Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arizona Memorial Service/Obama Speech

Hubbs

I recall the VT memorial service -- also on campus and in the basketball arena, as being much more somber.
Maybe it's the difference between a university that was directly attacked with members of the crowd who were friends and classmates of the victims, and a university that just happens to be in the same city as an attack.
I turned it off. Who the **** planned this thing?

This should have been in a venue of 1,000 people. Family and relatives of those involved. Not a stadium. Horrible.

I agree. There are definitely too many people at this event who clearly have no connection to the victims.

This should have been in a venue of 1,000 people. Family and relatives of those involved. Not a stadium. Horrible.

Maybe. But this isn't just about the family. When a congressperson from the state is deliberately targeted and shot, and a judge is killed as well, it is kind of an attack on the entire state in a way. Maybe it is appropriate for the people of the state in general to be invited to a memorial and rally?

I dunno.

From the New York Times: Amid Sadness, Applause and Cheers

The memorial service for the victims of the Arizona shooting was given a more upbeat tone by the presence of thousands of college students at the University of Arizona on Wednesday night.

More than 14,000 people crammed into the McKale Memorial Center to pay tribute to the injured and dead and to hear President Obama speak. About 13,000 more stood in an overflow area.

And while the event was somber in purpose, the sad purpose was broken repeatedly by applause and even cheers.

The audience members applauded for the intern who helped save the life of Representative Gabrielle Giffords. They showed their appreciation for their governor, Jan Brewer, and for their former governor, Janet Napolitano.

And they gave Mr. Obama a standing ovation as he took the stage to offer the nation’s support for the Tucson community.

Savannah Guthrie, an NBC White House correspondent who grew up in Tucson, said in a Twitter message that “McKale Ctr, where the service is happening, is home to UA basketball. People are used to cheers here, not tears.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/amid-sadness-applause-and-cheers/
The scene at McKale Arena at the University of Arizona was a surreal mix of grief and celebration; it seemed to be part church service, part political rally, under the auspices of a college basketball event. Arizona Wildcats championship banners hung on the rafters above while long lines of people queued up at the concession stands for Cokes.

“Omigod where do you think Obama is right now?” one woman said excitedly, about an hour before the service began. (Mr. and Mrs. Obama, at the time, were meeting with family members of the victims).

About two rows away, another woman sat a little apart, in the middle of an empty row, tears trickling down one cheek as the choir sang Amazing Grace. A few seats from her, Susan Spotts, a Tucson homemaker, sat in a wheelchair, taking photos on her mobile phone of her daughter, Crystal, a physical therapy assistant. “Political discourse has no place here,” the elder Mrs. Spotts said.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/obama-urges-civility-in-public-discourse/

Memorial and Rally?...I'm confused

I think that's okay.

Predicto may be right. This may be their release. This is one of those events which is National, local, and individual simultaneously. If this is how these Arizonans need to express themselves then who are we to gainsay them?

More, there's nothing wrong with the notion that we won't let the crazies and ****s break our spirit...

... but to be honest, the reaction and mood confuses me too.

I just think this is being handled poorly. I think Obama will get flak for it, although I don't think he should.

Oh, he would have no matter what. If it had been absolutely somber, low key, and respectful the pundits would have decried making this a TV spectacle and would have declared that this should have been a private moment and shame on Obama for televising it and making it public. Those who are professionally grumpy would have complained no matter what was said or done. If he didn't show and let the governor of the state handle it they would have ridiculed him for that too.

I think that's okay.

Predicto may be right. This may be their release. This is one of those events which is National, local, and individual simultaneously. If this is how these Arizonans need to express themselves then who are we to gainsay them?

More, there's nothing wrong with the notion that we won't let the crazies and ****s break our spirit...

... but to be honest, the reaction and mood confuses me too.

No, it's not just people who need a release. The kinds of cheers coming from the crowd are not of those in mourning but of those unconnected to the event who are happy to see political celebrities. As quoted in the New York Times, “Omigod where do you think Obama is right now?”
I just think this is being handled poorly. I think Obama will get flak for it, although I don't think he should.
I don't think there is much that could be done to *handle* the crowd. They should have made it smaller.

But at the end of the day, you can't blame the speakers or the organizers for how the audience reacts. Individuals are responsible for their own behavior.

Oh, he would have no matter what. If it had been absolutely somber, low key, and respectful the pundits would have decried making this a TV spectacle and would have declared that this should have been a private moment and shame on Obama for televising it and making it public. Those who are professionally grumpy would have complained no matter what was said or done. If he didn't show and let the governor of the state handle it they would have ridiculed him for that too.

You can be sure his speech will be analyzed for opportunities.

The choir is awesome.

Not even seeing it, I bet it's at least partly a political rally. Same as that "memorial service" for Wellstone a while back. All Obama has to do is call out "extremists", and he gets political points. Stay classy, people.

Take out the odd cheering and whistling(Not O's fault) and Obama gave a solid heart felt speech, I didn't think it was political at all.

Not even seeing it... Stay classy, people.

Come on,, really?

I can accept the supposition, but to end it with the accusation rings just a bit hollow.

I am not watching it either, and by the sound of it I'm glad I'm not, that would leave me feeling a bit weird as well.

Sure sounds like misplaced emotion. I can't think of a single reason to cheer.

~Bang

I find it phony when those who don't attend church regularly quote scripture.

I know. I'm a picky S.O.B.

Congress should pass a law that if you don't attend church with the frequency deemed adequate by your opponents then you should not be able to read the bible.

Yes, you are a S.O.B. :ols:

Take out the odd cheering and whistling(Not O's fault) and Obama gave a solid heart felt speech, I didn't think it was political at all.

It was a good speech and well delivered. Can't for the life of me understand why people can't stand back for a minute and look at at lest one thing he does as something other than a nefarious plot.

And for the record. The idiot shot all those people because he is insane!

I watched and thought the speeches were well put together. I thought the crowd noise was somewhat to be expected as well. Its not a football game, but when we're talking about the success stories that come out of this, it is something to be celebrated. And if people want to clap to celebrate a life, then so be it.

Come on,, really?

I can accept the supposition, but to end it with the accusation rings just a bit hollow.

I am not watching it either, and by the sound of it I'm glad I'm not, that would leave me feeling a bit weird as well.

Sure sounds like misplaced emotion. I can't think of a single reason to cheer.

~Bang

My "accusation" can be applied both ways.

I thought it was an appropriate speech, with a mixture of somberness and celebration (if that is the right term -- is it?) for those who did their best under difficult circumstances.

It's a sad day for six people that day, in additional to the critically wounded Giffords and the other shooting victims. Who can't help but feel complete sadness when, for example, you read about the nine-year-old girl who died in this attack after she had gone to the meet-and-greet?

The circumstances of the speech are terribly unfortunate, and, I am sorry to say, I am sure whichever president would have given it, whether it's Presidents Bush or Obama, would have found critics in the wings.

---------- Post added January-13th-2011 at 03:25 AM ----------

I watched and thought the speeches were well put together. I thought the crowd noise was somewhat to be expected as well. Its not a football game, but when we're talking about the success stories that come out of this, it is something to be celebrated. And if people want to clap to celebrate a life, then so be it.

I was thinking along the same lines. I believe some of the crowd wanted to find something positive out of this entire event, and it seemed like they were cheering the efforts of others.

Sad events can sometimes produce weird emotions. People want to be uplifted.

From what I've read of his speech, I will give credit where it is rightfully due to the President. It seems to me from comments read here and other places that overall the event was poorly executed, but so be it. Hopefully this can put to rest all of the 'x caused this' and we can move forward.

I don't think there is much that could be done to *handle* the crowd. They should have made it smaller.

But at the end of the day, you can't blame the speakers or the organizers for how the audience reacts. Individuals are responsible for their own behavior.

Unless the applause was coerced, bribed, recorded, and/or amplified ;)

Archived