Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TPM: Orange Co. GOPer Says Obama-As-Chimp Pic Was Just A Joke Meant For Friends

Destino

It's possible that you are completely wrong.

Most people are terrible at self-analysis.

It is true that self-analysis can be a difficult thing. I'd think racism would be pretty easy to know if you are. That is' date=' by how I'd define it, as judging people solely on their race or at least a majority of judgment, I suppose. What may be less easy to identify are one's racial biases. That is a more subconscious thing that can be difficult to spot. Is it possible I have racial biases? I'd like to think my biases are based on how somebody presents themselves rather than on the color of their skin; the way they dress, body language, facial expressions... subtle things like that. However, as I get to know somebody, those initial judgments give way to observation of personality.

as a quick aside, Demetri Martin's If I is a great comedy piece delving into his experiences in life over-analyzing every little detail of himself.

I thought we weren't supposed to see color.

And I don't believe any of you if you say you didn't at least chuckle at the picture. You don't have to be racist to think it's funny.

Ironically, I didn't find it all that funny.

Because there are never any racial implications when you call a black person a monkey.

Here is a test.

Walk down the street. Look for a white baby. Tell the mother: "That's a cute little monkey you have there."

Now do the same with a black mother.

Tell me how that works out.

So if a coach plays a game with kids where the winner of said game gets to pick an animal for the rest of the players to imitate and winner picks a monkey, the black kids and their parents could be offended? Where do we draw the line?

Go find a black person and call him a monkey. See what happens.

After you get out of the hospital

Interesting.

So black people are so prone to violence that ANY that you talk to are going to hospitalize you over words.

Ladies and gentlemen, this lesson on how not to stereotype has been brought to you by LKB. :ols:

I thought this was going to be a thread that would die a quick death. Why? Because I thought the offensive nature of the e-mail was so apparent, that every poster would agree that the email was offensive and move on. I guess I was wrong and the right-leaning board members rushed to the defense of author of the e-mail. Are conservatives really perplexed as to why they have an image problem with "the coloreds."

PS - Just to be perfectly clear, I don't think anyone who has posted in this thread is a racist. I just think some people are either playing devil's advocate or being willfully ignorant.

Glad to see you just caught on.

Go find a black person and call him a monkey. See what happens.

After you get out of the hospital' date=' go find a white person and call him a monkey. Then post about the confused look you got.

Why is this so ****ing hard to understand?[/quote']

I think you have a big enough job speaking for yourself. I'm certain you are incapable of doing it for both of us. Alas, I am sad to see that you have yet to catch on. All things in time I suppose.

:Go find a black person and call him a monkey. See what happens." Where do you suggest I start? Should it be at my brother-in-laws house do you think? Should it be at my nieces house where she will be married to a black man this June? Should it be to my half black/half hispanic newphew and nieces? Should it be with the many black men I've served with or perhaps the black men and women I work with?

Take good care it is not you who finds yourself in need of attention.

As to why it's so hard to understand, I don't know. I guess for some, and just so there is no confusion here, I'm talking to you, it takes a little longer to get what going on. It's not right and color has nothing to do with it. Those kinds of generalities are the problem.

I think you have a big enough job speaking for yourself. I'm certain you are incapable of doing it for both of us. Alas, I am sad to see that you have yet to catch on. All things in time I suppose.

:Go find a black person and call him a monkey. See what happens." Where do you suggest I start? Should it be at my brother-in-laws house do you think? Should it be at my nieces house where she will be married to a black man this June? Should it be to my half black/half hispanic newphew and nieces? Should it be with the many black men I've served with or perhaps the black men and women I work with?

Please call them up and call them a monkey, and see if they are offended. Also send them the Obama photo and ask them whether they think it is racist. Please report back tomorrow. Thanks.

Go find a black person and call him a monkey. See what happens." Where do you suggest I start? Should it be at my brother-in-laws house do you think? Should it be at my nieces house where she will be married to a black man this June? Should it be to my half black/half hispanic newphew and nieces? Should it be with the many black men I've served with or perhaps the black men and women I work with?

Yes. That's a good start. Go up to your brother in law and say.

"You know something? I can't believe I let my sister marry a monkey like you."

I would like to meet the black friends of all the white people who claim to have friends. That would be a fun experiment.

"Are you friends with Jerry?"

"You mean that dumb cracker I work with?"

I always find it fun when members of one race tell members of another race what they should or should not find insulting and/or racist. This thread however takes it one step further. We also have people arguing that this particular racist joke is equally insulting when done it was done to a white person.

What is the diet plan for dealing with an obese ego?

Please call them up and call them a monkey, and see if they are offended. Also send them the Obama photo and ask them whether they think it is racist. Please report back tomorrow. Thanks.

Amazing. Sure, I would make them the butt of a joke so that you can feel adequate in your position. I know you can not be that short sided as to miss the entire point. It would not be right to hurt my family or friends just as it is not right to do it to anybody, regardless of color. But you knew that didn't you?

And out comes the "my best friend is black'. :ols:

I'm going to start calling that ahead of time in ninja text.

What else are you supposed to do when idiots demand "proof" that you're not a racist? (Keep in mind that you can't "prove" a negative. They know that, and that's precisely why they do it.)

Then THEY turn around and drop a stereotype themselves, but ask others to be more introspective? It's very difficult to logically debate that kind of lunacy.

I thought this was going to be a thread that would die a quick death. Why? Because I thought the offensive nature of the e-mail was so apparent, that every poster would agree that the email was offensive and move on. I guess I was wrong and the right-leaning board members rushed to the defense of author of the e-mail. Are conservatives really perplexed as to why they have an image problem with "the coloreds."

PS - Just to be perfectly clear, I don't think anyone who has posted in this thread is a racist. I just think some people are either playing devil's advocate or being willfully ignorant.

Gotta stand up for my team!!!!

Yes. That's a good start. Go up to your brother in law and say.

"You know something? I can't believe I let my sister marry a monkey like you."

I would like to meet the black friends of all the white people who claim to have friends. That would be a fun experiment.

"Are you friends with Jerry?"

"You mean that dumb cracker I work with?"

I believe I've already pointed out that you are incapable of speaking for me. Likewise and perhaps more so, giving me any good advice. It is sad to me that you don't see what is clearly in front of you.

It would not be right to hurt my family or friends just as it is not right to do it to anybody, regardless of color. But you knew that didn't you?

So, you never joke with your family and friends? You've never gone to a 50th birthday party where someone put together a humorous PowerPoint?

You've never busted your black brother in law's balls?

You sound like a lot of fun.

Where the **** does this happen?

And' date=' yes, I would probably not let that happen.[/quote']

I'm sure it happens all over the place, my kids soccer(U6) team does stuff like this all of the time as a way of rewarding the winner , while keeping things fun. I guess "monkey in the middle" should be banned from playgrounds as well?

I believe I've already pointed out that you are incapable of speaking for me. Likewise and perhaps more so, giving me any good advice. It is sad to me that you don't see what is clearly in front of you.

My advice is generally pretty solid.

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 03:41 PM ----------

I'm sure it happens all over the place, my kids soccer(U6) team does stuff like this all of the time as a way of rewarding the winner , while keeping things fun. I guess "monkey in the middle" should be banned from playgrounds as well?

The original title of Agatha's Christie's "And Then There Were None" was "Ten Little ******s" which was later changed to "Ten Little Indians."

Ten Little ******s was a perfectly cute little rhyme. We should bring it back.

If there are eleven kids playing "Monkey in the Middle" and one of them is black...and he happens to be the one in the middle...if I were a teacher, I would keep my ears open.

And if I had an all white team that had just beaten a team with a lot of black kids, I would not make the black kids make monkey noises. It's probably fine, but why be an ******* if you don't have to be? Make them act like puppies or something.

The problem with these threads is everyone wants the right to act like an ******* with impunity.

Amazing. Sure, I would make them the butt of a joke so that you can feel adequate in your position. I know you can not be that short sided as to miss the entire point. It would not be right to hurt my family or friends just as it is not right to do it to anybody, regardless of color. But you knew that didn't you?
You asked which is more insulting.
What is more insulting, the double standard that says it's OK to laugh at a white person being compared to a monkey or the one that says you can't laugh at it if it's a black man?
But it sounds like you already know the answer.

My advice is generally pretty solid.

Then you should probably consider heeding your own council. I am not inclined to find it as such.

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 02:44 PM ----------

You asked which is more insulting. But it sounds like you already know the answer.

Well, since you bring it up, which is more insulting? Is it less insulting to make a certain gender or ethnic group the butt of your jokes then it would be another group? I mean, you can't defend that kind of behavior because if you allow it in any setting, you've allowed it in every setting. It's wrong thinking in my mind.

Well, since you bring it up, which is more insulting? Is it less insulting to make a certain gender or ethnic group the butt of your jokes then it would be another group? I mean, you can't defend that kind of behavior because if you allow it in any setting, you've allowed it in every setting. It's wrong thinking in my mind.

That's clearly insane.

You can make jokes about black people. You can make jokes about white people. Saying that Obama looks like Dumbo with those ears is fine. Saying that Obama golfs a lot is fine. Saying that he looks like a nerd when he plays basketball in sweat pants is fine.

Calling him a monkey is entering into a really sketchy territory.

I don't think the Dan Snyder-City Paper case has any merit. And, frankly, I had forgotten that Dan Snyder was Jewish. But there is a history behind his argument that drawing horns on Jewish people is a traditional anti-Semitic thing to do. I don't think the artist was thinking of him as a Jew when he drew that picture, so I don't think the claim is worth arguing behind that. But - in retrospect - it was probably something that someone should have thought of.

There is a reason that there are certain Bugs Bunny cartoons that are no longer shown. Black face is not really funny any more. Depictions of buck-toothed Japanese is not really funny. It's just an ugly stereotype that is being presented as if it were funny in and of itself.

Saying that George Bush is an ape carries no baggage.

Certain insults are more insulting to certain groups. I don't need to defend that behavior because it is reality.

Archived