Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TPM: Orange Co. GOPer Says Obama-As-Chimp Pic Was Just A Joke Meant For Friends

Destino

Do you not see the problem? Don't you recall all the racist propoganda through the years depicting blacks/African Americans as apes?

It was a stupid joke by the Orange county official and what you posted is not any better.

Then I guess you can label me a racist if you feel it necessary. You're free to judge me as you wish, but I'll still know that I'm not a racist and that's enough for me.

I don't care. If we want racial equality we have to move on. Remember but don't dwell.
It's a lot easier for those whose parents and grandparents didn't face those insults to "move on." Telling people that you don't care and that they should get over it doesn't usually change a lot of minds.

You may not be a racist, but you certainly come off as callous and racially insensitive if your attitude is "I don't care."

It's a lot easier for those whose parents and grandparents didn't face those insults to "move on." Telling people that you don't care and that they should get over it doesn't usually change a lot of minds.

You may not be a racist, but you certainly come off as callous and racially insensitive if your attitude is "I don't care."

Very good. Thank you!!

It's possible that you are completely wrong.

Most people are terrible at self-analysis.

You know what's funny about this post?

You are quite confident that you are right' date=' and he is wrong. Yet you find it plausible he is a failure at self-analysis, all the while assuming you are correct in [i']your[/i] self analysis.

I think PP is wrong in this thread. I just find it absurd how many people on ES are so quick to inform people that because they feel a certain way about a situation, the other is so clearly flawed in their thinking. Yet the other person can feel the exact same way. Who's right? Who's wrong? Is it possible you are both right?

Other famous apologies in history:

I'm sorry if my statement offended anyone. I simply found it amusing regarding the way those women basketball players look. In no way did I even consider the fact they're black when I said it. In fact, the thought never entered my mind until one or two other people tried to make this about race. We all know a double standard applies regarding female basketball players. I hear plenty of statements about white girls that I didn't particularly like yet there was no 'cry' in the media about them. One only has to go to Youtube or Google Images to see a plethora or lampooning videos and pictures of blacks. That being said, I will NOT resignover this matter that the average person knows and agrees is much to do about nothing. Again, for those select few who might be truly offended by what I said to a select list of friends and acquaintances, unlike the liberal left when they do the same, I offer my sincere apologies to you--the statement was not meant for you. For any of my friends or acquaintances who heard my statement and were truly offended, please call me so I may offer a sincere verbal apology to you.

-Don Imus

I'm sorry if my eating corpses offended anyone. I simply found it a proper way to dispose of bodies. Waste not. In no way did I even consider the fact that they might not want to be eaten. In fact, the thought never entered my mind until one or two other people tried to make this about canibalism. We all know a double standard applies regarding food. I received plenty of recipes for venison that I didn't particularly like yet there was no 'cry' in the media about them. One only has to go to Youtube or Google Images to see a plethora recipes involving all sorts of creatures. Again, for those select few who might be truly offended by simply hearing about how I ate my victims, unlike tigers in the Roman Coliseum when they do the same, I offer my sincere apologies to you. .

-Jeffrey Dahmer

Dude, Hitler was way worse.

-Stalin

You know what's funny about this post?

You are quite confident that you are right, and he is wrong. Yet you find it plausible he is a failure at self-analysis, all the while assuming you are correct in your self analysis.

I don't recall ever analyzing myself. Though, when I do analyze myself, I am usually correct. Also, I hate myself so that helps.

Is it possible you are both right?

No. Not possible.

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 02:50 PM ----------

Oh sure. You certainly know more about him than he does. :rolleyes:

How many racists say, "You know what? I'm a racist!"

Not right, I agree.

However, no more wrong then these.

It's not different and I can say as I remember many on the left being upset about it. No more right then the President Obama image IMO. What say you?

1) I'll admit that I remember seeing that last one. (Or something similar.)

2) OTOH, what percentage of people, you figure, look at that last picture and think that the poster is attacking Bush because he's white?

And what percentage of people, you figure, look at the Obama picture and think that it's done because he's black?

Analogy:

Someone makes a joke about W eating fried chicken and watermelon.

Someone makes a joke about Obama eating fried chicken and watermelon.

It's pretty obvious to anybody but the most partisan that the second person is attacking Obama's race, and the first person isn't.

I thought we weren't supposed to see color.

And I don't believe any of you if you say you didn't at least chuckle at the picture. You don't have to be racist to think it's funny.

Honestly, I didn't find it one bit funny. And I consider my self pretty open minded when it comes to comedy and such. This one just wasn't very funny (nor are many of the Bush/Cheny ones).

It's not different and I can say as I remember many on the left being upset about it. No more right then the President Obama image IMO. What say you?

Glad to see you just caught on.

Go find a black person and call him a monkey. See what happens.

After you get out of the hospital, go find a white person and call him a monkey. Then post about the confused look you got.

Why is this so ****ing hard to understand?

I thought we weren't supposed to see color.
You must have missed a memo. Because in the 21st century, you're supposed to celebrate diversity and embrace our multicultural heritage. Cops, airport screeners, and referees are not supposed to see color. But for the rest of us, we're supposed to recognize race, but only in a positive way.
And I don't believe any of you if you say you didn't at least chuckle at the picture. You don't have to be racist to think it's funny.
I think the cringe factor prevented me from laughing. But I do think that, in general, putting peoples' faces on animals can be funny.

Humor can be very tricky. Bush making funny faces like a monkey is funny. Obama having big ears is funny. Obama's parents as apes ... not so funny.

Honestly, I didn't find it one bit funny. And I consider my self pretty open minded when it comes to comedy and such. This one just wasn't very funny (nor are many of the Bush/Cheny ones).

I always found those Bush-Monkey pictures funny, because - well - he looked like a monkey in each of them.

Here's a question: Has anyone here ever seen Breakfast At Tiffany's? It's a lovely movie featuring the most Audrey Hepburnish performance Audrey Hepburn ever gave.

I also find it unwatchable because of Mickey Rooney's caricature of an Asian man in it. Some things are simply not funny.

You'd be wrong with your first sentence. (Maybe with your second one, but I'm not certain. I suppose that a non-racist might think the Obama/chimp picture is funny, if he were sufficiently bat**** partisan.)

But to me, the Obama pic is nothing but racism. And the only one of ABQ's contribution's that's kind of funny is the last one. And to me, the only eason it's funny is the skill that the person put into matching the pictures.

1) I'll admit that I remember seeing that last one. (Or something similar.)

2) OTOH, what percentage of people, you figure, look at that last picture and think that the poster is attacking Bush because he's white?

And what percentage of people, you figure, look at the Obama picture and think that it's done because he's black?

Analogy:

Someone makes a joke about W eating fried chicken and watermelon.

Someone makes a joke about Obama eating fried chicken and watermelon.

It's pretty obvious to anybody but the most partisan that the second person is attacking Obama's race, and the first person isn't.

Irrelevant. What's more insulting, let me see? Making a joke about somebody who is black being akin to a monkey or somebody making a joke about a white person akin to a money? Somebody making a joke about a black person and a watermelon or somebody making a joke about a white person being gay or being a mass murderer?

What is more insulting, the double standard that says it's OK to laugh at a white person being compared to a monkey or the one that says you can't laugh at it if it's a black man?

IMO, you can't defend that kind of rederick no matter what color or gender. It's not right either way but it's even worse when you allow it and celebrate it on the one hand, only to condemn it later because of what? Is that not another form of prejudicial behavior? Honest question here, all politics aside.

Archived