back to the losing ways. We still have to play Giants, Philly, NE, Jets, and Vikes(rookie qb)

I think we had our feel good last week. We will go back to the losing ways. We still have to play Giants, Philly, NE, Jets, and Vikes(rookie qb)

Yea, i thought that too but if Rex can put a few games together i can see us beating the Vikes and with how bad the Giants are playing they might checkout when it comes time to play us. After last weeks beating and the beatdown they are going to get this week.

Yea, i thought that too but if Rex can put a few games together i can see us beating the Vikes and with how bad the Giants are playing they might checkout when it comes time to play us. After last weeks beating and the beatdown they are going to get this week.

Look I am a Redskins to I die but I just want them to put out effort and lose close. I just think we need our QB with those other picks we got. The one person that scares me of us winning two or three more games is Trent. I think he is coming on now. I really think he has put it together where Grossman don't even have to worry about that side. I know I got to worry about the other side but you can double the other side. Trent don't need help no more. And then our running game Helu is going to run hard and he is very even kile. He is a star in the making and I'm scared he about to breakout now when the dang season is basicly preseason. I want our QB and RT and CB and G and ILB. You know what I mean.

Look I am a Redskins to I die but I just want them to put out effort and lose close. I just think we need our QB with those other picks we got. The one person that scares me of us winning two or three more games is Trent. I think he is coming on now. I really think he has put it together where Grossman don't even have to worry about that side. I know I got to worry about the other side but you can double the other side. Trent don't need help no more. And then our running game Helu is going to run hard and he is very even kile. He is a star in the making and I'm scared he about to breakout now when the dang season is basicly preseason. I want our QB and RT and CB and G and ILB. You know what I mean.

Hey man, before last week i didn't think we would win another game...and i was fine with it. I want a top QB just as much as anyone else. But Rex is so up and down and our D has played really well all year. If Rex can limit the TO's and Helu can keep this up i dont see us losing this week, to the Vikes or the Giants. Which would be good and bad. We prob lose out on our QB that we need SOOOOO bad but if we are winning b/c they young guys are playing good well i can deal with that. Maybe just have to trade up to get our guy. Shanny turned very few picks into a lot of picks last draft. Maybe he and Bruce can work their magic again....

Hey man, before last week i didn't think we would win another game...and i was fine with it. I want a top QB just as much as anyone else. But Rex is so up and down and our D has played really well all year. If Rex can limit the TO's and Helu can keep this up i dont see us losing this week, to the Vikes or the Giants. Which would be good and bad. We prob lose out on our QB that we need SOOOOO bad but if we are winning b/c they young guys are playing good well i can deal with that. Maybe just have to trade up to get our guy. Shanny turned very few picks into a lot of picks last draft. Maybe he and Bruce can work their magic again....

Yeah I get what you saying. And you know I didn't want us to win this past week. But I can't but be more proud of them. I just can't help but smile. But I think I can deal with them losing right now when I know we are so close of not just getting our QB but getting him with a whole draft too. Imagine getting the QB without trading up and still a whole draft with this FO. We can probably get RG3 or Barkley and still have 9 or 10 draft picks with that. That could perpell us to danasty in the NFC East. Especially when the other QBs in our division is in their 30s.

He hasn't decided yet. This is a formality for almost very junior who is contemplating declaring for the draft.

"As of now, I'm still 50-50. I haven't decided. I haven't even begun that process of looking at either side. I'm still enjoying this season, enjoying last week's win against UCLA. Starting next week, I'll really dive into that. I still have some school left and some finals. So once those get out of the way and I can focus on the decision, that's where my attention will be," Barkley said.

I'd rather take Griffin III over Barkley... but I'm warming up to maybe waiting till Round II and selecting Keenum.

With normal franchises I'd agree... but we can't "settle" anymore. If our guys falls to round 2, perfect, but I think we should do whatever is required to get "our guy". Too many years where the QB position was "The Problem".

Don't get it twisted. I'd still favor Luck over anyone in this draft. It's not even close.

Luck plus a trade up in my mind is better than Barkley or RGIII without the trade up.

I've seen him compared to Matt Ryan, which I would take in a heartbeat. He doesn't seem like the arrogant prick Clausen had the reputation of being coming out and I think he has a better carreer at USC than Sanchez.

Two things in the ESPN Scouting Report that really stand out (granted it is McShat, so take it with a grain of salt):

A very discipline and religious individual. A natural leader who kept team together in amidst of former Coach Pete Carroll leaving for the Seattle Seahawks and the program being handed down severe sanctions by the NCAA in the off-season before the fall of 2010. Was the first sophomore in USC history to be named team captain in 2010. Understands the necessary sacrifices both on the field and in the weight and film room to be successful at the position. Holds a career mark of 17-7 in 24 starts through first two seasons. Matt and his family have spent recent Christmas' volunteering with orphans in third world countries.

And...

A polished prospect that possesses a high football IQ and shoulders a tremendous amount of responsibility conducting a pro-style offense. Possesses great field awareness and has a thorough understanding of game situations. Processes information quickly both with pre and post-snap. Sees the entire field and consistently can get to second and third progressions. Savvy and can manipulate coverage with pump fakes. Oblivious to the rush and will sit in the pocket and make throw under duress. Calm and executed well working against pressure. Can anticipate throwing lanes. Needs to cut down on interception total. To his defense several INTs were due to a lack of communication or drops by receivers.

I'd rather take Griffin III over Barkley... but I'm warming up to maybe waiting till Round II and selecting Keenum.

Please no. High probability bust. I'm too tired of losing to gamble on a 2nd, or in this case 3rd tier prospect and hope he gets good three years down the line, suffering five more years of losing if he doesn't.

Shanallen needs to not get cute. Trade up for Luck. Call it a day.

You know why I think he gets those LAZY comparisons?

He kinda looks like Clausen and replaced Sanchez. I think that's where the comparisons end.

Archived