Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AZC: Tennessee bill would jail Shariah followers

China

Tennessee bill would jail Shariah followers

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A bill in the Tennessee General Assembly would make following the Islamic code known as Shariah law a felony, punishable by 15 years in jail.

Two legislators introduced the same bill in the Senate and House last week. It calls Shariah law a danger to homeland security and gives the attorney general authority to investigate complaints and decide who's practicing it.

It exempts peaceful practice of Islam but labels any adherence to Shariah law - which includes religious practices such as feet washing and prayers - as treasonous. It claims Shariah adherents want to replace the Constitution with their religious law.

A dozen other states are considering anti-Shariah bills, and there's a federal lawsuit in Oklahoma over one.

Imam Mohamed Ahmed of the Islamic Center of Nashville said Islam teaches its followers to obey the law of the land. Shariah law, he said, teaches moral values.

"What do you mean, really, by saying I can't abide by Shariah law?" he said. "Shariah law is telling me don't steal. Do you want me to steal and rob a bank?"

The Attorney General's Office had no comment.

Click on the link for the full article

The Bachmann's, Palin's, and West's of America have a huge audience and are slowly taking conservatives further and further away from the center. At some point, they're going to take them right off a cliff.

If this thing passes (which it won't) there will be quite a few slick lawyers and DAs trying to jail Christians and Jews for "violating" Sharia

If people actually knew what Sharia is, they'd see its essentially very conservative Jewish law for the Arabs.

Which would really make this funny.

I am curious as to how many Muslims actually live in TN?

I don't see anywhere among them where its okay to hang gays, perform honor killings, etc.

YNC is back up to see fantastic videos of both from the religion of peace via Iran.

You do know, most of Islam's tenants are founded on the commandments...Or is your bias that blatant? No country today practices Sharia law as it was written in the koran, its been distorted by the cultures that have ****ized it...this is coming from someone who converted away from Islam so not like I want it to spread or anything.

Rep. Judd Matheny, the House speaker pro tempore and a Republican from Tullahoma, Tenn., said he is concerned that aspects of Shariah law might conflict with the U.S. Constitution, but he does not intend to criminalize practices such as the preparations for prayer or dietary rules. He said he would consider amending the bill before asking the legislature to consider it.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/02/23/20110223tennessee-anti-shariah-bill.html#ixzz1EpMzGGYn

Sounds like the usual idiocy over nothing.....They clearly plan to allow you to keep your non-violent,non-terrorist supporting parts of Sharia,just like I can keep my ins plan:silly:

I don't see anywhere among them where its okay to hang gays, perform honor killings, etc.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/7505660.cms

Guess the religion of the folks in this "honor killing"

---------- Post added February-23rd-2011 at 06:49 PM ----------

Sounds like the usual idiocy over nothing.....They clearly plan to allow you to keep your non-violent,non-terrorist supporting parts of Sharia,just like I can keep my ins plan:silly:

I am not sure what part of Sharia is "terror supporting"

I would like someone to actually provide me a copy of Sharia before making laws about it. Then we can start a discussion

At least read it if you're going to make fun :pfft:

I would say that if you agree with the findings at the beginning (I don't know enough about islam or sharia to have an opinion so I'd be interested to learn more... someone who knows more than I should be able to pick the findings apart), it builds up to a good set of reasoning for the activities that it actually does criminalize, which, to my untrained eye, doesn't match the article's title. (you'll have to click the link to the bill on page one to get that ;) )

The general assembly finds as follows:
(1) The threat from terrorism continues to plague the United States
generally and Tennessee in particular. The threat from terrorism has been
documented to exist both outside our national borders and within the homeland;
(2) The threat from terrorism within the homeland, including from within
this state, otherwise known as “homegrown terrorism,” is primarily the result of a
legal-political-military doctrine and system adhered to, or minimally advocated by,
tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of its followers around the world. This
legal-political-military doctrine and system is known as sharia to its adherents,
authoritative leaders and scholars;
(3) Sharia, as defined and understood by traditional and authoritative
sharia scholars and leaders, is a legal-political-military doctrinal system
combined with certain religious beliefs; further, sharia is based historically and
- 2 - 00269676
traditionally on a full corpus of law and jurisprudence termed fiqh and usul al-fiqh,
respectively, dealing with all aspects of a sharia-adherent’s personal and social
life and political society. Sharia serves as national and local law in several
foreign jurisdictions;
(4) Sharia as a political doctrine requires all its adherents to actively
support the establishment of a political society based upon sharia as foundational
or supreme law and the replacement of any political entity not governed by sharia
with a sharia political order;
(5) Sharia requires all its adherents to actively and passively support the
replacement of America’s constitutional republic, including the representative
government of this state with a political system based upon sharia;
(6) Sharia in particular includes a war doctrine known as jihad, which is
an organic, intrinsic and central feature of the laws and traditions of sharia due to
a consensus among sharia authorities throughout the ages;
(7) Jihad and sharia are inextricably linked, with sharia formulating and
commanding jihad, and jihad being waged for the purpose of imposing and
instituting sharia;
(8) The unchanging and ultimate aim of jihad is the imposition of sharia
on all states and nations, including the United States and this state; further,
pursuant to its own dictates, sharia requires the abrogation, destruction, or
violation of the United States and Tennessee Constitutions and the imposition of
sharia through violence and criminal activity;
(9) The jihad groups identified by the federal government as designated
terrorist organizations pursuant to § 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act,
all profess publicly their adherence to sharia and its laws of jihad as the legalpolitical-
military justification for their acts of terrorism;
(10) The imposition of sharia on non-sharia adherent states is to be
brought about both by criminal and violent means, including acts of terrorism as
defined in part 8 of this chapter, and by lawful and non-violent means, including
immigration-fed population growth and the resulting increase of sharia-centric
political influence and power;
(11) The knowing adherence to sharia and to foreign sharia authorities
constitutes a conspiracy to further the legal, political, and military doctrine and
system which embraces the law of jihad;
(12) Furthering the legal, political, and military doctrines and law of jihad
poses an imminent likelihood of violent jihad and acts of terrorism; and
(13) The knowing adherence to sharia and to foreign sharia authorities is
prima facie evidence of an act in support of the overthrow of the United States
government and the government of this state through the abrogation, destruction,
or violation of the United States and Tennessee Constitutions by the likely use of
imminent criminal violence and terrorism with the aim of imposing sharia on the
people of this state.
39-13-903.
The general assembly declares as follows:
(1) The threat from sharia-based jihad and terrorism presents a real and
present danger to the lawful governance of this state and to the peaceful
enjoyment of citizenship by the residents of this state;
- 4 - 00269676
(2) The response to this threat from sharia-based jihad and terrorism and
this state’s interest in interdicting and preventing violence and mayhem within its
borders is a compelling state interest;
(3) The targeted criminal prohibitions set forth in this part are meant to be
a focused and least intrusive method for the state to protect its citizens and
residents from the threat posed by sharia-based jihad and terrorist persons and
organizations; and
(4) This part neither targets, nor incidentally prohibits or inhibits, the
peaceful practice of any religion, and in particular, the practice of Islam by its
adherents. Rather, this part criminalizes only the knowing provision of material
support or resources, as defined in § 39-13-803, to designated sharia
organizations, as defined in § 39-13-904, or to known sharia-jihad organizations
with the intent of furthering their criminal behavior.
39-13-904.
As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Sharia” means the set of rules, precepts, instructions, or edicts which
are said to emanate directly or indirectly from the god of Allah or the prophet
Mohammed and which include directly or indirectly the encouragement of any
person to support the abrogation, destruction, or violation of the United States or
Tennessee Constitutions, or the destruction of the national existence of the
United States or the sovereignty of this state, and which includes among other
methods to achieve these ends, the likely use of imminent violence. Any rule,
precept, instruction, or edict arising directly from the extant rulings of any of the
authoritative schools of Islamic jurisprudence of Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi’i, Hanbali,
Ja’afariya, or Salafi, as those terms are used by sharia adherents, is prima facie
sharia without any further evidentiary showing;
(2) “Sharia organization” means any two (2) or more persons conspiring
to support, or acting in concert in support of, sharia or in furtherance of the
imposition of sharia within any state or territory of the United States; and
(3) “Territory of the United States” means any territory under the civilian
or military control or governance of personnel acting for and on behalf of the
United States government.
39-13-905.
(a)
(1) The attorney general and reporter is authorized to designate an
organization as a sharia organization in accordance with this subsection (a) if the
attorney general and reporter finds that:
(A) The organization knowingly adheres to sharia;
( The organization engages in, or retains the capability and
intent to engage in, an act of terrorism as defined in § 39-13-803; and
(C) The act of terrorism of the organization threatens the security
or public safety of this state's residents.[/color]

Archived