Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider (McShay) 2012 Mock Draft - Skins #3 pick - Matt Barkley QB

Rypien1191

Look, I totally understand the desire to have a top flight passer in burgundy and gold but I take issue with those who say "the game has changed" and "this is a passing league now". Unless the weather patterns have changed drastically in DC in the last 20+ years, the game for the Redskins will not have changed that much!

Joe Gibbs said it years ago. If the road to the superbowl is going through DC (like we all wish it would), then it's going through some very ugly weather in December & January and you better be able to run the ball and stop the run. This is and will be the formula for winning the NFC East, playoff games and championship titles for the Washington Redskins.

And the good news is you don't need aerial theatrics to get that done. A good, heady game manager will suffice and even better yet, you can take that formula on the road in December & January andI win anywhere in the league under any conditions.

The game hasn't changed as much as some would have you believe.

Recent super bowl passing teams would disagree with this.

I'll also say I rarely have any confidence in any quarterback drafted. Personally I'd trade anything to get Luck. The entire 2011 draft for andrew luck.

Not sure I follow you. You dont have confidence in any QB drafted but you would give up every pick we have... to draft a QB??

Look, I totally understand the desire to have a top flight passer in burgundy and gold but I take issue with those who say "the game has changed" and "this is a passing league now". Unless the weather patterns have changed drastically in DC in the last 20+ years, the game for the Redskins will not have changed that much!

Joe Gibbs said it years ago. If the road to the superbowl is going through DC (like we all wish it would), then it's going through some very ugly weather in December & January and you better be able to run the ball and stop the run. This is and will be the formula for winning the NFC East, playoff games and championship titles for the Washington Redskins.

And the good news is you don't need aerial theatrics to get that done. A good, heady game manager will suffice and even better yet, you can take that formula on the road in December & January and win anywhere in the league under any conditions.

Somewhat agree, but the same could be said for the Green Bay Packers, playing in the NFC North (ok, 2 teams do have domes, but they don't and neither do the Bears), but still they have Aaron Rogers and had Brett Favre, and that turned out pretty well for them.

Let's toss in the New England Patriots as well. They have to play in some nasty weather. They play outside. Brady is a pretty good fit out there.

Pittsburgh also. Have to be able to run and play defense. But having Big Ben allows them to do a lot of different things.

There's no reason you can't have a top flight QB and still be able to run the ball and play good defense.

Recent super bowl passing teams would disagree with this.

Yeah, like pretty much all of them to some degree, including a team like the Giants who still needed Eli Manning to catch fire in 2007 postseason to win. In cold weather (not including SB, of course) and in that duel vs. the Patriots to close out the season.

And the good news is you don't need aerial theatrics to get that done. A good, heady game manager will suffice and even better yet, you can take that formula on the road in December & January and win anywhere in the league under any conditions.

the game has changed a ton because 1) the rules have changed to make it more favorable to pass the ball 2) need to run in bad weather? umm ever watch green bay in december at lambo? New England at gillete? ect.. 3) more and more offenses in college are going to spread offenses and instead of the NFL continuing to convert they have adapted along with the new rule changes.

yes you have to be able to run and stop the run but in this day in age its pass to get the lead and run to finish the game.

the game has changed a ton because 1) the rules have changed to make it more favorable to pass the ball 2) need to run in bad weather? Umm ever watch green bay in december at lambo? New england at gillete? Ect.. 3) more and more offenses in college are going to spread offenses and instead of the nfl continuing to convert they have adapted along with the new rule changes.

Yes you have to be able to run and stop the run but in this day in age its pass to get the lead and run to finish the game.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

LL56 Ive seen you all about RGIII on here and Twitter. Do you know something? And dont mean this as a threat, but if we DO draft him...I will find you and give you a big hug and a kiss lol.

haha thank god your stuck in wisconsin :) Shanny wont take a qb in the first unless he is special and super bowl worthy and i only see 2 and a possibled 3rd prospect in this draft.

No its not. No way a team picks RG3 over Luck.

Luck is not the messiah of qbs if you know what your looking for. When the 2012 draft rolls around Luck/RgIII will be heavily debated by draftniks and fans just like it already is by NFL scouts. Drafts dont always go as planned and players always get picked higher then some anticipate due to the buzz words " ceiling" and "potential" .

Luck is not the messiah of qbs if you know what your looking for. When the 2012 draft rolls around Luck/RgIII will be heavily debated by draftniks and fans just like it already is by NFL scouts. Drafts dont always go as planned and players always get picked higher then some anticipate due to the buzz words " ceiling" and "potential" .

Yep.

Jerod Mayo and Tyson Alualu both jump out to me.

Exactly, skinsfanindall. I don't get this sudden mancrush for the guy. He's been damn impressive, sure. But a better pro prospect than Luck? Not buying it. And won't be buying it in April, no matter how great he continues to play.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 01:03 AM ----------

I think a lot of the sudden mancrush for Griffin has to do with how well Cam has played. But that's just it, he's not Cam. They aren't even comparable, really.

Gimme me Luck or Barkley any day. Especially Luck. But we're probably not gonna be in the Luck sweepstakes.:(

Landry Jones is not a pro-prospect. If we draft him at any point, I'll throw up in my mouth and choke to death.

Landry Jones is the truth. He may not have the upside of Sam Bradford or Andrew Luck, but the kid can play quarterback. He's projected by all mock drafts I've seen to be a top five selection. He's certainly a tremendous upgrade over Beck and Grossman.

Cant trade down and still get RG3 because at this point its really Luck/RG3 tied at the top.

Luck is the clear cut #1 pick. RG3 still has a lot of question marks. Your truly only dreaming if you believe Luck and RG3 is tied. He looks good no doubt about it but to say they are tied is just not true. He probably comes to the combine at 6'1 not the 6'2 he is listed at which will hurt his value (not that it should, but it will) Still 5 months out but Luck, Barkley then RG3. He goes to Miami around pick #5 at best IMO.

Landry Jones is the truth. He may not have the upside of Sam Bradford or Andrew Luck, but the kid can play quarterback. He's projected by all mock drafts I've seen to be a top five selection. He's certainly a tremendous upgrade over Beck and Grossman.

I'm an OU fan, but I am not a fan of Jones. He makes too many boneheaded mistakes at crucial times. While he is an upgrade over Rex and Beck, there are several other QBs I'd rather have ahead of Jones.

haha thank god your stuck in wisconsin :) Shanny wont take a qb in the first unless he is special and super bowl worthy and i only see 2 and a possibled 3rd prospect in this draft.

lol...hopefully everyone knew I was joking...not sure what Dro89 was saying lol. I would just be ecstatic if we end up with RGIII. A guy who can run like Vick, but throws like Brees just makes me have fantasies about Super Bowls!

Exactly, skinsfanindall. I don't get this sudden mancrush for the guy. He's been damn impressive, sure. But a better pro prospect than Luck? Not buying it. And won't be buying it in April, no matter how great he continues to play.

I think a lot of the sudden mancrush for Griffin has to do with how well Cam has played. But that's just it, he's not Cam. They aren't even comparable, really.

Gimme me Luck or Barkley any day. Especially Luck. But we're probably not gonna be in the Luck sweepstakes.:(

Robert Griffin is a better passer at Baylor than Cam Newton was at Auburn.

sudden mancrush? some of us have been on griffin since the begining of the football season. I can understand you saying luck but Barkley isnt in the same talent class as RG3. You realize that Prominant NFL people are starting to come out and talking about RG3 revolutionizing the way the qb position is played in the NFL. You might feel its a stretch but people who get paid to do this for a living dont.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 06:20 AM ----------

Luck is the clear cut #1 pick. RG3 still has a lot of question marks. Your truly only dreaming if you believe Luck and RG3 is tied. He looks good no doubt about it but to say they are tied is just not true. He probably comes to the combine at 6'1 not the 6'2 he is listed at which will hurt his value (not that it should, but it will) Still 5 months out but Luck, Barkley then RG3. He goes to Miami around pick #5 at best IMO.

you Barkley people are amazing lol knock RG3 for his size at 6-2 220 BUT Barkley is listed at 6-2 220. Ive posted many of Barkleys games and just dont see anything that says special to me.

Archived