Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AZC: Tennessee bill would jail Shariah followers

China

Bang, sharia followers supporting others in crime or terrorism is certainly a possibility here...and already exists according to the feds

Will it be embraced here?...No, no more than other radicals are(you know,those crazy right wing militia guys)

Sure it is, do you think passing this law will change that?

Of course it won't. And those people who do have harmful intent won't be troubled by the law until after their deed is done.

And after their deed is done, the laws we currently have are plenty enough to prosecute them, including all of their supporters and enablers.

The odds are pretty good that a law like this will result in a hell of a lot more trouble for innocent people who are muslim.

~Bang

Sure it is, do you think passing this law will change that?

Do laws against murder or racketeering change that?

After reading it ,I can see some value if the language was cleaned up a bit to prevent imposing on exercise of religion.

I'm not familiar enough with Tenn law to speak to the need for it in their statutes.

Do laws against murder or racketeering change that?

After reading it ,I can see some value if the language was cleaned up a bit to prevent imposing on exercise of religion.

I'm not familiar enough with Tenn law to speak to the need for it in their statutes.

No, those laws don't change that. I probably have half a dozen posts in this thread making that exact point.

Laws don't deter people who are determined to kill.. whether it's over 20 dollars worth of crack, or a sister's forearm being exposed.

That's why I see no value in it.

It's geared toward a specific segment of the population, and because criminals don't care about laws anyway, the odds that this hurts innocents more than actual terrorists are pretty good.

Because it is geared to a specific segment of the population I see it as a grandstanding move that will do nothing but promote fear and distrust towards that segment.

It is unnecessary.. but it does keep that pre-disposed part of our population terrified of people in a turban.

The laws we currently have to prosecute killers and rapists and such are perfectly able to prosecute any muslim who honor kills or whatever. We don't need special ones just for them.

~Bang

It looks to me like they're trying to link sharia(or some components thereof) to jihad, and criminalize support of organizations that are identified as "sharia organizations that have intent to participate in terrorism or other shenanigans" (there's a couple of pages of dry bureaucratese describing the entire process of how such an organization is identified and whatnot)

There's even a section in the bill trying (probably unsuccessfully) to delineate between people who practice sharia and "the peaceful practice of islam"

~regards

I read the bill and would have to agree.

Somehow, they have reasoned anyone who adheres to aspects of Sharia are jihadist. And jihad is violent terror so Sharia is equal to terrorism. Or at least that's what I think their reasoning is.

But it's just not so. I am not a follower of Islam, but have worked, lived and known followers all my life.

Jihad, as explained to me is a "struggle" and it can be anything. I really think the term can be very broad and is being misinterpreted or at least from my limited perspective.

Sharia is more of a mystery to me but what little I know does not seem that it can be linked to terrorism.

The entire text is fear mongering and IMO written without any thought to the first amendment. Ketron and Matheny should be ashamed.

Fair enough.

Lets see how much support the knuckleheads get.

And FTR, even through my argument here, I dont' think this law will pass.

I still have faith in the sane, but the insane do have a loud voice.

~Bang

Sorry to bring back a page two thread from last night but WHO CALLED CHANNEL 5?:) They ran a story on this proposal last night at about 10:17 no loud insane supporters, just a local Iman trying to explain Shariah, tonight no such story I think that pretty much demonstrates the interest in this bill, it will be DOA and probably not heard of again.

@Burgold thanks for the lesson about how things are supposed to work, but I got it and I really didn't need your lesson.

@Destino you better sharpen you knife, because if you don't like the way the law works in Arizona you sure won't like the one that's probably going to pass here, I guess I'll miss you at the Opry:(

Don't worry if this proposed bill stirs up the insane I will be sure to provide you links to the video so it can confirm the theory that we are bigoted crazies, but don't hold your breath.

Archived