Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Royal Wedding: Why???

Teller

I don't understand how the "royalty" hasn't been....I don't know, abolished? What's the word?

How do taxpayers not HATE that they pay for these people to live as literal royalty, for nothing in return (other than a figurehead and cause of tons of paparazzi)

I guess the only way that would happen is if the Queen refused Royal Assent; which although she technically could, she'd be going up against the government, who are far more powerful and run the show anyway's. She wouldn't dare take them on, as the only probable outcome would be for Parliament to abolish the Monarchy.

It's a messy and murky World.

Hail.

Honestly z? Wow, never thought I'd hear that about the Princess of Wales. She started off very demure and plain, but blossomed into a strikingly hot woman IMHO.

Just strictly on looks, I never got it. She looked manly to me. Large honker, adam's apple... :paranoid:

Anywho, no reflection on her as a person whatsoever. Don't know much about her but I understand lots of people thought she was great.

Because I grew up watching Disney Princess movies and listening to Snow White Sing:

Some day my prince will come

Some day we'll meet again

And away to his castle we'll go

To be happy forever I know

Some day when spring is here

We'll find our love anew

And the birds will sing

And wedding bells will ring

Some day when my dreams come true

LOL I found my prince but I still think it would be cool to watch a royal wedding to see what it is like etc.

I'd take exception to that and say although the streets will be lined for the wedding, which will put out a complete other perception, the reverence the Royal family holds in the hearts of most Britains is diminishing by the year. Your correct that it's a generation thing in terms of older people still having a real pride in them, but by and large their that aloof from the people of the Country that most have little interest in them these days. The Queen's disgraceful treatment of both Diana and the Duchess of York certainly played a big part into that, along with Charles continuing to act an A1 dick totally unbecoming of someone in his position.

Seriously, outside of saving us from a dictator, and bringing in untold bucks in tourism as the face of the Country to foreign visitors, I honestly don't see what purpose the Royals serve in the main in this day and age. And rightly or wrongly, that is becoming far more a common held opinion than not.

Back in '81 I remember great National pride at the last major Royal Wedding, with street parties laden with flags and bunting going on long into the night. There's nothing like that planned around the neighbourhood this time around.

Hail.

Well, of course I agree that the only position that the Royals hold is strictly ceremonial/symbolic (don't discount the national pride that is still attached with and to them). What you'll see is a lesser and lesser part of the population being enthralled with them as time goes by (though this seems to be slow to die out entirely). My point stands however : there simply is no counterpoint in standing in the United States to the Royal family (we can debate if this is good or bad). The closest thing that you'll find (in my mind) is celebrity worship here is the States. People literally camped out at the Oscars a week beforehand to glimpse their favorite film star. That kind of adoration, which may be the same thing with the Royals, will never vanish. People want to believe in heroes or celebs or Royals (and that they're somehow better or diffent than them). I guess that last part answers, in some degree, the OP's question/rant/thread.

Personally, I'm glad we don't have that universal adoration of our head of state here in the United States. This is a republic, after all. Our leaders should not only be held to a high standard, but watched carefully and open to criticism (though it should always be respectful). The entire idea of a monarchy troubles me. To think that one could be the head of a nation just by merit of birth.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is tivoing it. Which is fine with me, as long as she watches it while I'm doing something else. Like the women in this thread she's interested in the dress, etc.

I blame disney movies and pop culture. It's woven into their DNA to be interested in things like this :)

what wedding? a lot of people in england are not interested in this rubbish at all and we can have the day off without pay if our employers agree

well guys i'm working and looking forwrd to it

I have the day off but have the same attitude. One of the few reasons people give anymore is that they are good for tourism and thats about it. There are underlying historical links too that just dont work today, such as being Head of the Church of England, catholics banned from marrying in to the line and becoming Queen/King and so on. I would love to see the end of the whole thing. I'd take a republic right now, no problem.

what wedding? a lot of people in england are not interested in this rubbish at all and we can have the day off without pay if our employers agree

I have the day off but have the same attitude. One of the few reasons people give anymore is that they are good for tourism and thats about it. There are underlying historical links too that just dont work today, such as being Head of the Church of England, catholics banned from marrying in to the line and becoming Queen/King and so on. I would love to see the end of the whole thing. I'd take a republic right now, no problem.

Long ass post just to say that it is stupid. I don't think most of the US cares.

Unfortunately, several people in my office (my boss included) took the day off to watch this. I would complain, but I usually disappear around early August for the annual release of Madden so... lol

It's amusing that someone posted a huge post about how they don't care, and others rush to chime in . . . on a football board. Anyone who watched the draft last night (I watched about 30 minutes of it) can't be looking down their nose at royal-watchers.

It's amusing that someone posted a huge post about how they don't care, and others rush to chime in . . . on a football board. Anyone who watched the draft last night (I watched about 30 minutes of it) can't be looking down their nose at royal-watchers.

I'm not following your logic.

Exactly. The NFL draft is the most boring 3 hours on TV IMO.

OK, seriously. Can someone please explain to me why I should give two flying ****s about Prince Billy Bob's wedding? (I forget which one he is. Andrew? Of Persia? Albert in a Can?) Seriously. Why do we care about these people at all????

honeslty disgusts me ... the entire thing. how and why is this remotely important? The massive coverage it receives is a real indictment on soceity today man.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 10:35 AM ----------

good grief man ... you have never swung and missed so badley.

first this is the tailgate, second, the nfl draft is infinitely more interesting than watching a wedding. ANYTIME.

My wife, is far from a football fan and she was engrossed by the draft process, the drama surrounding picks not going where they should, the redskins selecting a player few thought they would ... etc. etc.

I agree with this. Just as much pomp and circumstance for something that is honestly pretty insignificant in the scheme of life.

OK, seriously. Can someone please explain to me why I should give two flying ****s about Prince Billy Bob's wedding? (I forget which one he is. Andrew? Of Persia? Albert in a Can?) Seriously. Why do we care about these people at all????

Isn't the royal family, afterall, like American racism on steroids?

lol wut

The entire OP was lol

Archived