Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Royal Wedding: Why???

Teller

So, seriously. Is this something that only women dig? Would you guys say "most" women are interested? Is it some sort of envy, bred from the fact that they were promised heroes on white stallions, and got beer guzzlers on their white asses?

Like penis envy, only with princes. :ols:;)

Maybe. I'd LOVE to be Kate Middleton!

It is also interesting because Prince WIlliam is the same age as me, and I felt like I've grown up with him, so to speak. We don't have this in our country, and princes and princesses are so far out there to us, it's kinda cool to see them "in real life."

Maybe. I'd LOVE to be Kate Middleton!

It is also interesting because Prince WIlliam is the same age as me, and I felt like I've grown up with him, so to speak. We don't have this in our country, and princes and princesses are so far out there to us, it's kinda cool to see them "in real life."

That's interesting that you say that...because that's part of the intrigue for me too. I grew up watching Princess Diana and her boys and I've paid attention to William and Harry's lives for as long as I can remember. It's something that we don't have in our country and it's kind of cool to watch unfold.

Now I get it. Duh.

Every woman wants to be a princess at some point.

Thus the interest from women. My lady is all about the gossip mags and stuff too, but she has very little interest in this event. My lady is already a princess.

I don't want a queen, they have something tucked in.

If you want to see an out-of-work leech get married to a gold-digger why not just follow Tom Arnold or something

Prince William is a pilot in the RAF. The future of the Royal Family is completely dependant on their ability to shed their "burden on the economy" reputation. Most of The Royal Family and I suspect future generations will see the armed forces and "defence of the realm" the best way to do that.

And hey. Stop bad-mouthing them or i'll be forced to slice you all from knape to chops!! ;)

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday, and we agreed, what the hell happened to Prince William anyway? Talk about falling off a cliff in the looks department. Wasn't he in People magazine's 50 most beautiful lists 5 or 6 years ago? Now he has a horribly receding hairline and is starting to really resemble his father, which is not a good thing. It's probably a good thing he's nailing Kate down now instead of waiting a few more years :ols:

Willie really did drop off in the looks dept. Under any other circumstances, I'd say he really outkicked his coverage w/ Kate. Harry is much better looking.

I don't think I'll wake up in the middle of the night to watch the wedding (I did wake up to watch Diana's funeral), but it's fun to read about. Most girls like a good "fairy tale" romance story now and then.

I just don't find Kate that hot. She's cute, but I've seen better.

William looks like his dad, so he's pretty much cursed.

Right...there's nothing wrong with Kate Middleton at all. But, if you just saw her out at a restaurant, you wouldn't fall over and consider her gorgeous. She's an attractive girl though, and kind of has that royal look to her.

Right...there's nothing wrong with Kate Middleton at all. But, if you just saw her out at a restaurant, you wouldn't fall over and consider her gorgeous. She's an attractive girl though, and kind of has that royal look to her.

I dunno, I think I would. She has that hot, classy thing going on.

On another note, I thought Princess Diana was attrocious looking.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 01:16 PM ----------

Wait. You've sucked me in. I'm talking about the royal family.

You sneaky ****s!!! AAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!1

/jumps off bridge

As someone who's half British (and who lived over there growing up) the adoration and adulation for the Royals is something that is striking. Not to mention a bit strange at times. I don't think there's an equivalent over here but the Royal family over there is held in very high regard. I've often thought about how unusal that life would be, here in the States attaining the White House comes with an expiration date. When you're born into Royalty there it's a lifetime appointment and you'll never really live any semblance of a normal life. I don't think it's really all that attractive if you look at it from that perspective. I think Diana was the link that really helped the Royals become more real for the common person over there, if you haven't lived there or know the culture I'm not sure you'd understand this fully.

On another note, I thought Princess Diana was attrocious looking.

Honestly z? Wow, never thought I'd hear that about the Princess of Wales. She started off very demure and plain, but blossomed into a strikingly hot woman IMHO.

On a separate but related note, I'm be NO means a royalist, and normally wouldn't give this wedding a second glance. But it's for the fact of Diana, and William being one of her boys, that I am. She was our Jackie Kennedy. In an age where the Royal Family means exceptionally little to the average Britain, given their that far removed from the man of the street it's unreal, Princess Diana was someone who totally bucked the trend. A great humanitarian, she was someone who you believed actually cared about the layman ya' know? Totally unpretentious, unlike her absolute dick of a husband; someone you could really relate to. A real woman of the people. I thought the tribute of William giving Kate her ring was real touching and somewhat perfect.

A real sad loss.

Hail.

deejay...is it universal adoration over there or do some people dislike the royal family?

Well, it's really kind of strange, the reverence (and that may be the best word to describe it) is almost universal for the Royals. Really. It's more noticeable among older people but by and large the people, the majority of them, simply love the Royal Family.

Well, it's really kind of strange, the reverence (and that may be the best word to describe it) is almost universal for the Royals. Really. It's more noticeable among older people but by and large the people, the majority of them, simply love the Royal Family.

That's pretty awesome...as has been mentioned, that's unlike anything you can ever see in the US.

deejay...is it universal adoration over there or do some people dislike the royal family?

Let's just say it's not universal. When one of the kids was born to either Charles/Diana or Andrew/Fergie the alternative newspaper 'Class War' had a picture with the headline 'Another ****ing Royal Parasite'. :ols:

The other thing that helps play into is the picture is that class structure and station is much more apparent and just different on the other side of the pond then it is here in the United States. This may have changed in recent times but I think it plays into the whole view of "Royalty" over there.

The other thing that helps play into is the picture is that class structure and station is much more apparent and just different on the other side of the pond then it is here in the United States. This may have changed in recent times but I think it plays into the whole view of "Royalty" over there.

Meaning that people are born into and generally more content with their station in life? If that mentality is prevalent, I could see how it would cut down on the envy that might run rampant over here.

I'd take exception to that and say although the streets will be lined for the wedding, which will put out a complete other perception, the reverence the Royal family holds in the hearts of most Britains is diminishing by the year. Your correct that it's a generation thing in terms of older people still having a real pride in them, but by and large their that aloof from the people of the Country that most have little interest in them these days. The Queen's disgraceful treatment of both Diana and the Duchess of York certainly played a big part into that, along with Charles continuing to act an A1 dick totally unbecoming of someone in his position.

Seriously, outside of saving us from a dictator, and bringing in untold bucks in tourism as the face of the Country to foreign visitors, I honestly don't see what purpose the Royals serve in the main in this day and age. And rightly or wrongly, that is becoming far more a common held opinion than not.

Back in '81 I remember great National pride at the last major Royal Wedding, with street parties laden with flags and bunting going on long into the night. There's nothing like that planned around the neighbourhood this time around.

Hail.

I think tolerance of the English Royal Family (good luck finding a lot of support in Scotland or Wales) varies with the economy, absent them really ****ing things up from a PR perspective as Charles and Lizzie have a habit of doing. Even Diana and Fergie were very unpopular during rough economic times in the 1980s as the expenditure of fashion, regular exotic vacations, expensive cars and party excesses touched a raw nerve. This largely predated any positive image from charitable work. Think the worst of Paris Hilton except the Hilton family aren't receiving over $50M each year from the taxpayer.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 02:48 PM ----------

Do they "make money" or do they live off of taxes? I'm ignorant...sorry!

They cost the taxpayers almost $70M per year directly.

I don't understand how the "royalty" hasn't been....I don't know, abolished? What's the word?

How do taxpayers not HATE that they pay for these people to live as literal royalty, for nothing in return (other than a figurehead and cause of tons of paparazzi)

Archived