Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Royal Wedding: Why???

Teller

I agree with this. Just as much pomp and circumstance for something that is honestly pretty insignificant in the scheme of life.

In the scheme of life, sure. In the scheme of MY life, you couldn't be more wrong. The Redskins are kind of important to me. Signed, Captain Understatement. :)

lol wut

The entire OP was lol

Thanks. :)

That's the way it was intended. I felt bad when I saw some of our friends across the pond posting in here. But I hope they know it wasn't intended to be at all sincere. Mostly. ;)

Thanks. :)

That's the way it was intended. I felt bad when I saw some of our friends across the pond posting in here. But I hope they know it wasn't intended to be at all sincere. Mostly.

A- sir.

But, I too wondered why people care especially here. I was asked what I was doing for the Royal Wedding by this lady and said wtf you talkin bout? I'll be at work. Her work is having a party for it. wtf?

I guess the number one thing it comes down to is tradition. And what you said earlier about women loving the whole real life fairy tale wedding princess/prince Charming thing has A LOT to do with it.

Conclusion: all women are disappointed with their own wedding ;)

I suppose its been mentioned, but the English paid some crazy amount in taxes to pay for this wedding.

Police overtime. As in security. That's what any tax money has gone on, on this wedding. Minimal to the total cost of the day, and FAR outweighed by the tourist revenue brought in for the event.

The Middleton's are millionaires in their own right, and they've covered the costs along with the Royal family. So I guess in effect British tax payers money has gone on protecting the head of State (and the crowds and foreign dignitaries); like US tax payers money contributes to protecting Presidents for the rest of their lives.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 01:16 PM ----------

I mean, if people care so much about the royals: save your pennies, get a one way ticket to London, become a UK citizen, and you can live under the thumb of a monarch for the rest of your life.. It's just like a fairy tale, right?

Thank you for the insight. I wasn't aware the Queen ruled the Country, or anyone for that matter. She reigns over 16 Country's, but has little to no say in what happens in any of them. In fact she hasn't held the title Queen of England since the 1700's.

I never realised we we're ruled by her .....

Hail.

I was curious about it and actually had Today on (just like we do every morning) while I was getting ready for work. I don't see why I have to either be crying and anticipating their first kiss or angered by the coverage. To me, the idea of the monarchy in England is very interesting to me, so I didn't mind watching it instead of whatever they normally discuss on Today.

But, I too wondered why people care especially here. I was asked what I was doing for the Royal Wedding by this lady and said wtf you talkin bout? I'll be at work. Her work is having a party for it. wtf?

I guess the number one thing it comes down to is tradition. And what you said earlier about women loving the whole real life fairy tale wedding princess/prince Charming thing has A LOT to do with it.

Really, if this weren't one of Princess Diana's sons getting married, I really wouldn't care and I certainly would not have stayed up the entire night watching coverage live from 2-8am. I adored Diana and her sons (the rest of the royal family can kiss my butt). And I really adore Kate Middleton and her famliy, they seem like very down to earth, normal, gracious people.

I thought it was fun to see all the fashionable guests with their "fascinators,' listen to the boys choir in Westminster Abbey, and finally get to see which dress and tiara Kate picked to wear!!

Plus, Kate and I have the same first and middle names. I could have been royalty!!!!! Damnit! :ols:

Conclusion: all women are disappointed with their own wedding ;)

Haha! Nah. I loved my wedding...it could have been a little less tornado-y...it would have been nice to be able to use my 4 ft. tall centerpieces my aunts, bridesmaids, and florists worked on the day before the wedding (that I got to design with hanging pearls and crystals), but all those centerpieces blew over and broke when the wedding planners tried to put them outside on tables, my cathedral length veil almost blew off my head and my MOH had to tuck it in to the back of my dress... But I didn't care about all that. In the end, I got to marry my own Prince Charming surrounded by all our loved ones. I would have had to have been Xanax'd out of my mind if I were Kate today...I was nervous enough with 300 guests at my wedding, if I had freaking 2 billion people watching me I would have not held up as well as Kate.

Why do people care that other people care so much?

That's always funny to me too. I never get why people made fun of us girls who liked the Twilight series. Who gives a ****? I have so much stress in my daily life and see so much death, desctruction, and misery on the news, it's fun to be able to get lost in things that make you happy and smile.

That's always funny to me too. I never get why people made fun of us girls who liked the Twilight series. Who gives a ****? I have so much stress in my daily life and see so much death, desctruction, and misery on the news, it's fun to be able to get lost in things that make you happy and smile.

I think people just like to be contrary to get a reaction out of others.

I will admit I watched 10 minutes or so of it. BFD. Take away my "man card". But you better hand it right back because I was totally checking out Kate's sister. She's fine. There's nothing wrong with watching an event like this. There's a lot of History involved in events like this. I'd rather watch this than another boring fireworks display. But you like to watch fireworks. Have at it. I won't judge you.

A person I work with and hold in very high regard who is British and a very conservative guy. I was surprised to hear him announce that he would be up all night to watch the ceremony and even more so that he was absolutely filled with national pride in talking about it. To be honest I've been so busy lately that I hadn't really paid it much attention. I saw this thread but being that I had no opinion either positive or negative never saw reason to click. I decided to look at some photos and a few videos today and I have to say that I am closer to understanding what all the fuss was about. What an absolutely beautiful ceremony! I'm a hopeless optimist when it comes to marriage and I can't help but zero in on the positive feelings while watching a wedding. The fact that this one is so elaborate and filled with things to look at was very cool. Some of the pictures look like living history.

Man points also awarded for leaving the and reception they climb into his dad's classic aston martin which runs on biofuel made from wine. The image of that car making it's way down a closed street still lined with police in formal uniforms and onlookers while a yellow helicopter (the kind he flew while in military service) hovered over head. That's just straight up bad ass.

I didn't have a negative reaction to it. Yeah it was expensive but it's a point of national pride. The world is filled with things to worry about and sometimes we're all just better off feeling good when the opportunity to do so arises.

What I don't understand is all the concern about this. So what if people find this to interesting? It would be like asking why so many people cared about the selection process for the last Pope. A lot of it is interest in history, traditions, and for some (especially the catholics in the case of the pope) its about faith.

What I don't understand is all the concern about this. So what if people find this to interesting? It would be like asking why so many people cared about the selection process for the last Pope. A lot of it is interest in history, traditions, and for some (especially the catholics in the case of the pope) its about faith.

Agree with you. There is a side of this that is here and now but the history and tradition is just very cool to see.

Agree with you. There is a side of this that is here and now but the history and tradition is just very cool to see.

Yep...I'm just kind of swept up in European culture and history. It blows my mind that a royal wedding in 2011 can take place in a church that is over 1,000 years old. That's an aspect of history that just doesn't exist in our country.

I think the best part about this is that William seems to be relatively level headed, was raised by a more progressive mother (meaning she actually paid attention to him and Harry), and that he's marrying a commoner. I'm confident that he'll be a great representative for England, and hopefully he and Kate can continue some of the work of his mother.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 04:22 PM ----------

by the way, the lineal succession can pretty much be traced back to this guy.

Egbert.jpg

Archived